Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Wugga posted:

Pretty sure s/he isn't. I'm getting most of my information from the Rayman Wiki, which in turn usually refers to hidden game files and interviews from devs. I sincerely doubt anyone ever pointed out Carnivora's gender and I don't actually care; I just dislike having inconsistencies like that in the video after going through it with a fine tooth comb. But yeah, I doubt many people would've even noticed if I hadn't pointed it out myself. :)

Well, according to that very wiki, Carnivora's female! :eng101: But since s/he's one of the four kings that would actually suggest male... but you're right, it doesn't really matter. I didn't notice you kept switching, I thought you were using 'she' throughout, so I guess that's confirmation bias at work.

Since I'm posting anyway, I may as well finally come out and say that I love this LP a lot. I find it very soothing to watch for some reason, it's really nice to have on in the background while I'm doing something else, and I'm sure your laid back commentary is part of that, so kudos, dude. Keep up the good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I guess when they listed it somewhere for the translation to gendered languages?

Also I remembered Jazz 2, heck, I even had the European add-on with the third character. Just, sigghhh.

Whatever happened to the western 2D platformer?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Carnivora is a plant, which means it probably has both pistils and stamens, making it male and female! So technically, you were correct in calling it by both pronouns.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I am so pleased by the addition of the happy flower boss appearing on the map once defeated. I don't know why, but it's really cute.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
UPDATE!

Ticklish Temples Part 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

That took a lot of time to put together. And I left a bunch of stuff out as well. Please don't hold it against me if I drop this from the next time trial video cause hoooooo boy my head is spinning from all the editing.

Can't really think of anything else to say about this one, the video says it all. Feel free to ask any questions though. Or point out any flaws, whatever. I'm off to not play Rayman for a while.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
The last half of the video was quite interesting. I do like to see how things can be deconstructed.

If they gave a time credit for lums, like 1sec for every 10 lums, how do you thing that would change how you approached these things?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

I am so pleased by the addition of the happy flower boss appearing on the map once defeated. I don't know why, but it's really cute.

Sometimes a boss is just having a really bad morning.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, a lotta thought put into speedruns. I thought it was just like Sonic says, ya gotta go fast.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Man, a lotta thought put into speedruns. I thought it was just like Sonic says, ya gotta go fast.

There's this old-ish indie game I've got kicking around on my Steam account that I really like called Dustforce, and basically what it IS is speedruns, in order to unlock later levels you have to learn to play the current levels really well. One thing they do that I really like is that they record your best run on each level and attach it to the leaderboards; so, if you're having trouble with a level, you can go on the leaderboards and see how the people higher on the charts did it, to see what you can do to improve your own time, and then just jump right back in while it's still fresh in your mind. I don't really see that a whole lot and I wish more speedrun games did it.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Does anyone remember the Vs. mode in sonic 3? I thing those 5 maps were the closest I have come to speed running a game. When Wugga was talking about jumping from exact spots I started remembering the tricks I had to do to win those races.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Major_JF posted:

If they gave a time credit for lums, like 1sec for every 10 lums, how do you thing that would change how you approached these things?

That would make it somewhat different I guess. It would really depend on the bonus you'd get, though; most Lums are so out of your way, there'd be no point in spending time collecting most of them as you can clear a lot of distance in a matter of seconds. I'd imagine some Lum King bonuses would be worth your while and possibly a coin here and there. Maybe if they stopped the timer altogether for a short time it would be different. It would make for an interesting game mode, though.

Dr. Buttass posted:

One thing they do that I really like is that they record your best run on each level and attach it to the leaderboards; so, if you're having trouble with a level, you can go on the leaderboards and see how the people higher on the charts did it, to see what you can do to improve your own time, and then just jump right back in while it's still fresh in your mind. I don't really see that a whole lot and I wish more speedrun games did it.

Rayman Legends did something in the same vein. You can turn on "ghosts" for other players in weekly and daily challenges while running them yourself. While it's somewhat intrusive it can be a big help if you're having trouble figuring something out or if you want pointers from better runners. I really loved plotting out the routes in that one myself and it's the probably main reason I'm so familiar with all the different strategies for Origins as well. Sometimes I think of going back to playing them, but after the game stopped working for me for over a year I have no hopes of getting back to Top 10 on the leaderboards ever again so I just sort of dropped it. It might be for the best, though. It was a total timesink.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
New world, new update y'all.

I also updated the second post, added descriptions for Blue Punch -powerup and the Time Trial cup if anyone cares for that stuff. Oh, and slightly altered banners for the first post too. Isn't it funny how much you can accomplish when you have important academic deadlines to meet?

