Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
actually even in true nihilism stuff matters, it's just devoid of its own inherent meaning but that's okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Cool film if you are interested in things like the tibetan book of the dead and also powerful drugs

cool film if you like cinematography and art house concepts

awful film if you loving detest all of the above

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Funkstar Deluxe posted:

the love hotel scene towards the end of the movie didn't have to be like 10-15 minutes long but im glad it was

i dunno i think the duration of the scene really helped to build the cringing awkwardness factor that they weren't going for at all

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Action Yak Police posted:

I asked my philosophy professor what the difference was between atheists and nihilists and after a pause he said that atheists still believe in the power of love or some gay poo poo so I guess I'm a nihilist.

i hope all of this is a joke cause otherwise you had one incredibly poo poo philosophy prof

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

just so you know narciss basically everyone did that

I didn't do that until after i learnt about solipsism

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I am happy that nothing matters and the void is my friend.

Um i think you're thinking of the fridge

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

nomadologique posted:

lol wait wut nietzsche is pretty much the frodo of philosophy, fucker carried the ring of nihilism all the way to mount doom and it destroyed him

e: HAVE SOME RESPECT

dude hated nihilism, or at least being called a nihilist. He was all about the reevaluation of taken-for-granted values and prejudices, and found meaning and purpose in the human analog to drama and the participation in social interaction (even though he loving sucked at it).

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

nomadologique posted:

yeah but you shouldn't since his work is not superficially systematic and is very personal, which disqualifies it as "philosophy," also he spits whenever he says "logic" and keeps eating the cake of "truth" even though he knows it goes straight to his rear end

Actual lol at the cake bit

Yeah his work is more like a kind of odd prose rather than philosophical treatise, but its philosophical implications are probably more powerful and actually useful and applicable to real life than anything his forerunner Kant ever did so

Some people think Nietzsche is real hard to read but then you show them Kant's metaphysics and the categories and they literally poo poo their own brain out

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

nomadologique posted:

ugh i hate having to take the mask off

i was parodying cardio's POV, and i think nietzsche is more a philosopher than a cruise ship of logicians

that dude who invented solipsism in elementary school was more a philosopher than any logician

They do okay as epistemologists

Actually they are better as epistemologists than just regular epistemologists since the regular ones don't check that their logic is sound

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

nomadologique posted:

unless logic gets your dick hard your oval office wet your rear end in a top hat loose or whatever it is, it has almost no philosophical relevance

AT LEAST I.M.O.

it's good for nerdy boring party tricks which i guess gets some people's assholes loose

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Sakarja posted:

Whenever someone denigrates Kant, I just assume that person worships either Ayn Rand or some 20th century French charlatan already forgotten by History.

Nope. I actually like Kant but Nietzsche does everything he wanted to do better in a more attractive and pleasant to read style, and after all philosophy is an art and therefore ought to have aesthetically pleasing qualities one way or another.

E: also the best french philosopher already forgotten by history is Gide

les fleurs du mall fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 20, 2014

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Who What Now posted:

Counterpoint: Nietzsche was super loving creepy-weird about dancing. I'm at least 65% sure he constantly jacked it to ballerinas or some poo poo.

Nietzsche was loving creepy weird about a lot of stuff

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
no the true void is the comedy gaschamber

this is obvious

"stare too long into the comedy gaschamber and you end up posting there"

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Tautologicus posted:

Or show contradiction or hypocrisy is another option for those without anything else to offer.

I have only ever seen you serious post in this comedy forum

*ends sentence with full stop to add shallow impact*

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Tautologicus posted:

This is an omen

I agree; this thread is not good and ought to be gassed.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Fartmaster posted:

I was in a philosophy class once,
All I remember from it was the sort of apathetic way the professor would say "hmm" and "good point" in regards to the occasional debate between the only 3 passionate students in the class.

Idunno if it's just me being modest, but I don't get why people argue over such subjective stuff like philosophy.

sounds like my entire degree yeah

also had one lecturer who would always respond to real lovely questions and comments by saying "mmmmmm that's an interesting question" in this fake-sincere way because he was way too polite to be like "ehh"

People argue over all philosophy because it helps develop the ideas. It's like a jam session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

nomadologique posted:

o god no don't induct me into your loving drum circle w/o my consent

instead of dreadlocks we have opinions about white ravens

• Locked thread