Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Friends and allies, or merely acquaintances. You have traveled the land exploring and going on adventures. You like to consider yourselves mighty warriors and wise sages, yet in truth you are still rather new to this. One day as you travel the land your attention is caught by a crow winging its way overhead. It swoops low and circles around you, cawing out a message in a hoarse parody of a human voice: “Darkness and death! Darkness and death! Come to Il Aluk or draw your last breath!” Then it beats its wings furiously and flies away.

Intrigued or worried you seek this Il Aluk, though you have never heard of it before. Yet you have no luck. For the third night in a row, your sleep is disturbed by a nightmare in which you are being torn to pieces by a flock of black birds. Twice you woke up screaming, but tonight the dream is different. A huge black crow drives away the other birds with mighty beats of its wings. It looks you in the eye and croaks out a message: “Darkness and death! Darkness and death! Come to Il Aluk or draw your last breath!”

----------------------

This will be a game of Grim Requiem, the game of playing Undead in 2e. Except we will be using D&D 5e. You will start as living 6th level characters. Yes the big secret is that in the adventure you will die. And you will come back as undead. I hate to reveal this mighty spoiler, but with the title it may have been obvious to some of you anyway. Besides if you know you are going to be undead you can build toward it instead of being surprised and possibly pissed at the turn of events.

You will be building your characters, using standard character creation, at 6th level. Variant Human is okay. I might allow some homebrews if you link the class or subclass and if it seems okay. I will decide on a case by case basis.

I would suggest idling in #GrimRequiem on occassion, I prefer it when my players have an IRC presence. It helps to speed some things up, and to maybe talk through some plans before posting and such.

Now to the fun stuff. What can you be? We have:

Dwarves

Elves

Gnomes

Half-Elves

Halflings

Half-Orcs

Humans

Well you could probably play something else, but I don't have any images of any others. Except Kender.

Then comes classes. Normally each Undead option works as its own class and comes from what class you were in life. We won’t be using this. You will have a class from the PHB. Eventually you will become undead, gaining various things from the type of undead you become. Some of what you get will be based off the 5e version of the undead, if there is one, and some will be based off the undead classes from Grim Requiem.

Normally the undead type you become would be based off class:

Priests: Mummy
Wizards: Lich
Fighters/Rogues: Skeleton, Ghoul, Zombie, Shadow, Ghast, Wight, Wraith, Spectre, Ghost, Vampire.

These would normally be level restricted with more options available the higher your level, we will be ignoring that or else all fighters and rogues would just be skeletons. Not to mention other classes that now exist wouldn't have a specific type of undead.

Skeletons! Advance as Rogues. Prime Requisite Dexterity. Lots of resistances. No exceptional strength or constitution. Yes undead have constitution scores.

Zombies! Advance as Rogues. Prime Requisite Constitution. A bonus to strength and constitution. Gets both Exceptional Strength and Constitution. If you don’t know what these are we will cover them in creation.

Ghouls! Advance as Priests. Prime Requisite Strength. Both Exceptional Strength and Constitution. Get claws and fangs and a paralysis ability.

Ghasts! Like the Ghouls but with an Odor of Corruption! Actually not sure if there is a version in 5e, but I can probably build one if someone chooses this based off the Ghoul and the stuff in Grim Requiem

Wights! Advance as Wizards. Prime Requisite Constitution. No Exceptional Strength but do have Exceptional Constitution. Get Level Draining, Animal Repulsion, Claws and some Attack Resistance. Some of this may or may not be available, will have to check.

Mummies! Advance as Priests. Exceptional Constitution but not Strength. Get Priest Spells, Mummy Rot, and Fear Aura. Kind of gets these, fear aura is more of a dreadful gaze really.

Vampires! Prime Requisite is Intelligence which is funny if you look at the required stats that we will be ignoring. Advance as Warrior. Get both Exceptional Strength and Constitution. Get Charm Gaze, Attack Resistance, Regeneration, Wraithform, and Animal Summoning. Some of these may change, and I need to find the Vampire entry, or build one from whole cloth.

Same with

Liches! Prime Requisite is Intelligence. Advance as Wizard. No exceptional stats. Get Wizard Spells and Spellcraft. And actual lich is probably not going to work as the monster entry, but if someone wants to play a spellcaster and go Lich I will work something out.

Ghosts! Prime Requisite is Charisma. Advance as Warriors. No exceptional. Incorporeal, Wraithform, Aging Touch, and Attack Resistance.

There are a few more incorporeal undead, but I would have to find the 5e stats for them, or just build them based off Ghost and some Grim Requiem stuff.

The original Grim Requiem rules had some non weapon proficienies, some the undead classes got for free and some were required to take the undead class, these helped to distinguish the various characters. When you become undead you will get some of these, kind of, as some of them are just the various things your undead type does. You will also likely get to choose some as you level to help personalize your character. When you become undead I will have a list, with some idea of what they do, for you to pick from.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
I am definitely intrigued, and once I have spare time, I will definitely be submitting...something.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I'm thinking about taking one for the team and making a Fighter 6(Battle Master), with every intention of multiclassing into something else the rest of the way.

