Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Hi I have a BS in Food Science and Technology and for the last 3 years I've worked a hellish QA job in a food plant that manufactures chocolate and caramel. The good news is I :siren:got a new job:siren: as a full time Formulation and Sensory Scientist.

These next two weeks are gonna be pretty work light so figured I'd start a Food Science Questions thread because there is lots that people don't know about the food they eat. I know a lot about confectionery, but I also know resources where I can find your questions.

The biggest difference between me and a nutritionist
I have a degree :downsrim:

The biggest difference between me and a registered dietitian
Food Science and Nutrition Science are tightly linked but completely different fields of study with completely different philosophies and approaches on various problems. A food scientist is concerned with very different problems, and usually more with the actual functionality of the food instead of how a food affects ones health and well being. There is plenty of overlap, as a nutritionist and a food scientist are probably concerned with the degradation of a vitamin in a given product.

So ask me anything. I know a lot about various food myths and know what most of the food additives do in your food (and know processing aids that aren't listed :ssh:). I know some nutrition science questions, know a ton about allergens, and am training for a very unique Sensory science role in a few weeks! If you have any questions about a gross thing you heard about food, I'm sure I can verify that it is 100% true.

Ask away!

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
what is sensory science, anyway?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Tell us about unlisted processing aids, Bread. :tinfoil:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Please explain the mouse killing thing from work crew to me, I missed the joke. :saddowns:

Also it sounds like it definitely fits the theme of your thread here so yes, I'm actually pretty serious.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
1. Does red dye REALLY have an adverse effect on children, like causing them to be ridiculously hyper, or is that more just confirmation bias i.e. my kid ate a cupcake with red food coloring it can't be the sugar must be the food coloring!

2. What's one food that people really just shouldn't eat because it's so awful for them that holy poo poo you can't believe folks would willingly put it in their bodies? I bet it's soda.

3. If a batch of chocolate/caramel/whatever is slightly off QA standards but otherwise super fine to eat (like it's a little too runny or something), are employees allowed to take some before it gets destroyed, or does the whole batch just get ditched for legal reasons.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Women's Rights? posted:

2. What's one food that people really just shouldn't eat because it's so awful for them that holy poo poo you can't believe folks would willingly put it in their bodies? I bet it's soda.

I can answer that one, basically everything I eat.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

mailorder bees! posted:

what is sensory science, anyway?

It's the study of taste and scent. It's a big deal at a lot of food companies, because it takes something completely subjective and makes it objective. Most sensory programs have a team of trained panelists who taste product, rank them for basic tastes on a scale (which can be 1-3 or 1-15 depending on the method). They'll also evaluate hardness, chewiness, aftertaste, and the whole gamut of perceptions you get when you ingest a product. It has NOTHING to do with enjoyment of the food itself. That information can be used to reformulate and do all sorts of stuff.

Sensory science and consumer testing are usually separate but can be lumped together. Simple hedonistic "i like this or don't" testing is what most people think when they envision a sensory panel.

My new job is Sensory Science for pharmaceuticals, and formulating flavors to mask bitterness, saltiness, and all sorts of weird perceptions.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Tell us about unlisted processing aids, Bread. :tinfoil:

There's a butt load. The one I use the most is anti-foam which is really just silica at a small concentration to pop emulsions. Technically pesticides are considered processing aids as well.

Shugojin posted:

Please explain the mouse killing thing from work crew to me, I missed the joke. :saddowns:

Also it sounds like it definitely fits the theme of your thread here so yes, I'm actually pretty serious.

Its not joke. I killed many mice at work.

Pest control is the real deal in a manufacturing plant. Thats why theres FDA limits on mouse hair in some foods. Getting that poo poo under control was put in QAs court at my soon-to-be-old job.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Women's Rights? posted:

1. Does red dye REALLY have an adverse effect on children, like causing them to be ridiculously hyper, or is that more just confirmation bias i.e. my kid ate a cupcake with red food coloring it can't be the sugar must be the food coloring!

