Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

keyvin posted:

YoOL 2006. What was the last year 68000 samples were given out?

PuTTY riot posted:

im the wire management

I'll be the ... hmm .. cool power switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Cable management would have involved spending my money, because my partners sure as hell didn't care. It looked a lot better before we switched from polling to vectored interrupts.

Lets not even get into the idiocy of breadboarding a computer to begin with. Class was about as useful as mechanical drafting.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
mechanical drafting is cool

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

pentium III was hella ownage

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

keyvin posted:

Cable management would have involved spending my money, because my partners sure as hell didn't care. It looked a lot better before we switched from polling to vectored interrupts.

Lets not even get into the idiocy of breadboarding a computer to begin with. Class was about as useful as mechanical drafting.

im just loving w/ u lol u shoudl see under my tv

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

keyvin posted:

I gave your mom a good polling looll

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Cold on a Cob posted:

the wifi in my desktop died so i used my airport express to extend my network and to plug ethernet into it because i'm too cheap to buy new crap for my winblows pc

one day the ssd or video card will die and i'll bin it because i prefer my mac now

im the wifi in a desktop

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

bobbilljim posted:

im the wifi in a desktop

~*dont wanna run wire, club*~

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

I AM SMELTING THE ORE NOW

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
*enjoys computers*

*takes no interest whatsoever in them*

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
yes, as of two years ago this october the 12th

did a basic build with no overclocking water-cooling neon light nonsense and it has worked rly rly good.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
my friend showed me his ~pro gaming rig~ and the ram sticks look like little toys for child's. they have these bright red fat heatsinks on them and apparently they are significantly over volted.

I know what I want for Christmas, many a time I have chastised my randomly accessible memory for being a measly 1866 MHz.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I wish you would unbuild your own computer, op.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

u haven't lived till you've ocnifgured the MCG of a SoC by hand in arm thumb

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ocrassus posted:

my friend showed me his ~pro gaming rig~ and the ram sticks look like little toys for child's. they have these bright red fat heatsinks on them and apparently they are significantly over volted.

I know what I want for Christmas, many a time I have chastised my randomly accessible memory for being a measly 1866 MHz.

these are the G-SKILL ripjaws and teyve been the best price:ram ratio for like 5 years or smth. ive bought them for 2 builds ^^

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
G SKILL also sponsored the SC2 GSL which i respect so good 4 them. good for them. good for them.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

"if u wish to make a computer from scratch, you must first invent the universe"

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
i know this is an irony thread but computer hardware is in a weird place right now because of intel and VR i think

there's a bunch of innovations in software and hardware in terms of efficiency that go beyond the whole "add more cores! shrink it!" stuff from the past. as processes get smaller and harder to manufacture (intel are the only people on 14nm and they had huge trouble with it, nvidia has stayed at 28nm for like 4 years now) these other improvements have become more worthwhile to invest in

but by the end of next year we'll have moved past Broadwell onto Skylake and have a whole new generation of 20nm GPUs with (hopefully) hardware designed with the input of uber nerds such as John Carmack that's specifically VR-ready. at the same time variable refresh-rate monitors should be more mainstream. and skylake is supposed to be the big jump in performance, rather than power efficiency, that intel has been promising for desktop consumers

so right now you could build a really awesome computer that's effectively the same underlying tech as 2012 while building one in late 2015 will be a huge leap forward

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
idk i just read anandtech

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
i just want larger, faster, and simultaneously cheaper hard drives tbh. Please get on this asap WD employees who post on this forum.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
i played around with my 1.4 ghz tualatin pentium 3 this weekend

lol @ amd for failing after their early 2000 stride vs the pentium 4

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

im trying to build my own macbook at home but so far i cant get the aluminiom unibody right and i think i need a hotter stove to smelt

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Ericadia posted:

i just want larger, faster, and simultaneously cheaper hard drives tbh. Please get on this asap WD employees who post on this forum.

i just talked to steve milligan and he called you a human being who can, in his words, "suck my hairy balls"

sorry i tried

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Blackula69 posted:

i know this is an irony thread but computer hardware is in a weird place right now because of intel and VR i think

there's a bunch of innovations in software and hardware in terms of efficiency that go beyond the whole "add more cores! shrink it!" stuff from the past. as processes get smaller and harder to manufacture (intel are the only people on 14nm and they had huge trouble with it, nvidia has stayed at 28nm for like 4 years now) these other improvements have become more worthwhile to invest in

but by the end of next year we'll have moved past Broadwell onto Skylake and have a whole new generation of 20nm GPUs with (hopefully) hardware designed with the input of uber nerds such as John Carmack that's specifically VR-ready. at the same time variable refresh-rate monitors should be more mainstream. and skylake is supposed to be the big jump in performance, rather than power efficiency, that intel has been promising for desktop consumers

so right now you could build a really awesome computer that's effectively the same underlying tech as 2012 while building one in late 2015 will be a huge leap forward

you are rly stupid

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ericadia posted:

:agreed:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I built my last computer in the same sense that I built all my ikea furniture

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
I built my last computer in the same sense that I built my all my cars.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i assembled the components in my computer into a working model in the sense that when i jerk off into a rag im causing the mass devastation of millions of live cells each my a unique snapshot of half my dna

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dont want computers to get faster or better or whatever

just cheaper

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

let me tell u about netbooks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk if rod rocket would run on one of those

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Proteus4994 posted:

i just talked to steve milligan and he called you a human being who can, in his words, "suck my hairy balls"

sorry i tried

its unfortunate that steve is so mean and has such hairy balls, but thank you proteus

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

I built my last computer in the same sense that I built all my ikea furniture

if i put this on my resume my job would be far far less impressed tho

so no, i designed and fabricated my current home workstation from scratch

exactly like baking a loaf of bread "the impressive way"

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if i put this on my resume my job would be far far less impressed tho

so no, i designed and fabricated my current home workstation from scratch

exactly like baking a loaf of bread "the impressive way"

imagine There Will Be Blood but with computers

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

idk if rod rocket would run on one of those

theres only one way to know

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no i am NOT spending money to test my piece of poo poo game on a crappy netbook. idc if u need a 2gb vid card, almost 4 ghz i5 processor and ssd to enjoy my simple polygon game.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i have a m295x :smugmrgw: (in transit)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if only you were running the same kind of monitor i was you could gloat about it being epic and overpowered

"i have a million dollars"

*is trying to buy a mansion in san fransisco"

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

idk i might regret this: what monitor are u using

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Veon-40-Inch-Full-HD-LED-LCD-TV-VN4018LED?SKU=1865918

• Locked thread