Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I think they're a good way to showcase that what you're doing isn't too easy and where it's easy to mess up on these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
The failure showcase in your no death super meat boy videos was a welcome sight and it is nice to see it made a reappearance in this series.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The sea is beautiful. That music in the deep ocean is just haunting.

Not, like, Endless Ocean haunting, just regular kind.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
New video!

Let's Play Rayman Origins 11 - Sea of Serendipity Part 2 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Naturally on versions of Origins that have achievements/trohpies, the Mosquito's secondary attack has an achievement linked to it, and that's to suck up 50 enemies, and you'll never use it again after.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pkease tell me there are no more Lum chorals in this game.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Samovar posted:

Wow, seriously? Those tunes are pretty good. I mean seriously listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUy3e2cJlX4

But no there's only two of those kinds of tracks in the game as far as I know.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
The thing I really liked about the music in these levels is that it's all variations on a single theme. The upbeat, cheery version when you first arrive, used for bright areas, the peaceful version when you get into the caves, and the one that cuts all the vocals and makes the rest spooky and tense when you're exploring the dark depths. They are all still the same song at the base, and that's a cool thing.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Samovar posted:

You're in luck. There's only a chant.

AHungryRobot posted:

Wow, seriously? Those tunes are pretty good. I mean seriously listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUy3e2cJlX4

But no there's only two of those kinds of tracks in the game as far as I know.

According to this interview you just named the composer Christophe Heral's favourite song in the game. Kind of an odd choice if you ask me, but to each their own...

I remember reading somewhere that he composed the entire soundtrack in something like two weeks with Billy Martin, which is just insanely impressive considering the variety of songs here.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Sorry about the late update. I haven't had access to my computer lately and haven't been able to make more videos as a result. The 5th world has been recorded, it just needs editing and commentary.

Sea of Serendipity Part 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Just three levels in this one. I never felt at home with the SoS time trials, but they're not super difficult or anything. Chain attacking enemies still works underwater, and you can move faster by attacking, but if you just want the Electoon and don't care for your time, you can just swim casually (holding the run button, naturally) through both Swimming with Stars and Freaking Flipper and have more than enough time to get them.

Port 'o Panic ends before the swimming section. It's probably my favourite as far as time trials go. Lots of little slopes to gain speed and the whole airship trying to gun you down -sequence is a ton of fun. It's also easier than trying to scrounge all the valuables on a normal playthrough.

Next time: mountaing climbing.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
They are slightly odd with how they do their speed run times. Here you are speeding through it and you end with just a few second buffer and with the wind snake you would have had to try to not get the gold cup.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I recently bought Rayman Legends and it is quite a blast to play. I'd actually say that the new levels are even better than the ones from origins. This LP helped me to make this decision. So thanks for that!

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Update!

Mystical Pique Part 1 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Mystical Pique is a mountain/cave chapter and it's a nice change of scenery after swimming and ice levels. The Pique is a ton of fun, not least because of our last power-up: wall running. They certainly make you use it a lot, too. Lots of treasures are hidden in areas you need to access with it as well, so you'll get plenty of practice with it.

Moseying the Mountain functions as an introductory level in the same vein as Port 'o Panic, where the first half is more typical platforming rather reminiscient of Jibberish Jungle with a similar colour scheme. Once you get the powerup it changes quite a bit though, much like was the case in world 4. I don't play it a whole lot due to some silly minigames (that can also glitch the gently caress out) and because you can't skip the power-up scene. Yes, I'm impatient like that.

Mystical Munkeys on the other hand gives us indoor and outdoor sections that have an entirely different atmosphere and gameplay. We get some more ice in the outdoor areas, but it doesn't feel like replaying Gourmand Land, as the levels are constructed vertically. Makes sense, since it's a mountain/cave world of sorts.

All in all a great chapter, it's a shame it only has four levels plus the Tricky Treasure. I could definitely spend some more time in the cave areas.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
:stare:

Well that was certainly a thing that happened, was this time the game bugged out the way it did?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I'm liking how you seem to be enjoying editing these videos more and more, it makes them more funner (which is as much of a word as munkey).

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
These guys may be assholes, for throwing Globox out, but they would have had to change their name otherwise.
Imagine the stares he would get every time he explains that he is a red wizzard.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The crazy thing about this game is that I keep thinking "this is the best music yet!"...
...In every single new video.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Air is lava! posted:

These guys may be assholes, for throwing Globox out, but they would have had to change their name otherwise.
Imagine the stares he would get every time he explains that he is a red wizzard.

Nah, not being a red wizard anymore was a very depressing event. It made him quite blue.

I'm impressed by this thread, Wugga, loving this game and ... most of its music.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Helena Handbasket? Why couldn't they have just called her Helen Back?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, they really set you up to be a big jerk to those wizards.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
It's okay. They are Very Serious Guys and therefore their role in a narrative as silly as this is to be poked, prodded, and smacked around by the heroes in a vain effort to get them to Lighten Up.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Glazius posted:

Man, they really set you up to be a big jerk to those wizards.

