Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

purkey posted:

It might be a little early to say that Bumgarner has ruined his career you goof. But yeah, going to not complain too much for a decade or so.

Look, enjoy the afterglow, that's fine. More power to y'all there.

He put his arm through one of the most stressful short term series I have ever seen. 52.2 IP over 7 games in the playoffs. Even discounting this last outing (which you shouldn't), he was throwing about 108 pitches/9 innings. Apart from tonight (which is on short rest), he had no outing under 7 innings. Sure, Bochy was sticking with a good thing to win a title; in that limited scope, it's a smart move. But he's a young-ish pitcher in his prime who just signed for a comparatively meh amount over 7 years being thrown out there because Casilla/Romo/Lincecum/whoever else in the bullpen can't get through a lineup that apparently swings at anything.

Flags fly forever, I guess, but don't be surprised if you use them as a sling in the future.

Grozz Nuy posted:

He's 25 and he pitched 265 innings this year including postseason. That's a lot but really not THAT much, it's only about 20 innings more than Price and Cueto pitched during the regular season. Plus he's pitched over 200 innings every full season in the majors so he's handled big workloads fine before.

It's not the cumulative pitching load over the season; it's how much in the last month that I'm concerned about. Even in that last inning, things seemed...off. All credit to him for knowing how to get KC's lineup to swing, though.

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
the royals lost lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Monicro posted:

the royals lost lol

So awesome, maybe we'll both live to see it again if we're lucky.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Rand alPaul posted:

He arrived to quell all the rioting by hitting dingers.

Dan Uggla is getting a ring, and so is Bochy's Son who was called in to pitch through a blown-out game. They give coaches and broadcasters and the mascot guy rings. Why not the Spring Training Special Advisor who continued to give advice through postseason?

They pissed off almost everybody. Might as well complete the job, since it'll be Keith Olbermann and company who foam the most. And the ring ceremony would certainly be, uh, something.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

So awesome, maybe we'll both live to see it again if we're lucky.

Realtalk I really dont mean to upset anyone or rub it in to royals fans or anything despite what it absolutely seems, please dont take any of my dumb poo poo personally :shobon:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Craptacular! posted:

Dan Uggla is getting a ring, and so is Bochy's Son who was called in to pitch through a blown-out game. They give coaches and broadcasters and the mascot guy rings. Why not the Spring Training Special Advisor who continued to give advice through postseason?

They pissed off almost everybody. Might as well complete the job, since it'll be Keith Olbermann and company who foam the most. And the ring ceremony would certainly be, uh, something.

I really hope they do give Barry a ring. Who cares about the HoF as long as you got that ring?

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

You finally got one you old geezer :unsmith:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

As always, Evil Prevails. See you next year SAS.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Sandpuppy posted:

It's not a real celebration until I see a guy doing pushups in the street next to a flaming car.

Hey Kawalimus, what's your size?

Get one for me and I'll wear it proudly with the biggest grin. :D

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

Get one for me and I'll wear it proudly with the biggest grin. :D

nuh uh i asked first

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Rah! posted:

Yes he does.

Here have a few more pics:

Wow I didn't know Ferguson got so bad or why they abandoned the Cardinals. And they didn't use tear gas to control the crowd.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Harlock posted:

And they didn't use tear gas to control the crowd.
Boys will be boys.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

Plus he's pitched over 200 innings every full season in the majors so he's handled big workloads fine before.

I've heard this somewhere before.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ambassador of Funk posted:

WP: Affeldt
Sv: Bumgarner

is so gloriously weird.

Bumgarner got the win. I was confused too and had to look it up, but apparently if the starter doesn't go 4 (5?) innings the official scorekeeper just gets to pick someone.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Bumgarner got the win. I was confused too and had to look it up, but apparently if the starter doesn't go 4 (5?) innings the official scorekeeper just gets to pick someone.

MLB.com still credits Affledt with the win and Madbum with the save. Where did you see otherwise?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ambassador of Funk posted:

You finally got one you old geezer :unsmith:

The teams he's played for in his career are a combined 1439 - 1152 and yet this is his first series. Post-season baseball.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

ALFbrot posted:

MLB.com still credits Affledt with the win and Madbum with the save. Where did you see otherwise?

