Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Bubble-T posted:

I might actually be able to kill a thing now!

That's the one part of this game that's always seemed funny to me, occasionally the Mage Knights are just not in a fighting mood for no particular reason. "A bunch of orcs? Are you sure we can't just run around a lot and promise them 5% of the treasure?"

I like the mental image of using Diplomacy to block with your words/how famous you are. Or if you're using Maximal Effect I like to imagine your character making the face thats on the card whenever you use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
One thing I felt was somewhat ambiguous, unless I'm reading the rules wrong, was with how Volkare explores tiles. Is he limited to the "countryside tiles have to touch a tile that touches at least 2, core tiles have to touch 2" that the players are? Or does he just plop up the next thing in the pile whenever he would move anywhere but off the side-edges?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Zombie #246 posted:

One thing I felt was somewhat ambiguous, unless I'm reading the rules wrong, was with how Volkare explores tiles. Is he limited to the "countryside tiles have to touch a tile that touches at least 2, core tiles have to touch 2" that the players are? Or does he just plop up the next thing in the pile whenever he would move anywhere but off the side-edges?

I think he just plops whatever tile is next in the stack wherever. Volkare doesn't care about rules!

I suppose you could interpret a normally not-explorable tile as being "off the map shape" and move Volkare in the closest legal direction.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah I'm gonna Rest.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Asking so I don't stall the thread in my turn.

What are your plans re:Orcs? I can take one with my remaining cards in two turns, with a bunch of wounds to my hand and to my unit. On the plus side I get Fireball, which is tailor-made for Arythea. If anyone can be more efficient I'll just dart forward to explore.

Red gotta go fast.

EDIT: Hey, look at me not seeing Tekopo's post. Question still stands.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Work tomorrow is gonna be crazy busy, so I'll CO this now. Whatever happens, Tovak isn't moving, and he's entering the shrine.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ok then.

March to the mine. Promise my troops that it's not too far so they manage the extra point of movement needed.. gently caress Promises. Use a Blue Die to power up March instead.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 22, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Yeah I'm gonna Rest.

You need to pick a normal card to discard when resting! But that can be handled off-turn.

Volkare draws a wound, and rolls Blue. The Northern Monks have been recruited to his cause!

Arythea forgot her gold mana and can just power March instead.

Wolfhawk's Turn

Arythea (Fat Samurai) - 5 hand, 0 deck.
Wolfhawk (Bubble-T) - 5 hand, 6 deck.
Tovak (Gutter Owl) - 6 hand, 5 deck.
Krang (Tekopo) - 6 hand, 3 deck.
Volkare - 36 deck. 4 city, 5 keep, 8 dragons, 8 orcs.
Unit Offer | Fame/Reputation Track

Stelas fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 22, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Discard Mana Draw

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Krang's rest has been handled and the post updated.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Stelas posted:

Arythea forgot her gold mana and can just power March instead.

Yeah. Do something like that. Use a blue mana from the source to power up march.

I'm hoarding, OK? And I have to power up Rage later on.

Rules doubt: If I assign 4 damage to the Monks after an orc attack, the other 4 go through due to brutal, right? The attack doesn't count as blocked.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Guys can you leave the red mana for me, I will be able to get one of the monks if you do.

Also what did Volkare do?

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 22, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I grab a torch and descend in to the dungeon.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm hoarding, OK? And I have to power up Rage later on.

Rules doubt: If I assign 4 damage to the Monks after an orc attack, the other 4 go through due to brutal, right? The attack doesn't count as blocked.

Yeah, basically there'll be 8 damage to assign rather than 4.

You can't hoard gold mana! Even if you could, all mana tokens vanish at the end of each turn.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Stelas posted:

You can't hoard gold mana! Even if you could, all mana tokens vanish at the end of each turn.

Guess who has been playing this wrong all along.

EDIT: Wait, the problem was with the Glade. I was thinking it gave you a crystal instead of a token, for some reason. Is there any way to crystalize black or gold with the expansion, or am I imagining things?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 22, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Guess who has been playing this wrong all along...

EDIT: Wait, the problem was with the Glade. I was thinking it gave you a crystal instead of a token, for some reason. Is there any way to crystalize black or gold with the expansion, or am I imagining things?

