Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
how can no one have posted this yet? what a bunch of gay losers.

naem
May 29, 2011

Agrajag posted:

how can no one have posted this yet? what a bunch of gay losers.

I was looking for that thnks

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
the abortion machine was like the only scene that belonged in an Alien prequel, not coincidentally the only funny scene

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

hackbunny posted:

the abortion machine was like the only scene that belonged in an Alien prequel, not coincidentally the only funny scene

good thing it wasn't an alien prequel movie

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Yeah, whatever, cool gif+sexy lady, but anyways, it's disgusting that there are still people out there (like my now ex-girlfriend) who refuse to acknowledge how lovely Prometheus was, and how much it ruined the Alien movies retrospectively. I don't know why I paid to see Epimetheus in theaters four times just to bathe in how bad it was, but I did, and it's awful, and I don't believe anyone actually likes it.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Effectronica posted:

Yeah, whatever, cool gif+sexy lady, but anyways, it's disgusting that there are still people out there (like my now ex-girlfriend) who refuse to acknowledge how lovely Prometheus was, and how much it ruined the Alien movies retrospectively. I don't know why I paid to see Epimetheus in theaters four times just to bathe in how bad it was, but I did, and it's awful, and I don't believe anyone actually likes it.

it's true i've been lying this whole time saying that i liked it. i just feel like if i say i like it people will like me more

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Effectronica posted:

are you being sarcastic / ironic right now??

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The only Prometheus that matters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdJip8HTyfE

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
movie was bad, rapace should be playing wonder woman instead of gal godot

idk what else there is to say

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED
The cinematography was good, some set pieces were decent, and fassbender was pretty good in it.

But then the plot, character behavior and writing were abysmal.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Depressing Drawers posted:

The cinematography was good, some set pieces were decent, and fassbender was pretty good in it.

But then the plot, character behavior and writing were abysmal.

"NOOO loving IDIOT GOONS DON'T UNDERSTAND THE DEEP COMPLEXITIES OF---"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Effectronica posted:

now this is what i'm talking about, Prometheus has alot to answer for!!

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

so was charles theron a robot or what?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Agrajag posted:

good thing it wasn't an alien prequel movie

nice fig leaf bro, instant "slam-dunk" against criticism

but it is and it is massively inferior. not funny, not scary and fake deep

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

im pooping! posted:

so was charles theron a robot or what?

the secret to the aliens movies is everyone but ripley is an robot

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
i'm going to assume movie blade runner was what earth is like in the alien movie verse and ripley just slept through the robot take over and no one wanted to tell her.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Zazi posted:

No its... Its pretty bad op. Sorry.

This video pretty covers everything I thought was terrible about the movie.
http://youtu.be/JLbcZggwVCw

Future Mrs Booger
Jan 18, 2012
Hmm I fell asleep while watching Prometheus and have never seen the entire movie. What I gather from this thread is that Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection would have been completely ruined if I had stayed awake for this moving picture abomination.

Glad to know. Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection were good fun! :thumbsup:

naem
May 29, 2011

I think you guys overrate the original alien movies.

The first had a spooky vibe that made it seem intelligent but it was ultimately just a good monster movie.

Aliens was literally a micheal bay style shoot em up and was hokey as all heck, way worse than Prometheus honestly. It was also great fun.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

The part most ppl miss is that Michael fastbinder is a robot. If you keep that in mind it makes sense

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Neurolimal posted:

movie was bad, rapace should be playing wonder woman instead of gal godot

idk what else there is to say

Attention: this guy is a raging antisemite, ignore him

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

naem posted:

I think you guys overrate the original alien movies.

The first had a spooky vibe that made it seem intelligent but it was ultimately just a good monster movie.

Aliens was literally a micheal bay style shoot em up and was hokey as all heck, way worse than Prometheus honestly. It was also great fun.

you know what wasn't good or fun? prometheus. just pointing out the key difference here for your analysis

naem
May 29, 2011

Mange Mite posted:

you know what wasn't good or fun? prometheus. just pointing out the key difference here for your analysis

I thought it was both and can't wait for more??

AdvancesMONKEY
Mar 30, 2010

by Lowtax
Prometheus was a big dumb pre-2001 science fiction movie and it was awesome.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I liked the part where that dude's liver kept getting eaten.

naem
May 29, 2011

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hackbunny posted:

nice fig leaf bro, instant "slam-dunk" against criticism

but it is and it is massively inferior. not funny, not scary and fake deep

Pretty "spot-on" analysis. I walked out of the Oceanus movie and my now-ex said she liked it and when I presented my cogent reasons why it was turds on celluloid she rolled her eyes and told me I was overreacting. Well, I showed her.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Effectronica posted:

Well, I showed her.

I don't think you did

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

"prometheus retroactively ruined alien" - a retard who is clearly just pretending the AvP movies and Alien: Resurrection never happened. Prometheus was a step up, and it was good. Get over it nerds it's been two years.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
There's a lot of funny things about Prometheus hate; a lot of it has to do with dumb internet that's-not-how-my-space-voyage-to-find-god-would-go posturing. The history of human exploration is riddled with mistakes and accidents. The film goes out of its way to point out that the person responsible for hiring the personnel is the one person who rightly thinks that the trip is a Bad Idea, and absolutely none of the crew knew what mission they were being hired for. And with multiple countries recently proving that people who should know better (like nurses) are very susceptible to getting themselves exposed to infectious materials, the scenario presented in Prometheus (at least from the perspective of how the humans handled the trip) is not actually far-fetched at all.

