Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Arkeus posted:

Clearly, this Tarou's time to shine and talk to Ema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Roboharu: The Robot I Made is Going Through Puberty, and It's Rough. sounds like a really awful series.

I'd watch that. I've already watched five different versions of that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Monkey Man posted:

I found this chart of typical salaries in the anime industry. I knew it was bad for people at the bottom of the totem pole, but not this bad:

And just how many voice actors are considered "A-list"? It can't be too many.

This is why most animators skip college and do a short training program before going straight into the industry. By the time their peers graduate college, they'll at least be close to being a key animator and not subsisting just on ramen and financial help from their parents.

As an animator, the Japanese industry is definitely a mix of good and bad. Good includes some creative control over the final product that outsource studios in China and India don't get, and consistent work. You never have to worry that the work will run out or that you'll have a period of unemployment. In America and Canada, animators always face periods of unemployment.

Then again, I can make in a week what a Japanese animator makes in 3 weeks, while working 3/4ths of the hours.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
How do animators make less than production assistants? Supply exceeding demand?

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

The Monkey Man posted:

I found this chart of typical salaries in the anime industry. I knew it was bad for people at the bottom of the totem pole, but not this bad:

And just how many voice actors are considered "A-list"? It can't be too many.

How the heck is a part-time waitress earning more than a full-time animator?

Maybe Ema should just go get a job at Denny's or something.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Boy, Aoi kind of did a lovely job cheering up Ema, didn't she? She didn't even mention that Segawa led off by basically saying "But Ema's art is usually so good that I was really shocked these came out bad" and just kind of let Ema jump from one miserable subject to another and convince herself that she's just the worst.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
The Winter Comiket doujins are going to destroy Ema.

By the way, are Tsutomu Mizushima and Seiji Mizushima related somehow?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

kazakirinyancat posted:

How the heck is a part-time waitress earning more than a full-time animator?

Maybe Ema should just go get a job at Denny's or something.
Like I mentioned earlier key animators get paid by the cut. I think there was an interview with Yamasaki Osamu were he said young animators get paid 4000 yen a cut, about $34, and there's an average of 300 cuts per episode in anime (which I'm unsure if that counts OP and EDs or not). So that's $10,200 split between all the key animators. Looking at just episode one of Shirobako there was 22 key animators. So $463 a person; if all the cuts are original, the same 22 animators are used and split evenly. Over 24 episodes and almost half a year that's $11,127. But they wont be the same 22 animators, there's bound to be recycled animation, recap episodes and it's never going to be an even split because more experienced and faster animators are going to get more work than the new guys. If during the year you only get to work every three episodes that's $8,025.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I don't think I've ever connected with an anime character so much when the college student one was talking about staying up all night reading Dostoevsky.

Ema sure got the short end of the stick when it came to their anime friendship pact. Seems brutal.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

Guyver posted:

Like I mentioned earlier key animators get paid by the cut. I think there was an interview with Yamasaki Osamu were he said young animators get paid 4000 yen a cut, about $34, and there's an average of 300 cuts per episode in anime (which I'm unsure if that counts OP and EDs or not). So that's $10,200 split between all the key animators. Looking at just episode one of Shirobako there was 22 key animators. So $463 a person; if all the cuts are original, the same 22 animators are used and split evenly. Over 24 episodes and almost half a year that's $11,127. But they wont be the same 22 animators, there's bound to be recycled animation, recap episodes and it's never going to be an even split because more experienced and faster animators are going to get more work than the new guys. If during the year you only get to work every three episodes that's $8,025.

Holy poo poo. This is guilt tripping me into buying a few blu-rays.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Aniplex thanks you for your money.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
How can you loving live off less than 10,000 dollars a year??? Are these animators typically living at home and off parents for a while or something? Even our interns get paid more than that and they're loving useless

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Razzled posted:

How can you loving live off less than 10,000 dollars a year??? Are these animators typically living at home and off parents for a while or something? Even our interns get paid more than that and they're loving useless

Is it maybe an animator only working for one job a year and take a bunch of different jobs to kinda stack them up? Or is this the final average from doing more than one show a year :(?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I love animation, but gently caress working in the animation industry. The same is true for any creative industry. Even science. STEM science.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only good job is financial trader.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Razzled posted:

There's a reason they had that Kickstarter for an animators dorm

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

There's a reason they had that Kickstarter for an animators dorm

What? Link please.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/animator-dormitories-for-start-ups

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh my god. Those poor loving bastards. Being an animator sucks.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
That's a pretty worthy kickstarter, good to see it exceed the goal.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Those poor bastards. I'll def. kick in for the next one.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Japan is probably the worst place for animators these days (though China and India are also quite bad). With Japan you have high cost of living combined with low pay and a shrinking market of anime fans who actually buy the product. It's why the attrition rate is so high and why so much of the animation talent goes to the video game industry instead. And then, if possible, jump ship to Vancouver to work in the Canadian animation industry, which is awash in government subsidies.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Tell me again why Japan isn't willing to let go of its "insane market price for anime goodies because only a few will buy it" mentality instead of switching to a reasonable pricing model and selling more. Is there really just not a market for anyone but the hardcore fans?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Demicol posted:

Tell me again why Japan isn't willing to let go of its "insane market price for anime goodies because only a few will buy it" mentality instead of switching to a reasonable pricing model and selling more. Is there really just not a market for anyone but the hardcore fans?

