Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

icantfindaname posted:

It's a good idea just because it's easier and more efficient for the government just to own and run rent-subsidized housing for the poor than it is to give the subsidy money to private landlords or try to fix prices

Is Sweden the only nation that has experimented with this? Any country currently doing this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Sweden the only nation that has experimented with this? Any country currently doing this?

Chicago did it in the 50s. It broke down because racism and white flight.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is kind of meaningless. If you have a situation where demand outstrips supply, any increase in supply is going to be helpful and will always be taken up by those with the most money to spend unless you have a seller who hates money and profit involved somewhere. Also, the difference in construction cost between a typical 'luxury' apartment and an 'affordable' one is negligible - the luxury is mainly about nice interior decoration rather than anything structural in most cases. That stuff only adds a few (tens of) thousands to the price of the place - hardly a big issue if prices are out of the average guy's reach by a few hundreds of thousands.

It's not meaningless. First off, we are talking renting, not buying. Further, as long as the profit margins on building Class A apartments is larger than building lower Class apartments, builders will continue to chase Class A renters. At some point, the market for Class A might saturate and filter down to the lower Classes, but the over supply has to be large enough to reduce the profit margin from Class A apartments to at or below the level of lower Class apartments. In the meantime you have a two-tier rental market, where building more luxury apartments probably won't increase the availability of lower Class apartments. In the long run, you may be right, but in the short run we need places to rent that don't cost 50% of a paycheck.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 23, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

punk rebel ecks posted:

Google "Pruitt-Igoe"

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

icantfindaname posted:

It's a good idea just because it's easier and more efficient for the government just to own and run rent-subsidized housing for the poor than it is to give the subsidy money to private landlords or try to fix prices

Look, I know a lot of people live in housing, but rich people* use it as an investment, and isn't that what's really important?

*Invest in a house and become rich too! It can't fail!

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

punk rebel ecks posted:

82% of people in Singapore live in government-built housing. Of those, 95% own their unit under a 99-year lease.

Somebody will probably complain about the bland concrete slab design, but concrete slab apartments are really the ideal: they block sound and vibrations, giving a sense of privacy that most other kinds of apartment buildings lack.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.

Curvature of Earth posted:

82% of people in Singapore live in government-built housing. Of those, 95% own their unit under a 99-year lease.

Somebody will probably complain about the bland concrete slab design, but concrete slab apartments are really the ideal: they block sound and vibrations, giving a sense of privacy that most other kinds of apartment buildings lack.

Yeah, this sounds cool:

quote:

Public housing in Singapore is generally not considered as a sign of poverty or lower standards of living, as compared to public housing in other countries. Although they are cheaper than privately built homes in Singapore, they are also built in a variety of quality and finishes to cater to middle and upper middle income groups.

Bolded is the key part, I think. If they had just built a shitload of lovely housing in a cheap, remote area that nobody would actually want to pay good money to live in, I imagine the look article would read differently.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Wait what!? I was under the impression that Singapore was a neoliberal paradise...

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

There have even been experiments in 3D printing concrete:

http://www.contourcrafting.org/

If it could be made to work for high-rise buildings (I've seen concept drawings for that, but actually attempting it is probably a few years off), something like that could make building new housing way faster and way less expensive.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I was under the impression that land prices were the reason housing is so high, not materials. Innovation has been going on for decades that have brought the costs of building housing down, but rent still remains high.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 27, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was under the impression that land prices were the reason housing is so high, not materials.

Land is expensive, but building dense concrete buildings on top of seismically unstable ground in a tropical climate with typhoons is more expensive than building the same building in NYC.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

on the left posted:

Land is expensive, but building dense concrete buildings on top of seismically unstable ground in a tropical climate with typhoons is more expensive than building the same building in NYC.

Ahh. I was referring to in general, but I can see how it could be beneficial to some places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Wait what!? I was under the impression that Singapore was a neoliberal paradise...

I always thought it was more state capitalist on domestic policy, but very pro-free trade because they are basically a port/trade city-state with a big financial sector.

• Locked thread