You can cause them some more distress, actually. If you keep attacking them while they're stuck on the wrong side of the door, you can push them inside it and they're stuck there for good. And once on the second screen they're completely docile and never attack you either. The level is basically a huge red wizard harrasment center.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Samovar posted:

Helena Handbasket? Why couldn't they have just called her Helen Back?

Helena is more of a viking name.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Just a heads up, I just encoded the second Pique video..... and the audio is a total mess with constant white noise on left channel. It's also all slowed down to about 10% and the pitch is affected as well. I have no idea what may have caused it and hopefully I can figure it out soon enough, but obviously it's gonna a little while. Probably wont' be up until tomorrow.

Sorry. :(

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Nevermind, I got it to work. And it only required a few live sacrifices.

Mystical Pique Part 2 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

This update is rather short, thanks to Mystical Pique having only 4 levels and the Tricky Treasure. I originally wanted to clump the first two updates together, but I opted for the familiar concept of 3 videos per world.

Way of the electoons is the last bridge level and it's also the most interesting one by far. For all the previous ones, you'd get enough Lums for two Electoons no problem, but here you really need to memorize the level. That said, I wouldn't call it difficult. I usually prefer good flow over arbitrary collectible positioning, but it's short enough that it won't get annoying even if you have to redo it a few times. I also keep calling Lums Electoons in the video, but it doesn't matter because PERFECT SCORE! :toot:

Golly G. Golem is much like Mystical Munkeys and the latter half Moseying the Mountain. It also has the third boss fight of the game (fourth if you count the two Murrays in Sea of Serendipity, which I don't) and he's piss easy, much like all the bosses so far. Come to think of it, I think the Boss Bird way back in world 1 was the hardest boss we've seen. I would have enjoyed some extra challenge, but it's still better than ending things with a Mosquito level.

To conclude: Mystical Pique is awesome. And it only gets better with the time trials.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Wow, this game is bigger than I thought. I was under the impression that you'd get all of the levels from Origins in Legends, but there seem to be a few they didn't include in the sequel.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

Wow, this game is bigger than I thought. I was under the impression that you'd get all of the levels from Origins in Legends, but there seem to be a few they didn't include in the sequel.

They also made the levels they included a lot easier, like removing some obstacles, making jumps easier and a few other tweaks, so people who play Legends first will be in for one hell of a wake up call when they play Origins.

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT
Not to mention hitting the lum goals in Legends is a hell of a lot easier than in Origins.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Air is lava! posted:

Origins has about 60 levels, but only 40 were imported to Legends. It's been a while since I've played Legends, but according to this list we've already seen some levels that didn't make it to the remakes. They also clumped the easy and hard worlds together into one.

As for the difficulty, the controls in Legends are also way more responsive, thanks to an improved physics engine. It's really obvious in Tricky Treasure maps, which I cleared on my first try in Legends, despite some of them taking me several tries in Origins. It's other tweaks that made "Back to Origins" inferior to the original, however; if I could, I'd import Legends' controls to Origins any day. They're massively superior.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Update!

Mystical Pique Part 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

We're just about halfway through the game now with the alternative four worlds and Moody Clouds left. I considered putting the next world up for a vote, but since I'm a sucker for consistency - and because I sort of already recorded Ticklish Temples - I think I'll just do them in the same order as the first half. However, since we now have all the abilities, it could be cool to revisit some older levels and redo time trials properly and I'll definitely be taking suggestions for those.

I'm pretty happy with how these levels turned out. Aside maybe from Moseying, which started off terribly and was full of stupid little mistakes. Munkeys and Golly on the other hand I'm pretty content with. There are definitely some things I'd do differently if I went back to record, but you could spend a week with each level perfecting each screen and there are actual speedruns out there.

I know keep repeating myself, but Time Trials and speedrunning really make this chapter shine. In fact I think it's the best chapter for that so far thanks to the wallrunning ability, and most importantly the ability to jump off walls while running on them. It's a massive speed boost in several areas and makes you rethink how to clear rooms. It's a totally new angle for running the game and I love it.

Next time: the game gets difficult.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I have to admit, I was really surprised when those four extra worlds popped up!

I never even finished the third world of this game. :( I played a lot more of Rayman Legends (and loved it!) but now I'm spoiled and can't go back to this game. It's a pity.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Well the new worlds are a lot more difficult than the rest of the game, and they also contain actual boss fights which are not really hard, fun though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I would love to see you break the gently caress out of some time trials, but really as a bonus video when you're done with the game proper. You've got the Electoon, that's good enough for the game.

I'm all for doing the new levels in order, and I actually kind of suspected there'd be more to the levels given all the stuff that was introduced and never used.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
I'm not crazy about posting to say there isn't an update, but... there isn't one. Instead, here's an explanation as to why:

It's been a rather hectic start for the year. I've been trying to find work, wrapping up my master's thesis that's been in the works for about a year now and my band's in the process of releasing an album so between writing and listening to music tracks for errors and generally sorting things out I'm just really loving tired all the time. I also can't very well record whenever I want because I don't live alone. I've had two videos edited waiting for commentary and I've tried making commentary a few times when I'm by myself but the end result has been less than satisfactory, probably due to aforementioned drowsiness. I mean I could just blurt out whatever pops in my head without giving it a second thought and post the video, but the end result would be horrendous so I'd rather take my time and meticulously edit out any stutters and ummms and uhhs and what have you. That's worked so far in my opinion and I think everyone will be happier with somewhat thought-out commentary than mediocre adlib.