It probably changed for whatever reason but Buck said yesterday live on the broadcast that the official scorekeeper had sent word to them that Bumgarner was getting the win.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

tadashi posted:

The teams he's played for in his career are a combined 1439 - 1152 and yet this is his first series. Post-season baseball.

Yeah but he was a Brave for a long time so

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Don't you EVER beat my team in the postseason. Good job Giants.

edit: You FUCKS.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 30, 2014

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ALFbrot posted:

angrygodofjebus posted:

It probably changed for whatever reason but Buck said yesterday live on the broadcast that the official scorekeeper had sent word to them that Bumgarner was getting the win.

This. I hope Joe Buck was wrong, though, both because it would mean that Joe Buck was wrong on national television and because two wins and a save is way cooler than three wins.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

angrygodofjebus posted:

Why the hell would you trust Joe Buck? Even Baseball Reference has the WP as Affeldt and Bumgarner down for the save.

As it should be.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Don't you EVER beat my team in the postseason. Good job Giants.

Kawalimus?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

After skipping the Division and Championship series' I managed to get over the A's loss(sort of) to really enjoy that World Series. Great baseball and loving Bumgarner...

Rikk Wilde MVP

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got to hear some Real Mad radio hosts who couldn't believe Affeldt got the win because 3 wins in the WS is epic and the pageantry etc, then starting doing a nasally nerd voice about going by the rules to pick the correct winning pitcher

They were also still very upset about Jeter not winning ASG MVP

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Intruder posted:

I got to hear some Real Mad radio hosts who couldn't believe Affeldt got the win because 3 wins in the WS is epic and the pageantry etc, then starting doing a nasally nerd voice about going by the rules to pick the correct winning pitcher

They were also still very upset about Jeter not winning ASG MVP

Bay Area sports radio this morning was all about Jeremy Affeldt's Hall of Fame resume.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Apparently Madbum poured nary a single beer all over himself after the win last night.

I now hate him.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Apparently Madbum poured nary a single beer all over himself after the win last night.

I now hate him.

He seemed pretty collected. I wouldn't have known he just won the WS in that post-game interview.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

What is even the point of enjoying baseball for the next three years? The World Series champions have already been foretold by Back to the Future II, Even Year Bullshit, and Sports Illustrated respectively. Let's Go 2018 Tigers I guess.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am really looking forward to the stupid Back to the Future 2 year actually happening so I can finally stop hearing people make jokes about it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Inspector_666 posted:

I now hate him.

He seemed really loving tired.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

tinstaach posted:

What is even the point of enjoying baseball for the next three years? The World Series champions have already been foretold by Back to the Future II, Even Year Bullshit, and Sports Illustrated respectively. Let's Go 2018 Tigers I guess.

What are you talking about? Watching the Cubs win the World Series will be the most enjoyable thing possible and given how the ratings would probably be the highest in decades pretty much every one in the country would agree. Of course they then wouldn't win again for 100 years but, eh, we take what we can get.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The worst thing about this whole thing for the Royals is the amount of hope it has brought to people for next year. God drat those people are going to be so disappointed.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Papercut posted:

Bay Area sports radio this morning was all about Jeremy Affeldt's Hall of Fame resume.
Wow, that's even worse than I thought.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Giants fans out and about in LA last night were totally gracious and friendly and complimentary of the Royals. I have nothing bad to say about them. Of course none of them shot anybody or set anything on fire so there's that but I have to say I was impressed. LA in general brings out the douche in almost every fanbase so I'm doubly impressed. Ravens fans are completely intolerable, for example.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Lord Barrold took the time to celebrate with his subjects last night:

http://instagram.com/p/uwzbiLQh6O/?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Rah! posted:

Lord Barrold took the time to celebrate with his subjects last night:

http://instagram.com/p/uwzbiLQh6O/?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video

Man, Barry is loving awesome as hell.

edit: This is also awesome:

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The World Series is over and so is this thread. Congrats San Francisco Bumgarners.

• Locked thread