Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Yet again I mess up the date :doh: Also it's Steve Carell.

Today's Game

Today in Baseball History
  • 1909 - The Pittsburgh Pirates win the World Series as rookie Babe Adams registers his third victory by beating the Detroit Tigers, 8-0, in the seventh game of the World Series.
  • 1912 - Fred Snodgrass drops a fly ball in the 10th inning that helps the Boston Red Sox score two runs and take the World Series from the New York Giants.
  • 1962 - With the tying and winning runs in scoring position, San Francisco's Willie McCovey hits a hard line drive at second baseman Bobby Richardson for the final out and the New York Yankees win Game 7 by a score of 1-0 for their 20th World Series title.
  • 1969 - The "Miracle Mets" win their fourth straight game from the Baltimore Orioles with a 5-3 triumph behind Jerry Koosman to take the World Series in five games.
  • 1974 - Ken Holtzman, who hadn't batted all season, belts a third-inning home run in Game Four and gets the 5-2 win. Rollie Fingers holds the Dodgers in relief and Oakland takes a 3-1 Series lead.
  • 1983 - Eddie Murray hits two homers and Scott McGregor pitches a five-hitter to give Baltimore a 5-0 victory, its fourth straight over the Philadelphia Phillies to give the Orioles the World Series in five games.
  • 1985 - The Kansas City Royals win the American League pennant with a 6-2 victory over the Toronto Blue Jays in Game 7, capping a comeback from a 3-1 deficit.
  • 1990 - Eric Davis becomes the 22nd player to homer in his first World Series at-bat. The Reds go on to rout the A's, 7-0, ending Oakland's 10-game post-season winning streak.
  • 2003 - In Game 7 of the ALCS, with the Red Sox leading the Yankees 5-2 in the bottom of the Eighth, Red Sox Manager Grady Little leaves starter Pedro Martinez in, allowing the Yankees to tie it on doubles by Hideki Matsui and Jorge Posada. The Yankees go on to win the game and the Pennant on an 11th Inning homer by Aaron Boone.

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArseMan
Jun 7, 2003

Jeg kan ikke snakke norsk, men jeg fortsatt elsker mitt fedreland :norway:

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

2003 - In Game 7 of the ALCS, with the Red Sox leading the Yankees 5-2 in the bottom of the Eighth, Red Sox Manager Grady Little leaves starter Pedro Martinez in, allowing the Yankees to tie it on doubles by Hideki Matsui and Jorge Posada. The Yankees go on to win the game and the Pennant on an 11th Inning homer by Aaron Boone.

Between this and the Bartman Game, 2003 was a Bad Year for Baseball.

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
All right boys get Uggla his ring #ugglaquest #uggtober

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ArseMan posted:

Between this and the Bartman Game, 2003 was a Bad Year for Baseball.

I remember it well. :smithicide:

I hope the Cardinals just lay over and die, but I know they won't.

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
:spooky: A Wonderful Evening to Worship the Dark Lord Baseba'al :spooky:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I remember it well. :smithicide:

I hope the Cardinals just lay over and die, but I know they won't.

I'm sure the fight is there, but the strength isn't, when it comes to wainwright. Dude is compromised.

Go cards, I always miss baseball when you play your final game. Delay the end of the season another couple days.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

FairGame posted:

I'm sure the fight is there, but the strength isn't, when it comes to wainwright. Dude is compromised.

Go cards, I always miss baseball when you play your final game. Delay the end of the season another couple days.

Hey just figure out some way tonight and then anything is possible.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Reminder: This guy, who everyone hypes up for his amazing hitting ability, struck out bunting.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
They're taking a few too many liberties with the harmonies here.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Hey if you get anywhere near the actual melody of the song let me know. I'll look for you.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Hey if you get anywhere near the actual melody of the song let me know. I'll look for you.

To the oceans, briiiiiight with goooooooold

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Go Cards I guess.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Gonna miss most of the game but go the Giants

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Let's go Giants, in the name of Barrold eliminate the Cards

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You keep nailing it with the thread titles.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
Should have had Barry Zito throw the first pitch.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I got an Eripsa thread in D&D on another tab, so you're on a short leash, baseball game and thread. You better entertain me!

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
let's go giants! just got back to my office. how was the anthem?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Everblight posted:

I got an Eripsa thread in D&D on another tab, so you're on a short leash, baseball game and thread. You better entertain me!

What the gently caress is an eripsis

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Akbar posted:

let's go giants! just got back to my office. how was the anthem?

It sucked; the giants are doomed.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

FairGame posted:

It sucked; the giants are doomed.

nah, sf is like bizarro america so this bodes well

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Everblight posted:

What the gently caress is an Eripsa*

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Everblight posted:

Sorry man, you don't watch baseball in hopes of entertainment - you watch baseball in hopes of not being completely and utterly disappointed.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Attaboy jon jay

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Well thank deities for Jon Jay.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FairGame posted:

What the gently caress is an eripsa
a harmless but undeniably mentally-ill poster who posts very, very long and entertaining threads. Imagine if Ullillililla played in a MUD.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I wonder if jay will be a cardinal next season

GO JHONNY

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Cardinals Bullshit is activating early tonight

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

hey some hits :unsmith:

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
come on bumgarner

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Score runs, crads

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Oh come on

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
NICE DP :woop:

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
:wow:

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
HAHAHAHAHA YES PANDA

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

That play owned :drat:

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
Holy poo poo Pablo!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
That was REALLY close at 2nd

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Well that not ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Panda kind of rules

• Locked thread