Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yes quine's position is in the end philosophy boils down to science. Great. What does that have to do with you? No self/world inquiry is possible? Accept the word of your masters? What.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Sakarja posted:

Why, yes, of course. Would you hold scientists to the same standard, or is that different somehow?

*doesnt do an experiment ever* "I don't need that 'observation' stuff, I have my pure maths and my logics."

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

Why would I ever want to do that?

Because you're treading the line between detached ironic commentary and sincere stance/analysis without committing to either one in a way that is interesting enough to read. Is this a new form of highbrow white noise? Do you like being a putz

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This topic is personally important to me and i hate seeing it treated so trivially with buffoonish posts i guess. You can't troll me dude, i'll keep responding till its not fun for you anymore if you don't mean what you say.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Narciss posted:

*doesnt do an experiment ever* "I don't need that 'observation' stuff, I have my pure maths and my logics."

Welcome, to the Libertarian Party.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tautologicus posted:

Because you're treading the line between detached ironic commentary and sincere stance/analysis without committing to either one in a way that is interesting enough to read. Is this a new form of highbrow white noise? Do you like being a putz
I would comment on the fact that you still really seem to like talking to me for some reason, but I'm not that gay.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

I would comment on the fact that you still really seem to like talking to me for some reason, but I'm not that gay.

Ok, then what would you say after that?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You're dumb. Also, you romanticize tree-monkey brain chemistry as if passion actually meant anything except the emotional fortitude to stick with your goals until you get results. I look down on that kind of self-glorification.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Say something. Take a leap. Put yourself out there. So far you've got (barely) rhetorical questions insinuating knowledge and perspective. Ive seen that since forever on these forums and it gets old and has to be called out where its seen. Its lazy and inhuman.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

You're dumb. Also, you romanticize tree-monkey brain chemistry as if passion actually meant anything except the emotional fortitude to stick with your goals until you get results. I look down on that kind of self-glorification.

From what perch do you look down on it from?

I also don't know what you mean by that. Where does one get those goals from first of all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tautologicus posted:

Say something. Take a leap. Put yourself out there. So far you've got (barely) rhetorical questions insinuating knowledge and perspective. Ive seen that since forever on these forums and it gets old and has to be called out where its seen. Its lazy and inhuman.
No.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

:twisted:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Photosyphilis
Jul 17, 2014

Science rules!

Narciss posted:

In early elementary school I came up with the theory that I was the only "real" person (i.e./e.g. a conscious individual with subjective experiences) that existed. Nowadays I know this is an extant theory called "Solipsism", but I had invented it independently of any outside philosophical influences.

Well poo poo, me too. I was in Jr High when the thought came to me. Eventually I brushed it off because I thought it would cause me to divulge into some psychosis. I never knew it was an actual philosophical idea. I learned something today.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

So why did you respond in the first place, namedropping Quine? He wasn't even relevant. I mentioned Wittgenstein because of what he has to say about existential questions. Quine never cared about existential questions. It was a non-sequitir.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The answer lies in the removal of the question. That's Wittgenstein's view on philosophical questions. The solution lies in the dissolution of the problem, which is based in misunderstandings. There is no final culmination of a philosophical problem, it was never there.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Sakarja posted:

Whenever someone denigrates Kant, I just assume that person worships either Ayn Rand or some 20th century French charlatan already forgotten by History.

lol you are the slave of your categorical imperative BITCH

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

kant was a coward who turned his back on his own conclusions because they terrified him, just like you and JUST LIKE EINSTEIN

also lol cardio bro, tautologicus is troll-proof, at first i thought in a "bad" way but i've come around to it, he's a breath of fresh air in this shithole

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Sakarja posted:

Whenever someone denigrates Kant, I just assume that person worships either Ayn Rand or some 20th century French charlatan already forgotten by History.

Nope. I actually like Kant but Nietzsche does everything he wanted to do better in a more attractive and pleasant to read style, and after all philosophy is an art and therefore ought to have aesthetically pleasing qualities one way or another.

