Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

1. are all the gay characters campy and effeminate? seems problematic

2. nobody talks like this in real life. in the show, everyone has witty, fully-formed banter that rolls off the cuff, all the time. it's most glaring with the bad children actors like the fat kid and the gay guys' daughter. i don't mind precocious children in shows, but just listen to her sometime.

3. bad children actors who can't sell their lines at all.

4. every character has essentially the same voice. going back to #2, it seems the mind of every character is that of a try-hard comedy writer trying to show how clever they are

5. is there any context to the talking head bits? why do they do those, except for more unrealistic forced monologue invariably in the voice of a "sharp"-witted sitcom writer?

6. this show consistently wins emmys? smh. just smdh, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
A marginally attractive thin gay man would never be in a relationship with a fatty.

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine
I hate Modern Family as it interrupts Law and Order. There really should be a Law and Order on at all times on television, there are plenty of them its not like they would run out. Perhaps there should be a 24/7 Law and Order channel.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yes, but on the other hand, the Columbian woman's tits.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Bazinga

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced

PT6A posted:

Yes, but on the other hand, the Columbian woman's tits.

Counterpoint: Columbian woman's voice, mannerisms and dialogue.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Redleg posted:

I hate Modern Family as it interrupts Law and Order. There really should be a Law and Order on at all times on television, there are plenty of them its not like they would run out. Perhaps there should be a 24/7 Law and Order channel.

what's your law and order dream team?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Zen Punk posted:

she can probably spell Colombian tho

also thats racist

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I find it disturbing that Al Bundy never talks about his other family. Did he kill them?

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine

Gaunab posted:

Olivia :swoon:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Gaunab posted:

Everyone from Oz.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

SirDan3k posted:

I find it disturbing that Al Bundy never talks about his other family. Did he kill them?

his wife left him and is up to some serious poo poo. its a sensitive topic

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I thought this thread would literally be about modern families in America. That's what happens when you don't capitalize your proper nouns!

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

all of the detectives are awesome, but yeah Olivia Bensen from SVU and Lenny Brisco from the originale would be a really entertaining team to watch

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Action Yak Police posted:

I thought this thread would literally be about modern families in America. That's what happens when you don't capitalize your proper nouns!

actually it seems more like an inability to understand the vernacular on ur part, hth

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I've never seen the show but have been told by several people that I would love it because "there's a same sex couple" on it which is really all you're looking for in a television show.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

that's why i picked the tv thread icon, brosef

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I've never seen the show but have been told by several people that I would love it because "there's a same sex couple" on it which is really all you're looking for in a television show.

this is bc you live in florida and are the only gay person your neighbors know/tolerate, mainly bc they assume youll grow out of the phase//you still talk about your ex-bfs so they think you can be redeemed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Modern family is actually pretty dece, i expected it to be bad. the ~things i learned today~ lesson-of-the-week at the end of each ep is angering but the rest is often good.

although i find it funny they were trying to be progressive with 'gay couple' but they literally avoided having them show any physical affection for like 4 seasons b/c it would have been too scary (and homoerotic) for your typical american. when they finally did kiss, it was the lamest peck ever

Xaris fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 20, 2014

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Modern Family jumped the shark when they replaced the French bulldog

The new one is a terrible actress

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
i don't watch any shows with cishet couples

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Xaris posted:

Modern family is actually pretty dece, i expected it to be bad. the ~things i learned today~ lesson-of-the-week at the end of each ep is angering but the rest is often good.

although i find it funny they were trying to be progressive with 'gay couple' but they literally avoided having them show any physical affection for like 4 seasons b/c it would have been too scary (and homoerotic) for your typical american

being gay is alright when you're a flamboyant stereotype but as soon as you start doing "couple-y" things it's bad.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

cameron is by far the best

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Zen Punk posted:

Counter-counterpoint: not a factor if you gag her and tie her down on a bed

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i like phil & his sons antics a lot

also i like the blonde mom

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Three Olives posted:

A marginally attractive thin gay man would never be in a relationship with a fatty.

how can one poster be wrong about so much i...just...cant..........

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Biplane posted:

cameron is by far the best

if by "best" you mean "worst"

somehow he may be a worse actor than the 5-year-old asian girl

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Fetus Tree posted:

i like phil & his sons antics a lot

also i like the blonde mom

blonde mom is unironically hotter than al bundy's wife

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yea the secret clown thing is pretty drat bad

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

LifeSizePotato posted:

blonde mom is unironically hotter than al bundy's wife

she is unironically hot as gently caress so you wont get any disagreement from me

i want her to be both my mom & my wife, this tv show gives me many mixed feelingws

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

being gay is alright when you're a flamboyant stereotype but as soon as you start doing "couple-y" things it's bad.

one of the first episodes i fully watched was one where they were planning their wedding with the gay wedding planners. every gay person in that episode was such a campy stereotype that i was confused because i thought the show was supposed to be a progressive depiction of gays

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Xaris posted:

lol a TV show still pulling that morality play bullshit in 2014

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Fetus Tree posted:

this tv show gives me many mixed feelingws

also the nerdy girl with glasses doesn't really look 17...right..?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

LifeSizePotato posted:

one of the first episodes i fully watched was one where they were planning their wedding with the gay wedding planners. every gay person in that episode was such a campy stereotype that i was confused because i thought the show was supposed to be a progressive depiction of gays

its a win:win for tv execs. you get to court left viewers by having token gays and "its such a brave and progressive thing that we're doing", but then you can also get right viewers while still showing gays by having them as funny quick witted fast talking non-threatening gays that don't show anything too raunchy, like you know, holding hands

i actually enjoy the stereotype fast talking gay so i don't mind that much

Yaldabaoth posted:

lol a TV show still pulling that morality play bullshit in 2014
yea it's embarrassingly bad. one ending moral one was: "Some of us are dreamers, some of us are realists. Us dreamers, we need the realists or else we'll fly too close to the sun but the realists will never take off without the dreamers"

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 20, 2014

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Same. Read title and was formulating a 6-8 paragraph response in my head explaining to the kind people of GBS what my opinions are on the very important topic of the modern family structure.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Overall there's just not enough loving.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

LifeSizePotato posted:

also the nerdy girl with glasses doesn't really look 17...right..?

tbh i thought she looked even younger, so i decided to wikipedia the actress and she turns 17 in a few months

i feel kinda bad for her i think

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Fetus Tree posted:

tbh i thought she looked even younger, so i decided to wikipedia the actress and she turns 17 in a few months

i feel kinda bad for her i think

when i first watched it i would have sworn that haley was like 15 and alex (glasses girl) was 21 or something. then they showed haley getting wine at a restaurant and i was all sorts of confused!

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

This show is a crime against humanity because it somehow made Al Bundy unfunny. How is that even possible? gently caress this white rear end show and its dumb gay stereotypes and chronic unfunniness :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Xaris posted:

yea it's embarrassingly bad. one ending moral one was: "Some of us are dreamers, some of us are realists. Us dreamers, we need the realists or else we'll fly too close to the sun but the realists will never take off without the dreamers"

Well at least that's kind of more nuanced than saying "Dreams are bullshit, grow the gently caress up"

• Locked thread