Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Angry Walrus posted:

I find it important to advertise for the game that isn't run by a brony.

what about the ones that are played by bronies

oh wait that's all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

icantfindaname posted:

autismal detected.

git 'em, boys

i said OKAY

my true love is demigod

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Smite is good as poo poo and probably the most well-designed MOBA out there as far as its core concepts go.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

speaking of shilling, about pendragon: he suggested they change Razor to Razer for $$$ and also shut down the biggest dota forum and left a note on the front page telling people to play LoL while taking the champion concepts forum ideas and making them into some of the first laughoutloud champions gud poo poo

He also rage-banned someone for using the random button in a game. Keep in mind his title at Riot is "Director of Community Relations".

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

How do we know that Gabe Newell is a brony?

And that the League of Legends developers are horrible people?

Many people reading this thread (myself included) don't know this stuff. Those who are wiser could you impart your wisdom?

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Ojetor posted:

He also rage-banned someone for using the random button in a game. Keep in mind his title at Riot is "Director of Community Relations".
top tier stuff

quote from a guy when pendragon posted an archived link to the dota-allstars forum on the epic website REDDIT

"Oh thanks, THREE YEARS LATER. Oh well, now I can finally prove that I was the creator of: Teemo & Rammus
And that your Dev team went through the DotA hero/ability/item suggestions and RAPED it for ideas for your game. Thanks so much for that. A little credit would have been nice, but instead you took the forums down so no one would know what you did, and even if they did know, they'd have no proof. Sad thing is, you were always nice to me. We'd play games with DevilsUrethra, ReposoEternal, GranDgrant, and a slew of other fun folks. Then you turned feral on us when you decided to make LoL. As petty as it may seem, some of us TDA and DotA1 Beta members know everything you actually did and have a long memory. There are a handful of us that know exactly how hard you really did try and screw Ice, and how hard you screwed the DA staff over. Now that we finally have access to the archives, we have the proof we need. Most people think you're a dick now, just wait till we start plastering the screenshots of the old forums where you plundered and pillaged our ideas and hard work for your game, and gave no credit or love back in return."

new thread concept: what's worse, playing MOBAs or the people who make them

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Widestancer posted:

And that the League of Legends developers are horrible people?

A number of LoL developers/designers are former eve online developers/designers and so have proven themselves to be able to make a grindy, unfun game and are thus horrible people.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

I'm a League of Legends player and I would recommend it if you're looking for a good time with fun and friends (up to 5). Hopefully, I'll be seeing all of you on Summoner's Rift!

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
shoutout to Riot for taking a really bad dev/CM out of WoW props to my R I O T B O Y S

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Ojetor posted:

The greatest of community relations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Dota has much better sound design, so it's dota for me.

e: don't play it, though, it's really bad for you.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
After I played LoL for a while I tried playing Dota and it just confused the gently caress out of me. I'm sure it's a great game but I sure as hell aren't going to invest my time in two of these sinkholes.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Vermain posted:

Smite is good as poo poo and probably the most well-designed MOBA out there as far as its core concepts go.

I've heard this as well; what makes its design good?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

I enjoy dota with my friends because teamwork and co op is fun

this is bullshit

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Widestancer posted:

it's like a third person brawler but w large health bars and only 5 attacks

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

At my last apartment one of my room mates who was 19 would play LoL long into the night, talking into his headset.

One time he was trying to talk to me about it, and I told him I had tried 'Dota' when it was on Warcraft 3, but he said he has never heard of Dota. I thought that was weird.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

Compare this to, say, a modern FPS, where your opponents don't gradually grow more powerful each time they kill one of your teammates. Thus, even if your team is behind in points/objectives, you always remain viable against them in combat, where the same cannot be said in a MOBA.
Killstreak bullshit in CoDgames refutes this but it's still easy to just leave a lobby where you're getting dunked on and get a new game in like 10 seconds without penalty.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q3GhThEj1A

its this one sorry to all the other, bad idiots posting about their terrible mobas especially League of Legends and "Defense of the Ancients" so called because you have to defend an ancient wc3 mod by aggressively whining about other, better MOBAs such as Age of Heroes

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
There have been 69723 posts made by Widestancer, an average of 340.31 posts per day, since registering on Mar 29, 2014.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
also Sacraboar was pretty good and Super Monday Night Combat could have been good if the creeps didnt die so fast

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
League of legends is better. Dota 2 is just a rip off.

