Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

double nine posted:

The big disappointment about athletics and acrobatics is that, the devs never made environments where you gained an advantage from using them.

But they do let you bounce over the wall into Balmora, which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Are you saying leaping along Balmora rooftops is not at least entertaining way to gently caress around? Granted, there isn't much stuff explicitly designed for it.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

double nine posted:

The big disappointment about athletics and acrobatics is that, the devs never made environments where you gained an advantage from using them. That is, there are no vertically designed tombs/towns and there is a severe detriment of loot you can only get by platforming. In my mind, acrobatics should be very useful for a cat burglar but neither the toolset the game gives nor the environment allows for such a fantasy/roleplay.

There are some vertically-oriented areas like this - where levitation or insane jump height is required or very useful - but yeah, it's definitely not a Metroidvania sort of thing. (Which is fine by me, really.)

Still, in Morrowind, high level characters that are perhaps also vampires or werewolves get ridiculous running speed and jump height/distance. You can run like the wind, literally leap over mountains, jump from the top of one canton in Vivec to the next... it's amazing. You almost become your own fast-travel system, powered by your legs. :v:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I liked Athletics purely for the reduced stamina burn while running but I always felt it never really did much as a skill, especially because your move speed was more governed by your Speed stat than your Athletics skill. Acrobatics received more love because jumping about cities is way fun and in Oblivion it was one of the most stupidly powerful skills combined with magic or a bow because you could literally jump out of harms way and shoot bad guys from the rafters.

Some more things like high windows you could jump into for Thieves Guild missions or hard landings you needed the skill cap to survive would have been good though.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Gridlocked posted:

Totally modded my Skyrim so fast travel was disabled and added in a bunch more carts and boats to fast travel around the map. It's amazing how big the provinces are once you remove your ability to teleport around.

Ma'iq can still walk if he wants to.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Don't remind me.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Chapter VI: Anti-Competitive Behaviour

Emerging from Sulipund, I take down yet another cliff racer with my Magic Sword Of Killing Things. :orks101:

Braving the harsh ash storm and the possibility of more cliff racers, I run as fast as my Athletics skill can carry me to Punabi.

:getin:

Manwe is just down there.

ooh pretty

You owe the guild 2000 septims in unpaid dues. Time to pony up, elf.

I tried to kill this oval office dozens of times. DOZENS. Eventually I gave up and bribed her into giving me the money. (Bribing someone... with money... so they will give you more money? Someone didn't think this quest through enough... :psyduck: )

In the end, she hands over the dues and I take the Intervention Express back to Balmora.

Something I forgot to do before I left: sell the assassin armour. :20bux:

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: I'm afraid Mage Bereloth had plans to continue his studies... in Oblivion.

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: All two grand of them. Am I ready for a promotion now?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: Surely I've earned another one.

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: I'm sure I can spare another 200 septims.

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: Great! Do you have any more side quests to help me climb the promotion ladder?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: Unsanctioned training?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: I'll shut him down and shut him up for you.

There's only one Argonian in the South Wall Cornerclub, the same I recognized from when I first arrived in Balmora.

Bjorca: I hear you've been offering training to folks outside the auspices of the Mages' Guild. I've been sent here to stop you.
Only-He-Stands-There: The Mages' Guild training courses are way overpriced! It's insanity! Most people in Balmora can't afford them, so I've stepped in to provide a cheaper alternative. Supply and demand, Orc; a concept you should research.

Only-He-Stands-There won't be swayed by mere persuasion, so I bribe the crap out of him.

Only-He-Stands-There: What if, hypothetically, you were to return to Ranis Athrys and tell her I agreed to stop any unsanctioned training... and suppose that if you did that, I decided to offer training to my good friend Bjorca?
Bjorca: Nice try, lizard. But the answer's no. You either train people as a Guild trainer, or you don't teach magic at all.
Only-He-Stands-There: *hiss* Very well. I will stop offering training. Tell your beloved guildmaster I won't stand in her way.
Bjorca: See that you do.