Rental stores are still a pretty huge thing over there so it's more like the casual fans will rent and the hardcore will pay a lot to own it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Demicol posted:

Probably because it's just that much more lucrative to appeal to the hardcore fans as they tend to have more money than sense. Especially if you consider that they would rather live like poo poo so they can spend their savings on otaku-bait merchandise.

It's not all that different from free-to-play games and micro-transactions or gambling. It's a way of taking advantage of people with poor self-control and rational thinking.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Demicol posted:

Is there really just not a market for anyone but the hardcore fans?

No, there really isn't. They've tried to bring the prices down to earth, and each time the increase in sales didn't make up for the price drop. If you really did get prices down to what normal people would pay, you're going to require a huge sales increase, like a hundred times over, and there really aren't millions of people waiting to buy shows about being attracted to your sister. There are, however, a few thousand willing to pay hundreds of dollars a season for this stuff, so that's where they make the money.

People bring up rental places as an explanation for this madness, but most anime aren't stocked by rental shops. There's just so much anime getting made that they fill up the room they make for anime with just a small percentage of what gets made. Casual fans are stuck watching on TV only, or if they do buy stuff it's manga, novels, or merchandise. The people who make money off of that stuff are almost always part of the committee that funded the show in the first place.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

At the same time, imports are ludicrously priced so they're likely not getting much overseas sales without regional distribution deals.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
The real way for them to make money overseas is to improve their digital distribution methods. Licensing is always a pain in the rear end but if Netflix and CR can figure it out I'm sure they can figure out a way to do it better.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Razzled posted:

The real way for them to make money overseas is to improve their digital distribution methods. Licensing is always a pain in the rear end but if Netflix and CR can figure it out I'm sure they can figure out a way to do it better.

DAISUKI is proof that it's apparently hard for Japan to make something overseas viewers will want to use.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

nielsm posted:

DAISUKI is proof that it's apparently hard for Japan to make something overseas viewers will want to use.

It's been about a year or since I checked out what Daisuke is up to and, what do you know, it's still absolutely nothing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The only times I've used Daisuki were to watch new -monogatari stuff since the Crunchyroll streams were on a long delay, and for some Gundam stuff since for the first time ZZ Gundam had official English subs up there.

Emphasis on had, because welp they pulled ZZ Gundam from the site.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Srice posted:

The only times I've used Daisuki were to watch new -monogatari stuff since the Crunchyroll streams were on a long delay, and for some Gundam stuff since for the first time ZZ Gundam had official English subs up there.

Emphasis on had, because welp they pulled ZZ Gundam from the site.

Not thread-relevant, but the name ZZ Gundam makes me think of Gundams with big bushy white beards. :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

PA Works throws us a bone by showing Ema work through her mental block and then follows that by showing how thoroughly unsatisfying and droll Aoi's sister's office job is.

It's like they don't want us to work anywhere. :v:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

Just started this show and I like it. Anyway I do remember some documentary following animators in Japan and it was beyond rough. Wish I could remember what it was.

nuru posted:

At the same time, imports are ludicrously priced so they're likely not getting much overseas sales without regional distribution deals.

Spirited Away BD is like...$80. :arghfist:

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 28, 2014

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Shirobako: At least you aren't a japanese office lady.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I really sympathize a lot with the struggles Ema and others have. Trying to learn in an environment where a lot of buzz/news/attention is around geniuses and people who seem to just be mystically amazing can really shatter your confidence. Somehow there seems to be a lot of implied shame about learning from others or going through the simple paces, because there's this expectation that you're supposed to just get it right the first time on your own.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I felt so sorry for the newbie key animator who feels so hopeless when she has to do the retakes. Because it actually is amazing that someone can become a key animator in only a year and a half. Most take 3-5 years to get there. But I guess she really wanted to be one of those genius people able to do it in 3 months especially when she feels the industry only values geniuses.

Maybe if these animators were better compensated they wouldn't feel this same sense of hopelessness. But now it's like their artistic pride and financial future is tied up in how fast they can become a great and fast key animator. That is so much pressure.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Taru, I already am your overseas fan. :swoon:

devtesla fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 30, 2014

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Episode 6 got pulled from Crunchyroll, possibly because of all the Ideon references.

Or because of the all-female rendition of Waiting for Godot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_for_Godot#Beckett.27s_objection_to_female_actors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Exodus seems like a really terrible anime

Shirobako is pretty good though. CG Classmate's conflict of a well paying and secure job VS an interesting one is another good thing to spotlight, and probably the one I've related to the most.

• Locked thread