Party composition will determine the build I'll go with, so get those apps in! :haw:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
As per our IRC funtimes, I'll be applying for the game and will go with the Cleric using the leaked Dungeon Master Guide Death Domain. Partially, as it only goes up to level six, but that is enough for now. Hopefully before we gain too many levels, we'll have the DMG out proper.

Character info is in the works.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Document with tons of info.
Character sheet for Grimborn Einar.

quote:

Grimborn Einar started as a Mercenary who wished for the impossible; to find immortality. However, the man is no fool. Those who dwell in the arts of necromancy are quickly corrupted by evil. There are those who follow Kelemvor that walk the line between life and death, but this too is not what he seeks, for he does not wish to bend knee to one master for eternity. Spending life by the sword and pursuing this unreachable goal, he was one day confronted by a strange Pale Lady who unlocked the divine power hidden in his soul. As he learned to accept this power, he came to find it tied to a long forgotten language of Abyssal known as Dark Speech. As a cleric would pray and meditate, so would he on these words of power, unlocking more and growing in both martial and divine discipline.

Nothing in this world is given for free. There is a reason, a motive, for the Pale Lady to have given him this gift. What this is, he does not know. In time he forgets of this potential pitfall and continues to serve by the sword. When he trades his title from mercenary to adventurer, he happens upon a group who welcomes him (though if they accept his ways is yet to be seen). It is not long after that does the events with the crow begin. Is he at fault for this? Could the Pale Lady have come to collect her due? He grows fearful of involving his new comrades in his own mess, should it be so.

A bump for the thread. It's taken a few nighttime brain stretching getting this guy done. Shouldn't be any issues or need for DM approvals here (as we already agreed to Death Domain) so let me know if something's off with it.

Considerations for other players: Grimborn uses the leaked DMG Death Domain, which will result in the use of Necromancy spells. Questions of what actually fuels his powers aside, this can cause strife in holy and zealous characters. Grimborn is not evil, but he will claim allegiance with Kelemvor - a respected god known for fair judgement of the dead - if he believes it will alleviate the issue of his powers. He does not like using this lie for many reasons, but it's proven to be the most effective means by which the overly zealous types will tolerate him.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I'm interested in this, I'll cook something up tomorrow. Any problems with me making a Monk? I know they didn't exist in 2E but seeing as it's 5E rules I hope it's ok.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Elys Under - Halfling Ranger

Journal, Day 1 posted:

I wanted to be a hunter since I was little girl, you know? Wanted to search the forests for all manner of creatures, talking with them, playing with them. Thats what I thought a hunter did. So I learned how to stalk through the woods. Learned how to track deer and rabbit. Learned what plants were to heal, and which were to hurt. My father taught me all of this, and he said that one day I would use these skills for myself. Not this. Not after what happened.

The war would never come to our lands my parents always said. Little did they know... And know they're dead. I didn't really have a choice, when the leaders came. They wanted young orphans to go to the human lands and live as children, sneaking out troop movements, stealing from the humans in the city. They said it was something my parents would want me to do. So I said I'll go. For my parents sake.

Journal, Day 157 posted:

I'm not sure how long I've been doing this. It comes second nature to me. Stealing what I need. Sending ravens back to the Leaders with the information they request. Sneaking into the camps to count the tents. Its been too long.

Journal, Day 371 posted:

I've left the employ of my old country. I no longer feel that they would welcome me back, and with the skills I've acquired, I'll do much better on my own. Met up with a small troop of adventurers heading to some place called "Il Aluk" for treasure. I need treasure. I've got my blades and my bow, I'll tag along with them and we'll see what happens.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
^^^ You can't do TWF with 2 rapiers; both weapons have to be Light, unless you have the Dual Wielder feat, in which case only one of them needs to be Light.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
That's from the older rulesets for the feat. The PHB now has Dual Wield Feat allowing any one-handed, non-light weapons to be used for two weapon fighting.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

P.d0t posted:

^^^ You can't do TWF with 2 rapiers; both weapons have to be Light, unless you have the Dual Wielder feat, in which case only one of them needs to be Light.

I thought Rapiers are light? I'll look at this later.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Eh I'm a Next Packet grognard, so it's entirely possible Lothire is right and not me. :suicide:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I don't see your character to grognard over.

:colbert:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
It looks to me like you could use rapiers if you took the Dual Wielder feat, as Lothire said. But on your sheet it says you used level4 for the stat bumps. Rapiers are Finesse weapons, but not Light; that might be part of the confusion.

I'll try and get my character done up in the next few days. Looks like it'll be sword+board Protection Style..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Pez posted:

I'm interested in this, I'll cook something up tomorrow. Any problems with me making a Monk? I know they didn't exist in 2E but seeing as it's 5E rules I hope it's ok.

All 5e book stuff should be good for the game. Personally me and Ryuujin felt Monk in the PHB version to be on the weaker side of things, mostly due to how long it takes to get unarmed damage (the only flurry damage) to be counted as magical as well as the reduced damage die progression. Some of that is alleviated starting at level 6, and I'm sure he'll be open to address any complaints you might uncover during play.

I should mention my clerical man has some heals on hand and will definitely burn slots to use 'em when in need, but using spells offensively will also be tapping those slots.

• Locked thread