3. If a batch of chocolate/caramel/whatever is slightly off QA standards but otherwise super fine to eat (like it's a little too runny or something), are employees allowed to take some before it gets destroyed, or does the whole batch just get ditched for legal reasons.

1. I don't really know, but I know ADHD & RED 40 was a big deal with noted moron Joseph Mercola, so I'd be skeptical.

2. I mean there isn't anything that I'm aware of that is actively harmful for you. Lots of stuff is weird and gross, but not harmful if its a food product. Soda is bad for a number of reasons but mostly because it's liquid candy and people drink 2L of it a day. (There is some research to suggest the Caramel color in Cola is carcinogenic though!)

3. Depends on the company. I know a lot of companies will donate them to food banks, or let employees have them. We sell a lot of our bad caramel to a pig farmer :mrapig:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

There's a butt load. The one I use the most is anti-foam which is really just silica at a small concentration to pop emulsions. Technically pesticides are considered processing aids as well.

Silica is the stuff they use to absorb moisture, right? What's going on that's foaming that needs it?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Silica is the stuff they use to absorb moisture, right? What's going on that's foaming that needs it?

Silica is sand. Silica gel absorbs moisture.

E: Sorry to clarify there isn't literally sand in your food. It's a chemical additive derived from silicone oil, or some other oil to reduce or eliminate foam.

E2: Also this isn't completely unregulated. Processing aids have to be under a certain concentration to be unlisted. They have to be evaluated by the FDA before use as well.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 20, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
I'm going to ask a doozy: Is MSG bad for you?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Meatwave posted:

I'm going to ask a doozy: Is MSG bad for you?

There is pretty mixed reports. Controlled studies haven't been able to produce the supposed effects of MSG.

I think MSG produced the same hysteria that Gluten is experiencing, except that Gluten is an actual allergy.

E: and FWIW, it's added as a flavor. It makes things taste very meaty/savory.

Synathaesia
Jul 4, 2009

it's been a hard day's night
and I'd been workin' like a dog

Hey bread, big fan of your future endeavors to eradicate bubble gum flavoring in all areas of food and medicine.

What is your favorite food-related chemical reaction/interaction and why?

Why do people insist on saying grilling causes cancer? Can you confirm or deny that grilling is in fact a superior method of food preparation?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

A silly question I could just google but will instead ask you: is or was there ever a food coloring made out of insects/insect shells? I remember hearing that a couple times. It was for red, orange or yellow supposedly? and it was probably BS, but MAYBE NOT. Thanks Bread.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Synathaesia posted:

Hey bread, big fan of your future endeavors to eradicate bubble gum flavoring in all areas of food and medicine.

What is your favorite food-related chemical reaction/interaction and why?

Why do people insist on saying grilling causes cancer? Can you confirm or deny that grilling is in fact a superior method of food preparation?

I love the maillard reaction I guess?

Grilling does cause cancer. Oil heated at extreme temperatures produces acrylamide which is a known carcinogen. Anytime oil drips on the flame and you engulf your meat with fire, you're probably producing acrylamide. Be a baller and buy an IR Grill.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

A silly question I could just google but will instead ask you: is or was there ever a food coloring made out of insects/insect shells? I remember hearing that a couple times. It was for red, orange or yellow supposedly? and it was probably BS, but MAYBE NOT. Thanks Bread.

Natural Red food coloring yes. Cochineal Red. Some people are allergic to it.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Natural Red food coloring yes. Cochineal Red. Some people are allergic to it.

Wait, is this still in regular use, or I guess not because of the allergy? If I wanted to eat bug shells what foods would I look for.

Is cochineal red why my friend is allergic to boxed mac & cheese. They said that's what it was and I was never sure if it was true or not.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Wait, is this still in regular use, or I guess not because of the allergy? If I wanted to eat bug shells what foods would I look for.

Is cochineal red why my friend is allergic to boxed mac & cheese. They said that's what it was and I was never sure if it was true or not.

