Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Eripsa posted:

People are thrilled about social networks because they are domesticated consumers who have no idea they are alive.

Ahhhhhhh, there we go. I'm sorry I ever doubted you still had it, Eripsa.

quote:

A digitally-enhanced population, properly organized, should be able to steamroll it's paper ballot competition, the way Deep Blue can beat an abacus at chess. Instead we have a generation of people dumping ice water on their heads and feeling proud of themselves for doing something worthwhile. Whether or not they are entertained, they are letting the digital age pass them by.

Sing, goddess, the rage of Eripsa’s son Strangecoin
and its devastation, which put pains thousandfold upon the consumer,
hurled in their multitudes to the house of Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Eripsa posted:

People are thrilled about social networks because they are domesticated consumers who have no idea they are alive.

So you're with the "consumers just don't know what's good for them" school of product/service design. I don't think it bodes well.

quote:

I'm complaining about the fact that our social networks are really lovely at doing anything constructive. A successful kickstarter campaign can be a crapshoot, and there's no way to manage the overall distribution and concentration of crowdsourced funds and labor.

On the other hand, some are successful, and people seem to be enjoying them very much, so in that sense they seem to be managing fine.

quote:

If we imagine the digital citizens as a country, we're blowing our GDP on potato salad and indie games, which is a pretty lovely haul given the number of work-hours we've put in.

Now we're in the "I decide what's important for people" school of social analysis. There are also kickstarters for other consumer items, and occasionally more useful social goals. But really, thankfully, most of the serious research and product development is done with more traditional social networks (companies, VC, government funding, etc), so I don't see what the problem is. It is strange you are putting so much emphasis on what is really a marginal portion of world commerce. It is as if you are prejudiced towards digital social networks or something.

quote:

A digitally-enhanced population, properly organized, should be able to steamroll it's paper ballot competition, the way Deep Blue can beat an abacus at chess. Instead we have a generation of people dumping ice water on their heads and feeling proud of themselves for doing something worthwhile. Whether or not they are entertained, they are letting the digital age pass them by.

If you say so. Personally, I think humanity has experimented plenty of times with failed digital enhancement of its economy, until it seems to have coalesced on a way where these enhancements do tend to work quite well. Open government initiatives give citizens a better idea of what their elected officials and administrators are doing, and a variety of apps are being tested to provide instantaneous feedback to authorities about hazards, not to mention the completely undirected improvement in emergency response to to the ubiquity of cell-phones. No, I think we're doing fine, thanks.

Really, you may want to learn what is actually happening in the world before you present us with some over-arching solution to problems which may just not be as big as you make them sound.

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Proud future citizen of Pitcairn.

Pitcairn is the perfect place for me to set up my utopia!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, I think we're doing fine, thanks.

What the gently caress world do you live in.

I'm not claiming I know best for anyone; I'm trying very hard to argue that they know best for themselves, but that they lack the tools to do anything about it, and in fact that the tools they have are actually built to actively corrupt their ability to do anything about it.

I don't mean to say that people are too stupid to know what's good for them. On the contrary, I try to argue that consumer alienation makes us overeager for social connection, willing to put up with unreasonable abuse for the sense of a community. I'm saying it's hosed up that they put up with all this bullshit, but that bullshit is precisely what is preventing them from communing properly.

The digital age came and unlocked our shackles, and we were so overcome with joy that we ran headlong for the gate without taking them off, so we're still tripping and stumbling over them anyway. But at least we're moving; they'll fall off eventually.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Eripsa posted:

The digital age came and unlocked our shackles, and we were so overcome with joy that we ran headlong for the gate without taking them off, so we're still tripping and stumbling over them anyway. But at least we're moving; they'll fall off eventually.

Remember last thread when I accused you of being up your own rear end with messianic delusions? This sorta poo poo right here, that's why, in case you forgot.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Eripsa posted:

What the gently caress world do you live in.

I live in a world where the main challenges have nothing to do with how people are not maximizing the potential use of social media, and everything to do with income and capital inequality, climate change, resource scarcity, and xenophobia. I live in a world where the Big Technology Smart Folks from Silicon Valley are constantly telling us they have the final solution, only to come short a decade later (e.g. how well the Gates Foundation has done with its Global Health Initiative or all this charter nonsense).

