Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Are there any creatures on this planet, besides humans, who are intelligent enough to consider the bigger picture, and realise that their existence and habitat were provided for by some higher being?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

maybe elephants or dolphins in a really vague sense if they are taken care of by humans

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

HJB posted:

Are there any creatures on this planet, besides humans, who are intelligent enough to consider the bigger picture, and realise that their existence and habitat were provided for by some higher being?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
no that's why they're all burning in hell

even Lassie burns in hell

Obama's dog will burn in hell

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

yes although it's a different god but it's still shaped like a human being

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

HJB posted:

Yes. I had an enlightening sign-language conversation on theology with an orangutan just a week ago, and the zoo is planning on setting up a panel conversation with an bonobo, a pig with a vocal interpreter, and a new caledonian crow with a pencil. I believe that they also have plans to teleconference in one of the elephants as well.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Anyone remember that episode of X-Files where Sophie the gorilla gets abducted by aliens?

lol the gently caress is that about

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
well. superstitious psychology is probably an evolutionary trait, and animals definitely project their cute lil animal traits, so in terms of god as just a personification of superstition, I imagine there are some animals out there with at least a vague sense of a supernatural force to be appeased, and god as a creator is just the personification of the mystery of cosmological origin, so assuming there's an animal that wonders where it came from, that's probably in there, too.

so I'd go "yes, maybe" dolphins and bonobos seem to have their poo poo together, generally, it's probably happened once or twice.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
if they are mammals and have ingested LSD, yes.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Dolphins, elephants and bonobos all appear to be enlightened then. Excellent news.

SurfinArbiter
Jul 3, 2013

Y
o
u

f
o
u
n
d

m
e

heh
Cats probably think that they're the gods

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Pigeons believe in magic. That's actually proven experimentally, by putting them in a box with a button. When pressing the button, food falls out. They learn how that works pretty quickly. If you then disable the button and just randomly drop food in, they will start doing random poo poo, like pecking the corners or doing a little dance. They repeat whatever they did the last time food dropped out until food drops out again.

So yeah, pigeon prayer.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
This is actually a good argument against Atheists (the non-militant ones open to debate, at least). If lower animals have no concept of a higher power/G*d but humans do, what does that say about the validity of this belief?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

SurfinArbiter
Jul 3, 2013

Y
o
u

f
o
u
n
d

m
e

heh

Cardiovorax posted:

Pigeons believe in magic. That's actually proven experimentally, by putting them in a box with a button. When pressing the button, food falls out. They learn how that works pretty quickly. If you then disable the button and just randomly drop food in, they will start doing random poo poo, like pecking the corners or doing a little dance. They repeat whatever they did the last time food dropped out until food drops out again.

So yeah, pigeon prayer.

Isn't that just conditioning?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

SurfinArbiter posted:

Isn't that just conditioning?
Sort of, except in the opposite direction. Instead of reinforcing desired behaviour with rewards and punishments, undesired behaviour is induced because the pigeon confuses correlation and causation. In humans, this sort of thing is called "magical thinking."

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Every living creatures in the world except human beings praise the creator the one and only ALLAH. Allah says in Qur'an "We will show them Our signs in all the regions of the earth and in their own souls, until they clearly see that this is the truth ..." (Surah Fussilat, 41:53). Still the greatest of all miracles and the miracle of miracles is Al Qurán (The words of almighty)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sPBSAW5Qc

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

So yeah, pigeon prayer.

This is just inductive reasoning, duder.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Effectronica posted:

This is just inductive reasoning, duder.
It is. So is the idea that breaking mirrors is bad luck because a bad thing happened once after you dropped a mirror. Accordingly, superstitious pidgeon. It's a pretty famous experiment, feel free to check it out if you don't want to take my word for it.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Race Hate Kramer posted:

Anyone remember that episode of X-Files where Sophie the gorilla gets abducted by aliens?

lol the gently caress is that about

i thought you were going to talk about the one where Scully's dog Queequeg gets eaten by the Loch Ness.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was watching a youtube today and they were talking about gorillas who can communicate via sign language and apperently they never once ever ever ever asked a question so no they probably don't think about god.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Gazpacho posted:

Every living creatures in the world except human beings praise the creator the one and only ALLAH. Allah says in Qur'an "We will show them Our signs in all the regions of the earth and in their own souls, until they clearly see that this is the truth ..." (Surah Fussilat, 41:53). Still the greatest of all miracles and the miracle of miracles is Al Qurán (The words of almighty)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sPBSAW5Qc

The cow in that video is saying Toulouse, clearly it wants a short vacation

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yes, but only sheep

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
my guess is animals believe in food. whoever happens to have food and is willing to give them it could be a god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

HJB posted:

yeah

• Locked thread