Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Over the past month, I took a 30 day, 38-state tour of the US, visiting every region of the country and seeing most of America's big cities. During this trip, I learned a lot of things about America: mostly some areas of America are way more cool than others. From this, I decided to look at a tier system for America's city, coolness wise. There is a top tier of cities that are really cool and people who live in them become cool, just by osmosis. Then there are a host of cities that are not that cool, but that might have some cool parts, and that a cool person will actually remain cool in. Then there are a few benighted American cities that are just totally uncool and sap coolness out of people who visit them.

Using my secret sauce ranking system, I've determined the tiers: please feel free to argue with me.

1. New York City. Being the biggest city would usually count against it, since a certain amount of coolness comes with size. But even given its size, NYC is cooler than it should be. Its diverse, has great arts and culture, there is always something to do, and pretty much every literary or musical movement in America was developed there.

2. Seattle-Portland-Denver. The triad of smallish, modern cities in the West. Some people might think that them being twee/yuppie/white counts against them, and it does, but also they have a marked lack of boring depressing rust belt bullshit to deal with. Also, you can smoke weed in 2 of the 3 and soon in all 3.

3. San Francisco Bay area. Full of techies and yuppies and other self-important people currently, but also historically one of America's wilder cities, and a very diverse place. Setting aside the occasional smugness, this area is cool.

4. New Orleans. Poor, dirty, hot, humid, part of the oppressive, backwards south...but still a cool place to live. No one has ever said that New Orleans lacks character

Places that are neither cool or uncool:

1. Boston: the coolest of the uncool, Boston is an academic center, a pretty nice place, and a literary city, but it lacks that certain something.

2. Chicago: if Chicago was smaller, it would have to be cool, just based on the amount of art and architecture and cultural diversity. But Chicago is America's third or fourth biggest city, so its coolness is just expected.

3. Atlanta: Maybe the coolest city in the South, but that isn't saying much.

4. Minneapolis-St. Paul: Generally a pleasant place to live, with nothing objectionable about it, but a bit too corn fed and wholesome.

5. Every other city in the Midwest: Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Detroit...well, you can tread water there, I guess?

6. Every other city on the East Coast: If you are already in Philadelphia, why not just move to New York? Answer: because you aren't cool.

7. Los Angeles: this one is pretty troublesome. LA is a media center, but its mostly meant to create media for the middlest of middle America. But just based on its size, there is quite a scene there, and it does certainly have diversity. On balance, LA is not particularly cool, though.

Places that will suck out your coolness:

1. Washington, D.C.: a city mostly full of government people. Enough said?

2. Anywhere in Texas: Texas. (exceptions: San Antonio/Austin, which I haven't visited)

3. St. Louis: Pretty much got here after Ferguson

4. Any city in the deep south that isn't Atlanta: Birmingham, Little Rock, Oklahoma City, etc. BORING

5. Phoenix: literally and figuratively America's least cool city.

There are a couple of cities I haven't been to (Miami and San Diego) that I would live help placing, and a few people might hold exception to where I placed some cities, but I think we can come to consensus on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Cairo

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
boston is pretty cool and should not be on the uncool list

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
I agree with your top 3 although i haven't been to Denver.

Hopefully going to New Orleans this time next year (along with other places) so i'll get back to you about that one.

Have heard Austin is pretty cool from texans that hate texas (p much the only cool place in their eyes).

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Robbie Fowler posted:

I agree with your top 3 although i haven't been to Denver.

Hopefully going to New Orleans this time next year (along with other places) so i'll get back to you about that one.

Have heard Austin is pretty cool from texans that hate texas (p much the only cool place in their eyes).

I actually don't know if it is fair to compare Austin with big cities. In my mind, there are cool college or resort towns, but you can't really compare Madison or Eugene or Burlington against big cities where people actually do things. Austin is kind of a college town and kind of a real city, so I didn't know what to do with it. (Also I've never been there)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Cloud City

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

While its inclusion of a black mayor, and its willingness to buck imperial power, are both cool, Cloud City is not in America.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

While its inclusion of a black mayor, and its willingness to buck imperial power, are both cool, Cloud City is not in America.

it can't be true *lets go of ledge, falls*

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the south is actually tolerable during winter

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

:iamafag:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DC is higher tier than the bay area since piles of jobs like politics, law and non-profits means it has more single women.

lmao, it's the lamest opinion to knock DC since it's a boring place filled with government worker.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Baltimore is the greatest city in America

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

isn't nyc full of pretentious wankers though op?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Baltimore is the greatest city in America

Well if you can't afford rent in DC and many of the neighborhoods look just like DC to the point that it was used for House of Cards.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ratjaculation posted:

isn't nyc full of pretentious wankers though op?