Black and Gold mana are too unstable to ever form crystals.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It doesn't help that there is no physical token difference between token and crystal, there's a few times where i had kept a red mana i had gotten for about 3 rounds because i thought i got a crystal somwhere along the way.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It doesn't help that there is no physical token difference between token and crystal, there's a few times where i had kept a red mana i had gotten for about 3 rounds because i thought i got a crystal somwhere along the way.

This.

I usually use unused die for tokens and the plastic mana models for crystals, so when the expansion came up with a bunch of extra mana models I went "wow, I can finally have gold crystals, somehow".

The dream was so beautiful...

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I put tokens in the play area and crystals on my character card. This doesn't always help if I have to redo a turn (since I will have some former crystals on my spells, just like my tokens). Probably the best thing would be to use the provided tokens as mana tokens, and my acrylic beads as crystals.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fat Samurai posted:

This.

I usually use unused die for tokens and the plastic mana models for crystals, so when the expansion came up with a bunch of extra mana models I went "wow, I can finally have gold crystals, somehow".

The dream was so beautiful...

But the original game came with gold and black crystal pieces?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

But the original game came with gold and black crystal pieces?

Only one of each, I think, and now I have 4. Why would they give me so many if they didn't intend for me to keep them and hoard them and treasure them forever? Vlaada! :argh:

I have poor reading comprehension and end up winging half the rules instead of bothering to check them in the three manuals that come with the game, ok?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Hrm, I must have been miremembering, it looks like the original box only ships with 3 gold and 3 black. Huh.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not doing so hot tonight, don't expect many updates. (For once.)

Wolfhawk pops into the dungeon and encounters a Werewolf. By CO, she plays Mana Draw with her stolen die, turns a black die white, and kills it with a Swiftness and a Swift Reflexes.
Wolfhawk levels and gains a skill and an advanced action.

Wolfhawk draws:
Refreshing Breeze: Once a round, flip to get a white crystal and Heal 1.
Taunt: Once a turn, during the Block phase, reduce an enemy's attack by 1, or increase an enemy's attack by 2 and reduce its armor by 2.

Wolfhawk's reward die comes up blue. She has two artifacts to choose (ha ha ha) from on her play area.

Tovak's Turn

By CO, Tovak pokes his head into the ruins. Orcs are on the map, below Tovak's space.

Wolfhawk (Bubble-T) - 2 hand, 6 deck, yet to draw, skill choice, advanced action choice, artifact choice.
Tovak (Gutter Owl) - 6 hand, 5 deck.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 22, 2014

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Anybody but the goddamn stonethrowers.

No ranged attacks.

Block phase. Play Cold Toughness for Ice Block 3. Block the Witches.

Take four wounds from the stonethrower.

Use a white mana, play Swiftness (powered) for Ranged Attack 3. Play Rage for Attack 2 (5 total). Kill the Witches. Play Instinct For Attack 2. Play Stamina (sideways) and Promise (sideways) for Attack 1 each (4 total). Kill the Stonethrowers.

End turn, take prize and level.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I can take Curse from the common skill pool along with Fire Bolt, right? If not, give me Refreshing Breeze

Wolfhawk has no use for trinkets, takes the Horn of Wrath.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 23, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The game really does have it in for you guys thus far.

I forgot to Expansion Corner: That rock on the stonethrowers indicates that their attack is Cumbersome, allowing the use of Move as Block.

Bubble-T posted:

I can take Curse from the common skill pool along with Fire Bolt, right? If not, give me Refreshing Breeze

Yup, you can.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Krang's Turn

Tovak levels after taking four wounds to hand. He also picks up four crystals from the ruins.

Tovak flips:
Mana Overload: Cooperative Skill. Once a round, choose a colour other than gold and gain a mana token of that colour. Place this token in the middle. The first player who uses mana of that colour to power a card that gives Move, Influence, Attack or Block gains +4 to that card and returns the skill to you, face down.
Determination: Once a round, draw two cards. If you are last in Fame, gain a blue mana.