Bjorca: The Argonian is out of business. Anything else need doing?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: Tell me more about this scholar of yours.

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: I... see. All right then.

I ask him about his research, but he politely declines to share. That's OK. I'll be handing those notes over to Ranis soon enough.

I lead the scholar out into the evening air and towards the city gates...

...along the darkened roadway towards his intended destination...

...then blast-chill him to death with a frost spell.

cha-ching

Bjorca: Got 'em right here. What's next?

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: A necromancer?

Ranis Athrys:

Right, got that...

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: :black101:

I don't actually know where Maar Gan is and the Balmora siltstrider doesn't go there, so I just pick a direction and start hiking. If nothing else, I'll get better acquainted with the land as I go.

A few in-game hours and tussles with the wildlife later, I arrive in Caldera.

I ask the locals for directions, but none of them can help me, either. I do, however, want some of that ebony.

oh god look at that face

let's go burgle a mine and get rich :getin:

Should I help him, kill him, or just leave him there? Either way, next chapter WILL feature an ebony heist.

Stay tuned, goons.

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 4, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, at this point you should start to realize that Ranis Athrys' orders are kind of fishy and she's a total bitch.
Anyway, help him, this encounter is kind of funny.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Fishy? She's a goddamn shark! I kinda figured the whole guild was like that, though.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ScreamingLlama posted:

Fishy? She's a goddamn shark! I kinda figured the whole guild was like that, though.
Nah, not the whole guild. But there are certain elements that are pretty nasty.
But killing Itermerel, while being the quick choice, is also the dirty one and could make things interesting down the line. :v:

And help him, for now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, Ranys' mobster tendencies are one of the reasons why Ajira tells you to go around her and start working for Edwinna in Ald'ruhn instead. I'm fairly sure that's the intended way since the first couple of quests there are really simple and net an amazingly useful reward.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

I tried to kill this oval office dozens of times. DOZENS. Eventually I gave up and bribed her into giving me the money. (Bribing someone... with money... so they will give you more money? Someone didn't think this quest through enough... :psyduck: )

On the off chance someone unfamiliar with Morrowind's dialogue system sees this and gets the wrong idea, the quest doesn't include specific conversation options to bribe her; it's just that the game lets you attempt to bribe virtually anyone to improve their opinion of you (represented by the blue percentage bar above 'Persuasion'). You can also do things like cast a charm spell on the character, or try your luck with straight flattery attempts.

But yeah, sometimes it happens that bribery is a little weird in context.

Anyway, help the Naked Nord.

Edit: Right, Ranis Athrys... she's pretty horrible. It's nice that the game gives you the freedom to not be as nasty as she's asking you to be, while still fulfilling her requests. I don't think I've ever actually seen all these mean outcomes to her quests.

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 5, 2014

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
You should explore caldera a bit once you're done helping the naked nord, lots of fun stuff to see and find.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Including something that constitutes hard game abuse and should not be used ever. I mean sure, Morrowind is pretty easy to break, but this thing in particular breaks it mindlessly.
edit: VVV It's a really loving broken merchant

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 5, 2014

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I can give better MW directions than I can IRL ones and I still have no idea what you're talking about. Is it based on a broken skill?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
If that spoiler refers to the thing I think it means, you can break the game even harder in the middle of pretty much nowhere.

On Ranis' business, you can talk to one of the priestesses at local temple to get an understanding of why those jobs are about unregulated magic. Even better after you meet some of those in responsible faction.

And do help that exhibitionist Nord. In fact, help the rest too whenever you meet them.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
He doesn't want to work, he just wants to bang on his drum all day.

Re: Maar Gan, it is north of Ald'ruhn, which is north of Caldera. You can hoof it north and follow the signs, or take the Mage guide from Caldera to Ald'ruhn and then a stilt strider to Maar Gan.