Grumbling Grottos Part 1: (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Grumbling Grottos is like a collection of gimmick levels. I mean sure, Gourmand Land was hot/cold and the Sea of Serendipity was just swimming around... but none of them had as much variety as Grottos does. The closest it comes to "typical" level design is High Voltage, which we won't see until the next update. Everything else has something else going for it. Also, awesome music and backgrounds.

Savage Swarms is awesome and shows you can make a perfectly good level without any beatable baddies. I never even noticed this until editing, which probably means it's a good thing, right?

If I had to pick my least favourite of the lot, it would definitely be Tricky Winds. It's so long-winded (oh yeah, that's going straight to the youtube-description) and slow I feel it should either be half as long or heavily rely on other mechanics than floating around. It just feels like a longer version of Wind or Lose. On the other hand, the secret rooms are fun to play. If they took the ideas for those rooms and used them for the level more, it would be so much better. I'd much rather see a maze room with several wind pipes that take you all over the place Looney Tunes-style than slowly float upwards or right.

Don't shoot the DJ is a.... decent flying level. I guess. Yeah. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The desert world remains the best for ambiance, at least.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Uh... I distinctly remember seeing a bird in that last section where you have to hit those gongs before entering the ending scene, at 05:16.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Samovar posted:

Uh... I distinctly remember seeing a bird in that last section where you have to hit those gongs before entering the ending scene, at 05:16.

You, dear sir, should lay off the hallucinogens! If that were true, I'd probably have to mention that in a future video somewhere!

I have no loving clue how my mind erased that.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Wugga posted:

Does anyone else feel that the second level is a bit LONG-WINDED?!

Thread over, we're done here.

Honestly though, all of these levels look fairly interesting and it makes me kinda sad that I never got past the underwater area. I beat that section, but never actually got around to continuing. Might have to do that now.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Rayman Origins 19.5 - Erratum (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

I may have gone a little bit overboard here. I humbly apologize for yelling and making a scene in this video. It was immature, uncalled for and it's the last time I'll let my feelings take over me. I hope we can all put this behind us and act as if this never happened.

Fractures
Oct 21, 2008
So, would now be a bad time to point out there are also birds (that you punch) at 2:00 and 2:07 in the last video? Still, 3 is almost 1, which is almost 0, so you were basically right...

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Fractures posted:

So, would now be a bad time to point out there are also birds (that you punch) at 2:00 and 2:07 in the last video? Still, 3 is almost 1, which is almost 0, so you were basically right...

Yeah those don't count.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Wugga posted:

Yeah those don't count.

Well if you didn't bother meticulously counting the number of bad guys why should they? :v:

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

FoolyCharged posted:

Well if you didn't bother meticulously counting the number of bad guys why should they? :v:

If you think you can coax me into making another video, you are gravely mistaken!

I'm uploading an actual update this weekend.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This LP is something special :v:

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Wugga posted:

If you think you can coax me into making another video, you are gravely mistaken!

Ironclad proof! Just what I would expect from a quality LP by Wugga. Rated 5 for exacting demonstration of avian absences.
[Majesty LP reminded me that rating threads is a thing]

Nekomimi-Maiden fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 9, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Wugga posted:

You heard the man, no birds.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Wugga posted:

yay! :dance:

Well, the evidence can't be argued with, there are clearly no birds in that level.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
I promised an update this weekend, didn't I? Here you go.

Grumbling Grottos Part 2: (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

So, we're back on track. And to make up for the absence of birds in the previous update, there's a giant one in this one!

I suck at Photoshop.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The Big Bird's pretty cool but the next major boss is my favorite one in Origins, as I've said before, Legends has overall better bosses but these ones show up as well in the updated Origins stages.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

The Big Bird's pretty cool but the next major boss is my favorite one in Origins, as I've said before, Legends has overall better bosses but these ones show up as well in the updated Origins stages.

I dunno, the bosses in legends don't turn into adorable additions to the map :colbert:

VVVVVVVVVVV
but he's completely undercut by the even more amazing choice of song for the stage that followed him.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 12, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

I dunno, the bosses in legends don't turn into adorable additions to the map :colbert:

But you don't fight a Giant Luchador called El Chilli in Origins, and he's the greatest boss. :colbert:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Judge Tesla posted:

Origins is a better game than Legends, bosses included. Too bad they hosed around with the origins levels when they remastered them.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

second-hand smegma posted:

Origins is a better game than Legends, bosses included. Too bad they hosed around with the origins levels when they remastered them.