So in my world, people not using social media to Eripsa's satisfaction, and buzzwords about how to fix that "problem" is not that big of a deal, sorry.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I closed my Facebook, only to find myself shackled to the nightmare that is
face-to-face communication

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I live in a world where the main challenges have nothing to do with how people are not maximizing the potential use of social media, and everything to do with income and capital inequality, climate change, resource scarcity, and xenophobia. I live in a world where the Big Technology Smart Folks from Silicon Valley are constantly telling us they have the final solution, only to come short a decade later (e.g. how well the Gates Foundation has done with its Global Health Initiative or all this charter nonsense).

So in my world, people not using social media to Eripsa's satisfaction, and buzzwords about how to fix that "problem" is not that big of a deal, sorry.

I agree with you entirely that your list of problems outweigh the problems with social media, many many times over.

However, I'm also arguing that we've proven ourselves to be basically powerless in the face of these problems. Climate change especially is set to literally destroy cities and cause a hell of a lot of death and suffering and there's basically not a goddamned thing we can do about it given the political and economic climate that exists.

So I'm arguing we need to change the political climate, and create social organizations that can actually pull some political weight, because right now our social networks are completely hollow shells that can't do anything at all. We have all these fancy digital tools for organizing the people, and none of it can be put to effective use that creates real social change.

I'm imagining social networks that have the stature and influence of corporations or political parties, that can compete at the level of the super-persons whose civil status has taken primacy.

Social networks as they exist today are toys, but in the hands of an organized populace they can become real social tools. We don't have any today, but we desperately need them if we are to seriously address any of the problems you mention. I think fixing our social networks to be functional engines of social change is a necessary step in addressing any of the problems you mention.

Yes of course there are occasional success stories online, but they are haphazard and uncontrolled and accomplished without any greater sense of purpose or direction. I'm not claiming that I or anyone else can give them this direction; I'm claiming that generating this sense of communal purpose is what happens in communities that are allowed to genuinely organize themselves. And as long as our online communities are designed to prevent this from happening we'll remain powerless to address our problems.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When you make your social network with a sense of community I'll be happy to sign up. Also the sense of community will need to include both my 69 year old aunt who is uncomfortable around minorities and my 15 year old genderqueer cousin.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eripsa posted:

Your guess is right, I'm working with people who are about to announce a thing, and I wrote this as a propaganda piece to set the conceptual backdrop for what we're doing. Since I want to talk about the propaganda, and since the thing hasn't been announced, I changed it so as to not play coy.

I ain't here to plug a thing. I'm here to talk marbles.

This is going to come off harsh, but if you are at all serious about the thing you are planning on doing, hire or find someone capable in public relations to do that work for you.

I mean, ignoring the 'wall of text' as a way to set the conceptual backdrop for the thing you're doing, you just used the word propaganda in an attempt to describe it. Anyone with any sort of background in marketing, advertising, sales... human interaction basically, will tell you that you don't use the word propaganda to describe something you want to be thought of as positive. Propaganda is generally considered to be information disseminated to support a particular position or viewpoint that is of a biased or misleading nature. You may have good ideas, but you are awful at communicating them.

I'm not trying to be pedantic or taking pot shots at you, this is just my honest suggestion having read a lot of your stuff over time.

quote:

I agree with you entirely that your list of problems outweigh the problems with social media, many many times over.

However, I'm also arguing that we've proven ourselves to be basically powerless in the face of these problems. Climate change especially is set to literally destroy cities and cause a hell of a lot of death and suffering and there's basically not a goddamned thing we can do about it given the political and economic climate that exists.

So I'm arguing we need to change the political climate, and create social organizations that can actually pull some political weight, because right now our social networks are completely hollow shells that can't do anything at all. We have all these fancy digital tools for organizing the people, and none of it can be put to effective use that creates real social change.

I'm imagining social networks that have the stature and influence of corporations or political parties, that can compete at the level of the super-persons whose civil status has taken primacy.

Social networks as they exist today are toys, but in the hands of an organized populace they can become real social tools. We don't have any today, but we desperately need them if we are to seriously address any of the problems you mention. I think fixing our social networks to be functional engines of social change is a necessary step in addressing any of the problems you mention.

Yes of course there are occasional success stories online, but they are haphazard and uncontrolled and accomplished without any greater sense of purpose or direction. I'm not claiming that I or anyone else can give them this direction; I'm claiming that generating this sense of communal purpose is what happens in communities that are allowed to genuinely organize themselves. And as long as our online communities are designed to prevent this from happening we'll remain powerless to address our problems.