Always go along with any naked Nords you find in Morrowind.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Let's help the distressed Nord.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I always just cut this dude down right away because gently caress the tarzans of Morrowind. I say help him so I can see what happens.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Unload My Head posted:

He doesn't want to work, he just wants to bang on his drum all day.

Re: Maar Gan, it is north of Ald'ruhn, which is north of Caldera. You can hoof it north and follow the signs, or take the Mage guide from Caldera to Ald'ruhn and then a stilt strider to Maar Gan.

Cheers :D

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

MF_James posted:

I always just cut this dude down right away because gently caress the tarzans of Morrowind. I say help him so I can see what happens.

You witch sympathizer. I bet you just leave the pantsless dunmer helpless and naked in the river too.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

You witch sympathizer. I bet you just leave the pantsless dunmer helpless and naked in the river too.

I totally did.

I was the god damned Nerevarine not some errand boy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

No good deed goes unpunished. Go help him.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Gridlocked posted:

I totally did.

I was the god damned Nerevarine not some errand boy.

I played morrowind as if I were a god. Vivec had nothing on me, pretty sure I killed him at some point. I ruled with an iron fist and made sure that peasants feared me.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I killed vivec with the fork of horpilation.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Wizard of Smart posted:

I killed vivec with the fork of horpilation.

poo poo son you crazy. I was annoyed enough beating on the Netch with that.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Antistar01 posted:

But yeah, sometimes it happens that bribery is a little weird in context.

Eh, actually, Mount and Blade also does the 'bribe to get money' - though they specifically frame it as 'I'll give you a discount - equal to what would normally be my commission - if you'll just pay right now' with, in my opinion, the implication that if they say no they'll just keep getting people coming by, and they might not be so nice.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

aerion111 posted:

Eh, actually, Mount and Blade also does the 'bribe to get money' - though they specifically frame it as 'I'll give you a discount - equal to what would normally be my commission - if you'll just pay right now' with, in my opinion, the implication that if they say no they'll just keep getting people coming by, and they might not be so nice.

Honestly it's all better than the Oblivion Wheel-O-Speechcraft.

That was really stupid.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Speechcraft was in the same situation as Lockpicking in Oblivion in that you could completely skip tagging those skills if you knew how the minigame worked, yeah?

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

tlarn posted:

Speechcraft was in the same situation as Lockpicking in Oblivion in that you could completely skip tagging those skills if you knew how the minigame worked, yeah?

Meanwhile, in Morrowind, only the greatest speakers that ever lived could manage to befriend someone without using magic or giving them money - or, for that matter, get into a bar brawl.
It actually kinda explains why some people can seem a bit incompetent; Sure, they COULD go talk to the guy across the street to get their stuff back... But their speechcraft is low enough that they'd just make a fool of themselves.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

tlarn posted:

Yes because I believe it only made a difference in how much bribes cost, how much you lost for giving people the negative response or if you could rotate the wheel freely.

Infact you should really never tag it at all because then you would level up too quickly from just talking to people.

In Oblivion smart people put the skills that leveled up slowly, or the ones they were never using as their primary's and the ones they really used a lot as their secondaries in order to slow the leveling process.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
In Oblivion smart people realized that the only skill that actually did anything was Athletics.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

Infact you should really never tag it at all because then you would level up too quickly from just talking to people.

You are wrong, and have made it clear that you don't know anything about Oblivion. It should be a main skill that you ignore so that you can pump some juice into an actually useful skill that you do want to increase until you're a fuckin' pro without dicking over your stats.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

anilEhilated posted:

In Oblivion smart people realized that the only skill that actually did anything was Athletics.

Acrobatics was fun if you were an archer. "Oh no the skellingtons can't hit me if I jump up on this small ledge."

Lizard Wizard posted:

You are wrong, and have made it clear that you don't know anything about Oblivion. It should be a main skill that you ignore so that you can pump some juice into an actually useful skill that you do want to increase until you're a fuckin' pro without dicking over your stats.

