Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Stelas posted:

[*]Recruitment will be open for 24 hoursish, whereupon selection will be by random draw. I have it on good authority that if I close it early I may get lynched.

Yes. Yes you would.

Arythea and Goldyx. I own the expansion, played 5-6 games to the end, started plenty more solo, restarting as soon as something didn't go my way because I'm a big baby.

Gutter Owl posted:

So that's ten signups. Clearly, you should do two five player games.

Isn't the maximun 4 players, Krang or no Krang?

Clearly the answer is three 4 player games.

EDIT: Grammar :cripes:

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

Lost Legion rulebook, page 12, second header: "More Players."

This is less me missing that and more giving up on having more than 3 players willing to play Epic D&D: The Boardgame. :(

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Well at least that means we're gonna see some advanced play from these expert players right? I expect Volkaire down by the end of the week :colbert:

Sure, advanced play, sure... Taking wounds with the red vampyre queen isn't bad, right?

Right?

Also, that monastery is going to burn on turn 1.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'd rather pick up a unit rather than a skill with Mr. V. Around, even if chivalry is kind of good.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

It seems I'm going first, then. I'll pick either Early Bird or Rethink, depending on whatever happens below.

Looking at my hand, I could take the keep and some wounds, but both Tekopo and GO want it. Bubble, could you change your mana die? That would give me enough influence to recruit something besides the herbalists and leave the monastery to either burn or someone else.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 21, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks!

Ok, then Take Early Bird.

Play Swiftness and March, unpowered for move 4.
Move to monastery. Burn it to the ground and dance on the ashes.
Play Threaten, unpowered, and Improvisation, powered, discarding Determination for 7 influence.

Recruit the Green Monks for that sweet Siege attack. I must have ALL the Siege

I'm open to suggestions about that last part, BTW. It's not going to reveal anything this turn, so I should be able to backpedal is something shouts at me about how horrible idea it is. This Volkare is harder than anything I've ever played against, so...

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 21, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Stelas posted:

Given that Arythea's got the only (iirc?) source of starting Siege in the game I'd generally pick the Savage Monks up first, yeah.

Yes, via Battle Versatility. This is my reasoning for the monks as well. Unless the unit is double fortified, 5 siege or 6 Ranged kills all of the orcs and most of the keep and mage tower defenders, and gives a good whack at everything else. It does require 2 mana to power it, though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

EDIT: Although I'll only draw one and will have to play lots of cards sideways if I do decide to try to hire the monks.
Start pillaging villages :getin:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry :ohdear:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm assuming Tovak wants access to the monastery. Also I can't see how to make something productive against monastery defenders without getting very, very hurt.

Use a Green Mana from the Source to Power Concentrate hard on Marching with Swiftness to the glade. Piss off the orcs there as I walk by, singing very loud and very off-key about their ancestry. Facetank both wounds
Use my Monks, paired with my Battle Versatility to crush the pitiful wretches that won't give me enough XP to Level Up. Jerks.
Finally, take advantage of the Tranquility of the Glade to heal both wounds. Gain a Yellow Mana next turn, too.

I wanted that Fireball. Maybe I can kill anything with Cristalize, Mana Draw, Rage and some movement, but it will be hard.

EDIT: Also, I told you that picking up the uncontested monks wouldn't bite us in the rear end. Better lucky than good. :smug:

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 21, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I had 6 ranged on hand (concentrate swiftness plus battle versatility), which was enough to take down about 70% of the purple stuff without breaking a sweat. Problem is that the other 30% would have meant 3+ wounds.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Asking so I don't stall the thread in my turn.

What are your plans re:Orcs? I can take one with my remaining cards in two turns, with a bunch of wounds to my hand and to my unit. On the plus side I get Fireball, which is tailor-made for Arythea. If anyone can be more efficient I'll just dart forward to explore.

Red gotta go fast.

EDIT: Hey, look at me not seeing Tekopo's post. Question still stands.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ok then.

March to the mine. Promise my troops that it's not too far so they manage the extra point of movement needed.. gently caress Promises. Use a Blue Die to power up March instead.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 22, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Stelas posted:

Arythea forgot her gold mana and can just power March instead.

Yeah. Do something like that. Use a blue mana from the source to power up march.

I'm hoarding, OK? And I have to power up Rage later on.

Rules doubt: If I assign 4 damage to the Monks after an orc attack, the other 4 go through due to brutal, right? The attack doesn't count as blocked.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Stelas posted:

You can't hoard gold mana! Even if you could, all mana tokens vanish at the end of each turn.

Guess who has been playing this wrong all along.

EDIT: Wait, the problem was with the Glade. I was thinking it gave you a crystal instead of a token, for some reason. Is there any way to crystalize black or gold with the expansion, or am I imagining things?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 22, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It doesn't help that there is no physical token difference between token and crystal, there's a few times where i had kept a red mana i had gotten for about 3 rounds because i thought i got a crystal somwhere along the way.

This.

I usually use unused die for tokens and the plastic mana models for crystals, so when the expansion came up with a bunch of extra mana models I went "wow, I can finally have gold crystals, somehow".

The dream was so beautiful...

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

But the original game came with gold and black crystal pieces?

Only one of each, I think, and now I have 4. Why would they give me so many if they didn't intend for me to keep them and hoard them and treasure them forever? Vlaada! :argh:

I have poor reading comprehension and end up winging half the rules instead of bothering to check them in the three manuals that come with the game, ok?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Play Stamina to move to the plains next to the orks. Provoke them and assign 1 wound to the monks, 2 to my hand.

Power up Rage and play Promise and Mana Draw sideways to kill the orks.

Level up. I can't see dropbox from work, what do we have on the Skill offer?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Stelas posted:

I can't draw your personal skills right now, but Swift Bolt / Heroic Tale / Intimidate. I might have to see what I can do regarding getting lunchtime updates sorted - seems like it'd be a perfect idea for this group and the timezone matchups.

I don't like intimidate and Heroic Tale doesn't really fit... Swift Bolt, I guess. More Ranged and a crystal next turn is always good.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I was afraid of taking three wounds total while in the monastery. :stare:

Honestly, the most difficult part of this game for me is knowing when to take wounds.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of which, this has been useful. It's a pic of all the enemy tokens in the base game and the expansion on BGG.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Also in co-op I don't think wounds are quite as crippling because: you can slow-play your hands rather than having to rush to keep up and you don't need to worry about them tanking your score. It should be possible for me to heal most of them out (if I get three wounds, that is).

I'm used to either single player or competitive, so anything that slows me down is to be avoided like plague.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Polarization, obviously. I love this skill.

Play swift bolt for the crystal and powered crystallize for a Red Crystal. Keep awesome hand of two wounds. Declare end of round next turn.

Edit: unless someone wants more turns, then I can play one card one turn, then the other. I don't see anyone having three more turns, though.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 23, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

Just...just checking. You're not declaring end of round now, you're just COing it. Yes? Cuz I need this turn and next turn to heal up and get those golems.

Yeah, I play stuff now, declare end of round NEXT turn (because I have to, I don't have any more cards in my deck), which gives everyone another turn, so two turns for everyone.

We could play it safe and have three turns, but that gives Volk an extra draw.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

rchandra posted:

This doesn't seem right. If you have cards in hand, you can spend turns discarding them (since you said they were all wounds, that would even be one at a time as Slow Recovery).

Not that it looks like people want _that_ many turns, but sometimes that sort of thing is nice in solo on crystal mines.

Hmmm.. true. I've never considered wounds other than dead weight (usually don't play Torvak or Arythea), and don't play co-op, so a hand full of wounds equals declaring end of round. You learn something new every day!

OTOH, no one has requested a third turn, so I think we're good there. With Volkare running through his deck and recruiting units, I'd rather not give away more turns than needed.

Bubble-T posted:

Stelas are you sure you shuffled Monsieur Voltaire's deck after adding all the wounds? This is the laziest I've seen him.

