Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

hemophilia posted:

soft g is grammatically correct. Sorry weirdos who use hard g, you're grammer is all hosed up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_and_soft_G

quote:

In English orthography, the pronunciation of hard ⟨g⟩ is /ɡ/ and that of soft ⟨g⟩ is /dʒ/; in a number of French loanwords, such as rouge and genre, soft ⟨g⟩ is /ʒ/. In word roots of Greco-Latinate origin, the soft ⟨g⟩ pronunciation occurs before ⟨i e y⟩ while the hard ⟨g⟩ pronunciation occurs elsewhere. [2] In words of Germanic origin, and loans from other sources, the hard pronunciation may occur before ⟨i e y⟩ as well (as in get and gill).

So, hard g is still fine. Unless GIF comes from the latin giffus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
its hard g and ill loving FIGHT you irl if you disagree you snot nosed little liberal SHITbird

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I know exactly one person who says jiff. he does it on purpose because he knows it sounds stupid but will defend its correctness. he isnt my friend

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I like jiff, it sounds better.

Suck a dick world.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

graphics

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
my favorite part of the losers who have meltdowns over this poo poo is their insistence that there is no such thing as a soft g ever, anywhere

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

proof of concept posted:

my favorite part of the losers who have meltdowns over this poo poo is their insistence that there is no such thing as a soft g ever, anywhere

there are a lot of words with soft Gs, such as not graphics

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Yeah, but has the guy offered any kind of reason WHY he says it's "jiff"?

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Breadallelogram posted:

there are a lot of words with soft Gs, such as not graphics

lol you loving crybaby

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

proof of concept posted:

lol you loving crybaby

i'm really shaken up about it

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
this is like an argument from 1993

its still pronounced jiff

i was a webmaster so i know

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
enough to get into an argument that requires you to ignore soft g's and other mismatched acronym/component word pronunciations

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

proof of concept posted:

enough to get into an argument that requires you to ignore soft g's and other mismatched acronym/component word pronunciations

graphics interchange format

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
it's pronounced lye-nucks

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Breadallelogram posted:

graphics interchange format

lol you loving crybaby

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

any questions? what, people are still confused? one more time

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

thanks I didn't want to have to type it again

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
np glad to help

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Lots of acronyms aren't pronounced anything like the individual words that make them up, I dunno why everyone is so hung up on the g standing for graphics. When I saw gif it looked like gist or giraffe to me, gi in like the two first examples I could think of gi being together at the start of a word*. I always pronounced it gif until a sperglord friend tried to insist it was a hard g. I feel vindicated the creator agrees with me.

*I mean I guess giddy and git and such are hard but I've literally never heard someone say those words irl.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
pronouncing it "jif" is improper english because it's clearly spelled "gif" and theres really no historical indicators or otherwise that it should be pronounced with the soft g so even if the person who invented the gif says it's pronounced "jif" they are wrong and do not know how to pronounce things and no, they don't get to decide how it's pronounced. the english language does. it's an abbreviation, not some fancy foreign word.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

gift

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Tsinava posted:

pronouncing it "jif" is improper english because it's clearly spelled "gif" and theres really no historical indicators or otherwise that it should be pronounced with the soft g so even if the person who invented the gif says it's pronounced "jif" they are wrong and do not know how to pronounce things and no, they don't get to decide how it's pronounced. the english language does. it's an abbreviation, not some fancy foreign word.
http://www.theschoolhouse.us/lessons/lesson53.html

Seriously dude even little kids learn the g is often soft when followed by an i, e, or y.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Tsinava posted:

also this

basically, english is a germanic language with a lot of romance loan words. gif being created solely within the realm of english, not derived from french or italian like most soft gi words, means it should abide by english/germanic pronunciations, like gift/give/girl

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Seriously dude even little kids learn the g is often soft when followed by an i, e, or y.

no, you see, there is no such thing as a soft g, in any word, ever

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

proof of concept posted:

no, you see, there is no such thing as a soft g, in any word, ever

literally nobody in the world is saying that you stupid git

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

ArbitraryC posted:

hmm. i thought it only applied to i when the i was sounded out as "ay" for some reason. i guess im WRONG!!!!!

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

LifeSizePotato posted:

literally nobody in the world is saying that you stupid git

jit

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

gift

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
actually i think the rule changes when you start the word with a letter g and a soft i.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
can someone give me a word that starts with a soft g and a soft i that isn't gif?

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
oh oh i got one! gigolo. lets find another.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

you have to have a gimped brain to pronounce it jiff

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
agreed. Jif is a brand of peanut butter.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
general
giant
gentleman
gif

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Philthy posted:

general
giant
gentleman

Soft G, short I. none of these fit that criteria! I'm sorry!

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

maybe the guy saying it's pronounced "jiff" was just a marketing gimmick

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Stink Billyums posted:

it's pronounced lye-nucks

:can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Tsinava posted:

Soft G, short I. none of these fit that criteria! I'm sorry!

Gist
Ginger (bonus both g's are soft)
Giraffe

if you include y that makes a soft i sound

gym
gyp

if you include words that have soft g soft i in middle of the word

digit
engine
imagine
margin
rigid
tragic

I pulled these off the worksheet for literal children but I'm sure you could find more if you looked.

• Locked thread