So what you take it as a Primary but don't do it till you have the Secondaries up enough that you get maximum value from your level up's then talking to people a bunch for lazy mode level ups?

That could also work. I generally avoided putting anything I used into Primaries just so I could take an axe out and bash a few dudes later for the level ups. If I was more controlled with my use of speechcraft it would have been the same, but I hated having to talk to people more than once so I just did the mini game on every person I talked to for the first time so I didn't have to do it again later.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Gridlocked posted:

So what you take it as a Primary but don't do it till you have the Secondaries up enough that you get maximum value from your level up's then talking to people a bunch for lazy mode level ups?

You'd think that, but personality is poo poo so it's literally just to never touch Speechcraft and actually do worthwhile stuff.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lizard Wizard posted:

You'd think that, but personality is poo poo so it's literally just to never touch Speechcraft and actually do worthwhile stuff.

True enough. I just got annoyed at not having the Rotate bonus sometimes because it meant I would have to play the minigame more than once.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I had an update, but the game crashed on me before I could save and now I have to redo it. :( Sorry for the delay.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Finally, an update! This chapter involved a hardware experiment: seeing if I could play Morrowind with a USB dual-analog gamepad. The Options menu has an option to 'Enable Joystick', but unfortunately I'm pretty sure the game wasn't designed with analog input in mind, since the gamepad controls were a massive pain in the arse to configure. Even when I did get them properly configured, some of the inputs got confused, eg. whenever I pressed the crouch button in order to sneak, Bjorca would crouch and draw her sword at the same time. It sounds like just another Elder Scrolls bug, but I honestly think it's just a hardware compatibility artefact. Apart from that, though, it was actually quite fun and made playing the game more efficient to a certain extent.

Chapter VII: When Opportunity Knocks

Bjorca: You say a witch did this to you?

Hlormar Wine-Sot:

Bjorca: COUNT ME IN :orks101:

Hlormar Wine-Sot:

Bjorca: Let's go, then.

I now have a temporary follower. Hlormar tails me along the winding road as we search for the dastardly witch.

Maar Gan's thataway.

It's not long before we encounter an innocent-looking Imperial woman just standing around, as some strangers in Morrowind are wont to do.

Sosia Caristiana:

IT'S HER

Bjorca: Hlormar tells me you left him in a bit of a pickle. Care to explain yourself?

Sosia Caristiana:

Bjorca: He's a Nord, Sosia. Nord men are like dark elf women, they'll rut anything that moves.

Hlormar Wine-Sot: Hey!

Bjorca: They're also like some Orcish men in that it's damned near impossible to teach them anything about manners. You've had your fun, now will you kindly give him his weapon back so I can go about my business?

Sosia Caristiana:

Bjorca: I'll tell him, but I should warn you that this may not end well for you. (To Hlormar) She wants you to meet her at the Caldera Mage's Guild in three days, and no sooner. Your belongings will be returned to you then.

Hlormar Wine-Sot:

Bjorca: I don't believe a word she says.

Hlormar Wine-Sot:

Bjorca: TRIBUNAL GUIDE ME :orks101:

Sosia breaks out a magic staff and takes a good few swings, but Hlormar's fists take away her stamina and I charge up my only frost spell.

Cause of death: magically induced hypothermia.

Bjorca: Here's your axe.

Hlormar Wine-Sot:

Bjorca: You're welcome. Try not to get handsy with any more witches, OK? Bye, Hlormar.

On my way back to Caldera, I practice my swordsmanship on some rats.

I really should take a look inside some of these mines when I get some time.

I call into the local guild hall to see if they have any useful spells for sale.

Turns out they do!

I do a bit of plant-smushing and sell the results before heading back out.

I vaguely remember reading something about the Propylon Indices: something about a disused teleportation system installed around Vvardenfell. In any case, it looks like it could be useful, so I take it off Irgola's hands.