So I'll bite if no one else will. Can you give us a general run-down and/or birds eye view of your suggested 'fix'? As I said, I'm remarkably sympathetic to your point of view, and I actually agree with some of your assumptions about social networking. In theory people could, and should be able to do a lot more with social networking than as a primary source of cat pictures, but so much of what you are saying sounds like pie in the sky fantasy.

As just one example, I am self employed. A big part of my job is spent advertising on various social networking sites, and I feel the pain of every failed kickstarter that had a great idea that went unnoticed. How would you redesign social networks in such a way that they would be more efficient for me to drive people towards my work, since as of right now I rely almost entirely on simple numbers, getting a large following to cause my work to go 'viral' and thus support my living.

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

CheesyDog posted:

When you make your social network with a sense of community I'll be happy to sign up. Also the sense of community will need to include both my 69 year old aunt who is uncomfortable around minorities and my 15 year old genderqueer cousin.

You have to live your life managing these relationships, and you deserve a social network that can help you do it on your terms. Any service that isn't allowing you to construct your identity and communities on your terms is exploiting you.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Eripsa posted:

Any service that isn't allowing you to construct your identity and communities on your terms is exploiting you.

So life?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any family that has Thanksgiving dinner without consulting an efficiency heuristic to maximize satisfaction with social interactions and food choices is exploiting you.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CheesyDog posted:

The funny thing is this is exactly what Google+ is trying to do with Circles. Share your Tumblr SJW poo poo to one circle, send baby pictures to the other circle. Heck, you can even sorta-kinda do it with Facebook visibility controls and lists.

Nobody likes it and/or cares, they don't really like that 69 year old aunt anyway and don't want an endless stream of internet poo poo that was old 5 years ago, even if it is "important and high-impact" by virtue of being forwarded fifty billion times.

In fact Twitter actually kind of takes that approach, the level of the white noise (re-tweets) more or less is your "impact measurement". The problem is that ~*internet awareness*~ and ~*internet activism*~ don't have any real-world impact, they're just slacktivism.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 17, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Eripsa posted:

I'm so employed that I bought my old account back.

:neckbeard:

quote:

I'm not going anywhere.

:neckbeard::neckbeard::neckbeard:

Eripsa posted:

I'm not claiming I know best for anyone; I'm trying very hard to argue that they know best for themselves, but that they lack the tools to do anything about it, and in fact that the tools they have are actually built to actively corrupt their ability to do anything about it.

I don't mean to say that people are too stupid to know what's good for them. On the contrary, I try to argue that consumer alienation makes us overeager for social connection, willing to put up with unreasonable abuse for the sense of a community. I'm saying it's hosed up that they put up with all this bullshit, but that bullshit is precisely what is preventing them from communing properly.

My heart's glad that you're frustrated Erips, frustration can be a sign of the heart opening. And your heart's opening; I can tell because I can now tolerate whole stretches of your writing.

It's good that you're frustrated but you need some basic tools to address that frustration. You need to assign yourself to a tribe, Eripsa. Engineers, economists, human services workers, philosophers, computer scientists--and I mention these last two because I know that while you have, uh, "some familiarity" with computer science and philosophy, we cannot regard it as a familiarity beyond the survey level. *assumes horse stance, grunting tone* Yer still wanting depth, Eripsa. You have got to spend some time doing field work, or analyzing somebody else's field work or soooomething because this cheerleader stuff (seriously you told your readers "good job for building facebook") is real surface-level and is in the service, p.s., of nothing, of no specific ideas whatever.

If you're launching somebody's product well let's have the product, because without something tangible this OP turns into vapor real quick.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 17, 2014

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Caros posted:

You may have good ideas, but you are awful at communicating them.

I am writing from a perspective, and I take that perspective to have social and political implications that I'm trying to articulate. I'm not selling a product, and I'm not interested in making money, so I'm not going to speak advertese to try and convince you that what I'm doing is safe and legitimate. I'm a philosopher and I'm interested in the analysis of identity, community, technology, and capital. I want to get the analysis right, because I think a clear diagnosis of the problem will help us build something better. I'm here to talk about that problem, not to rally anyone to any social movement.

quote:

Can you give us a general run-down and/or birds eye view of your suggested 'fix'?

The details of the fix won't come as a shock to any of the marble enthusiasts in the crowd, but the idea is in the essay. Build a social network that bakes a community-sensitive reputation system directly into every interaction. We're using an analogy to electrical circuit diagrams, with users as active electrical components modulating the currency as it flows by. By engaging with the network, the user can build up charge, which they can selectively spend on content to amplify the signal and direct its flow across the network. Communities can pool resources to operate campaigns, etc. The point is that both the structure of the network and the distribution of content can be acted on directly, turning a mostly passive and responsive network into an active human computing machine.

