Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I haven't seen any objective comparison of the two here yet in either thread and as a gamer it might be beneficial to hear from those who play these games why they enjoy one over the other.

Heck, maybe you enjoy both! If so tell us why and if there are any strategies that carry over between the two games. Looking forward to some good talk about mechanics and helpful hints for our fellow gamers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
im gay

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Both of these games afflicted me with terminal depression, OP.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Rise of the Immortals, OP

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Rise of the Immortals, OP

What's that?

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Dota and LoL are team games. It comes down to what kind of friends you have. If they're more casual, LoL is probably the way to go. If they're willing to get serious about it, try Dota.

Just kidding. If you had friends you wouldn't be asking this loving question. Video games are for children.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Macavity posted:

Dota and LoL are team games. It comes down to what kind of friends you have. If they're more casual, LoL is probably the way to go. If they're willing to get serious about it, try Dota.

Just kidding. If you had friends you wouldn't be asking this loving question. Video games are for children.

Please respect gaming and the choices gamers make.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Widestancer posted:

What's that?

http://www.petroglyphgames.com/battleforgraxia

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

All mobas are unfun

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Smite is the best FARTS.

Also:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

All mobas are unfun

Why?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I enjoy dota with my friends because teamwork and co op is fun

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Demigod is the one true moba

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

smite is okay

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Adventure time battle party op

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It seems like several companies are trying to get in on this "MOBA Madness" as I like to call it. How many of these Johnny come lately games are any good?

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
this thread is going places also im gay

to answer the question the people who created/run league are awful ideaman who tried to gently caress over DOTA multiple times(Pendragon being the biggest megashill, more on that later maybe) THEY'RE BOTH GREAT MAN

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

this thread is going places also im gay

to answer the question the people who created/run league are awful ideaman who tried to gently caress over DOTA multiple times(Pendragon being the biggest megashill, more on that later maybe) THEY'RE BOTH GREAT MAN

I'm glad that there are so many LGBTQQA posters here and that you are sharing your input.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't played either for a long time but imo:

DotA is faster paced, the whole team will often roam around even right in the beginning of the game, strategy is more flexible

LoL is not as fast as DotA, afaik stacking armor/MR/health is still popular in the meta. Strategy is fairly rigid in that people follow the meta and don't stray from it unless they are bad or they really know what they're doing (1 top, 1 mid, 2 bot, 1 jungle, 90% of the time).

DotA has a few features that are more 'complicated', such as turn rate (heros have different turn rates, you usually have to be facing whatever you are attacking or casting at). No recall home (unless you buy a town portal scroll) but you can get a courier to run items for you.

Although they are both mobas, they are different. It's hard to say which is objectively better because it comes down to preference. If you like faster paced play with lots of kills and some more complicated mechanics, DotA is good. LoL is very streamlined and user friendly so a lot of people prefer that.

But really MOBAs are awful though.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Widestancer posted:

I'm glad that there are so many LGBTQQA posters here and that you are sharing your input.
yea no problem

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

I haven't played either for a long time but imo:

DotA is faster paced, the whole team will often roam around even right in the beginning of the game, strategy is more flexible

LoL is not as fast as DotA, afaik stacking armor/MR/health is still popular in the meta. Strategy is fairly rigid in that people follow the meta and don't stray from it unless they are bad or they really know what they're doing (1 top, 1 mid, 2 bot, 1 jungle, 90% of the time).

DotA has a few features that are more 'complicated', such as turn rate (heros have different turn rates, you usually have to be facing whatever you are attacking or casting at)

Although they are both mobas, they are different. It's hard to say which is objectively better because it comes down to preference. If you like faster paced play with lots of kills and some more complicated mechanics, DotA is good. LoL is very streamlined and user friendly so a lot of people prefer that.

But really MOBAs are awful though.

Thanks for the input!

Why are MOBA's awful?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Well LoL is owned by an evil Chinese corporation hellbent on stealing your precious dollars for their communist regime while Dota is owned by noted Videogame Messiah and American Patriot Gabe Newell.

So you tell me OP, why do you hate America?

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's Dota.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Just quickly, Dota’s free champion rooster is a bad thing. The fact that you have to buy a champion means you will actually spend time learning them rather than having the ability to play any champion at any time. I have played both games for many years and just find LoL’s learning curve to be better, it’s community to be better and just overall more fun to play. In regards to which will win, I don’t think there needs to be a winner. It can just be like rugby union and rugby league, very similar games with slightly different rules to cater to slightly different audiences.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

lmao at anyone who thinks turn rates are ever really relevant or 'complicated'

also i'm just waiting for gigantic to come out

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

LoL stands for Laugh out Loud and I think we could all use a little more laughter in our lives.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
MOBAs are awful because depending on 9 other people to play and either not rage, leave, or just be terrible is an exercise in frustration most of the time.

Plus they are really popular and usually free, so you get a ton of people playing (especially in LoL's case) and as such there's a wide range of people to pull from and a lot of the time there are toxic as gently caress players. They will rage at you, quit because they aren't getting their way (wrecking the game for your whole team), make stupid mistakes.

Oh, also DotA is easier to come back from whereas I feel like LoL games are usually (not always though) determined in the first 15-20 mins of the game and then you've got to play out the rest of the game knowing you are going to lose unless the winning team fucks up badly. It seems to me like it is easier to rally and come back in DotA.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

also i'm just waiting for gigantic to come out

It's just one more thing to worry about at higher level play, that's all. It's an example of DotA as a game having more mechanics to be aware of.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

titaniumone posted:

Just quickly, Dota’s free champion rooster is a bad thing. The fact that you have to buy a champion means you will actually spend time learning them rather than having the ability to play any champion at any time. I have played both games for many years and just find LoL’s learning curve to be better, it’s community to be better and just overall more fun to play. In regards to which will win, I don’t think there needs to be a winner. It can just be like rugby union and rugby league, very similar games with slightly different rules to cater to slightly different audiences.
quality RPS post

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Ojetor posted:

Well LoL is owned by an evil Chinese corporation hellbent on stealing your precious dollars for their communist regime while Dota is owned by noted Videogame Messiah and American Patriot Gabe Newell.