My shopping's done. Time for a heist. :getin:

The Caldera Mining Company is located just outside Caldera, the office, bunkhouse and slave barracks complex sitting directly atop the underground ebony mine.

I'm going to steal a few things from here first.

STEAL ALL THE THINGS

YES ALL THE THINGS

One poke of the lockpick is all it takes.

Sounds like the company mages need an occupational health and safety training seminar. Now that I think about it, I can't for the life of me see any Material Safety Data Sheets anywhere, either. If it weren't for the fact that they use slave labour, this mine would be a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

Out past the slave huts and the rather odd-looking minecart track to nowhere is the mine proper. Crunch time. :ninja:

There are guards and overseers posted everywhere. I need to be careful and not act suspicious in any way.

One of the myriad items I swiped from the bunkhouse was the master key for the slave bracers. :ocelot:

Thanks for the advice, bud. I'll try not to loving get caught. :sterv:

My first target is an ebony deposit right around the corner from the overseer. Time to :ninja:

While the overseer is busy doing... whatever it is Dunmer do when they're not driving the slaves and watching out for thieves, I carefully extract the precious ore and pack it in my Bag Of Holding.

:master:

He sees nothing. He suspects nothing. :sterv:

This the part when the 'crouch/draw sword' thing started to happen. It didn't affect my stealth rating one bit, though.

Unfortunately ebony is heavy and my pilfering soon left me overencumbered. I had to put some of it back. Still, six pieces of ebony valued at 200 septims each ain't too fuckin' bad.

Safely back in Caldera, I trade in the pilfered ebony-

Bjorca: ARE YOU making GBS threads ME THAT STUFF IS WORTH 1200 SEPTIMS TOTAL :stonk:

Verick Gemain: Not with a Mercantile skill like yours, it isn't. Look, I'll make it an extra five septims, but that's it. Take it or leave it, Orc.

Bjorca: You're lucky there's an Imperial Guard standing behind me, otherwise I would make a very messy and bloody example of you. Fine, I'll take the deal.

I'm compensated for my disgustingly low purchasing power with the chance to snap up two very useful items.

I cast Mark inside the guild hall's tower, so if I get into any trouble or simply need to get back from a long way away, I can Recall myself back to a safe area without having to trek all the way over from Balmora.

My new robes look wonderfully shimmery.

This charming fellow provides training in Sneak.

I pay him to train me right through the night. By the time we're done, it's 6am and I'm ready to go steal some more ore.

The Ring of Aversion turns out to be a sound investment. No-one knows I'm there.

A few minutes and a Recall later, I'm back in Caldera with 10 pieces of ebony, thanks to all the stuff I sold earlier freeing up more carrying capacity.

Third time's a charm!

Now things are getting more difficult. There's a Hlaalu guard and a slave overseer watching this section. I don't know if I can pull this off without getting flattened by the guard.

The last slave is freed. Neither the guard or the overseer notice.

I grab the ebony, but then the Hlaalu guard catches me and I'm forced to Recall to stay alive. That arsehole hits like a speeding train.

I made it back, but I'm overburdened again.

I stash some of the ebony in a basket and head out to trade.

Five freaking guards in the square alone. Did the mine alert them?

Well, crap. I'm not giving up the ebony without a fight, so I need to get creative, fast.

I stash the rest of the ebony in a crate at the guildhall, then turn myself in.

Oh well. You do the crime, you do the time...

...then go back and pick up your hidden cache of loot. :smug:

Verick probably knows I'm stealing the ore, but I guess as long as I'm not wanted for it, no1curr.

That amulet would be a great addition to my slowly-growing collection of highly useful magic wearables.

You know what, swords are for Imperials. I WANT THAT HAMMER.

My bitchin' new Warhammer of Wounds is armed and ready. :dukedog:

My dirty deeds are done, now I'm off to do... more dirty deeds.

