Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
The last time Kane looked threatening was when AJ dressed up like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

If I help you now it sets a bad example to my fans.
I just realized is Fandango dead or injured? what the hell happened to that guy?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Paige and Alicia Fox...huh...

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Every time. I love that DDT.

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

Paige as a face is subgarbage level.
Paige as a heel is fantastic

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Did that match even last a couple minutes?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Pariah Rex posted:

Us Brits have always been the best bad guys.

EMPHASIS, Kane, STRESS that SCRIIPT!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BigRed0427 posted:

Can I admit something? It might be because I haven't seen enough NJPW but when ever I watch Japanese wrestling, it feels like the match structure eventually comes down to "Lets throw as many big moves as we can at each other" and it feels kind of dumb.

Usually in a big Japanese match, they'll reach the point where both guys essentially go,"gently caress me? No, gently caress YOU!" and start smacking the poo poo out of each other. Even then, what they're doing is tied in very much with crowd reactions - guy gets hit with a huge move and leaps straight up, he does it with a big roar and the crowd knows business is about to pick up and react accordingly.

Strong (and other wrestlers, to be fair) has a tendency to get hit with a massive potential finishing move and be back up on his feet and running for the ropes almost before the mat has bounced once because he's so determined to get in his next big move. It really does feel to me like he's looked at that Japanese style and picked up on the "no-sell a big move" part but not all the stuff that goes into making that work.

I think it was Cornette (who is very much stuck in the past, admittedly) who complained that younger wrestlers used to tell him they did particular things "because Stone Cold did it!" even though that was only true on a really superficial level. It was something about turning your back on/not paying attention to your opponent on an entrance so you could play to the crowd, and Cornette pointed out that while Austin would play to the crowd on his entrance he NEVER took his eyes off his opponent while doing it, he was always aware at all times of where they were and whether they posed a potential risk.

Same deal with those backyard idiots who jump off roofs or smash themselves in the face with cinderblocks "because Mick Foley did it!" even though Foley's stuff only ever meant anything because he'd built up a relationship with the audience and used those high spots as emphasis for telling a particular story.

TL;DR - I'm an old man, kids these days :argh:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

pressedbunny posted:

I've actually forgotten they fought. Wow. gently caress Korporate Kane.

Kane really is your weird libertarian uncle at this point.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Pariah Rex posted:

That crazy promo didn't quite cement AJ as a face for me but I'm still enjoying this.

Have the Shield guys legit not done a HIAC match before? It's cool that they're making a big deal about that.

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

Remember when they had this ex referee as like a bartender or something talking about how after refereeing HiaC his family left him and his church shunned him. Then at the end of the interview he went off camera and they sold it like he was going to kill himself. What ppv was that on?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pariah Rex posted:

Remember when they had this ex referee as like a bartender or something talking about how after refereeing HiaC his family left him and his church shunned him. Then at the end of the interview he went off camera and they sold it like he was going to kill himself. What ppv was that on?

It was Tim White and it was in the build-up to I think an Undertaker/Orton match. It was intended as a one-off but the backlash from the implied suicide lead them to turn it into a really bad taste running gag of Tim White trying and failing to kill himself in more ridiculous ways.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Pariah Rex posted:

Tim White at Armageddon 2005. That lead on to a series of skits where each week he'd try a new way to kill himself. It ended with him shooting Josh Matthews. They don't talk about it any more.

Team B-list Cenas

pressedbunny fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 18, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

pressedbunny posted:

Tim White at Armageddon 2005. That lead on to a series of skits where each week he'd try a new way to kill himself. It ended with him shooting Josh Matthews. They don't talk about it any more.

I was actually at that PPV live when that happened. All I did was turn to my dad and ask "What the hell was that?" :psyduck:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
hahah Usos calling Sheamus Sheamoose

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

It was Tim White and it was in the build-up to I think an Undertaker/Orton match. It was intended as a one-off but the backlash from the implied suicide lead them to turn it into a really bad taste running gag of Tim White trying and failing to kill himself in more ridiculous ways.

Thanks. I don't remember any of the aftermath but I think about that stupid segment every time they do a cell match. It's got to be one of the stupidest segments ever right up there with Vince in the rocking chair, Vince blowing up in the limo, and Vince getting crushed by stage equipment.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Bray: Show me on the doll where society touched you Erik.

Edit: Season 4 of American Horror Story looks great!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pariah Rex posted:

Vince in the rocking chair

Vince in a rocking chair was great because it played up one of his own personality traits nicely, in that he is a loving lunatic.

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

Eric Rowan should be like Matt Damon in team america and only ever say his name.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pariah Rex posted:

Eric Rowan should be like Matt Damon in team america and only ever say his name.

Eric Rowan should only say,"Matt Damon"? Well... okay!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

achillesforever6 posted:

hahah Usos calling Sheamus Sheamoose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UMNja4aAAN0#t=352

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Haha, what the hell was that? Was a crow doing the Uso chant?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Who the gently caress let a pterodactyl loose in the crowd?

e:fb

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Eric Rowan should only say,"Matt Damon"? Well... okay!

Either way it's better than being Bray Wyatt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This commentary :stare:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

This commentary :stare:

Something about pizza?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Thanks for talking about the match going on, announcer guys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Something about pizza?

I'm pretty sure the entire thing was accompanied by Vince screaming,"TELL JBL THE BULL JOKE! TELL HIM THE loving BULL JOKE OR I'LL KILL YOUR FAMILY!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait... isn't the Sonic guy married? Why is he tryi.... oh my God, oh my God I know too much about the stupid characters in this lovely ad.... it's like reading DayByDay all over again :gonk:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Wait... isn't the Sonic guy married? Why is he tryi.... oh my God, oh my God I know too much about the stupid characters in this lovely ad.... it's like reading DayByDay all over again :gonk:

What was DayByDay?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

What was DayByDay?

Look at this post. See this ignorance on the subject matter you have? Treasure this ignorance and seek no further information. A little voice in your head will say,"Well why not Google it?" - don't. Ignore that voice, wallow in ignorance and enjoy the bliss that I can never truly have again.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

What was DayByDay?
Don't go on the PoliticalCartoons thread if you want to keep whatever optimism and joy you have for this world

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Look at this post. See this ignorance on the subject matter you have? Treasure this ignorance and seek no further information. A little voice in your head will say,"Well why not Google it?" - don't. Ignore that voice, wallow in ignorance and enjoy the bliss that I can never truly have again.

achillesforever6 posted:

Don't go on the PoliticalCartoons thread if you want to keep whatever optimism and joy you have for this world

Well, gently caress, I actually remember what it is now. Although I don't follow it as closely as you two do obviously.

Go read a good webcomic you two to feel better. I recommend Broodhollow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's a shame the fan-favorite faces The Dust Brothers didn't win that match.

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

My optimism and joy are long dead and I still don't think I want to see that thread.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Well, gently caress, I actually remember what it is now. Although I don't follow it as closely as you two do obviously.

Go read a good webcomic you two to feel better. I recommend Broodhollow.
I'm personally a fan of Skin Deep

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HarkAVagrant! makes the pain go away :)

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Worth staying up to see Big Show grooving to Henry's theme.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Pariah Rex posted:

My optimism and joy are long dead and I still don't think I want to see that thread.
See why I'm oddly positive for wrestling? Its because no matter how bad WWE gets, its way less banal than political cartoons from the likes of Muir, Lester, Rameriez, and Branco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
J-RU. GIF BIG SHOW DANCE.

• Locked thread