Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, no kidding. WOlfhawk in particular just doesn't feel as well-designed as the rest. Krang's are good, and in some cases, address a fairly major issue I do feel sometimes with MK that turns where you just move and end in the middle of nowhere often feel a bit wasted, by introducing that mechanic where you can spend an action to flip a single use token back over, but... they're often much fiddlier and require a lot more looking up than the base ones. Especially that one that has 6 different skills and cycles round that's so bloody awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ROUND 1 START

Fat Samurai is Arythea!
Gutter Owl is Tovak!
Bubble-T is Wolfhawk!
Tekopo is Krang!
Apologies to all those who didn't get in! Like gently caress I'm running two games simultaneously, though!

Since everyone is solidly experienced with Mage Knight in general, I'm going to up the stakes. Volkaire is now running on Heroic difficulty! This means that the city you'll face is a level 16 megacity, while Volkare himself starts at level 32 - that is 4 city troops, 4 keep troops, 8 dragons and 8 orcs!

Your goal is to work through 10 countryside tiles and 4 core tiles to the final city tile, take over the city, then fend Volkare's army off. You have three days and three nights to do this. 4 unit spaces have been marked as indecisive; these units may join Volkare if he rests up.

Please pick tactics in reverse order i.e. Krang, Wolfhawk, Tovak, Arythea, Volkare.

Arythea (Fat Samurai) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Tovak (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Wolfhawk (Bubble-T) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Krang (Tekopo) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Volkare - 38 deck. 4 city, 4 keep, 8 dragons, 8 orcs.
Unit Offer | Fame/Reputation Track

Stelas fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 21, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Let's just drive that home:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Expansion Corner

So I said I'd explain the new features of the expansion as they crop up. Already, we're seeing some of them.
  • Volkare's camp is technically a core tile but doesn't count as one. It does nothing special in this scenario, just denotes his starting position.
  • Walls, as you can see on his tile, cost 1 extra move to cross. If you fight something by crossing over one of them, it is fortified - if it is a site, then it counts as doubly fortified.
  • The dragon on Volkare's Tile has a little purple symbol next to its health. That is the dreaded Arcane Immunity tag - it is functionally immune to all effects except for any type of Attack or Block. Any other card text is completely ignored. That said, its attacks are not immune, and can be stopped or messed with.
  • You'll notice the dragon and the orc also do multiple attacks. That's a thing now, but it works no differently than fighting multiple enemies.
  • In the offer, the Magic Familiars are marked with a Healing Glade symbol, meaning they can be recruited there. The exclamation mark means they can only be recruited by normal means - no Call to Glorying these guys. The mana symbol means you also have to pay a mana to recruit them, with a variety of effects based on how often you cram crystals into their mouth. If you stop at any time, they vanish. Frankly, I love crystals and think familiars suck.
  • Finally, you can't see it because his fat rear end is sitting on it, but Volkare is hiding a Refugee Camp underneath him. These are locations where you can hire any kind of troop whatsoever, but at a higher cost - +0 if village, +1 if mage tower, monastery or keep, +3 if city.

e: Finally, since the transparency on the map has again failed to translate to images - remember that you have a fourth column of tiles available to you, as shown:

Stelas fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 20, 2014

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Good luck, everyone!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Stelas posted:

Apologies to all those who didn't get in! Like gently caress I'm running two games simultaneously, though!

You're not sorry at all! :argh:

Well at least that means we're gonna see some advanced play from these expert players right? I expect Volkaire down by the end of the week :colbert:

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
A week?

I'm giving these chumps 3 days.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Well at least that means we're gonna see some advanced play from these expert players right? I expect Volkaire down by the end of the week :colbert:

Sure, advanced play, sure... Taking wounds with the red vampyre queen isn't bad, right?

Right?

Also, that monastery is going to burn on turn 1.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

That sucker might make it to turn 2 if Norowas were actually around, or because Chivalry is actually kind of good. I don't see it lasting much longer.

Also the true Arythea strat is Polarization + Dark Crystal Craft + a billion spells.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
IMHO Familiars are highly situational, but if you're rich they present an extremely interesting option in a "stop on glade before assaulting something big" turn. Since you're not using your action then anyway, a familiar be really useful. And because they are available far before creature as strong as them usually are, they can allow you to kill something far above your weight class early.

Also taat monastery may survive if players can coordinate well enough to get people on there in turns so that they can grab up those monks. Keeping those units from joining Voltaire's theatre troupe is v. important.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'd rather pick up a unit rather than a skill with Mr. V. Around, even if chivalry is kind of good.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

To be fair, yes, that is also a lot of sweet monks. Though the only one I'd personally give a poo poo about doesn't have a crystal marker on it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Demolish and Tremor are both very solid for big giant fights like, say Volkare... And I really like SHield Bash's advanced effect because of the fact that it basically means you can block the poo poo out of something, usefully.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Demolish is one of the spells that a big Volkare Battle in a 2p game for me. And Tremor is even more useful because Volkare's units aren't fortified.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Picking Great Start

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Impermanent posted:

Demolish is one of the spells that a big Volkare Battle in a 2p game for me. And Tremor is even more useful because Volkare's units aren't fortified.

Well, unless they are.

Double fortified units are hideous.

The ones I like are the never-fortified ones. Oh, hey, orc in a fortification behind a wall. What's that, you're coming out to fight me? Cool.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
...Oh, dang. I didn't actually expect to get in this game. I feel a little guilty that I'm getting to go twice here.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

...Oh, dang. I didn't actually expect to get in this game. I feel a little guilty that I'm getting to go twice here.