Anyway, thread isn't dead, it's just resting. Thanks for understanding. :)

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Told you this thread isn't dead. Here, have an update.

Ticklish Temples Part 1 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

So, second half of the game. Counterparts to the first four worlds with a bit of an increase in challenge and it starts off strong. By now the game expects you to have mastered all the various powerups you have and it makes use of all of them right from the get-go. As I say in the video, they don't utilize them that much later on, which I think is a missed opportunity, but at least there's something. Like a few swimming sections here and there. It keeps things interesting and fun to play. Speaking of which, many of the levels appear to be kind of sibling levels to the first half. It's like they had a concept for a level and made two of them with differing difficulty. Some might call it lazy. I think it's brilliant. Kind of brings Super Meat Boy's Dark World to mind.

The difficulty curve is nice. While there isn't any set order to do the "hard" worlds, I find Ticklish Temples to be probably the easiest of the lot, which is why it's a good way to kick things off.

I think I actually prefer the second half to the first. Not because of the difficulty, but because the levels themselves are much more enjoyable somehow. Mind you, my first time playing I drat near ripped my hair out in some of these stages because they handed me my rear end. Actually, they handed me several asses. Playing them now, they're not that tough, but hoo boy, not having mastered all the controls when you enter this phase of the game means you're in a world of hurt. Or maybe I'm just a bad player, take your pick.

Lastly, I had to record the audio in several takes in the course of a few weeks so try not to mind the differing tones of my voice. It's suprisingly difficult to imitate your intonation and tone from the day before.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Oh yeah, the extra levels are a lot tougher than the first set and when we reach them, the big boss fights are a decent challenge, my favourite is the boss of Gourmand Land, however Legends has some amazing fights, the Giant Luchador from the 3rd world is the best one in the series.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, this game is just so colourful, though it keeps reminding me of Jazz Jackrabbit and how they never made a sequel. Alas.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Man, this game is just so colourful, though it keeps reminding me of Jazz Jackrabbit and how they never made a sequel. Alas.

Well, it's nearly two decades old, but there actually was a sequel. As far as I can remember, it's really good, too. I think it's abandonware and you can legally download it, but I won't post a link in case it's considered :filez:

Oh, and by the way, here's an update.

Ticklish Temples Part 2: (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Now that we're (nearly) done with World 6 I can safely say it's one of my favorites*. It makes use of powerups a lot and there's a ton of variety in the levels. It's not that the later worlds lack variety, but it's just so refreshing to start "anew" in a manner of speaking and get all these different looking areas and fluctuating musical cues. If I'd played any other "hard" world before this one, they probably would've been just as memorable, but since I went for this one first, it automatically latched itself in that part of my brain that always remembers awesome stuff.

Climb out is neat because there aren't that many vertical levels in the game and because it gives you several different paths to take. Of course, it also makes speedrunning a bastard and half since you have to time each path separately and usually try different tactics to see what works and what doesn't. Still flowing is my favourite in World 6 because of aforementioned variety. There's some strange stuff about it like that one secret I mention in the video, but it's an all-around solid level and just a pleasure to play. Poor little daisy is cool and all, but I 'm not a huge fan of boss fights that are always the same. Speedrunners would probably nail me to a cross for saying this, but RNG is so much more engaging than Preset Rule-of-3 when it comes to bosses. I never come back to the boss fights in this game when I play individual levels and I didn't even remember the pattern for Carnivora during my test runs and died a few times like a total noob.

Sidenote: goddamnit I redid my commentary several times and tried to iron out mistakes but accidentally referred to Carnivora as both a he and a she. Could be because we don't have gender specific pronouns and my mind automatically goes to masculine when referring to ambiguous flower-monsters, but I swear I keep making that mistake. Every country should just drop the whole gender-specific nonsense and get a bit closer to a Nordic linguistically egalitarian utopia.

Next update is in the works, and I actually have something new planned to replace the speedrun trashbin-stuff cause I think it was getting kind of old, so stay tuned.

*I'll keep saying this about all the future worlds, too. Take it with a grain of salt.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When the heck is Carnivora ever referred to being male/female in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Samovar posted:

When the heck is Carnivora ever referred to being male/female in the game?

Pretty sure s/he isn't. I'm getting most of my information from the Rayman Wiki, which in turn usually refers to hidden game files and interviews from devs. I sincerely doubt anyone ever pointed out Carnivora's gender and I don't actually care; I just dislike having inconsistencies like that in the video after going through it with a fine tooth comb. But yeah, I doubt many people would've even noticed if I hadn't pointed it out myself. :)

• Locked thread