Yes but more like self-styled masters of the universe who think that the world basically ends at the Hudson River. It's really hard to believe but in spite of them NYC is still really cool. It's pretty much an exclusive city for the rich now though.

Boston can suck my cock. The university city atmosphere is nice in some ways because the average citizen is less likely to be a dumbass, but it's cold and grey and very elitist in a way that seems quaint after coming from NYC and surprisingly racist.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

1. New York City.... pretty much every literary or musical movement in America was developed there.
:eyepop:

glowing-fish posted:

twee/yuppie/white depressing bullshit weed

techies and yuppies self-important people smugness government people
:agreed:

Henker
May 5, 2009

San Diego is kind of a weird one. It's a Southen Californian city without any of the lovely aspects of LA, and it has the best weather in America. However, it kinda lacks any sort of real culture. Comic Con is here though which is rad.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Fetus Tree posted:

boston is pretty cool and should not be on the uncool list

:ssh: it's ok to be overlooked by tourists, too many one way streets anyways

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

glowing-fish posted:

I actually don't know if it is fair to compare Austin with big cities. In my mind, there are cool college or resort towns, but you can't really compare Madison or Eugene or Burlington against big cities where people actually do things. Austin is kind of a college town and kind of a real city, so I didn't know what to do with it. (Also I've never been there)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Henker posted:

San Diego is kind of a weird one. It's a Southen Californian city without any of the lovely aspects of LA, and it has the best weather in America. However, it kinda lacks any sort of real culture. Comic Con is here though which is rad.

Yeah it has a lazy beach town feel and pretty empty downtown.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Henker posted:

yeah its super weird and just beige. and right next to mexico

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

san diego has culture you just have to be rich to appreciate its strip mall deco

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In all fairness DC and SF are too career orientated now to be considered cool IMO

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

mind the walrus posted:

Boston can suck my cock. The university city atmosphere is nice in some ways because the average citizen is less likely to be a dumbass, but it's cold and grey and very elitist in a way that seems quaint after coming from NYC and surprisingly racist.

Like i said, boston is pretty cool

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

etalian posted:

In all fairness DC and SF are too career orientated now to be considered cool IMO

I put "San Francisco Bay Area", so including San Jose, Oakland and everything in-between.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

Yeah it has a lazy beach town feel and pretty empty downtown.

Downtown San Diego, empty? Uh...........

Downtown LA is the empty one. Theres literally nothing but office buildings (little tokyo is cool i guess)

barfoid 4
Aug 21, 2014

by XyloJW
All cities are fail

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

all cities are all cool and uncool in a variety of ways.... you might say they are a land of contrasts

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Chinatown posted:

Downtown LA is the empty one. Theres literally nothing but office buildings (little tokyo is cool i guess)

What about Chinatown?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao according to rich dad magazine Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbrennan/2012/07/26/houston-tops-our-list-of-americas-coolest-cities-to-live/

1. Houston
2. DC
3. LA
4. Dallas
5. Seattle
6. San Diego
7. Boston
8. Orange County
9. SF
10. NYC
11. San Antonio
12. Chicago
13. Fort Worth
14. Baltimore
15. Philadelphia
16. Oakland
17. Bethesda
18. Minneapolis
19. Austin
20. Denver

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

etalian posted:

lmao according to rich dad magazine Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbrennan/2012/07/26/houston-tops-our-list-of-americas-coolest-cities-to-live/

1. Houston
2. DC
3. LA
4. Dallas
5. Seattle
6. San Diego
7. Boston
8. Orange County
9. SF
10. NYC
11. San Antonio
12. Chicago
13. Fort Worth
14. Baltimore
15. Philadelphia
16. Oakland
17. Bethesda
18. Minneapolis
19. Austin
20. Denver

there isn't enough charlotte, nc on this list to be considered a serious dad list

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
orange county? lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Umm have you been to LA?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Cleveland is an excellent tourist destination. Visit Cleveland!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

tldr, voted 1

"We threw your vote into the pile."

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Lol have you been to downtown la? Pretty hopping

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

Umm have you been to LA?

Yeah I drive all over it for work. Its poo poo m8.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

glowing-fish posted:

I kinda prefer mid-sized cities to 10-million-plus metro cities anyway.

Denver is just about the perfect size for a city, IMO. Maybe it would get my vote but honestly if Denver were in the middle of Missouri without the Rockies nearby to give it a boost, it'd probably be seen as less cool than Minneapolis on its own merits. Eh gently caress it I'll vote for it. Geography counts.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I think sf is cool but the fact that its so expensive + earthquake prone and smelly makes me not want to live there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You know it's not a cool city if the first question you get from a new person is "Where do you work?"

• Locked thread