For what it's worth I don't really mind at all, if nothing else because everyone who signed up is experienced and with Volkare's difficulty this is definitely not a Teaching Game. If I can, I'll try to run a couple more weekend games in case inexperienced folks in the thread want to give the game a go.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

For what it's worth I don't really mind at all, if nothing else because everyone who signed up is experienced and with Volkare's difficulty this is definitely not a Teaching Game. If I can, I'll try to run a couple more weekend games in case inexperienced folks in the thread want to give the game a go.

You're an honorable penguin, Stelas.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

so you should :colbert:

I jest, I jest =) Looking forward to the thread.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
My hand is garbage for combat so.. I'll take Mana Steal with the red die and hopefully grab that advanced action nobody wants.

Alternatively I can just run straight across the map, because that's one thing Wolfhawk is actually good at.

I have a new respect for the players of the last game, it is not easy juggling all the pictures to figure out what you want to do even though I'm quite used to the Vassal interface.

Pretty high quality draw for actions and spells overall. How much are we allowed to talk about what we plan to do? When I co-op IRL we do our best to stay out of each other's way.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 21, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

Pretty high quality draw for actions and spells overall. How much are we allowed to talk about what we plan to do? When I co-op IRL we do our best to stay out of each other's way.

As much as you like as far as I'm concerned! You guys should really be trying to figure out who gets what out of the offer, where to reveal tiles, and so on.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I'll take Planning if Arythea doesn't object.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I'm either heading to the monastery to hire or sprinting SE to explore/sit on the dungeon. I can't tackle even the orcs right now!

Alternatively I think I can make it to the healing glade and hire familiars next turn. On the one hand that's less risky than landing on the dungeon and hoping I draw a bunch of range, on the other I'm not exactly well set up to keep them around. Anyone else planning to hire them? It might be worth it just to get them off that crystal space.

edit: I also need the blue die for that I guess.. not a disaster if someone uses it though.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 21, 2014

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I'd like to go beat up the Keep if no one has designs on it already.

And I'd like to call dibs on Shield Bash. Guardian Golems would be nice too. I'm angling for a Block/Melee build.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 21, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I was thinking of going for the Keep depending on my hand. I can't really do much of anything with my hand as it stands, hence why I took the tactic card I did.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, I've just checked my hand and it is made for taking out the Keep, but if you want to take it instead let me know.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

I don't have enough move or influence to go exploring or hiring right now. It's either the keep or the monastery for me off the bat, or a turn of butt-thumbing. And I'm not sure about the monastery.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Depends on Fat Samurai, I'm happy to blow past the monastery if your best play is to burn it to the ground turn 1.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

It seems I'm going first, then. I'll pick either Early Bird or Rethink, depending on whatever happens below.

Looking at my hand, I could take the keep and some wounds, but both Tekopo and GO want it. Bubble, could you change your mana die? That would give me enough influence to recruit something besides the herbalists and leave the monastery to either burn or someone else.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 21, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Sure, Stelas I choose to Mana Steal the white die instead

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks!

Ok, then Take Early Bird.

Play Swiftness and March, unpowered for move 4.
Move to monastery. Burn it to the ground and dance on the ashes.
Play Threaten, unpowered, and Improvisation, powered, discarding Determination for 7 influence.

Recruit the Green Monks for that sweet Siege attack. I must have ALL the Siege

I'm open to suggestions about that last part, BTW. It's not going to reveal anything this turn, so I should be able to backpedal is something shouts at me about how horrible idea it is. This Volkare is harder than anything I've ever played against, so...

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 21, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Siege damage out of the gate eh? Co-op is so :black101:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Savage Monks are still good, I think. I don't have any experience with level 40 Volkare so I don't know how important it is to take units off the crystals, which is the only reason to do something different.

Anyway, I draw some blue mana from the source and Tirelessly Improvise (discarding Threaten) a route south-east to the dungeon (8 move total).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Volkare takes Right Moment.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm open to suggestions about that last part, BTW.

Clearing off the units with crystals on them is very important as a general rule, but first and foremost is making sure you've got the tools to actually do stuff. Given that Arythea's got the only (iirc?) source of starting Siege in the game I'd generally pick the Savage Monks up first, yeah.

I've also never played with a Volkare this high. I'm sure it'll be ~fun~.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tovak's Turn

I didn't have time to update the images this morning, but here's the revised turn order after tactics are taken into account.

Arythea (Fat Samurai) - 0/5 hand, 11 deck, yet to draw.
Wolfhawk (Bubble-T) - 3/5 hand, 11 deck, yet to draw.
Tovak (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Krang (Tekopo) - 7 hand, 9 deck.
Volkare - 38 deck. 4 city, 4 keep, 8 dragons, 8 orcs.
Unit Offer | Fame/Reputation Track

Stelas fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 21, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Gutter Owl can you do anything else apart from the keep? I might be able to take the orcs but I'll need to take on two wounds if I do vs probably doing the keep without taking any wounds.

EDIT: Stelas I have 7 in hand btw.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fixed. Man, if most players are around this time in the morning I'll have to see what I can do regarding lunchtime updates.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Stelas posted:

Given that Arythea's got the only (iirc?) source of starting Siege in the game I'd generally pick the Savage Monks up first, yeah.

Yes, via Battle Versatility. This is my reasoning for the monks as well. Unless the unit is double fortified, 5 siege or 6 Ranged kills all of the orcs and most of the keep and mage tower defenders, and gives a good whack at everything else. It does require 2 mana to power it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

8 Siege, if you have Concentration around. (2+2 versatility, 4 monks)

Arythea: the best character. Accept no Goldyx substitutes.

• Locked thread