Speaking of which, the first issue of the Human Computation journal just came out =)

http://hcjournal.org/ojs/index.php?journal=jhc&page=pages&op=view&path%5B%5D=current-issue

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

SedanChair posted:

You need to assign yourself to a tribe, Eripsa.

I teach. It's the best I can do.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Eripsa posted:

The details of the fix won't come as a shock to any of the marble enthusiasts in the crowd, but the idea is in the essay. Build a social network that bakes a community-sensitive reputation system directly into every interaction. We're using an analogy to electrical circuit diagrams, with users as active electrical components modulating the currency as it flows by. By engaging with the network, the user can build up charge, which they can selectively spend on content to amplify the signal and direct its flow across the network. Communities can pool resources to operate campaigns, etc. The point is that both the structure of the network and the distribution of content can be acted on directly, turning a mostly passive and responsive network into an active human computing machine.

I am seriously not seeing the difference between this and Facebook, or twitter, or tumblr, or one's old-fashioned social circle, or family, or any other interaction already there. Information transfer is rarely passive outside of broadcast media. And even then you change the channel, or you hear about this new show through gossip, or you reinforce cliches from familiar broadcasts as a sense of community.

As for separating family and friends, Facebook can do that already, and even if not, I could always choose to not add my family and instead relegate them to my "via email" or "via phone" or "via Thanksgiving dinner and gossip from my closer relatives".

I do not see a lot of insight here that goes beyond, I don't know, Stafford Beer's Viable System Model, and he's actually made attempts to apply it in practice before writing about it, and is totally honest with his failures. Strongly recommend 2nd Ed. of "Brain of the Firm", by the way.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Eripsa posted:

Speaking of which, the first issue of the Human Computation journal just came out =)

http://hcjournal.org/ojs/index.php?journal=jhc&page=pages&op=view&path%5B%5D=current-issue

Translation: "What fresh depths of academic charlatanism and delusion have I set myself up as the willing curator of?"

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 17, 2014

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps some sort of "karma" system, where actions can be voted "up" or "down" by the community!

Edit: seriously that's an exact description of Reddit for Chrissake. This is whuffies and Strangecoin 2.0.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eripsa posted:

You have such a positive view of people it's no wonder your ideas are so popular.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eripsa posted:

I am writing from a perspective, and I take that perspective to have social and political implications that I'm trying to articulate. I'm not selling a product, and I'm not interested in making money, so I'm not going to speak advertise to try and convince you that what I'm doing is safe and legitimate. I'm a philosopher and I'm interested in the analysis of identity, community, technology, and capital. I want to get the analysis right, because I think a clear diagnosis of the problem will help us build something better. I'm here to talk about that problem, not to rally anyone to any social movement.

Okay? You know what helps with a clear diagnosis of something, especially when dealing with the layman? Speaking plainly. Even assuming you aren't planning on selling anything, you are by your own admission, planning on releasing something in the near future that works towards your goals, something people would need to adopt for it to be successful.

I don't really have any stake in your success or failure, but you came here to solicit discussion, I assume about your 'propaganda'. One of the things that I am telling you as a person with no real care as to your success or failure is that your inability to connect with your reader negatively impacts your ability to communicate with them in a way that would be beneficial to both of you.

And just as a total aside, A philosopher? Really? You'll forgive my incredulity, but I have yet to meet, hear of or talk to a single living person in my lifetime who identified themselves as a philosopher who wasn't entirely up their own rear end. Most people with degrees in the subject don't call themselves philosophers, and much like your use of the word propaganda, it is a word that sets you up for failure. It creates negative connotations with you and what you are talking about in the minds of the people you are talking with, because who the gently caress calls themselves a philosopher in TTYOL 2014

Just trying to be helpful. Now, to the meat of the work.

quote:

Those aren't details in the sense that I was asking for, but I can understand keeping things general for the purposes of this conversation since for a lot of us (myself included even) technical talk might go over our heads. It does feel really buzzwordy, just as a heads up.

