Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Widestancer posted:

Why are MOBA's awful?

You are stuck with the worst of humanity for around 40 minutes. Even outside of the game it is constant torrent of bullshit, where you need to study every elaborate strategy to get better, but that doesn't matter, most players are so awful these strategies won't work on them and they will win without any effort whatsoever.

Oh yeah, and it's all about imaginary penis points, and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Imaginary penis points are a powerful force.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Why would you ever play a moba without a group of friends. If you even have to interact with the community then you're playing it wrong.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vermain posted:

Oh, I forgot: Smite also has Siege, a vastly cooler + better map mode compared to the standard MOBA map.

No one gives a poo poo about smite.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Widestancer posted:

Is the TF2 ish Hat system of Dota any better or worse than Riot's model? Why or why not?

It is slightly better because everything that affects gameplay in TF2 can be gained for free. It is still pretty bad compared to Dota's system though.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!

Widestancer posted:

Tell me about Bloodline Champions. It's good to hear nice design features sometimes in a forum that can be very negative.

No laning, no minions, straight PVP with really good controls.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

the best part is Widestancer is actually really good looking and hot and still managed to post 340 times a day
pics

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Observe Me posted:

No laning, no minions, straight PVP with really good controls.

Also a cool aesthetic with a bunch of versatile classes that still felt unique. Then its pricing model unfortunately went to poo poo and they added lol-style runes and masteries (though they were at least slightly less bad than lol's).

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 20, 2014

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Kelp Plankton posted:

i enjoyed super monday night combat a lot and wish it had stuck around longer and gotten improved as a whole instead of the developer focusing on queue splitting and monetization

i also enjoy heroes of the storm since it is focused on fighting other players and short cooldowns and less technical stuff like last hitting or denying. but most importantly. xp is shared across your whole team. games where you are competing against your teammates and also the other team are not fun to me. competitive pve or competitive pvp but not both thanks

MNC was good and SMNC was hot garbage. HOTS sucks too. Christ you're all dumb.

Smite woulda been cool if it didn't have a lovely jungle and ridiclous LoL skins like ghetto baby god.

Also LoL remade the best hero into stupid grimdark poo poo.

Also Dota has taken like five years to port already made heroes.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If anyone in here uses the report button they're dumb.

Some good feedback and it's proving very educational so far!

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
The only thing I got from this entire discussion is that LoL is PlayStation All Stars Battle Royal and Dota is Street Fighter.

There is no point making a game in a competitive genre and then taking out all aspect of depth. There's a reason that Dota is able to come to the scene 2 years after League did and STILL manage to pull a playerbase from the titan that is LoL.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

hobocrunch posted:

The only thing I got from this entire discussion is that LoL is PlayStation All Stars Battle Royal and Dota is Street Fighter.

There is no point making a game in a competitive genre and then taking out all aspect of depth. There's a reason that Dota is able to come to the scene 2 years after League did and STILL manage to pull a playerbase from the titan that is LoL.

What defines depth in a MOBA?

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Who is the worst MOBA poster? Don't say it's me or take the credit for yourself.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Widestancer posted:

If anyone in here uses the report button they're dumb.

Some good feedback and it's proving very educational so far!

I reported you and your thread.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

MOBA wars are the new console wars, and I gotta say, I'm loving every loving second of it.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
You can't milk those

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Comrayn posted:

Who is the worst MOBA poster? Don't say it's me or take the credit for yourself.

A tight 4-way race between Tcjimbo, Frook, Sky 13 lazer, and that warchicken guy in the LoL thread.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Widestancer posted:

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/dota2.gamepedia.com/7/7b/Enig_ability_black_03.mp3

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
Dota is more ridiculously complicated and the heroes are more varied, which is basically why I like it over League. Also, denying creeps makes the enemy really mad, and then they shout at you in chat which is hilarious.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Comrayn posted:

LGW

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
One game is owned by china and the other is a real american game. :911:

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

okay, show's over, time to ban all these dota playing fuckers

Phasoms
Jan 27, 2004

<GLOMP>
HOTS probably gonna be open beta after Blizzcon, prepare your laughtracks boys.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

hobocrunch posted:

the difference is that street fighter is a good game and dota/league is terrible, unplayable garbage for autists and the unemployed

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

Also a cool aesthetic with a bunch of versatile classes that still felt unique. Then its pricing model unfortunately went to poo poo and they added lol-style runes and masteries (though they were at least slightly less bad than lol's).

They were still pretty loving bad. RIP Bloodline Champions, you were too beautiful for this world.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I like to play Mario and Mario 2, op

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Widestancer posted:

I haven't seen any objective comparison of the two here yet in either thread and as a gamer it might be beneficial to hear from those who play these games why they enjoy one over the other.

Heck, maybe you enjoy both! If so tell us why and if there are any strategies that carry over between the two games. Looking forward to some good talk about mechanics and helpful hints for our fellow gamers!

Lol is better.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Bazinga!

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Imagine if singsing got banned

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HoN is the king of MOBAs, idiots.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Widestancer posted:

Imaginary penis points are a powerful force.

I am incredibly homosexual and would recommend everyone invest in the acquisition of penis points. In fact, I hope sincerely that "penis points" replace gold as the unit of currency in both LoL and Dota.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

On the other hand, dota still doesn't have all the heroes after twenty years out of beta...

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

HoN is the king of MOBAs, idiots.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
The best game is strife, the first 2nd Generation MOBA, which has taken away toxic game elements such as competing for farm with allies and all chatting. Also why can't I enable my signature in awful app???

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

MrBims posted:

There have been 69723 posts made by Widestancer, an average of 340.31 posts per day, since registering on Mar 29, 2014.

holy poo poo!!!!!!!!!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling
One thing I 'like' about Dota 2 is it's still got a load of weird quirks in the client and a general lack of QA, like there's no standardization for how things are explained in tooltips for example. Or the 'accept match' button sometimes doesn't work and needs a few clicks. Even though unlike the Warcraft 3 mod the client is specifically built for Dota there are a ton of these seams showing where it seems like valve don't really give a poo poo about the whole thing feeling super polished. In that sense it keeps the 'my friend's eccentric dad made this in the garage' spirit of the original Warcraft 3 mod very much alive

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Widestancer posted:

Antimage