Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Teddy Long's restless spirit was summoned from the cold embrace of the grave last week for the Smackdown 15th Anniversary Show, and now rattles about demanding tribute. So tribute shall be paid, with a six man tag main event.

Also some other stuff will probably happen too. Seth Rollins opens the show, possible tension between Big Show and Mark Henry, Layla vs AJ in what will hopefully be longer than a 3 minute match, and Nikki vs Naomi are all scheduled to occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

You ever have that feeling that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel but then you get kicked back down? I'm almost there again but I'm hoping I don't get kicked back down again just before reaching it.

Well I hope this makes you feel better:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

...is.... is this promo being aimed at Jimmy Jacobs? :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, I thought Brock winning the title was a good idea originally. Now I'm starting to see the problem with having your champion being a guy who makes rare appearances in this day in age. With the title gone, the top tier guys are stretching to find reasons to fight.

I still think it's a good idea, but Heyman being absent as well is really dumb, as is NOT elevating the top remaining titleholders in Sheamus and Ziggler. Ziggler in particular, he just unceremoniously got beaten by Rusev a week or so back and the commentators didn't even casually mention he was the IC Champion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

Dude's got frizzy hair, doesn't look good in HD?

Triple H and Steph watch him soaking down before each appearance, look lovingly into each others eyes and reminisce.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dolph Ziggler - wants to be Billy Gunn, does X-Pac moves.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

or just walk up and press the target.

Bobby Heenan did this when Eric Bischoff was in a dunk tank on a Monday Nitro :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pariah Rex posted:

I did this at a fair (except I actually went behind the thing and tripped the lever) and a carney yelled at me.

Yeah but carneys aren't happy if they're not yelling at something

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think a faster match is fine so long as things are happening for a reason. One of my major problems with Roderick Strong matches is that he's a great wrestler but he's so determined about getting all his poo poo in that he often throws pacing and selling out the window. Ziggler is better in that he does a hell of a lot of selling, but often his offense just seems based on what he thinks is going to look cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pariah Rex posted:

Dolph Ziggler lost?!? That's unpossible!

Psst, by the way he's the Intercontinental Champion! :ssh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ambrose is going to turn Rollins' corpse into shoes :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Can I admit something? It might be because I haven't seen enough NJPW but when ever I watch Japanese wrestling, it feels like the match structure eventually comes down to "Lets throw as many big moves as we can at each other" and it feels kind of dumb.

Usually in a big Japanese match, they'll reach the point where both guys essentially go,"gently caress me? No, gently caress YOU!" and start smacking the poo poo out of each other. Even then, what they're doing is tied in very much with crowd reactions - guy gets hit with a huge move and leaps straight up, he does it with a big roar and the crowd knows business is about to pick up and react accordingly.

Strong (and other wrestlers, to be fair) has a tendency to get hit with a massive potential finishing move and be back up on his feet and running for the ropes almost before the mat has bounced once because he's so determined to get in his next big move. It really does feel to me like he's looked at that Japanese style and picked up on the "no-sell a big move" part but not all the stuff that goes into making that work.

I think it was Cornette (who is very much stuck in the past, admittedly) who complained that younger wrestlers used to tell him they did particular things "because Stone Cold did it!" even though that was only true on a really superficial level. It was something about turning your back on/not paying attention to your opponent on an entrance so you could play to the crowd, and Cornette pointed out that while Austin would play to the crowd on his entrance he NEVER took his eyes off his opponent while doing it, he was always aware at all times of where they were and whether they posed a potential risk.

Same deal with those backyard idiots who jump off roofs or smash themselves in the face with cinderblocks "because Mick Foley did it!" even though Foley's stuff only ever meant anything because he'd built up a relationship with the audience and used those high spots as emphasis for telling a particular story.

TL;DR - I'm an old man, kids these days :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pariah Rex posted:

Remember when they had this ex referee as like a bartender or something talking about how after refereeing HiaC his family left him and his church shunned him. Then at the end of the interview he went off camera and they sold it like he was going to kill himself. What ppv was that on?

It was Tim White and it was in the build-up to I think an Undertaker/Orton match. It was intended as a one-off but the backlash from the implied suicide lead them to turn it into a really bad taste running gag of Tim White trying and failing to kill himself in more ridiculous ways.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pariah Rex posted:

Vince in the rocking chair

Vince in a rocking chair was great because it played up one of his own personality traits nicely, in that he is a loving lunatic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pariah Rex posted:

Eric Rowan should be like Matt Damon in team america and only ever say his name.

Eric Rowan should only say,"Matt Damon"? Well... okay!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This commentary :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Something about pizza?

I'm pretty sure the entire thing was accompanied by Vince screaming,"TELL JBL THE BULL JOKE! TELL HIM THE loving BULL JOKE OR I'LL KILL YOUR FAMILY!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait... isn't the Sonic guy married? Why is he tryi.... oh my God, oh my God I know too much about the stupid characters in this lovely ad.... it's like reading DayByDay all over again :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

What was DayByDay?

Look at this post. See this ignorance on the subject matter you have? Treasure this ignorance and seek no further information. A little voice in your head will say,"Well why not Google it?" - don't. Ignore that voice, wallow in ignorance and enjoy the bliss that I can never truly have again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's a shame the fan-favorite faces The Dust Brothers didn't win that match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HarkAVagrant! makes the pain go away :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Show got moves!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"What are we?"
".....hungry?"
"That's right, we're family!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I need gifs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God that stipulation :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

makoto20 posted:

I still love Sister Abigail promos

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

I'm glad Seth is there strictly as an Observer.

This is a contest of gentlemen, Writer Cath, Mr. Rollins wouldn't lower the tone by getting involved.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Noooooo he was about to do his move! Seth this makes me want to boo you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha holy poo poo I only just noticed while making a gif, but Dean does the "I wanna take your face...... off" bit from Face/Off. :xd:

Yep, there it is!

• Locked thread