Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KaneTW posted:

hahahaha

Like I can accept Mushi-shi but the other two ahahhahhhhhhhhhhha

I guess that teaches me for liking popular anime by respected directors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So what is wrong with Ping Pong, then? Space Dandy, I can get the criticism, but Ping Pong?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Darth Walrus posted:

So what is wrong with Ping Pong, then? Space Dandy, I can get the criticism, but Ping Pong?

By being the perfect sports anime the genre is all down hill from here. drat you Ping Pong!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Their post history is Final Fantasy XIV, Twintails, and the Fate series so clearly a show with realistic teenagers is foreign to them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Heck, while I love Ping Pong to pieces I'd be down for hearing an opposing viewpoint about it, that could be interesting if nothing else!

Especially with that sort of dismissal towards it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

Their post history is Final Fantasy XIV, Twintails, and the Fate series so clearly a show with realistic teenagers is foreign to them.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Devil Tesla posted:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
You know how you can tell the quality of an action series by its quiet episodes? This was a good quiet episode. Rita continues to steal the show, the giffable moments continue to multiply, and the thread title becomes yet more appropriate.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

You know how you can tell the quality of an action series by its quiet episodes? This was a good quiet episode. Rita continues to steal the show, the giffable moments continue to multiply, and the thread title becomes yet more appropriate.

I'd say my thread title from the last page was even more appropriate.

But yeah, episode went by real fast, even though there wasn't much in the way of action.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
It was a really good quiet episode, aside from that one lengthy exposition scene. Am I crazy or does this show keep getting better?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mercrom posted:

It was a really good quiet episode, aside from that one lengthy exposition scene. Am I crazy or does this show keep getting better?

This show getting better every episode is standard fare by now.

Question: Isn't the guy with the pendant one of the knights? That facial hair is very similar to one of them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

This show getting better every episode is standard fare by now.

Question: Isn't the guy with the pendant one of the knights? That facial hair is very similar to one of them.

Yeah, we first saw him in the second episode. Last episode, he's the one who told Jeanne where Amira and crew were.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was so good. One of the things that I didn't like about the series so far was all the time taken for scenes that didn't seem to have a point, but now I completely get what they were doing, because this episode would have dragged on if they hadn't shown those scenes earlier. There's something of a theme going on, something about normal people in important places, and while it's not original in the slightest it's pretty compelling anyway.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
Eagerly looking forward to Favaro drunkenly tripping over something and accidentally stabbing Bahamut in the brain, thus killing it and becoming the knight of prophecy.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I need the soundtrack to this show.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
I just want the full version of the OP :rock:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Are we still thinking this is only one cour? The preview made it sound like next week is a recap episode.

I had no idea Amira was Shimizu Risa until I stumbled upon the cast list while trying to find out how many episodes are left. I always assumed she was played by Sakamoto Maaya since it sounds just like her, even in the ED song.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I want this show to go one for 24 episodes, not 12. :(

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Butt Ghost posted:

I want this show to go one for 24 episodes, not 12. :(

I can't find anywhere that officially confirms it's only 12 episodes, so there may still be hope.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
All the pages I checked listed an unknown end date. I would love 24+ episodes, but if next week really is a recap, it is probably one cour.

6 eps + 1 recap + 6 eps = 13.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like how sensible Heaven is being here. 'Let's treat the bringer of the apocalypse's friends nicely so we don't antagonise her any more than we need to' is a smart move that few people in their situation remember to take.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Its wonderful just how reasonable everyone is, even the crazier people. Its also depressing how unique that is in anime.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
This whole series is basically a DnD campaign. Right down to trying to find a reason to have the party members stick together.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
No shortage of those this season. In fact, we've got two very good ones, between this and Chaika.

Now for the million-dollar question - Rita or Frederica for Best Character?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

No shortage of those this season. In fact, we've got two very good ones, between this and Chaika.

Now for the million-dollar question - Rita or Frederica for Best Character?

Rita hasn't proved herself yet, even with her zombie rocket-arm punch.

But between Fredrica or Favaro? Now there's a quality matchup.

LostAndConfused
Sep 8, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

Rita hasn't proved herself yet, even with her zombie rocket-arm punch.

Zombie pirates, zombie giant crab, and zombie dragon weren't good enough for you? You must have very high standards.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Rita is the best with her "God drat kids" look plastered on her face at all times. Also Miyuki Sawashiro owns.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

LostAndConfused posted:

Zombie pirates, zombie giant crab, and zombie dragon weren't good enough for you? You must have very high standards.

Alright, maybe she is up there with Fredrica and Favaro.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm a big fan of Kaisar, personally. He almost managed to have a thought after days of continuous effort, but then he decided that he'd much rather yell at Favaro and have a silverware duel.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

This whole series is basically a DnD campaign. Right down to trying to find a reason to have the party members stick together.

Could you expand on that? People keep saying this about shows and I just don't see it. For example, I haven't seen any dnd games where the party starts off separately and stays separate for the majority of the game like this shows characters have.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joshlemagne posted:

Could you expand on that? People keep saying this about shows and I just don't see it. For example, I haven't seen any dnd games where the party starts off separately and stays separate for the majority of the game like this shows characters have.

Well they've been in the same general area for most of the time, just not acknowledging that they're actually a party. I've seen at least one game in which the beginning conceit is that the party starts at odds with itself, on group chasing another, only to be forced together by plot. That game ended poorly because the party stayed at odds and backstabbed each other at the first opportunity instead of bonding during the adversity, some pretty bad players and a not so great DM.

But I really just meant more of the general tone and especially the conceits that let the party meet more powerful opponents only to have some third party handily drive them off, give exposition and whisk them to a new area. The whole "containing an ancient evil" quest, the iffy cosmology, just the setting in general all remind me of a DnD campaign. Still highly enjoyable though.

Poke
Mar 1, 2004

What the hell is this?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Poke posted:

What the hell is this?

Disgusting
Rape
Anime
Get
Out
Now

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, why do we not have more gifs yet?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Recap this week

guess Tarou hosed it all up

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Goddammit Tarou, did you think they were kidding when they said no more recap episodes?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

poo poo, then I guess that means we have a 1-cour here. Goddammit, I could watch so much of this.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there any reason to watch the recap episode or should I just skip it?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have heard it is 100% recycled footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Srice posted:

I have heard it is 100% recycled footage.

Is it at least the good footage? I mean, if they just made an episode that was every fight scene from the previous episodes I would probably watch that.

• Locked thread