I don't think its in regular use anymore, at least not in food. It's possible your friend is allergic to cochineal! I have no idea if kraft/anyone uses it in mac and cheese. Its often called Carmine red.

E: Wikipedia says its in some varieties of cheddar cheese so, its possible!

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 20, 2014

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Grilling does cause cancer. Oil heated at extreme temperatures produces acrylamide which is a known carcinogen. Anytime oil drips on the flame and you engulf your meat with fire, you're probably producing acrylamide. Be a baller and buy an IR Grill.

There is no conclusive study that shows this, and if you are worried about cancer the consumption of red meat is the far bigger worry anyway.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

tsa posted:

There is no conclusive study that shows this, and if you are worried about cancer the consumption of red meat is the far bigger worry anyway.

Except that the formation of acrylamide during grilling is 100% a real thing. I guess I was a little hyperbolic (you're not gonna die of rear end cancer from a few burgers) but grilling does form a known carcinogen. E: Its specifically from the function of oil dripping onto the flame. Your veggie burger is probably ok.

Of course there are numerous ways to avoid this. A little Rosemary oil and/or marinating your meat in something rich in antioxidants helps a lot.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 20, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are "energy drinks" as terrible for you as I think they are?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

What's the deal with castoreum?

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Next Millenium Farms is a great place to start.

Synathaesia
Jul 4, 2009

The woman who sits next to me at work has recently pointed out that genistein, an isoflavone phytoestrogen contained in soy beans (as well as some other beans), is slowly causing the infertility of men in our country as soy usage in the country increases.

To quote her, "Did you know soy has hormones in it? I think it's estrogen, and now men can't have kids." (Carol, 2014)

Can you please comment on the veracity of these statements, so that I can feel validated in my lifelong avoidance of soy products?

Thanks, bread!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

Are "energy drinks" as terrible for you as I think they are?

I wouldn't call them nutritious, no

FadingChord posted:

What's the deal with castoreum?

Its a beaver anal gland that tastes like strawberry and isn't in regular use anymore

Synathaesia posted:

The woman who sits next to me at work has recently pointed out that genistein, an isoflavone phytoestrogen contained in soy beans (as well as some other beans), is slowly causing the infertility of men in our country as soy usage in the country increases.

To quote her, "Did you know soy has hormones in it? I think it's estrogen, and now men can't have kids." (Carol, 2014)

Can you please comment on the veracity of these statements, so that I can feel validated in my lifelong avoidance of soy products?

Thanks, bread!

Theres a lot of research on phytoestrogens. Whether or not you're getting them in your diet is one thing because your biggest soy consumption is from Soy Lecithin which is in literally everything. I'm not 100% familliar with isoflavones but this is a good resource probably . Idk about infertility though.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Theres a lot of research on phytoestrogens. Whether or not you're getting them in your diet is one thing because your biggest soy consumption is from Soy Lecithin which is in literally everything. I'm not 100% familliar with isoflavones but this is a good resource probably . Idk about infertility though.

I would worry more about ground water or plastic's effects on hormone levels than soy additives. Dairy farms and unused birth control contaminate water supplies with estrogens and BPA is still frighteningly common. I don't think a tablespoon of soy filler every other meal will make a man go infertile

Should I never eat a Honey Bun? That paragraph of ingredients is terrifying and it coats my mouth in something awful, but it is such a guilty pleasure

Also, what, if any chemicals would you be entirely uncomfortable working with?

Arus
Aug 23, 2003

So what is the difference between sweet potatoes and regular potatoes anyway, in terms of like why one's better for you than the other.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Should I never eat a Honey Bun? That paragraph of ingredients is terrifying and it coats my mouth in something awful, but it is such a guilty pleasure

To this I say

and

quote:

Also, what, if any chemicals would you be entirely uncomfortable working with?

