Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qstUxos2cBs

It's time to read the hardest book in the English canon, Finnegans Wake. This is it, the big motherfucker of literature. And we're going to read all of it, even if it kills us. Let's start around 10/30 so I can get my book from the library. Godspeed and good luck, we're gonna need it.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Finnegans-Wak...nnegan%27s+wake

(This is the only major work by Joyce not on Project Gutenburg, so be sure to check it out from your public library, since they will definitely have a copy)

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

(This is the only major work by Joyce not on Project Gutenburg, so be sure to check it out from your public library, since they will definitely have a copy)

Actually the whole book has been online forever complete with links to each line. http://www.trentu.ca/faculty/jjoyce/fw-3.htm

Admittedly it's a very 90's web experience but it works.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Earwicker posted:

Actually the whole book has been online forever complete with links to each line. http://www.trentu.ca/faculty/jjoyce/fw-3.htm

Admittedly it's a very 90's web experience but it works.

Thank you! I didn't know this existed. I prefer physical books, though, so I won't be using it.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 20, 2014

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Sure, why not.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

I fear many words in the same place but I will face this terror with you.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Is there an illustrated version?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

everythingWasBees posted:

Oh God I hope so

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
From this link elsewhere on that website:

quote:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
#
# row.cgi - v2.2
# 970611
# Tim Szeliga
#
# There are two parts to this script:
# Part1: Access RDB perl scripts
# Part2: CGI_handlers.pl
#
#
$CGIDIR='/cwis/www/faculty/jjoyce/cgi-bin';
$SRCDIR='/cwis/www/faculty/jjoyce/';
push(@INC,$SRCDIR);
push(@INC,$CGIDIR);
# require 'cgi_handlers.pl';
# require 'cgi_handlers.pl';
# require 'rdb.pl';
$type = "P";
$TYPE_str = "";

&get_request;
&html_header("Line References ");
&html_body("TEXT=\"#000000\" BGCOLOR=\"#aFbFDF\" VLINK=\"#0000FD\" LINK=\"#551A8A\" ALINK=\"#FE0000\"");

drat, this IS hard. I really appreciate Joyce's usage of HTML before the concept was even developed. His prose was far ahead of its time.

On a more serious note: I do not consider this in any way to be a novel, or even a thing worthy of reading. It is, in essence, a nonsensical litany of letters and (more rarely) words strung together. I appreciate novels which are written in a subversive or intriguing manner (see: House of Leaves for a less literary example) but I really think this is absolutely a fruitless read. Try Dubliners instead. There's even a centennial edition floating around which has a gorgeous cover and would look wonderful on a bookshelf, if you're into that sort of thing.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 20, 2014

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

quote:

Bygmester Finnegan, of the Stuttering Hand, freemen's mau-
rer, lived in the broadest way immarginable in his rushlit toofar-
back for messuages before joshuan judges had given us numbers
or Helviticus committed deuteronomy

Looks pretty good so far.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Note: There are three editions of Finnegans Wake, two of which are available, the original and third editions. The third edition was meticulously revised by Joyce himself. If you have a choice, please try to get the revised edition, but if you can't, I understand.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 21, 2014

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

I will read the book, or die trying.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Is this like, a scheduled read-along or what? If so, what's the schedule?

Sounds interesting though, I'll read it.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

From this link elsewhere on that website:

drat, this IS hard. I really appreciate Joyce's usage of HTML before the concept was even developed. His prose was far ahead of its time.

On a more serious note: I do not consider this in any way to be a novel, or even a thing worthy of reading. It is, in essence, a nonsensical litany of letters and (more rarely) words strung together. I appreciate novels which are written in a subversive or intriguing manner (see: House of Leaves for a less literary example) but I really think this is absolutely a fruitless read. Try Dubliners instead. There's even a centennial edition floating around which has a gorgeous cover and would look wonderful on a bookshelf, if you're into that sort of thing.

Now I have to love it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cloks posted:

Is this like, a scheduled read-along or what? If so, what's the schedule?

Sounds interesting though, I'll read it.

This book is not so much a work of fiction as alphabet soup or brain vomit. Read at your own pace and we'll try and finish within six months.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm not really sure if this is a sincere thread or not and I'm not going to waste any time trying to defend FW to those people who think it's just random nonsense or "brain vomit", but for anyone actually interested in reading the book I strongly suggest reading it with a guide. In particular I recommend A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake by the mythologist Joseph Campbell, which is in fact a pretty great read just in itself.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 20, 2014

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'll read it when I'm done with some of the books I'm reading now, thank you.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Earwicker posted:

I'm not really sure if this is a sincere thread or not and I'm not going to waste any time trying to defend it to those people who think it's just random nonsense or "brain vomit", but for anyone actually interested in reading the book I strongly suggest reading it with a guide. In particular I recommend A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake by the mythologist Joseph Campbell, which is in fact a pretty great read just in itself.