I think another big problem with the film was that they announced that it was an Alien prequel before they even had a solid idea of what the movie was going to be. Ridley Scott's decision to cut the too-familiar "Xenomorph" out almost entirely was probably the best one he made concerning the film (his quote that he couldn't take it seriously after seeing it in a ride at Disney is very telling), but by that point everyone was already expecting an Alien. What Ridley really wanted to do was go back to the well that sprung Alien: schlocky b-movies where a bunch of scientists talk about heady themes while being killed off one by one by a lame-looking monster. In fact, Alien was critically viewed as derivative at the time. It's important to remember that the '79 Alien was an unofficial remake of 1958's It! The Terror from Beyond Space, a movie that is actually tonally far closer to Prometheus than Alien. When the filmmakers said they wanted to "go back to Alien's DNA" they were talking both chronologically as a prequel and tonally\aesthetically. You wouldn't have known this at all from the trailers, which made Prometheus look like a scary movie heavily connected to Alien.

So Prometheus is this bizarre comedy-horror movie where the cast of a 50s B-movie thinks that they're in 2001: A Space Oddysey, but they're actually in Alien. I can't really blame people for being unhappy with it, but if you can't appreciate a movie that ends with "god" dying because he got raped in the face by a tentacle monster, and the only survivors are a strong-willed idiot (who's conflated her memories of her dad with her belief in god) who keeps herself sane by pretending the Christian god exists and a sociopathic robot who doesn't care because he has first-hand experience that his god didn't give a poo poo about him, you're probably gayer than I am.

MajorB fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 18, 2014

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i dont know if you edited that or someone else, but the directors cut sucks, your original ending was better

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The gay robot helps Noomi get over her daddy issues by transforming her douchey atheist boyfriend into an ebola ghost.

The ebola ghost gets shot fifty times, lit on fire, & run over by a space truck.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
People keep offering defenses of the Tethys movie that ignore that the plot is an inferior kind of plot, and the characters don't act like real fake people. These are the main reasons why it's impossible to make a movie with aliens in it now that Cronus has been released.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked prometheus

If you have a different opinion youre a big dumb gay baby and your opinion STINKS

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
dumb human being baby nerds raging about how prometheus was SO BAD OMG was legit one of the funniest movie things in recent years

really there's not liking a movie and then there's frothing at the mouth sperging the gently caress out about how a movie was horrific in aspect, destroyed your childhood, raped your dog, and shot your mom

sorry it wasn't alien redux or whatever lol

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

MajorB posted:

There's a lot of funny things about Prometheus hate; a lot of it has to do with dumb internet that's-not-how-my-space-voyage-to-find-god-would-go posturing. The history of human exploration is riddled with mistakes and accidents. The film goes out of its way to point out that the person responsible for hiring the personnel is the one person who rightly thinks that the trip is a Bad Idea, and absolutely none of the crew knew what mission they were being hired for. And with multiple countries recently proving that people who should know better (like nurses) are very susceptible to getting themselves exposed to infectious materials, the scenario presented in Prometheus (at least from the perspective of how the humans handled the trip) is not actually far-fetched at all.

I think another big problem with the film was that they announced that it was an Alien prequel before they even had a solid idea of what the movie was going to be. Ridley Scott's decision to cut the too-familiar "Xenomorph" out almost entirely was probably the best one he made concerning the film (his quote that he couldn't take it seriously after seeing it in a ride at Disney is very telling), but by that point everyone was already expecting an Alien. What Ridley really wanted to do was go back to the well that sprung Alien: schlocky b-movies where a bunch of scientists talk about heady themes while being killed off one by one by a lame-looking monster. In fact, Alien was critically viewed as derivative at the time. It's important to remember that the '79 Alien was an unofficial remake of 1958's It! The Terror from Beyond Space, a movie that is actually tonally far closer to Prometheus than Alien. When the filmmakers said they wanted to "go back to Alien's DNA" they were talking both chronologically as a prequel and tonally\aesthetically. You wouldn't have known this at all from the trailers, which made Prometheus look like a scary movie heavily connected to Alien.

So Prometheus is this bizarre comedy-horror movie where the cast of a 50s B-movie thinks that they're in 2001: A Space Oddysey, but they're actually in Alien. I can't really blame people for being unhappy with it, but if you can't appreciate a movie that ends with "god" dying because he got raped in the face by a tentacle monster, and the only survivors are a strong-willed idiot (who's conflated her memories of her dad with her belief in god) who keeps herself sane by pretending the Christian god exists and a sociopathic robot who doesn't care because he has first-hand experience that his god didn't give a poo poo about him, you're probably gayer than I am.

I mean look at this.

look at this big gay post.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I mean look at this.

look at this big gay post.

as opposed to your tiny gay post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov