Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I am of course interested. First choice is Wolfhawk, second choice Goldyx. Experience level: 10+ games of base Mage Knight, 2 games of Lost Legion.

If you don't pick me I'll just be here sniping any rules mistakes like last thread :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

My hand is garbage for combat so.. I'll take Mana Steal with the red die and hopefully grab that advanced action nobody wants.

Alternatively I can just run straight across the map, because that's one thing Wolfhawk is actually good at.

I have a new respect for the players of the last game, it is not easy juggling all the pictures to figure out what you want to do even though I'm quite used to the Vassal interface.

Pretty high quality draw for actions and spells overall. How much are we allowed to talk about what we plan to do? When I co-op IRL we do our best to stay out of each other's way.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 21, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I'm either heading to the monastery to hire or sprinting SE to explore/sit on the dungeon. I can't tackle even the orcs right now!

Alternatively I think I can make it to the healing glade and hire familiars next turn. On the one hand that's less risky than landing on the dungeon and hoping I draw a bunch of range, on the other I'm not exactly well set up to keep them around. Anyone else planning to hire them? It might be worth it just to get them off that crystal space.

edit: I also need the blue die for that I guess.. not a disaster if someone uses it though.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 21, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Depends on Fat Samurai, I'm happy to blow past the monastery if your best play is to burn it to the ground turn 1.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Sure, Stelas I choose to Mana Steal the white die instead

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Savage Monks are still good, I think. I don't have any experience with level 40 Volkare so I don't know how important it is to take units off the crystals, which is the only reason to do something different.

Anyway, I draw some blue mana from the source and Tirelessly Improvise (discarding Threaten) a route south-east to the dungeon (8 move total).

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Jesus christ that mana pool.

I March on in to the unknown, exploring the tile to the East.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Crystalise some red mana from the source and end my turn, discarding Promise (please give me something useful now!)

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I might actually be able to kill a thing now!

That's the one part of this game that's always seemed funny to me, occasionally the Mage Knights are just not in a fighting mood for no particular reason. "A bunch of orcs? Are you sure we can't just run around a lot and promise them 5% of the treasure?"

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

At least he has at most 1 dragon summoner in his army. gently caress those things.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Zombie #246 posted:

One thing I felt was somewhat ambiguous, unless I'm reading the rules wrong, was with how Volkare explores tiles. Is he limited to the "countryside tiles have to touch a tile that touches at least 2, core tiles have to touch 2" that the players are? Or does he just plop up the next thing in the pile whenever he would move anywhere but off the side-edges?

I think he just plops whatever tile is next in the stack wherever. Volkare doesn't care about rules!

I suppose you could interpret a normally not-explorable tile as being "off the map shape" and move Volkare in the closest legal direction.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I grab a torch and descend in to the dungeon.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Guess who has been playing this wrong all along...

EDIT: Wait, the problem was with the Glade. I was thinking it gave you a crystal instead of a token, for some reason. Is there any way to crystalize black or gold with the expansion, or am I imagining things?

Black and Gold mana are too unstable to ever form crystals.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I can take Curse from the common skill pool along with Fire Bolt, right? If not, give me Refreshing Breeze

Wolfhawk has no use for trinkets, takes the Horn of Wrath.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 23, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Stelas posted:

The game really does have it in for you guys thus far.

I forgot to Expansion Corner: That rock on the stonethrowers indicates that their attack is Cumbersome, allowing the use of Move as Block.

Yup, you can.

Sweet. Truly playing to Wolfhawk's strengths here, taking another Knight's skill that I think is just better than her own. I wonder if there's some trick to taunt I don't know about (other than loading your deck with way too much block).

Stelas posted:

I forgot to Expansion Corner: That rock on the stonethrowers indicates that their attack is Cumbersome, allowing the use of Move as Block.

To be completely accurate you can pay 1 move to reduce the attack by 1 - important if you have resistant units or to reduce wounds taken if you can't completely block the attack. Also with the new rules you can't use "left over" movement from the move phase, IIRC (but effects like the "1 bonus move per card" from Tirelessness still apply).

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

How does Shock Troops third ability interact with Brutal? If I use that and curse in the Block phase, will the Orcs be left with 2 x 0 = 0 damage when it comes to assigning damage?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Play Firebolt, Horn of Wrath, Promise sideways and move on to the refugee camp. Challenge the orcs. Power Determination for 5 block, then Curse the orcs and power Rage with a red crystal for 4 damage.

edit: don't do that, it's a terrible idea. Play Firebolt, Rage, Promise sideways to move on to the refugee camp. End turn.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 23, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Stelas posted:

I think I just heard Gutter Owl wail at the sky.

I'm in an unfortunate spot where I have to get really lucky for it to do anything today! I have kept it now though.

