Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
No realistic modern family is that affluent to live in nice homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

JediTalentAgent posted:

my family is poor and my basement small

ftfy

Moosechees
Jun 1, 2002

rawr

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I've never seen the show but have been told by several people that I would love it because "there's a same sex couple" on it which is really all you're looking for in a television show.
Your friends must be terrible people because Modern Family is basically an anti-homosexual hate crime. The gay couple are the two most insufferable people on the show and only exist to fill every gay cliche and stereotype.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Moosechees posted:

two most insufferable people on the show

they are not both manny

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
downside is that eyebrows lady isnt nude all the time

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

CommonTerry posted:

downside is that eyebrows lady isnt nude all the time

she's got bewbs, but otherwise, eh

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The mom is hot but she wears a shitton of makeup,

Phil looks like the guy ABC is grooming to take over America's Funniest Home Movies

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

phil is cool cuz he's in key and peele sometimes but otherwise seems to have no discernible personality (outside of "voice of clever sitcom writer," as previously mentioned)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've only watched this once or twice, but the dialogue as mentioned in the OP is what stood out to me. They try to make this feel organic by using The Office's style right down to the use of constant quick zooms, but if every line is a forced witty reply or a pun then it just doesn't work.

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced

Moosechees posted:

Your friends must be terrible people because Modern Family is basically an anti-homosexual hate crime. The gay couple are the two most insufferable people on the show and only exist to fill every gay cliche and stereotype.

sometimes they make the gay character from Airplane! look reserved

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9dGT5Cs-I

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
itt goons rail against one of the most popular comedies on tv bc they just dont get it

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Fetus Tree posted:

itt goons rail against one of the most popular comedies on tv bc they just dont get it

i'm just saying, it's no adventure time, is all

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMss1CeHOiM

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
When I see the dad character all I think of is the jerk in dawn of the dead remake.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

LifeSizePotato posted:

i'm just saying, it's no adventure time, is all

You know that show is just a random word generator that they tied into a modified version of the Spore engine.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
its not a bad show, not a good show, a show

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Pon de Bundy posted:

its not a bad show, not a good show, a show

there are worse shows for sure, but the problems with it are so obvious and annoying

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like that the gay couple actually hates each other but are both too cowardly to break up because they feel they can't do better and don't want to go through the hassle, so they do poo poo like adopt a kid and get married hoping it'll fix their lovely loveless relationship, but we know it won't. It makes them hell of a lot more normal than most other TV couples, even if not necessarily that likable.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

LifeSizePotato posted:

there are worse shows for sure, but the problems with it are so obvious and annoying

This.

It's bland and inoffensive (barring the possibly offensive gay stereotypes) and boring. It's just there. A humorless time-waster. If I wanted to watch a Funny-Yet-Borderline-Offensive-Gay-Stereotype-Sitcom, I'd watch Will and Grace reruns.

Back in the day TV shows like this had a right to exist as filler between better shows, but in the age of tools like Netflix where infinitely better shows are a click away the only thing that's keeping this tripe on the air are clueless grandmas

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*puts down war poetry* you know this is gonna loving SHOCK YOU but people who are OLD don't watch netflix 24/7 or go on the god drat internet for things besides facebook or ebay

they just put the tv on and ride that car ride of the gay guys acting all silly and haha their daughter is asian they're white look at her go shes so rambunctious and manny man gently caress manny what an annoying little fucker he is god drat and then theres al bundy he got a hot wife look at his shrieking exotic erotic bombshell

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

i guess there are worse ways to be typecast than "guy who inexplicably gets hot wife"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fetus Tree posted:

Yes, goons do hate everything popular, and Modern Family doesn't deserve hate like Big Bang Theory and such, but there's nothing to "get" about it. Its standard sitcom humor, writing, and situations masked by the mockumentary style filming.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yes, goons do hate everything popular, and Modern Family doesn't deserve hate like Big Bang Theory and such, but there's nothing to "get" about Modern Family. Its standard sitcom humor, writing, and situations masked by the mockumentary style filming.

oh no, it does require a basic level of understanding how humans interact

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Fetus Tree posted:

oh no, it does require a basic level of understanding how humans interact

in snappy, witty banter 24/7, even at age 5?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

LifeSizePotato posted:

in snappy, witty banter 24/7, even at age 5?

honestly if people watch sitcoms for realistic portrayals of toddlers idk what to tell them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i dont think BBT deserves the hate it gets either :shrug:

both of them are mostly just inoffensive sitcoms with sometimes funny poo poo that you can watch with grandma or leave on while cooking/cleaning in the background. it's not a show you're going to sitdown at your computer and refresh piratebay waiting to download s05e30 xVID 720p.mkv from the second it goes up because you want to know what happened. and theres noting wrong with that imo

i find it funny my mom refuses to watch it because :supaburn: gays :supaburn: even tho it'd be right up her alley

Xaris fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 20, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Which character is worse, Luke or Manny?

I think they are both terrible and there should be a very special episode where they both die in a horrible car accident.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Three Olives posted:

Which character is worse, Luke or Manny?

I think they are both terrible and there should be a very special episode where they both die in a horrible car accident.

manny by far

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Xaris posted:

i find it funny my mom refuses to watch it because :supaburn: gays :supaburn: even tho it'd be right up her alley

i'd think middle age white people would be the key demographic because it's comfortably "edgy" humor, so they can feel hip, and depicts gays in a way that affirms their preconceived ideas

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
oh it totally is. she just reads freep and probably saw something about how it was corrupting america.

which it probably is from their perspective. im sure modern family has made more contributions to swaying opinion on the huge swath of pro gay marriage going around in recent years (because those gays seem so nice and happy, why cant they get married!) than 30 years of lovely of LGBT pride marches have

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

They are married IRL. He is an attorney, it doesn't seem right.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Claven666 posted:

all of the detectives are awesome, but yeah Olivia Bensen from SVU and Lenny Brisco from the originale would be a really entertaining team to watch

Stabler has to be part of it. Also McCoy, Novak, and Cabbot

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
if we're gonna be gay itt can we at least not break tables??

this is the problem w you people.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

i know almost nothing about law and order but still remember that (i think?) shes the hot one

theres also another one thats hot and has softer features that i also like

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Also married, wtf? I hope they have an open marriage.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
thats some serious concentration camp fetish going on for the handsome guy on the right

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Manny is the worst part of the entire show. If the writers are smart they will kill him in a drunk driving accident and have the moral be don't drink and drive. Gloria suffers severe depression and looks for affection elsewhere by becoming a nude model. Show is re-rated as TV-MA and we get to see some boobs.

All is well with the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Windows 98 posted:

Manny is the worst part of the entire show. If the writers are smart they will kill him in a drunk driving accident and have the moral be don't drink and drive. Gloria suffers severe depression and looks for affection elsewhere by becoming a nude model. Show is re-rated as TV-MA and we get to see some boobs.

All is well with the world.

i was with you until the part abt using a mothers grief of losing her child as an excuse to see her boobs

• Locked thread