Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Important PSA: There's no such thing as a "good" darealkooky post

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

snake rattle and roll has been goty since its release in 1990

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

Important PSA: There's no such thing as a "good" darealkooky post

There have been 31451 posts made by Endorph, an average of 16.42 posts per day,

with that many attempts at least one has to be a winner.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

There have been 31451 posts made by Endorph, an average of 16.42 posts per day,

with that many attempts at least one has to be a winner.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the posts of one's youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; They will not be ashamed When they speak with their enemies in the zone.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This is provably untrue because the general gameplay styles and mechqnics of videogames change and that might not be taken into account when you play a game from a different time and don't hold it up to others for context, as the general gameplay tastes of the public change, making it not good currently but, "good for its time." Like, Sergio Leone movies would be hated in the theaters right now but they were amazing back in the day and can still be appreciated, same with like, Halo and Half Life

Tl;dr: thw Op is a fakeazz gamer.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
donkey kong country looks like poo poo now

when it came out, reviewers hailed its "amazing" "revolutionary" graphics

contrast: yoshi's island still looks incredible

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
also goldeneye

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
try playing goldeneye now

edit: see some dude agreed with me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some screens of ff7 are downright incomprehensible without the arrow guide thing

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

This is provably untrue because the general gameplay styles and mechqnics of videogames change and that might not be taken into account when you play a game from a different time and don't hold it up to others for context, as the general gameplay tastes of the public change, making it not good currently but, "good for its time."

You're literally saying that a game being good or not is based on how similar it is to popular games being released at this exact moment in time.

Broken Loose posted:

lol if you think this "looks like poo poo".

Broken Loose posted:

also goldeneye

zen death robot posted:

The early 3D games actually aged rather poorly

These games were always bad. They didn't "age poorly" because that implies they were objectively good on release and then just magically became worse over time instead of what actually happened (everyone stopped being dumb little babies that like everything)

Endorph posted:

some screens of ff7 are downright incomprehensible without the arrow guide thing
But they included that arrow guide for people who need glasses, so it's not actually an issue?

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
OP is wrong and gay. Bye.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

darealkooky posted:

You're literally saying that a game being good or not is based on how similar it is to popular games being released at this exact moment in time.

No I'm not, I'm just phone posting (getting only this part of the quote was a bitch) so maybe I'm not bring clear enough, but I'm saying that the circumstances of the videogame industry around the time of a videogames release has an impact on how it's made, its gameplay philosophies, and how people who played it on release remember it. If you're playing a game with outdated gameplay mechanics, but you remember those mechanics fondly or just like gameplay like that in general, you'll think differently of it than someone else.

Tl;dr people have their own personal biases when it comes to games and what makes a game good is subjective.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

No I'm not, I'm just phone posting (getting only this part of the quote was a bitch) so maybe I'm not bring clear enough, but I'm saying that the circumstances of the videogame industry around the time of a videogames release has an impact on how it's made, its gameplay philosophies, and how people who played it on release remember it. If you're playing a game with outdated gameplay mechanics, but you remember those mechanics fondly or just like gameplay like that in general, you'll think differently of it than someone else.

Tl;dr people have their own personal biases when it comes to games and what makes a game good is subjective.

Do not engage OP, as he carries an extremely virulent strain of FailAIDS.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Its pretty silly to have to explain stuff like this, are you sure you're an actual real gamer and didn't click here looking for NES or TG or something?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

this and :gas:

OP owning himself on his second post, shameful

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
some have "aged poorly" Because they were poo poo to begin with, meanwhile i am still playing doom 45 years later and its still good

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Sure there are, OP. Often when new hardware launches the devs aren't that great at getting the most out of it so you end up with lovely graphics and mechanics that we might have tolerated at the time but laugh at now. Example: Resident Evil controls.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

Sure there are, OP. Often when new hardware launches the devs aren't that great at getting the most out of it so you end up with lovely graphics and mechanics that we might have tolerated at the time but laugh at now. Example: Resident Evil controls.

The thing is the OP has set it up such that any example you provide he will just say "actually, that game was bad all along". He's essentially a GBS poster.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Silver Striker posted:

The thing is the OP has set it up such that any example you provide he will just say "actually, that game was bad all along". He's essentially a GBS poster.

Okay, then beat him to death with a tire iron. Simple.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

Okay, then beat him to death with a tire iron. Simple.

Agreed.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

no game has aged poorly because any game that has aged at all is poo poo.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
As technology advances, so too do our standards. Things like Donkey Kong Country or Goldeneye were the peak of technology at their time and if you wanted something that looked like a real three-dimensional depiction of a world there were literally no other options, those were the best around. I mean look at Pong, it's the most basic and pointless game ever but it became super influential because the only other alternative was like, rolling a marble on the floor and hitting it back and forth with pieces of wood, doing so in Virtual Reality Vision was loving mindblowing

But nowadays developers are churning out games that pretty regularly offer as close a visual simulation of the real world as is reasonably and financially possible for a video game and so these games which had that as their primary appeal look poor and shoddy in comparison, which is why more stylized things with obviously non-realistic visual styles hold up better to our imaginations, partly because of the uncanny valley effect.

:words:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
dumb as poo poo thread and op

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

pikowned

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

DKC is still fun and still looks fine so I have no idea why anyone's complaining about that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thug Lessons posted:

DKC is still fun and still looks fine so I have no idea why anyone's complaining about that.
dkc is still fun but it doesnt look mindblowing like it used to

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i think the op is saying all game are bad until the ultimate one platonic ideal game is created

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

you guys post with a lot of words in this forum

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

theyre lower case so you know we dont care

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Baldur's Gate 1.

Owned bitch.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

You shouldn't post here so that it lowers that

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Gyra solune does not represent us as a whole.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Widestancer posted:

You shouldn't post here so that it lowers that

N:iceburn:

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

posting a lot of words is okay, sometimes.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

games can age poorly in graphics for sure, for example every PS1 game that was made in 3d is barely even readable now.

hell, good games can even age poorly in gameplay. XCOM's interface has aged really badly, but it's still a really great game.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

PantsBandit posted:

Gyra solune does not represent us as a whole.

Yeah I am the resident :words: here probably because I type stupidly fast so what for other people would be massive effortposts are things I don't even have to care and they just, happen

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

some have "aged poorly" Because they were poo poo to begin with, meanwhile i am still playing doom 45 years later and its still good

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

Broken Loose posted:

contrast: yoshi's island still looks incredible

Yoshi's Island and DKC2 are both classics.

• Locked thread