League released in June 2010 and dota 2 didn't release until like 2 years later.

Dota 2 uses a lot of content from world of warcraft too because the developers are lazy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MrBims posted:

There have been 69723 posts made by Widestancer, an average of 340.31 posts per day, since registering on Mar 29, 2014.

Congratulations to Widestancer on their 69420th post.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

DotA, because DotA doesn't have rune pages

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Angry Walrus posted:

Gaben is a brony

Is this true?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

frajaq posted:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

frajaq posted:

riot games: if u dont have runes... lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrBims posted:

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
posting in a widestancer thread

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

mango sentinel posted:

Killstreak bullshit in CoDgames refutes this but it's still easy to just leave a lobby where you're getting dunked on and get a new game in like 10 seconds without penalty.

Also non-modern FPS's tended to revolve around airstrafing around collecting all the armor/good weapons in a circuit so whoever got ahead tended to stay ahead if they were good

TDM in general should also tend to snowball as well since the losing team is going to spawn split up, the winning team would be together if anyone actually took it seriously.

CS:GO certainly gives the winning team an advantage and sometimes the losing team will just intentionally not try that hard to win a round in order to save enough resources to catch up

That stupid boring rear end Tank Simulator game for people who like cataloguing trains also tends to revolve around first shrapnel from what I've seen

Science and Industry, the best FPS of all time, basically straight up had an RTS like ramping mechanic

So basically every FPS game except for maybe Team Fortress and some other stuff has snowballing of a kind and whoever posted that they dont is dumb and fat

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I'll go with the one that is literally free over the one that expects you to grind for months and/or payout the rear end to unlock characters and simply reach a level statistical playing field.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Widestancer posted:

It's a long, boring list. To try and boil it down:

1) Good overall design with regards to itemization and character roles. With a few exceptions (Mercury, Hercules), each of the characters has a strong definition of what they do (resulting from their broad "role," such as Guardian, Assassin, etc.) and tools that support this vision, while still allowing flexibility within that role. The way in which Nemesis and Bakasura play is very different, but they still fulfill the function of being an Assassin well and never feel like they're stepping wildly outside of their bounds.

The itemization is simplified compared to a lot of other MOBAs, with the items available depending on whether you deal Physical or Magical damage. This allows for them to fulfill the vision of each role more easily, since you can more strictly define what particular role gets what items. Their Summoner Spell equivalents (just called "actives") are things you buy in game, which makes early-game plays easier to make and which also allows them to open up the field for the actives a lot more (since you don't have to worry about something like Teleport being immensely powerful early due to its high cost and long recharge at low levels, meaning that someone needs to invest a lot into it if it's part of their strategy).

2) Much better map design. The map is perfectly symmetrical, so there's no weird advantages gained from being on one side or the other. The "jungle" has a lot of smaller, diverging paths, making blind spots more common, which makes it more difficult to completely cover it in wards.

3) A better overall control scheme. This is debatable, but I prefer the third-person control scheme over the isometric/RTS style of other MOBAs. It lends itself better to the action-oriented nature of most MOBAs, and it allows them to implement things like all attacks being a skillshot (which creates more opportunities for outplays beyond things like clever cooldown usage).

4) As mentioned above, there's no rune pages or anything like that, and there's a "Founder's Pack" you can buy for $40-ish that will unlock every current and future character forever. Vastly preferable to League's system, frankly.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Angry Walrus posted:

Gaben is a brony so yeah I'd rather give my hard earned dollars to some commies than fund his Fluttershy body pillow collection.

You better watch the gently caress out when you insult Gaben or he'll cut you.

Walkin Goon
Apr 4, 2011
I like hats and stuff

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

A Stupid Baby posted:

also Sacraboar was pretty good and Super Monday Night Combat could have been good if the creeps didnt die so fast

I like Super MNC because it combines the best parts of MOBAs and shooters, plus it comes with a bitcoin miner.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oh, I forgot: Smite also has Siege, a vastly cooler + better map mode compared to the standard MOBA map.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fooley posted:

I like Super MNC because it combines the best parts of MOBAs and shooters, plus it comes with a bitcoin miner.

Super MNC was fun, shame it didn't catch on

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Dota 2 is only free because nobody would actually pay money to play it. If it didn't have TF2 tie-in hats nobody would even play it at all.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

MrBims posted:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

its 69730 now tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
:justpost:

• Locked thread