Also gently caress walls.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 23, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

The new purple enemies in Lost Legion are pretty rough, no doubt to make Monasteries a little less appealing as loot pinatas.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Stelas posted:

One of the interesting things about Volkare when he's on Fair speed is that you often do have to kind of... wait for him to catch up.

That happened to me in solo, almost lost due to being at the end of my deck and still waiting for him to get close enough to attack. Every turn you have to get rid of at least one card and I nearly didn't have enough damage left when he arrived.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I can't believe I forgot that Fire Bolt does fire damage. I always do that :bang:

Luckily I don't think it makes much difference. Wolfhawk uses the last of her Stamina to move to the maze. The orcs take issue with this, Determination powered by the blue mana die blocks their attack, a curse weakens their armour and Rage powered by a red crystal finishes them off.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I could go for either a spell or artifact on my last turn, how do you all value them? Being able to pick a spell is nice, but I don't like them as much when I have poor crystal generation. On the other hand that Tremor looks really tasty..

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Stelas are you sure you shuffled Monsieur Voltaire's deck after adding all the wounds? This is the laziest I've seen him.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Power March from the source and head down the 4-move path of the Maze. Desperately hoping I don't encounter a shadow.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 24, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Phew.

I Curse the Hydra, weakening it's defenses, then blow my Horn of Wrath in it's general direction for 5 siege damage. I learn Tremor and end my turn.

Next turn play my remaining cards sideways for 3 move to hop across the walls and end on the plains.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Stelas posted:

End of Round has currently been called!

Oh whoops I missed that. Might have gone for an artifact instead, no matter.

I'm ok with another turn if Tekopo wants it though, obviously. I don't have a good handle on the correct pace to set in Volkare's Return yet.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Tekopo posted:

I'm not desperate for a turn, but it would be useful. We'll wait until the other two have their say.

I just want to get a headstart on moving out of my dead-end corner. Stupid walls. Your additional turn is a lot stronger than mine I think!

How about if Gutter Owl and Fat Samurai both want to end right now, we do that. Otherwise let's take another turn.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

By the way Stelas did you roll a die for my Horn of Greed use? I sometimes forget that the basic activation can give you a wound.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

That's our Volkare :allears:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Stelas posted:

Curse is kinda rear end, but then so are most of Wolfhawk's skills.

Ain't that the truth. As long as I don't have to pick between Know Your Prey and Call of the Pack at the same time I'll be happy.

Perhaps refreshing breeze would have been better but I do like to mix and match when I can still get the action card I want. That "no fortified enemies in siege/ranged" restriction on Curse is just killer though :(

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I think I'm ok with just about any tactic, I'll be moving to the monastery and buying something before I burn it down.

Stelas posted:

This is kiiiind of my feeling, but then that's just my playstyle: generally, I tend to prioritize crystals where I can. Crystals with heal attached are even better.

Also, lest we forget, Wolfhawk has a single skill that gives her a potential 9 Move / 9 Attack / 9 Block. Basically, everything is redeemed instantly if you can draw her co-op skill.

I don't tend to take that many wounds so I probably undervalue the heal effect.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Yeah I'm probably hiring a pair of units asap this night because Wolfhawk's gimmick isn't really "have no units". I like playing her though, she's got a bit more mobility than other characters and the little bits of healing and combat bonuses she gets emphasise the situational "solve a puzzle" aspects of the game every turn.

Hawk Eyes just straight up sucks though, I have no idea why the night restriction is on it for starters.

edit: Also :lol: at buying no units but only taking one of her skills that cares about them. Duelling can actually be a nice skill if you get it first but it scales SO badly through the game, so I'm guessing you either drew it later on or in conjunction with one of her good skills.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 25, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Hiding in the bathroom from my scary, newly met, hopefully future in laws. Will post as soon as I get 5 minutes to grok the board. Send good boardgame apps to play while I hide.

It's a coded message.

Fat Samurai wants Long Night!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

I'm beginning to think this actually happened.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Preparation searching for Horn of Wrath please.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Stelas posted:

Hmm, thanks. That... fame track is actually missing Wolfhawk's final kill, too, though it's all correct within the module. I guess the scripts didn't pick it up somewhere in the mess of stuff at the turn change; should be updated in a sec.

Looks correct to me, 14 fame which is what I should have.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

When it gets to my turn I'm Marching (powered by green) on to the monastery and exploring with Stamina.

edit: Tekopo is doing my job for me, what a nice person. Will re-evaluate based on his turn.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 29, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Oh god, this terrain is awful.

Play March and Stamina, move on to the monastery. Threaten the Illusionists (power with red die, play Rage and Tirelessness sideways for 7 influence) and then use their ability to hire some Scouts for 4 influence.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Rest and discard the wound

You have to discard at least one non-wound card, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Wolfhawk: As soon as Tovak is done I'll be burning the monastery down to protest their low-quality selection of advanced actions.

• Locked thread