Gaben is a brony so yeah I'd rather give my hard earned dollars to some commies than fund his Fluttershy body pillow collection.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Angry Walrus posted:

Gaben is a brony so yeah I'd rather give my hard earned dollars to some commies than fund his Fluttershy body pillow collection.
nice av shill

speaking of shilling, about pendragon: he suggested they change Razor to Razer for $$$ and also shut down the biggest dota forum and left a note on the front page telling people to play LoL while taking the champion concepts forum ideas and making them into some of the first laughoutloud champions gud poo poo

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I find it important to advertise for the game that isn't run by a brony.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
pre:
████████▄     ▄████████    ▄████████    ▄████████ ███▄▄▄▄      ▄████████    ▄████████  
███   ▀███   ███    ███   ███    ███   ███    ███ ███▀▀▀██▄   ███    ███   ███    ███  
███    ███   ███    █▀    ███    █▀    ███    █▀  ███   ███   ███    █▀    ███    █▀   
███    ███  ▄███▄▄▄      ▄███▄▄▄      ▄███▄▄▄     ███   ███   ███         ▄███▄▄▄      
███    ███ ▀▀███▀▀▀     ▀▀███▀▀▀     ▀▀███▀▀▀     ███   ███ ▀███████████ ▀▀███▀▀▀      
███    ███   ███    █▄    ███          ███    █▄  ███   ███          ███   ███    █▄   
███   ▄███   ███    ███   ███          ███    ███ ███   ███    ▄█    ███   ███    ███  
████████▀    ██████████   ███          ██████████  ▀█   █▀   ▄████████▀    ██████████  

▄██████▄     ▄████████          ███        ▄█    █▄       ▄████████                   
███    ███   ███    ███      ▀█████████▄   ███    ███     ███    ███                   
███    ███   ███    █▀          ▀███▀▀██   ███    ███     ███    █▀                    
███    ███  ▄███▄▄▄              ███   ▀  ▄███▄▄▄▄███▄▄  ▄███▄▄▄                       
███    ███ ▀▀███▀▀▀              ███     ▀▀███▀▀▀▀███▀  ▀▀███▀▀▀                       
███    ███   ███                 ███       ███    ███     ███    █▄                    
███    ███   ███                 ███       ███    ███     ███    ███                   
 ▀██████▀    ███                ▄████▀     ███    █▀      ██████████                   

▄████████ ███▄▄▄▄    ▄████████  ▄█     ▄████████ ███▄▄▄▄       ███        ▄████████ 
  ███    ███ ███▀▀▀██▄ ███    ███ ███    ███    ███ ███▀▀▀██▄ ▀█████████▄   ███    ███ 
  ███    ███ ███   ███ ███    █▀  ███▌   ███    █▀  ███   ███    ▀███▀▀██   ███    █▀  
  ███    ███ ███   ███ ███        ███▌  ▄███▄▄▄     ███   ███     ███   ▀   ███        
▀███████████ ███   ███ ███        ███▌ ▀▀███▀▀▀     ███   ███     ███     ▀███████████ 
  ███    ███ ███   ███ ███    █▄  ███    ███    █▄  ███   ███     ███              ███ 
  ███    ███ ███   ███ ███    ███ ███    ███    ███ ███   ███     ███        ▄█    ███ 
  ███    █▀   ▀█   █▀  ████████▀  █▀     ██████████  ▀█   █▀     ▄████▀    ▄████████▀  

i hope this turns out

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I remember some characters feeling like poo poo to use because of turn rates, but its usually auto-attack speed that's a bigger deal.

quote:

MOBAs are awful because depending on 9 other people to play and either not rage, leave, or just be terrible is an exercise in frustration most of the time.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

smite is okay

autismal detected.

git 'em, boys

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Tides of Blood is the best. Give me duke leto icegod.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ojetor posted:

I hope no one hates America because they make good hot dogs (haha) there.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

someone post those videos of the guy playing LoL and not following the meta, even though he actually knows what he's doing and wins games, and the rest of the players scream death and rape threats the entire time

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Prodigal T-REX posted:

I think it's Dota.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Widestancer posted:

Thanks for the input!

Why are MOBA's awful?

I would argue that they're not uniquely awful, and that you see similar sorts of negativity in other games that have a predominantly "public group" model (ala World of Warcraft). The big difference for MOBAs tends to be a consequence of two factors:

1) Games have fixed "minimum" times before players can effectively leave that game and go play a different one. Even in a game like DotA 2, where there's no surrender option available, there are mechanisms in place that punish people for leaving games too frequently, thus encouraging people to stay for the entire duration.

2) The opposing team is able to accumulate a great deal of power over the course of the game if your team is doing badly, such that, regardless of your skill, you aren't able to defeat them all without an absurd amount of skill or luck. Compare this to, say, a modern FPS, where your opponents don't gradually grow more powerful each time they kill one of your teammates. Thus, even if your team is behind in points/objectives, you always remain viable against them in combat, where the same cannot be said in a MOBA.

These two factors mean that, if you end up with a team (or even just one or two) bad teammates compared to the enemy team, you're effectively stuck in a losing or highly frustrating situation for a set period of time, and there's a limited amount that you can do to bring the game back after things start going downhill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Uh Batmoba is the best because you can play as batman this isn't even a competition

• Locked thread