I don't know exactly what you're referring to with "hosed around", but I have to say that personally, having played Origins through quite a few times time I rather enjoyed the fact they included the captive Teensies in the remastered levels. It breathed new life into them, not to mention the upgraded graphics and improved controls made them prettier and slightly more enjoyable to play. The only thing that made the Legends' one worse, in my opinion, was that getting Lums was made waaaay too easy. I mean there was zero challenge in getting enough of them, what with the aforemantioned teensies pouring them your way. And the paintings gallery wasn't quite as charming as the world map in Origins. But if I had my way, I'd take Legends' graphics and controls and slam them onto Origins and hey presto: better game.

Thanks for bringing this up, though. It gave me an idea for an extra update.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Double posting for an update.

Grumbling Grottos Part 3 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

This chapter's time trials took surprisingly long to put together. Aside from Tricky Winds I tried to find as many skips as possible inside the levels, but playing Savage Swarms for a few hours and dying on the first screen a lot took its toll on me. It's a good chapter for speeding through though, and I'm especially glad they made Snake Eyes speedrun-friendly. Too bad Tricky Winds kind of sucks.

That leaves us with two more worlds before we can enter Moody Clouds. I have the next two videos almost ready, but I won't have time to work on them for the next two weeks due to my master's thesis, so please be patient if they take a little longer. I'll have plenty of time to work on this LP starting next month.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wugga posted:

I don't know exactly what you're referring to with "hosed around", but I have to say that personally, having played Origins through quite a few times time I rather enjoyed the fact they included the captive Teensies in the remastered levels. It breathed new life into them, not to mention the upgraded graphics and improved controls made them prettier and slightly more enjoyable to play. The only thing that made the Legends' one worse, in my opinion, was that getting Lums was made waaaay too easy. I mean there was zero challenge in getting enough of them, what with the aforemantioned teensies pouring them your way. And the paintings gallery wasn't quite as charming as the world map in Origins. But if I had my way, I'd take Legends' graphics and controls and slam them onto Origins and hey presto: better game.

Thanks for bringing this up, though. It gave me an idea for an extra update.

The original tricky treasure levels were almost all changed for Legends, some in minor ways, some completely swapped for new ones. New levels for certain worlds were put in to replace some of the best platforming levels in the original that didn't make the cut, including the final level (which is weird and frustrating because they brought over EVERY mosquito level, the worst part of Origins).

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

The original tricky treasure levels were almost all changed for Legends, some in minor ways, some completely swapped for new ones. New levels for certain worlds were put in to replace some of the best platforming levels in the original that didn't make the cut, including the final level (which is weird and frustrating because they brought over EVERY mosquito level, the worst part of Origins).

It's very much an opinion issue, and I can see why a lot of people might think one way or the other, but the fact that I barely got to the water level in this and 100% Legends does speak for, if nothing else, the quality of Legends' levels and rate of progression.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Ooookay... I certainly do remember some levels being left out, but I can't recall levels being entirely replaced. Admittedly, it's been a while since I played Legends (not to mention Back to Origins) so clearly I have to get back to it at some point. Replacing levels entirely seems like a really weird thing to do.

Personally I preferred Legends on the whole due to the improved production values and smoother gameplay, but that's neither here nor there.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I can see why the final level was left out as it's EVIL but bits of it were used for the awesome music stages and online time trials.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

I can see why the final level was left out as it's EVIL but bits of it were used for the awesome music stages and online time trials.
I got Rayman Legends recently and those music stages were my favorite part right up until I found the 8-Bit versions.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Wugga posted:

Just caught up to the LP, and I nearly died from these two videos. Thank you.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Found a little bit of free time to iron out the flaws from this, have an update:

Luscious Lakes Part 1 (Baldurdash | Youtube | Download)

Oh god so many puns. I hope that's what you're here for.

Luscious Lakes consists of only 4 levels (+Tricky Treasure), so I just cut this off at the halfway point. It's probably my least favourite world in the game. I'm not saying it's a bad chapter, mind you. Just that as a continuation of Gourmand Land it falls a bit short.

Dragon Soup is pretty cool, with a ton of new platforms and obstacles. It's an absolute horror to speedrun though, but I'll cover that when it's time. The Moskito level is a lot of fun compared to many of the previous ones. I'm guessing I was traumatized by the one found in Ticklish Temples to the point where I thought they were all horrible, but that is not the case. Most flying levels in the second half of the game are actually pretty enjoayble.

Starting next week I'll have a TON of more free time, so I'll probably be updating more frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GKirby
Jun 19, 2008

I DID IT ALL FOR THE GAMBIT
I always figured the idea was that Globox is the one flying, and the mosquito is just riding on him.

• Locked thread