E: also the best french philosopher already forgotten by history is Gide

les fleurs du mall fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 20, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

nomadologique posted:

also lol cardio bro, tautologicus is troll-proof, at first i thought in a "bad" way but i've come around to it, he's a breath of fresh air in this shithole
I'll remind you of that statement at some point.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Quickscope420dad posted:

Nope. I actually like Kant but Nietzsche does everything he wanted to do better in a more attractive and pleasant to read style, and after all philosophy is an art and therefore ought to have aesthetically pleasing qualities one way or another.

Counterpoint: Nietzsche was super loving creepy-weird about dancing. I'm at least 65% sure he constantly jacked it to ballerinas or some poo poo.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Who What Now posted:

Counterpoint: Nietzsche was super loving creepy-weird about dancing. I'm at least 65% sure he constantly jacked it to ballerinas or some poo poo.

Nietzsche was loving creepy weird about a lot of stuff

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

redpilled by nietzsche

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

i have a very short memory so this will be a big favor

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Have you seen how tight those little skin suits of theirs are? Who wouldn't?

nomadologique posted:

i have a very short memory so this will be a big favor
Always glad to be of service.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

You take it upon yourself to try to get peoples goat for cheap laughs or to keep some vacuous feeling of intellectual superiority ("i look down on..") ..you have nothing to get their goat with dude. You have nothing to say only to (almost) imply.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with your preoccupation with goats. Not that I'd (almost) imply anything.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That's the true void..the void of refusal to stand for anything at all. To assail from an unassailable position that has nothing to offer because it is never articulated. In philosophy and in life. "I have it, but i don't want to say (or think about) what it is". Nietszche was the total antithesis of such a person, and Wittgenstein had something to say about them too in his own way.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
no the true void is the comedy gaschamber

this is obvious

"stare too long into the comedy gaschamber and you end up posting there"

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet
I bought a 1 dollar lotto ticket and lost.

-1 to all stats and -5 to luck stats

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Tautologicus posted:

That's the true void..the void of refusal to stand for anything at all. To assail from an unassailable position that has nothing to offer because it is never articulated. In philosophy and in life. "I have it, but i don't want to say (or think about) what it is". Nietszche was the total antithesis of such a person, and Wittgenstein had something to say about them too in his own way.
Hail Sithis. Also, has anybody ever told you how unbearably pompous you are? That was the most pretentious attempt at sounding profound I've seen in ages.

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet
After it rains, I save all the dumb worms stuck in my driveway cause my driveway is large, so I pick them up and put them in a place to continue making GBS threads. I once saved 4 worms.

Also, Raising baby sparros aroud here is common. You go outside, and theres a bird on the ground.

"get the shoe box and heat lamp ready"

I mess with mother nature all the loving time.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with your preoccupation with goats. Not that I'd (almost) imply anything.

Say a word once and it's a preoccupation? Or would you rather talk about loving animals in this thread, i can't tell. Was you who introduced the sexual connotation.

Cardiovorax posted:

Hail Sithis. Also, has anybody ever told you how unbearably pompous you are? That was the most pretentious attempt at sounding profound I've seen in ages.

I can add fart sounds if you want? What was profound about that? It's just true. Criticize and you've got to offer something in place of it. Otherwise you're more rabble saying "nuh uh"

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Or show contradiction or hypocrisy is another option for those without anything else to offer.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

im gay

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Tautologicus posted:

Or show contradiction or hypocrisy is another option for those without anything else to offer.

I have only ever seen you serious post in this comedy forum

*ends sentence with full stop to add shallow impact*

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Quickscope420dad posted:

no the true void is the comedy gaschamber

this is obvious

"stare too long into the comedy gaschamber and you end up posting there"

This is an omen

orangesampson
Nov 22, 2012

by Ion Helmet
Garden snails eat my plants, I want to kill them, but I won't. Thats the story

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

u could probably discourage them with garlic or something? i dunno about all this poo poo

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Tautologicus posted:

This is an omen

I agree; this thread is not good and ought to be gassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Quickscope420dad posted:

I have only ever seen you serious post in this comedy forum

*ends sentence with full stop to add shallow impact*

I shitpost on reddit too, same name. I dont get it

• Locked thread