I'd hate to play against lazy Volkare. You'd probably run out of cards before he gets close to the city.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I don't have any problem with giving another turn if you cold get some use out of it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Hiding in the bathroom from my scary, newly met, hopefully future in laws. Will post as soon as I get 5 minutes to grok the board. Send good boardgame apps to play while I hide.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

It's a coded message.

Fat Samurai wants Long Night!
This, but unironicaly.

Sorry for the delay, guys.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Good weekend straight into two days of crunch time and constant travel at work. Everything should be much quieter for the foreseeable future.

Play a powered stamina to march northwest and reveal the tile to the northeast of that position.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Great terrain. Moving to the plains has been a mistake, I was hoping for something more open.

Play Swiftness and sideways threaten to move to the hills next to me. End turn.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Rest and discard the wound

Never mind, I'm dumb and sleepy.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 30, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

You have to discard at least one non-wound card, too.

Oh, yeah, sorry. Early morning.

Ok, let's redo this:

Play Swiftness and Determination sideways to move into the mine. Then play a Crystalize with a green mana.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Play a powered stamina and a sideways mana bolt to march into the forest lade. Use a white mana from the source for this. Throw away a wound.

Provoke the Catapult, playing 2 powered stamina (one with a white Mana from the Source, that I turn into a green one via Polarization, another one from my reserve) to dodge the big rock.

Then use my Ballista Powered Swift Bolt and show them how you do siege weapons.

EDIT: Goddamit I'm bad at this game. I was obsessed with healing my monks to Siege the catapult, and when the cards didn't come my way I decided to throw my turn away before realising I could kill it.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 31, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Phone posting, sorry. This shouldn't be here.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 31, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Heal my wounds with a powered up Tranquility (use a white Mana from the source, we have too many there) and then move to the monastery by powering up improvisation and discarding Mana Pull for 5 movement.

I could heal the monks, but I don't see them helping with what's going to happen next. :getin:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

Hire Illusionists (3 influence remaining).
:argh:

Could I convince you to leave those Illusionists to me? I cannot get any other unit from the monastery, and removing an attack would fit with not having any block whatsoever in my deck.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sorry I must have missed or forgot it that you called dibs on them. Probably three turns ago they weren't even in my plans, I've kinda drifted to the monastery.

Carry on, no worries.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Well, I can do basically the same by playing Promise and a sideways Stamina for 3 influence, +1 from the reputation track (why the hell do I have positive reputation). Heal my monks.

Put three cards from my discard back to my deck, because of Tactics.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Get Invocation, because making COs isn't difficult enough with just Polarization.

The game insist on me being able to recruit stuff with Gold and Influence skills, but gently caress it. I'm not Norowas and the people I can recruit in Villages are cheap anyway. What I need is a Mage Tower, dammit.

Pick up the Shield of the Fallen Rings and Counterattack, because they combo too well even if I lack block and I'm likely to have them on my hand only once (next turn).

Edit: I've just seen your post, GO. Problem with that is that I have the exact cards needs to blast them in my next turn. The other option is to wait one hex to the left of where you want to go to provoke the orcs, but discarding a card to wait while you heal means I don't have enough movement the following turn to move anywhere, so that's three cards wasted, including an artifact and an advanced action.

On the other hand, you can move an explore East with the cards you've posted, and maybe pop up some other enemies in the discovered tile.

I gues I could move to your proposed location and play cards sideways to explore East, and leave the orcs for you next round, too.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

The only thing I can do with my hand next turn is get a crystal. Can I call end of round or do people want to do 2 more actions rather than one more?

I only need one.

Fat Samurai posted:

Edit: I've just seen your post, GO. Problem with that is that I have the exact cards needs to blast them in my next turn. The other option is to wait one hex to the left of where you want to go to provoke the orcs, but discarding a card to wait while you heal means I don't have enough movement the following turn to move anywhere, so that's three cards wasted, including an artifact and an advanced action.

On the other hand, you can move an explore East with the cards you've posted, and maybe pop up some other enemies in the discovered tile.

I guess I could move to your proposed location and play cards sideways to explore East, and leave the orcs for you next round, too.

Quoting this in case GO didn't see my edit.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 4, 2014

• Locked thread