The same route that led me to Sosia the witch can take me to Tashpi Ashibael, the necromancer I'm supposed to kill.

drat IT HLORMAR PUT SOME BLOODY CLOTHES ON

Nords.

Time to take my new toy for a test drive.

It's every bit as devastating as I expected it to be.

What is it with Nords and nudity in this part of Morrowind?

Hisin Deep-Raed:

Bjorca: Let me guess, a witch did this to you?

Hisin Deep-Raed:

Bjorca: I'm afraid I can't help you. I don't have anything that can undo a paralysis spell. Once I get back to my guild hall, though, I can probably find someone who can help you. You'll have to tough it out here until then.

Hisin Deep-Raed:

Bjorca: All right, that's it. You're seriously trying to talk tough to me while you're naked and paralyzed and I'm wielding an enchanted dwarven warhammer? You're officially too stupid to live.

Bjorca: Give my regards to the Imperial gods! *crunch*

Another one bites the dust. For someone who was hexed and robbed, his corpse yielded some good loot.

Trekking onward, I soon find myself entering another part of the Ashlands.

My warhammering isn't good enough to reliably hit flying enemies, so I fire up the ol' Frostbite and freeze-blast the cliff racer out of my airspace.

Night in the Ashlands is dark and full of terrors, which is exactly why I can't stop and camp out. My best bet is to push on to Maar Gan and hope I can get there in one piece.

In the end, I throw caution to the wind and run for it.

Unfortunately, I'm not fast enough to outrun a hungry alit. Stop! Hammertime.

'Buying This Hammer Was A Good Idea' Points: 3^:regd08:

The hammer's magical charge isn't infinite, though, so I use the Ring of Aversion to slip past a third alit.

Maybe later.

Finally, I reach Maar Gan, AKA Fugly City. :wooper:

I'll get back to you, Garry.

(If you've never seen the 1990s Yogo advertisements, you won't get that joke.)

There's no guild hall I can crash at, but I did find the target's house.

Bjorca: I'm with the Balmora Mages' Guild. It's been brought to our attention that you've been doing unsavoury things to dead people.

Tashpi Ashibael:

Bjorca: Our guildmaster, Ranis Athrys, issued your death warrant personally.

Tashpi Ashibael:

I searched her house and there's nothing necromancy-related to be found. She's telling the truth.

Bjorca: All right, but you'd better do it quickly.

Tashpi Ashibael:

My work in Maar Gan complete, I Recall to Caldera.

The Caldera teleport specialist sends me the rest of the way to Balmora. I rematerialize on a platform in the alchemy lab and report in to Ranis.

Ranis Athrys:

Bjorca: I fried that bitch like an ash yam in slaughterfish oil. She won't be bothering the dead anymore.

Ranis Athrys:

Ranis gives me some combat scrolls, which I sell back to the guild for a tidy sum.

What's next for Bjorca? You decide:

• Take another quest from Ranis
  • Get more quests from another guild hall
  • Explore some of the dungeons encountered earlier
  • Tomb of Nope
  • Talk to the Imperial in Ebonheart about the DB
  • Help the pilgrim in the Ashlands

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
How vanilla is this game, Llama? Are you running the official plugin set? If so, there is someone in the Caldera guild you should talk to about that Index.

Regardless, my vote would be travelling to Ald'ruhn to Get more quests from another guild hall.

If the DB attacks are becoming a pain in the rear end you can stop trigger for them by talking to the guard in Ebonhart, but I wouldn't suggest pursuing the rest of that questline at your current level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, move to Ald'ruhn and start working for the guild there, the first couple quests are really easy and the reward is very much worth it.
Oh, funny thing about that raw ebony you were pawning off for a laughable price; one thing that affects the costs is the trader's disposition towards you. Basically you could've unloaded it all at Ajira for more money and less walking.
She's got restocking potions, about 800 gold and she'll even buy skooma; combine that with being located right at a teleporter and you get one of the most useful merchants in the game.

• Locked thread