Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

Gist
Ginger (bonus both g's are soft)
Giraffe

french
french
french

is the gif creator a french guy? could explain things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
juzzle my gizz op

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

LifeSizePotato posted:

i don't care what some spergy "creator" of the format says. he has no jurisdiction over language. english has rules, and gif is pronounced with a hard g.

gif is an acronym, the creator is an idiot to think he can dictate how people pronounce an acronym

gently caress him I say

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

LifeSizePotato posted:

french
french
french

is the gif creator a french guy? could explain things.
What about literally any other word in that list I provided? And why would that matter anyways? They're all english words in an english dictionary for english speaking people to use. I don't think I've ever heard someone say git or giddy but I sure as gently caress have heard people say ginger, gist, gypped, and gym, a g followed by a soft i naturally seems like it would also be soft to me as a native english speaker.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

What about literally any other word in that list I provided? And why would that matter anyways? They're all english words in an english dictionary for english speaking people to use. I don't think I've ever heard someone say git or giddy but I sure as gently caress have heard people say ginger, gist, gypped, and gym, a g followed by a soft i naturally seems like it would also be soft to me as a native english speaker.

i've also gathered that you literally have asperjer's

i ignored the other ones because they're irrelevant, unlike gift/give/girl/gimmick/gill as mentioned earlier

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

who cares. all of you do.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
If you say the letter g it's literally a soft g.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

ArbitraryC posted:

GIF stands for Graphics Internet Format. Pronouncing it with the hard G makes it less confusing as an acronym because if you pronounce it with a soft G it indicates the G word in GIF is also pronounced with a soft G which it isn't.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Yeah, but guys, how do you say png?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Wooten posted:

mods ban this man for making me say nig and thats racist

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

hands up how many of you soft g folks also get upset at 'aluminum' and missing u's in color/favor/armor/etc.?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

What about 'garage'?

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

hands up how many of you soft g folks also get upset at 'aluminum' and missing u's in color/favor/armor/etc.?

Or using z in places of an s - nationalize, cauterize, etc.

And also split infinitives.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 17, 2014

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Wooten posted:

P'ng

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cthulu Carl posted:

What about 'garage'?

"car hole"

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Wooten posted:

i bet the soft g doofuses think it's "pong"

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

if you're trying to suggest the soft g thing is a british english thing then you're wrong

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Let's go fly a gite

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"House vagina"

Wait, is that a hard G or soft G?!!! :derp:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Cthulu Carl posted:

"House vagina"

Wait, is that a hard G or soft G?!!! :derp:

you're freakin me out man

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I thought it was pronounced "dot gee eye eff."

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

LifeSizePotato posted:

english has rules, and gif is pronounced with a hard g.

Ahem.
http://youtu.be/0TjxgMwNabo

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

itsgotmetoo posted:

I thought it was pronounced "dot gee eye eff."

Ah..the great SQL debate. Most people say "ess queue el", but who got time for that. I say "sequel".

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i usually say it with a hard g but i dont really care how people say it

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Croc Monster posted:

Most people say "ess queue el".

i disagree, basically everyone i've ever heard say it out loud has said "sequel" (this is a good thing)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

The Wizard of Poz posted:

i disagree, basically everyone i've ever heard say it out loud has said "sequel" (this is a good thing)

thats usu how i hear it

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

thats usu how i hear it

same

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I guess I know a bunch of retards. They all spell it out. I say "sequel" too.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Croc Monster posted:

I guess I know a bunch of retards. They all spell it out. I say "sequel" too.

ask these clueless dummies about gif and report back

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I already know the answer because we had that discussion too. Most pronounce it jiff. I was one of the few hard g-ers.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Croc Monster posted:

I already know the answer because we had that discussion too. Most pronounce it jiff. I was one of the few hard g-ers.

You are a smart among the stupids

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

LifeSizePotato posted:

i don't care what some spergy "creator" of the format says. he has no jurisdiction over language. english has rules, and gif is pronounced with a hard g.

like gin you mean?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
this is important to me

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

chippy posted:

like gin you mean?

It's spelled djinn

This guy :rolleyes:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

gift or jift

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't care, op

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

The Wizard of Poz posted:

You are a smart among the stupids

These were not clever men. It was a bunch of Accenture bozos with whom I collaborated as a contractor. Over lunch one day we covered a whole bunch of acronyms. Almost all of them spelled everything out. Some, like me, pronounced things that were pronounceable (ORM rhymed with dorm, JPG was jay-peg, etc.) and spelled out the rest (PNG was pee en gee, etc.)

A bunch of them got seriously riled up and actually walked away from the convo in genuine huffy anger. The rift was irreparable, and it was an uncomfortable project to work on from then on in. Thankfully it was a short-term gig. All was made worse by the fact that these idiots were only mediocre programmers, and were wrapped way too tight and represented everything horrible about big name consulting firms like Accenture, IBM, Oracle, etc.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
nobody ever pronounced it jiff, don't worry about it my african american

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Croc Monster posted:

These were not clever men. It was a bunch of Accenture bozos with whom I collaborated as a contractor. Over lunch one day we covered a whole bunch of acronyms. Almost all of them spelled everything out. Some, like me, pronounced things that were pronounceable (ORM rhymed with dorm, JPG was jay-peg, etc.) and spelled out the rest (PNG was pee en gee, etc.)

A bunch of them got seriously riled up and actually walked away from the convo in genuine huffy anger. The rift was irreparable, and it was an uncomfortable project to work on from then on in. Thankfully it was a short-term gig. All was made worse by the fact that these idiots were only mediocre programmers, and were wrapped way too tight and represented everything horrible about big name consulting firms like Accenture, IBM, Oracle, etc.

It's jay-pej, idiot.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Croc Monster posted:

Ah..the great SQL debate. Most people say "ess queue el", but who got time for that. I say "sequel".

i refer to stored procedures as sproks :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
dᶾɪf

• Locked thread