Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I don't know nearly enough about anime production to understand what is going on half the time in this series, but man episode 3 stressed me out with all the deadlines and things going wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't know much about anime production, but I've been a game tester for years, and this really felt like crunch time.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would really love to see a well annotated or commentaried version of this. I gather that pretty much everything has some basis in real events, but I don't know enough of the details to say for sure.

One thing that's pretty much been confirmed is that most of the ongoing gags about the director are in reference to Girls Und Panzer. Its director is the one directing Shirobako, and it infamously had a bunch of scheduling problems that resulted in multiple recap episodes and the final two episodes being delayed by several months.

There was also the line in episode 1 about another studio's bathroom facilities. I can't find reference to who it was, but I remember a while back a story went out about some studio that had like a hundred people working in a building with only a single bathroom.

Anyway, this was a good episode, but I wonder if the focus will start to shift at any point to one of the other girls from the high school group? It seemed at the start like it was going to be more of an ensemble piece, but it's followed the one donut girl pretty closely so far.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bakanogami posted:

I would really love to see a well annotated or commentaried version of this. I gather that pretty much everything has some basis in real events, but I don't know enough of the details to say for sure.

One thing that's pretty much been confirmed is that most of the ongoing gags about the director are in reference to Girls Und Panzer. Its director is the one directing Shirobako, and it infamously had a bunch of scheduling problems that resulted in multiple recap episodes and the final two episodes being delayed by several months.

There was also the line in episode 1 about another studio's bathroom facilities. I can't find reference to who it was, but I remember a while back a story went out about some studio that had like a hundred people working in a building with only a single bathroom.

Apparently PA Works tweeted that the FTP Server making GBS threads itself was something that actually happened to them two years ago. I imagine they've got more real life references strewn about than we can ever realize.

quote:

Anyway, this was a good episode, but I wonder if the focus will start to shift at any point to one of the other girls from the high school group? It seemed at the start like it was going to be more of an ensemble piece, but it's followed the one donut girl pretty closely so far.

They'll be meeting next episode so I imagine we'll be getting exactly this soon enough.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I really like this show's breakneck pacing. I actually think the dialogue feels much more naturalistic for it.

Taro is paradoxically the best and worst character.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 23, 2014

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
How many of the characters are based on real studio people? I assume the 5 high school girls are all made up for the show but I'm curious on who is real and who is just an anime creation.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Good Listener posted:

How many of the characters are based on real studio people? I assume the 5 high school girls are all made up for the show but I'm curious on who is real and who is just an anime creation.
There's a post back on the first page with a bunch of real people (although the Rie Tanaka part is probably a misattribution).

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Paracelsus posted:

There's a post back on the first page with a bunch of real people (although the Rie Tanaka part is probably a misattribution).

Oop. I somehow missed it being updated and all. Thanks!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Paracelsus posted:

While the photo mistakenly shows Tanaka Rie the voice actress, there is a real Tanaka Rie the sound producer. She talks in one of the commentary tracks for the Hanasaku Iroha movie, and is even credited in the very episode of Shirobako in which she appears.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
After watching the director throw a big fuss about ~the big reveal~ I got a little teary when I saw the finished product. loving anime making me cry what the gently caress

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bakanogami posted:

Hoping for a "pop-up video" effect in the BD release, that'd make it worth getting.

quote:

One thing that's pretty much been confirmed is that most of the ongoing gags about the director are in reference to Girls Und Panzer.

What about "On the verge of Jiggly" though?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Speaking of annotations I *know* I have seen the style of the poster on the right before, does anyone know what it's imitating there? I'm sure as soon as I find out I'll be all "oh, of course that's what it's parodying".

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I just know that this show is going to be full to brimming with references that go over my head. Still entertaining enough so far, though.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Srice posted:

Speaking of annotations I *know* I have seen the style of the poster on the right before, does anyone know what it's imitating there? I'm sure as soon as I find out I'll be all "oh, of course that's what it's parodying".

The artstyle looks Nagai Go as gently caress. I'm pretty sure he did some baseball manga that's probably what its parodying, I can't recall the name though. Or I might be thinking of one of his contemporaries with a similar art style.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Pretty sure that's a pastiche of Shinji Mizushima's style who is known for baseball manga like abu-san and dokaben.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

wanna watch Corruption Robot: Sadoka Mazoka

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Tarou is literally The Worst.

Nice to see a respite from the hectic pace by having the classmates come together for a day off. Enjoyed the entire audition scene as well.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Quoted for truth.

Gonna leave this right here:

quote:

TAKANASHI :argh:

I know I'll probably need it next week.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

Eeeyup. What a gently caress. I'll be interested to see what he kept trying to get Aoi's help with before he got distracted by his own inherent creepiness.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I like some of the smaller details they put in the episode. If you've ever been in a sound booth, the locks are tight and the doors are extremely heavy, so showing her struggle to get the door open was a nice touch. Plus, doing a first line read like that is often nerve-wracking, especially with that many people watching from the control room.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Neeksy posted:

I like some of the smaller details they put in the episode. If you've ever been in a sound booth, the locks are tight and the doors are extremely heavy, so showing her struggle to get the door open was a nice touch. Plus, doing a first line read like that is often nerve-wracking, especially with that many people watching from the control room.

