Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I haven't seen any objective comparison of the two here yet in either thread and as a gamer it might be beneficial to hear from those who play these games why they enjoy one over the other.

Heck, maybe you enjoy both! If so tell us why and if there are any strategies that carry over between the two games. Looking forward to some good talk about mechanics and helpful hints for our fellow gamers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Rise of the Immortals, OP

What's that?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Macavity posted:

Dota and LoL are team games. It comes down to what kind of friends you have. If they're more casual, LoL is probably the way to go. If they're willing to get serious about it, try Dota.

Just kidding. If you had friends you wouldn't be asking this loving question. Video games are for children.

Please respect gaming and the choices gamers make.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

All mobas are unfun

Why?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It seems like several companies are trying to get in on this "MOBA Madness" as I like to call it. How many of these Johnny come lately games are any good?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

this thread is going places also im gay

to answer the question the people who created/run league are awful ideaman who tried to gently caress over DOTA multiple times(Pendragon being the biggest megashill, more on that later maybe) THEY'RE BOTH GREAT MAN

I'm glad that there are so many LGBTQQA posters here and that you are sharing your input.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

I haven't played either for a long time but imo:

DotA is faster paced, the whole team will often roam around even right in the beginning of the game, strategy is more flexible

LoL is not as fast as DotA, afaik stacking armor/MR/health is still popular in the meta. Strategy is fairly rigid in that people follow the meta and don't stray from it unless they are bad or they really know what they're doing (1 top, 1 mid, 2 bot, 1 jungle, 90% of the time).

DotA has a few features that are more 'complicated', such as turn rate (heros have different turn rates, you usually have to be facing whatever you are attacking or casting at)

Although they are both mobas, they are different. It's hard to say which is objectively better because it comes down to preference. If you like faster paced play with lots of kills and some more complicated mechanics, DotA is good. LoL is very streamlined and user friendly so a lot of people prefer that.

But really MOBAs are awful though.

Thanks for the input!

Why are MOBA's awful?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ojetor posted:

Well LoL is owned by an evil Chinese corporation hellbent on stealing your precious dollars for their communist regime while Dota is owned by noted Videogame Messiah and American Patriot Gabe Newell.

So you tell me OP, why do you hate America?

I hope no one hates America because they make good hot dogs (haha) there.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

How do we know that Gabe Newell is a brony?

And that the League of Legends developers are horrible people?

Many people reading this thread (myself included) don't know this stuff. Those who are wiser could you impart your wisdom?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Vermain posted:

Smite is good as poo poo and probably the most well-designed MOBA out there as far as its core concepts go.

I've heard this as well; what makes its design good?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

MrBims posted:

There have been 69723 posts made by Widestancer, an average of 340.31 posts per day, since registering on Mar 29, 2014.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mans posted:

how the gently caress do you post 340 times a day

you post as much per day as you weight jesus christ

Having my post count changed by an admin is the gift that keeps on giving because it's a great honeypot for unfunny fucks like you to use such classic comedy as "haha they're fat".

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Studio posted:

Wait are people posting in this thread unironically?

I hope so.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

What makes a good Moba?

Is the TF2 ish Hat system of Dota any better or worse than Riot's model? Why or why not?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Tell me about Bloodline Champions. It's good to hear nice design features sometimes in a forum that can be very negative.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

What does this mean for someone who doesn't know the lingo?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Imaginary penis points are a powerful force.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If anyone in here uses the report button they're dumb.

Some good feedback and it's proving very educational so far!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

hobocrunch posted:

The only thing I got from this entire discussion is that LoL is PlayStation All Stars Battle Royal and Dota is Street Fighter.

There is no point making a game in a competitive genre and then taking out all aspect of depth. There's a reason that Dota is able to come to the scene 2 years after League did and STILL manage to pull a playerbase from the titan that is LoL.

What defines depth in a MOBA?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

it's really pathetic how smite players try to pass themselves off as being totally different than those other MOBAs.

here's a hint: you're not, your game's poo poo like all other MOBAs. please get a job and some real hobbies

What's a real hobby?

I enjoy painting sometimes and other times I like to do some woodworking. Can gaming be a hobby?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Yeah, what about E-Sports? Is either more or less suited to them than the other for those who care about things like E-Sports?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Who watches replays? Serious question. Is there a benefit to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

That's all video games.

God drat dude

• Locked thread