Entirely uncomfortable with? None really. I struggle to think of anything that is really off limits for me.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Arus posted:

So what is the difference between sweet potatoes and regular potatoes anyway, in terms of like why one's better for you than the other.

Yams/Sweet potatos have a lower energy density but lots of beta carotene and other micro nutrients. Regular potatoes are just starch and more starch.

Synathaesia
Jul 4, 2009

What's the current tech on taste buds and their distribution on the tongue? Do you take specifically this into consideration when sampling flavored drugs, to better isolate certain flavors?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I'm looking at possibly doing a research project into whether it's possible to improve the viability of commercially available probiotics (and hopefully by extension any immunomodulatory effect) with simple food additives. I've been looking mainly at carboxymethylcellulose and inulin, but inulin seems to have some kind of immunomodulatory effect on its own anyway. I'm no food scientist so basically my question is could you tell me what indigestible polymers you can get away with putting on a food label might be helpful in smuggling bacteria into The Human rear end? Thanks

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'm looking at possibly doing a research project into whether it's possible to improve the viability of commercially available probiotics (and hopefully by extension any immunomodulatory effect) with simple food additives. I've been looking mainly at carboxymethylcellulose and inulin, but inulin seems to have some kind of immunomodulatory effect on its own anyway. I'm no food scientist so basically my question is could you tell me what indigestible polymers you can get away with putting on a food label might be helpful in smuggling bacteria into The Human rear end? Thanks

Lol I have no idea

Synathaesia posted:

What's the current tech on taste buds and their distribution on the tongue? Do you take specifically this into consideration when sampling flavored drugs, to better isolate certain flavors?

So far the company has explained it as tasting a small amount of the drug in a clinical setting with at least 5 other people. They're all trained in Sensory, so they can identify tastes and strengths and associate those with a number everyone can agree on. They don't do any flavor compounding or isolation so they just flavor the drugs to alleviate the various terrible tastes the drug has, which is useful for stuff like pediatrics.

Also the whole "this part of your tongue tastes this" is pretty debunked.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Lol I have no idea

you're dead to me, bread man

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

What do you think about the gluten free craze?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ms. Happiness posted:

What do you think about the gluten free craze?

Its stupid. There are people who are really allergic to gluten and I have sympathy for them. Gluten intolerance has been pretty soundly debunked, and was based on pretty speculative evidence anyways. Any perceived health benefit from cutting gluten out of your diet is probably from calorie reduction and reduction of carbohydrates.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Another sensory scientist here... Just got a job for a huge wine company where I'll be leading their expert panel and training people to become wine experts, and drinking and spitting lots of wine at work. Before that I worked with men's body wash. Lots of cool stuff going on with sensory science and I recommend getting into the field if you want a comfortable corporate gig doing somewhat interesting stuff, big corporations love sensory.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Jerome Louis posted:

Another sensory scientist here... Just got a job for a huge wine company where I'll be leading their expert panel and training people to become wine experts, and drinking and spitting lots of wine at work. Before that I worked with men's body wash. Lots of cool stuff going on with sensory science and I recommend getting into the field if you want a comfortable corporate gig doing somewhat interesting stuff, big corporations love sensory.

Whoa, what do they do for sensory testing shampoo?

I assume Wine tasting is pretty regimented like coffee cupping but Im guessing the tests you do are much different. I'm going to be doing lots of profiles, and the occasional triangle test.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
How does one get trained in "sensory" like that? I work as a bartender with high end and craft spirits, I'm a certified spirit specialist and working on my second level Sommelier and almost have a BA in Enology. I think my palate is naturally pretty dang good (I'm pretty sensitive to smells) and I've spent the last eight years training it. Would there be a use for my skills in your fields? What can I do to develop these skills more?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I mean I was trained by someone using "Sensory Evaluation Techniques" by Meilgaard, Civille and Carr. It was a consultant who does sensory and has specific sensory training seminars and yada yada yada. I was trained on the company dollar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

If you burn your tongue do you have to call out sick?

• Locked thread