Yeah, Shizuka was really relatable this episode, I like her a lot so far.

Although, something came up that has me somewhat confused. When Aoi was watching home, she was singing that silly song about a hedgehog named Andes Chucky. Remember at the start of episode 2, when Aoi walked in on Segawa right after Segawa passed out? And there was this little cartoon vignette of a cartoon hedgehog named Chucky passed out on a snowy mountain? I'm...not sure what exactly it means, that Segawa passing out is apparently evocative of Aoi's old cartoons or something.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 31, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

StandardVC10 posted:

I just know that this show is going to be full to brimming with references that go over my head. Still entertaining enough so far, though.

Well, that's what I thought, then "Mon Mon Biyori" happened.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk
The show is hilarious on the meta level too.

The five main girls are all super rookie voice actors IRL, with barely any experience under the belt. Aoi's VA has previously voiced two background cashiers in Detective Conan- now she's jumped straight into a main role.

It gets even funnier when you look at who's voicing the support characters:
Director- also known as Viral and that sword dude from Kill la Kill
Manager- also known as !!Nagisa!!, Yuu Kashima, Watashi
Artist Goth- also known as Saori Takabe (worst girl BTW), Lucy ---- Yamagami
Tarou- Inumuta, Briefers Rock, Firo Prochainazo
CEO- also known as the god drat Great Teacher Onizuka

They've basically flipped the whole thing on it's head, so you've got big names doing chump change side jobs while freshmeat does the hard stuff :v:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that voice actor lady is going to get the job anyway because they like her inexperienced sound and the meta will kill me.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I am so sad that Firo's VA ended up with such a horrible lame character.

But Kashima VA omgggg

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm pretty sure that voice actor lady is going to get the job anyway because they like her inexperienced sound and the meta will kill me.

I was thinking something like that too, or maybe a "well you didn't get the part you applied for, but we have this other primary character that fits your nervousness perfectly."

Then they string her along saying she's on the verge of being fired to keep the right character tone :v:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=37459

In case anyone was wondering!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It was immensely satisfying to see Aoi hang up on asshat coworker multiple times. That's the kind of cojones that's far too rare in anime (and sometimes real life).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm pretty interested in how the college girl will break into the anime industry.

Also the girls' date is like, every young-adult-fresh-out-of-school date ever. And it's amazing how I could remember entire nights I've spent from that.

Aoi's phone call with her mom was really touching, too.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

The title "I totally messed up" referring to "gently caress it I deserve one night having fun with my girls I work too drat hard" and then coming back to a total poo poo show the next day is giving my gf post traumatic stress disorder (she works in film so basically every scene is doing that, but still...)

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm pretty interested in how the college girl will break into the anime industry.

Also the girls' date is like, every young-adult-fresh-out-of-school date ever. And it's amazing how I could remember entire nights I've spent from that.

Aoi's phone call with her mom was really touching, too.

The characters aren't especially deep, but they're really well humanized. This show's been really charming so far, and that's a big reason why.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think the characters and their struggles are a lot more realistic than we're used to in anime, and so we don't really think of them as being all that unique or strong because their personalities are not butting up against extreme hardships. It's kind of like how sometimes in real life you have to spend a good amount of time with someone to get a handle on who they are. The side characters are easily characterized because they are not going to have the same kind of development and thus have to be projected more clearly from the start. (It's much like how in Shakespeare plays, side characters are always more interesting than the main protagonists, by sheer design and narrative requirements.)

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Srice posted:

That's definitely Captain Tsubasa.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Captain Tsubasa pose with a Ashita no Joe face.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
I recognized a single reference. Shizuka's lines for her character included the line "even my mother didn't scold me" or something, which is an obvious call back to the famous "even my father didn't hit me" line from the original gundam series. (which I only knew because of genshiken)

I fully expect to have every other reference go over my head.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If I recall correctly, didn't one of the producers or creators say that Tarou was basically one of them when they were first starting out?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

If I recall correctly, didn't one of the producers or creators say that Tarou was basically one of them when they were first starting out?

I sure hope they grew out of him, if that's the case. So far, Taro seems like Yosuke, only even more scatterbrained and ten years older so he can't use that as an excuse for being a creepy dumbass.

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
I for one want to know more about Andes Chucky, the awesome mountain hedgehog. There has to more to him than a great theme song.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

ScottyWired posted:

The show is hilarious on the meta level too.

The five main girls are all super rookie voice actors IRL, with barely any experience under the belt. Aoi's VA has previously voiced two background cashiers in Detective Conan- now she's jumped straight into a main role.

It gets even funnier when you look at who's voicing the support characters:
Director- also known as Viral and that sword dude from Kill la Kill
Manager- also known as !!Nagisa!!, Yuu Kashima, Watashi
Artist Goth- also known as Saori Takabe (worst girl BTW), Lucy ---- Yamagami
Tarou- Inumuta, Briefers Rock, Firo Prochainazo
CEO- also known as the god drat Great Teacher Onizuka

They've basically flipped the whole thing on it's head, so you've got big names doing chump change side jobs while freshmeat does the hard stuff :v:

This is all kinds of marvelous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Today's episode features a rather famous animator!

aers fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 6, 2014

• Locked thread