Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

fomo fomo fomo FOMO FOMO FOMO FOMO FOMO FOMO!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
taking forever at it

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

good

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

quote:

Thirty three children die everyday due to social media resulting in over 8,764,000 deaths a year

:ohdear:

JustTerrible
Apr 30, 2008
everything is killing everyone, OP

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Wooten posted:

fomo fomo fomo FOMO FOMO FOMO FOMO FOMO FOMO!!!
I know you're joking about it but it wouldn't surprise me if this becomes a huge problem and we end up with an entire generation with anxiety and depression issues. Millennials are already kind of that generation but that's more because we got dealt a really lovely economic hand.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Cell phones are unironically destroying our children's social skills and stunting them well into adulthood, it's too late to stop it, it's been happening for years

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

I had to google what FOMO stood for, is this what being old is like?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRl8EIhrQjQ

It's over the top upworthy style clickbait but I agree with the general message.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

Everyone is stupid and you should be ashamed if you know what the smaller stupid people language.*

*gently caress pygmies

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

It's over the top upworthy style clickbait but I agree with the general message.

My annoying coworker was listening to Glenn Beck the other day and that guy was on there getting talked up by Glenn Beck. So you are saying you agree with Glenn Beck.

On the other hand making viral videos about how social media is bad is meta as gently caress.

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
Technology and social media just makes reality more efficient. You never had real friendships, you were always the outsider looking in, tolerated for being inoffensive, but never included or missed. Now with facebook and poo poo, you realize this sooner.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Wooten posted:

My annoying coworker was listening to Glenn Beck the other day and that guy was on there getting talked up by Glenn Beck. So you are saying you agree with Glenn Beck.
I could see the message appealing to crotchety conservatives too but mainly I think the point that a lot of people care more about how their social life looks online than actually enjoying their social life is good. There was a webcomic with like an instagram picture of wine a book and a cat or something that made the same joke in less of a self righteous way though.

quote:

On the other hand making viral videos about how social media is bad is meta as gently caress.
I imagine there's a lot of unintentionally ironic linking/sharing of this video.

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

He should learn to spell.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004

Tired of doing this loving idiot favors, he can call the police himself.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

no becaues its some bullshit word made up by old people

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
goatman on every screen in America for 5 seconds of one day.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

ban fomo marriage

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
It sounds like a term for managing stacks.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
i lust for fomo death

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

wow this is fuckin embarassing

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

glad this poo poo didnt exist when i was a kid

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Dementedghost posted:

Technology and social media just makes reality more efficient. You never had real friendships, you were always the outsider looking in, tolerated for being inoffensive, but never included or missed. Now with facebook and poo poo, you realize this sooner.

Obviously its accelerating social development. Everyone in the past had to wait till they graduated high school to figure this out.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Our kids probably deserve to die anyway

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

i think I saw a dude with a neck tattoo do this same slam poem on locked up: raw

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

no becaues its some bullshit word made up by old people

i like how the cnn article talks about FOMO and then interviews a kid asking her about it, and she's never heard of it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Someone explain fomo I am too lazy to go to urban dictionary dot com

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Alan Smithee posted:

foreign object murder opportunities

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Alan Smithee posted:

It means "fear of missing out". People generally try to put their best foot forward on social media so their pictures/posts etc will generally hint at having a fun and exciting life. When you see someone only post pictures of them and their friends at clubs, on the beach, on vacation, you kind of assume their life is generally like what they put on facebook. Even though everyone is doing the same thing (highly filtering their day to day activities to make it seem like they do cool stuff all the time) everyone internally knows they're faking it, but doesn't seem to get that everyone else is faking it too. It's a grass is greener issue but basically times a million.

It also basically shoves in everyone's face where you are in the social pecking order. Everyone knows how many friends and likes everyone gets. It'd be like if your classes all just had the gradebook publicly accessible and everyone checked it, really easy to feel insecure if you're anywhere but the top.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I'm not sure only posting the interesting stuff counts as faking it. Social media is also full of boring losers who post pictures of their lunch every day. If seeing people that look happier than you in media makes you sad then you are loving doomed whether you have a facebook or not.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ah. Yeah it's like having a diary you want everybody to read

http://www.theonion.com/articles/diary-lied-to,3290/

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Wooten posted:

I'm not sure only posting the interesting stuff counts as faking it. Social media is also full of boring losers who post pictures of their lunch every day. If seeing people that look happier than you in media makes you sad then you are loving doomed whether you have a facebook or not.
I dunno it's hard to describe without sounding like a person who says "people only pretend to like x/y/z for their image" but social media is creating a group of people that care more about how their life looks online than what their life actually is.

People growing up with social media feel a pressure to get more pictures of doing cool things to put online to the point where there are actually memes that came from people faking it (like the "bae caught me slippin"). This also means the people who have a harder time coming up with those kinds of pictures experience more anxiety and depression for not having them.

Basically fitting in has become even harder now that literally your entire life is online. Not so much a problem for people like you and I that are already out of college but it's becoming increasingly a problem for our juniors.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

FOMO YEARS FOMO YEARS

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
I have FOMOOFFOMO, fear of missing out on feeling fear of missing out I don't do Facebook and I'm afraid my anxiety might not be culturally relevant enough.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i have a big case of HOMO

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I mean you have to consider that this is a problem affecting literal children, sure you can say "it's dumb to let that poo poo affect you" but how rational of a 12 year old were you?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

anyone else getting FOMO from all those journalists getting beheaded

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
ha ha ha yeah totally stupid kids getting worked up about missing out on something

*presses f5 vigorously

hurr yeah dumbasses caring about how many likes they get on facebook

*presses f5 to see if anybody's emptyquoted him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

SirEvelynTremble posted:

ha ha ha yeah totally stupid kids getting worked up about missing out on something

*presses f5 vigorously

hurr yeah dumbasses caring about how many likes they get on facebook

*presses f5 to see if anybody's emptyquoted him

fag

• Locked thread