Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Did you do it yet, OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
stiull kickin! :sotw:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
There were a few times in college where I considered getting clipped by a campus bus. Not to die but so I could get hurt enough to sue and not have to worry about money.

Actually, a lot of my "suicidal" thoughts boil down to "how could I turn this into a multimillion dollar lawsuit?"

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Supposedly suicidal urges (jumping in front of trains, jumping off high places, et al) are a normal part of the human mental process. I never read any description of why they were normal, or any suggestion of how they might have developed as an evolutionary advantage (or remained a remnant of a more primitive human ancestor). I suppose just because of how common these thoughts are, and how they pass, they are held as normal?

It's called high place phenomenon, there's a link to a study in that article if you're curious, but basically researchers think "people misinterpret the instinctual safety signal, and conclude they must have felt an urge to leap" and that we tend to read too much into the intentions behind instinctual behaviors. Generally when people are given the option between acknowledging instinctual behaviors or navel-gazing we choose navel-gazing.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Trixie Hardcore posted:

It's called high place phenomenon, there's a link to a study in that article if you're curious, but basically researchers think "people misinterpret the instinctual safety signal, and conclude they must have felt an urge to leap" and that we tend to read too much into the intentions behind instinctual behaviors. Generally when people are given the option between acknowledging instinctual behaviors or navel-gazing we choose navel-gazing.

i dun think so these scientists just made up their own explanation which isn't any better than yours or mine AND ANYWAYS my experience does not match "oh i suddenly backed up" but instead a vivid set of imagiantions about what itwould be like to jump in front of the train how quickly i would die the feeling of dying and the consequences

quote:

Pauline Wallin, a psychologist in private practice in Camp Hill, Pa., thinks Hames might be onto something, but also suggests that we think about leaping from a high place for the same reason 13-year-girls like going to Halloween haunted houses -- for the thrill, and as practice “for not buckling under to fear.”

a diff interpreataion from a difference scientist!

n ALSO we might thnk about jumping because of our curiosity WHTA WOULD HAPPEN IF I DID well it's a one way road to find out but i bet it it if it wasn't then lots of ppl would try and then "respawn"

thsis curiosity has BVIOUS evolutionary benefits

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysvn2JDzVw8

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

nomadologique posted:

i dun think so these scientists just made up their own explanation which isn't any better than yours or mine AND ANYWAYS my experience does not match "oh i suddenly backed up" but instead a vivid set of imagiantions about what itwould be like to jump in front of the train how quickly i would die the feeling of dying and the consequences

a diff interpreataion from a difference scientist!

n ALSO we might thnk about jumping because of our curiosity WHTA WOULD HAPPEN IF I DID well it's a one way road to find out but i bet it it if it wasn't then lots of ppl would try and then "respawn"

thsis curiosity has BVIOUS evolutionary benefits

get help nomad

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

nomadologique posted:

The urge and our brain's brief processing of that urge is the topic of that study and is separate from your suicidal gore fantasies. You will probably have to form your own scientific companion study on that.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
i'm glad you decided not to kill yourself; that's generally a good action to take. if the thoughts and urges are constant and overwhelming please get help. i'm not saying get medicated but at least see a therapist.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

topic of the study my nuts! they literally asked ppl if they ever have the urge to jump, then they ask ppl if they are depressed, then they ask ppl if they are anxiety sensitive, then they "conclude" o it must have been a survival urge and not a hundred other explanations i could think up in an hour

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Iggy Koopa posted:

is today get drunk and post a terribly thought out gbs thread day or something?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

relax and :justpost:

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

why do i bother to care? the brain parasyte attaches to a brainstem, and lays spores. its language is a series of illogical impulses. its fruiting body when in season is like candy in a pinata. tell me about your diet.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

wow that sounds pretty cool n reminds me of those kooky fungus that cause ants to climb really high up and then turn into mushroom pillars

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

nomadologique posted:

wow that sounds pretty cool n reminds me of those kooky fungus that cause ants to climb really high up and then turn into mushroom pillars

cordyceps

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

nomadologique posted:

topic of the study my nuts! they literally asked ppl if they ever have the urge to jump, then they ask ppl if they are depressed, then they ask ppl if they are anxiety sensitive, then they "conclude" o it must have been a survival urge and not a hundred other explanations i could think up in an hour

I'm not arguing against the likelihood that you probably wanted to kill yourself and that it's probably the best life choice for you to make.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i'm high on life trix so high i let my imagnation RUN WILD sometimes like a bronco an untamed wild stallion

kickin in my breast shakin its head its mane flowing in the wind the orange sun setting low low low over the distant horizon the sky as big as my dreams and my heart thud thudding

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

srsly tho that is either (a) bad science or (b) bad science journalism bc i can tgell they used the JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS mat

"haha we posit maybe thi sis why cuz it's an explanation i came up with that's logically and intuitively possible but there's literally no evidence this is actually what's happenign" --> "here is the explanation for said phenomenon"

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d66_1413508309
Haha, he got boned

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

didnt read thread just want to say do it

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fake and you should train yourself

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

fyodor posted:

fake and you should train yourself

fyodor bud i know u get me man u wrote some rad boox

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-bU8dHwSFo

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

I thought about being on a spaceship the other day and we were boarded by bodysnatcher pod people vbut I seduced my own double and together we taught both the crew and the aliens to set aside their differences through the power of love.

Im already seeing a therapist and am already medicated

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyr472-W9mg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

RevSyd posted:

I thought about being on a spaceship the other day and we were boarded by bodysnatcher pod people vbut I seduced my own double and together we taught both the crew and the aliens to set aside their differences through the power of love.

Im already seeing a therapist and am already medicated

:gizz:

• Locked thread