Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
To be honest in my opinion I've never minded the playoffs being a completely unfair crapshoot. To me they've always just been The Place Where All The Best Teams (which as established the regular season does a good job of deciding) Go To Beat Eachother Up and that's what they ultimately are.

e: and I say this as a fan of a team that's been to the playoffs 4 times in 7 years and made it to the ALCS in one of them

Monicro fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I legitimately would be happy if they eliminated all postseason series except the World Series, but I might be insane.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
The Houston Astros, Texas Rangers, Boston Red Sox, Philadelphia Phillies, and Colorado Rockies all had a stretch where they went 8-2 this past season, and the best playoff system is the insane one that oystertoadfish made up

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Seriouschat they should shorten the regular season and add more playoffs. Not by a lot, just go back to the 154 game amount and add a few more playoff teams. I don't know how to do this without adding a bye which is arguably bad, but it seems like it should be reasonable. Having to win just 8 games to go to the World Series seems low.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Switch the entire schedule to the NFL format

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Monicro posted:

Switch the entire schedule to the NFL format

I think I'm on board with a 16-game baseball season, played weekly. #4-5 starters might object, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've posted this before in these sorts of discussions, but I still love it

the last great pennant race :911:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
All playoff series are now one game but the world series is best 11 of 21.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
In honor of the Royals, make all wildcard games go 27 innings. You want multiple games in the series, play them all at once :getin:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Minarch posted:

In honor of the Royals, make all wildcard games go 27 innings. You want multiple games in the series, play them all at once :getin:

Kind of unironically this? Be a good way to emphasize defensive abilities in your starters.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
The playoffs are played in a series of single-elimination triple headers. Decide the entire playoffs in one-two days!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
All games tied after 9 innings decided by bunt-off.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Run the playoffs (and regular season) like SmackDown!!, where all 29 other teams show up at Yankee Stadium, then Teddy Long comes out and says "Yankees! Tonight, you gonna fight... the Orioles, playa!"

theacox posted:

"Finally," Juan Pierre whispered to himself. "My time has come."

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

theacox posted:

Barry Zito - Utility Bunter

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'll just put together a little certificate that says "CONGRATULATIONS TO THE #1 TEAM!" and you fill the year and the team with the best record that year. I'll send any of you babies a copy and you can fill it out and stick it on your loving wall.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Everblight posted:

Run the playoffs (and regular season) like SmackDown!!, where all 29 other teams show up at Yankee Stadium, then Teddy Long comes out and says "Yankees! Tonight, you gonna fight... the Orioles, playa!"

"Finally," Juan Pierre whispered to himself. "My time has come."

Unironically want a royal rumble style playoff

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
Just give the Marlins the World Series title year after year. TIA.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

All solutions found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzjmm2mSROk

(pro click)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

All this chaos means that it is almost certain that a future Cubs team will win 100 games and the division and then get swept out of the playoffs by some bullshit 83-win wildcard team.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

All this chaos means that it is almost certain that a future Cubs team will win 100 games and the division and then get swept out of the playoffs by some bullshit 83-win wildcard team.
There was recently a Cubs team that won 97 games and the division and then got swept out of the playoffs by some bullshit 84-win worse division winner.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Everblight posted:

No solutions found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzjmm2mSROk

(idiot click)

Made it to the PEDs part and turned it off.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Wait a loving second. How can Olbermann be a complete moron all the time but be completely right on every point in this video? WTF is happening???

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

theacox posted:

Wait a loving second. How can Olbermann be a complete moron all the time but be completely right on every point in this video? WTF is happening???

Other than the witch-hunty PED stuff, he really is right about every last thing in this manifesto. AL President Teigen :swoon:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 21, 2014

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

OH GOD, OW :gonk::gonk:

http://mlb.com/fancave/blog/article.jsp?content=article&content_id=99098788&partnerId=th_youtube

quote:

If anyone was wondering why James Shields didn't start Game 4 of the ALCS, he had a pretty good reason: he was passing a kidney stone. The Royals ace, who will take the mound for the World Series opener, felt severe pain during the ALCS and discovered the source after a CT scan. Shields said he would've pitched in Game 4 if called upon but noted that he was in "excruciating pain."

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
As a multiple-time sufferer of kidney stones, I feel his pain.

It really depends on the location of the stones, though. Within the kidneys has been unbelievably bad for me, whereas actually passing them isn't such a huge deal. Sure, it's like pissing razor blades, but internal to the kidneys is worse, as far as I have seen.

I am struggling to apply this to playoff baseball though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
E: redacted.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 21, 2014

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

If good regular season teams don't want to lose to dumb wildcard teams then they should beat those dumb wildcard teams. Playoffs aren't for deciding who is the best, they are for deciding who is the champion.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Ammat The Ankh posted:

A lot of people seem pretty upset over a wild card World Series for whatever reason. It's not just salty Cardinals or Angels fans either. David Schoenfield is going as far as to claim this is the worst World Series ever because neither team "won enough games."

Teams don't just accidentally go 8-0 and 8-2 in the playoffs, or something. These are two good teams and there have been some great games this postseason.

One day a 3rd-place team will win the World Series and it will be glorious.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Retail Slave posted:

One day a 3rd-place team will win the World Series and it will be glorious.

It will be the Cubs.

LOL

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Each official twitter account tweets the following:

Should be win the World Series?
RT for YES
FAV for NO
#wswinner

The team with the most RT wins and the team with the most FAV is the loser.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

About two thirds of these were really stupid

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I am beginning to think Salvy actually is a crazy person.

Then again, why is Cain afraid of cameras? Is he hiding something?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Jesus Christ start this world series thing already

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

bawfuls posted:

that's a feature not a bug

the one game playoff has shown to be pretty rad even on a regular basis

THE loving ROYALS ARE IN THE WORLD SERIES

SrgMagnum
Nov 12, 2007
Got old money, could buy a dinosaur
I don't give a poo poo about the playoff format or the number of wins or any of that poo poo. This post-season has been exciting, entertaining baseball all the way through and I have no reason to expect any less of the Series. I can't wait for this poo poo to get going!

Go Giants.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Royals are hosting a by god World Series game tonight

Unreal

I was 4 when this last happened

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Only 8 hours left!!!!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Clash of Clans (yes, the tap game) may have become the Royals' chicken and beer if they hadn't turned their season around:

http://deadspin.com/a-clash-of-clans-addiction-nearly-sank-the-royals-seaso-1648848299

quote:

When Kuntz walked inside the room, he saw a scene that had become all too familiar in recent weeks: a collection of Royals with their heads down, eyes locked on their iPads. The game was called "Clash of Clans," and for a period of time this summer, its excessive usage by members of this club exasperated the coaching staff.

That's just so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

tadashi posted:

Clash of Clans (yes, the tap game) may have become the Royals' chicken and beer if they hadn't turned their season around:

http://deadspin.com/a-clash-of-clans-addiction-nearly-sank-the-royals-seaso-1648848299

That's just so weird.

It's a thing, apparently.

Here's Pittsburgh backup catcher Tony Sanchez tweeting about it and Adam Eaton references a clan composed of players in this article.

Dr. Tommy John fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 21, 2014

• Locked thread