Wolfhawk (Bubble-T) - 5 hand, 5 deck.
Tovak (Gutter Owl) - 4/5 hand, 5 deck, yet to draw, skill choice, action choice.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

]I forgot to Expansion Corner: That rock on the stonethrowers indicates that their attack is Cumbersome, allowing the use of Move as Block.

They sure do. Still takes 4 physical attack to kill the bastards, and a single card spared for movement equals a not-dead stonethrower.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 23, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Expansion Corner
  • Cooperative skills are very, very powerful, on the whole - not just for you, but for someone else. Sadly, the secondary effect must be used on a different player, so Tovak can't immediately turn around and power one of his own cards for +4 - but a free mana of any kind can often be a lifesaver. Arythea gets one that Heals 2, Wolfhawk gives one that lets her play a card sideways for +4 to +9(!), Krang gets a crystal of his choice. They're all pretty great.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Woof. Really torn. Not between Mana Overload and Determination, because gently caress Determination. But Healing Breeze looks real nice right now.

Eh, I'll suck it up for the cause. Mana Overload and Shield Bash

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Ugh, and I just realized how impossibly stupid that turn was, and it's too late to take it back because of new info.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alright then, crack a blue crystal to play Stamina (powered), head for the Monastery, then use a red mana dice to play Ruthless Coercion (powered) for 6 influence, use March (sideways) for 7 influence and get the the Red Monks from the unit offer. My turn is done.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Stelas posted:

The game really does have it in for you guys thus far.

I forgot to Expansion Corner: That rock on the stonethrowers indicates that their attack is Cumbersome, allowing the use of Move as Block.

Yup, you can.

Sweet. Truly playing to Wolfhawk's strengths here, taking another Knight's skill that I think is just better than her own. I wonder if there's some trick to taunt I don't know about (other than loading your deck with way too much block).

Stelas posted:

To be completely accurate you can pay 1 move to reduce the attack by 1 - important if you have resistant units or to reduce wounds taken if you can't completely block the attack. Also with the new rules you can't use "left over" movement from the move phase, IIRC (but effects like the "1 bonus move per card" from Tirelessness still apply).

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Stelas posted:

Tovak (Gutter Owl) - 4/5 hand, 5 deck, yet to draw, skill choice, action choice.

Just want to make sure: I'll be drawing to 6 with planning, thanks to the many, many wound cards in my hand letting me meet the requirements, yes?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Just want to make sure: I'll be drawing to 6 with planning, thanks to the many, many wound cards in my hand letting me meet the requirements, yes?

Er, yeah. And yeah, that's a bit far to take back, unfortunately.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

How does Shock Troops third ability interact with Brutal? If I use that and curse in the Block phase, will the Orcs be left with 2 x 0 = 0 damage when it comes to assigning damage?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I believe all attack lowering stuff happens before Brutal takes effect. I'll double-check.

Volkare draws a Wound and rolls blue. Nothing happens!

Arythea's Turn

Wolfhawk (Bubble-T) - 5 hand, 5 deck.
Tovak (Gutter Owl) - 6 hand, 4 deck.
Krang (Tekopo) - 5 hand, 1 deck.
Volkare - 35 deck. 4 city, 5 keep, 8 dragons, 8 orcs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Play Stamina to move to the plains next to the orks. Provoke them and assign 1 wound to the monks, 2 to my hand.

Power up Rage and play Promise and Mana Draw sideways to kill the orks.

Level up. I can't see dropbox from work, what do we have on the Skill offer?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Play Firebolt, Horn of Wrath, Promise sideways and move on to the refugee camp. Challenge the orcs. Power Determination for 5 block, then Curse the orcs and power Rage with a red crystal for 4 damage.

edit: don't do that, it's a terrible idea. Play Firebolt, Rage, Promise sideways to move on to the refugee camp. End turn.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Level up. I can't see dropbox from work, what do we have on the Skill offer?

I can't draw your personal skills right now, but Swift Bolt / Heroic Tale / Intimidate. I might have to see what I can do regarding getting lunchtime updates sorted - seems like it'd be a perfect idea for this group and the timezone matchups.

Bubble-T posted:

Horn of Wrath sideways

I think I just heard Gutter Owl wail at the sky.

• Locked thread