So I'll bite with a few more questions to move things along:

- How is this different from Reddit, but with social networking and the blockchain. (So hard not to say 'but with bitcoin')
- No, really, how is it in any way different from a standard internet reputation system that has existed in practice and in theory for over a decade.
- How does one 'build a charge'. Specifically, what is the mechanism behind this? How does one 'engage' the network.
- How does someone 'direct' content across the network? Specifically, how is this different from 'sharing'.
- How is someone with a large 'charge' different from someone with a lot of facebook followers? I suspect the answer is that to build a charge requires doing something instead of merely existing.
- What safeguards do you have in mind to keep this system from being viciously exploited?

Those are just off the top of my head. I don't want to deluge you too much so I'll go back to borderlands and wait to see the answers to these first.

Caros fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 17, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

CheesyDog posted:

Perhaps some sort of "karma" system, where actions can be voted "up" or "down" by the community!

Edit: seriously that's an exact description of Reddit for Chrissake. This is whuffies and Strangecoin 2.0.

Was strangecoin that one with the ridiculous diagrams?

And the people in the libertarian thread said you couldn't find love. Shows what they know.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?

CheesyDog posted:

Your Karma on Reddit has no effect on the way your content propagates through the network. Partly because Reddit is not a "network" but rather a messageboard and partly because, as Reddit state themselves, it's nothing more than your score in the game - a "meaningless" number.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Eripsa posted:

Our homes are decentralized.
:stare: (one of many)

I like that for the obvious analogy to a physical house, it doesn't work. So instead it's an analogy for the unspoken social mores people have inside a home.

How commonplace is it to have specific rules about what is or isn't allowed in a house? I don't think people normally go into detail about what that is beyond 'being respectful of people/property'. The only common one is whether you are allowed to wear shoes inside or not. People generally act the same way when interacting on facebook, you're not going to send grandma photos of your college shenanigans. I think you are asking for things that most people do not care about or want.

quote:

Today’s social network continues the tradition of encouraging people to fit cookie-cutter identities to maximize advertising revenue. No consideration is paid to how these constraints on identity formation might impact our ability to form and sustain a vibrant community.
This has been true since time immemorial. Maybe the reason for it goes beyond the technical ability to manage it.

quote:

We have no other tools for judging the success of our activity online except in terms of raw audience size.
Do we need to? The sort of people who measure and keep track of their personal successes in fine detail are typically not nice, interesting or complex people.

quote:

Meanwhile, all the attention we pay goes to waste, utterly failing to secure the expected return on investment, having been traded away for dollar of ad space. We still dismiss hashtag campaigns as slacktivism, as if our impotence were a character flaw.
It is just that you are too old to get social media?
http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/generation-like-the-kids-sell-out-but-dont-know-what-1524517417

---

This whole post isn't very good because the social networks are deliberately designed to be like rolodexes with the 'interesting' behaviours being something you pay for (targeting populations with adverts/promotions). What you are proposing is yet another impossibly smart AI to do something no one was asking for. Maybe a facebook with reddit-like social spaces, curated with the assistance of the AI gods.

Besides, google search is already doing this for your search results on a more practical level. When it made the rounds on news blogs, the public really didn't like the idea (despite it giving more relevant results).
You mean, my search results are going to be a big echo chamber?!?
Will creationists only ever see results supporting intelligent design?!?

If you cranked out one of these posts a day, you could become a social media blogger.
Your written comprehension has reached the rank of: an incomprehensible TEDx speech.
It is a decent improvement over your previous efforts :tipshat:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kane posted:

Your Karma on Reddit has no effect on the way your content propagates through the network. Partly because Reddit is not a "network" but rather a messageboard and partly because, as Reddit state themselves, it's nothing more than your score in the game - a "meaningless" number.

I can't recall which one it was, but either old Digg or some other aggregator definitely gave more influence to users with more positive scores.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Can you walk us through an concrete example of how people will use the network? Say I take a photo of a cool dog I saw. I want my friends to see this cool dog. How do I show this picture to my friends? What do they do with it when they see it?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Chris Isaak is here because this has been a wicked game so far!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I'm not done reading this thread yet, but goddamn this is amazing.

-EDIT-

This thread isn't moving as near fast as I thought. I could have sworn there was a whole 'nother page to read.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

http://hcjournal.org/ojs/index.php?journal=jhc&page=pages&op=view&path=editorial-team

Some of these editor's names sound familiar.
I wonder who they are :cb:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tokamak posted:

http://hcjournal.org/ojs/index.php?journal=jhc&page=pages&op=view&path=editorial-team

Some of these editor's names sound familiar.
I wonder who they are :cb:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok, let's have a go at this. I'm just gonna skip ahead to your most recent posts and point out your obvious errors.

Eripsa posted:

I'm a philosopher

No, you aren't. You think that you are because you have access to a thesaurus and you confuse verbosity with substance of thought. Actual philosophers can say more in a single sentence than you have ever said in any of the threads you've made here on these forums combined. When you learn to condense your ideas into real thoughts that others can understand and digest then you'll be that much closer to actually be a philosopher. You still wont be one, but you'll be closer to your goal.

Eripsa posted:

and I'm interested in the analysis of identity, community, technology, and capital. I want to get the analysis right, because I think a clear diagnosis of the problem will help us build something better.

Once again you come to us with grand sweeping statements and ideals but nothing to back them up and nothing to show for them. Could you really not have waited two or three more days to post this when you would (supposedly) have had something real and tangible to show us? Are you a child that can't contain his excitement for Christmas and rips open his presents the night before?

Eripsa posted:

I'm here to talk about that problem, not to rally anyone to any social movement.

Now this is an outright lie, Eripsa, and you know it. This is, what, your fourth thread? And Every. Singly One. was about rallying people to your cause du jour. Don't insult our intelligence.

Eripsa posted:

So what you're saying is that after all the previous threads, you learned absolutely nothing from them? Not a single thread? These are the same ideas that were ripped apart to shreds hundreds of times in the last thread alone. All you've done is taken those shreds, pieced them back together, and changed the buzzwords around. Did you think we wouldn't notice, that we would be awed by your "new" idea?

Eripsa posted:

I teach. It's the best I can do.

You are not a teacher and even if you were you would be absolutely awful at it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
hey eripsa, what did you think of that trans techno fascism lady who was on twitter a while back?

rudatron fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 17, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Who What Now posted:

I'm not done reading this thread yet, but goddamn this is amazing.

his last thread was inspirational to me

CheesyDog posted:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What are your thoughts on the use of twitter throughout the Arab Spring, Eripsa?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Volkerball posted:

What are your thoughts on the use of twitter throughout the Arab Spring, Eripsa?

He's very proud to have retroactively inspired them with his ideas.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eripsa, let's say that your new social network site comes out. Why should I believe it won't be 99% old memes, Dr. Who gifs, and porn, just like everything else?

edit: I'm not just being snarky, I don't understand why you think it would be different.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Who What Now posted:

No, you aren't. You think that you are because you have access to a thesaurus and you confuse verbosity with substance of thought. Actual philosophers can say more in a single sentence than you have ever said in any of the threads you've made here on these forums combined. When you learn to condense your ideas into real thoughts that others can understand and digest then you'll be that much closer to actually be a philosopher. You still wont be one, but you'll be closer to your goal.

Just for fun I asked my Wife, sister, mother, best friend and a work friend what the first word that came to mind when I asked: "What would be your first impression of someone you met who described himself as a Philospher?"

The answers were: rear end in a top hat, Idiot, Smug, rear end in a top hat, and Smug rear end in a top hat.

Just want to throw that out there. I'm not saying that Erpisa is any of those things, merely going back to my argument that he needs to work on his word choice, because bad word choice can end public interest in an argument faster than anything.

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 17, 2014

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

You opened with what amounts to:

• Real life interactions are vastly more valuable than online interactions.

• Social networks merely conduct the social behavior humans are inclined to rather than actually generate those behaviors.

• A lovely UI is overcome by a good community with good ideas.

All pretty legit points. And then you close by talking about your new social network (in other words your new UI) and how awesome it will be. The gently caress, man.

I don't get it. I will read some opaque-as-gently caress passages, but that article... I'm angry I read it, man. Reading emfive's reply elicited a better reaction for me than the whole of that article; at least I laughed my rear end off.

emfive posted:

I've got my double-barreled attention ball hat on and I'm blastin' away at this thread

:f5: :munch: :guinness: :horse:

Gets me even now :cawg:

Eripsa, at least you inspired me to re-read Bassguitarhero's article, cause I wish I could write even half as well as him (and I needed a mental palate cleanser after yours, no offense): https://medium.com/@bassguitarhero/why-america-can-never-forgive-the-african-american-134030415738

(also he happens to make a much more salient point about the use of social networks facilitating existing human behaviors with regard to his using online fundraisers as a gauge of real life community intent while he goes on discussing a much more important social ill than how facebook is dogshit)

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

I will add these to the Eternal Archive, so that we may always remember Eripsa's countless failures.

• Locked thread