Of course this thread is sincere. I love Joyce brain vomit and all. You can't tell me that the stream-of-consciousness style of writing doesn't attempt to be exactly what I said it was.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Also, yeah, my impression from reading people writing about Finnegan's Wake is that it's not in the least random, it is an insanely calculated book where every word has about 10 different reasons to be where it is, some of which you won't get unless you understand Russian puns on the etymology of Latin phrases.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The story with Joyce is that he wrote 10 words a day and agonized over how to arrange them.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

Of course this thread is sincere. I love Joyce brain vomit and all. You can't tell me that the stream-of-consciousness style of writing doesn't attempt to be exactly what I said it was.

Well the way you phrased it implied randomness. The words in the book are of course mostly not real English words but they aren't just random letters thrown together either, they are generally combinations of multiple words that sometimes come from languages and sometimes are onomatopoeia

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

CestMoi posted:

Also, yeah, my impression from reading people writing about Finnegan's Wake is that it's not in the least random, it is an insanely calculated book where every word has about 10 different reasons to be where it is, some of which you won't get unless you understand Russian puns on the etymology of Latin phrases.

Oh I'm sure it's not random. Joyce is a wonderful writer. I just have to wonder whether Joyce himself would've laughed at everyone writing theses and guides about this thing. I bet he would've.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

The story with Joyce is that he wrote 10 words a day and agonized over how to arrange them.

There's a cool joke story about this and you mucked it up!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

CestMoi posted:

There's a cool joke story about this and you mucked it up!

No, I removed the one I'd inserted this morning.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

Oh I'm sure it's not random. Joyce is a wonderful writer. I just have to wonder whether Joyce himself would've laughed at everyone writing theses and guides about this thing. I bet he would've.

I think he would've thought it's good and tehn got back to writing incestuous poop stories to his wife.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Not sure why I should bother reading the deranged ramblings of a dying man that people keep insisting is a book when in fact it is not.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

blue squares posted:

Not sure why I should bother reading the deranged ramblings of a dying man that people keep insisting is a book when in fact it is not.

It is a book and furthermore, video games are art.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I'm currently reading some other stuff but I'll read it some time in the future, OP

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

blue squares posted:

He must have been dying for a long time, it took him like 20 years to write it

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I've always wanted to read In Search of Lost Time, OP.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blue squares posted:

I saw it on paper once. I believe in the librocity of Finnegans Wake.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 21, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Officer Sandvich posted:

He must have been dying for a long time, it took him like 20 years to write it

We're all dying every day mate

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

amuayse posted:

I've always wanted to read In Search of Lost Time, OP.

Then make an In Search of Lost Time thread then, Mr. Polneroff

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm scared of this book

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
I've read it already, but if I had the time I would take part in this just for the experience. It's really hard to know what to say about Finnegan's Wake, other than that it's really confusing and there are a lot of powerful images. The magic of it is that it bends your brain into seeing things that may or may not be there. It could be nonsense or it could be exactly what Joyce was trying to make you experience. Or you could be the only person to ever understand a certain part, and never know it.

I've also read all of In Search of Lost Time and it's long but completely incomparable to Finnegan's Wake because it's actually quite...let's say linear (hesitantly). I don't want to say it's less cerebral than Finnegan's Wake, only more emotional. It is indisputably one of the greatest creations of mankind. I can usually "get" why a book is called a masterpiece when I read it but I may not necessarily feel it. I feel the mastery of In Search of Lost Time.

The only book I have read as an adult and loved as much as Proust is David Copperfield. I feel they have the same magnitude of greatness, though are different for many reasons.

e:

Earwicker posted:

for anyone actually interested in reading the book I strongly suggest reading it with a guide. In particular I recommend A Skeleton Key to Finnegans Wake by the mythologist Joseph Campbell, which is in fact a pretty great read just in itself.

Do this.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 21, 2014

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

everythingWasBees posted:

Yes: http://www.theguardian.com/books/gallery/2014/mar/26/finnegans-wake-james-joyce-in-pictures

Also I'd feel this thread was a lot more sincere if more than one poster could spell the book's title properly.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

House Louse posted:

Yes: http://www.theguardian.com/books/gallery/2014/mar/26/finnegans-wake-james-joyce-in-pictures

Also I'd feel this thread was a lot more sincere if more than one poster could spell the book's title properly.

I have never noticed the lack of apostrophe. I'm so used to seeing the song title that it's stuck in my brain.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I have it in the toilet at the place I'm currently staying, which is fitting. I've opened it up a few times and chuckled more than once. That's as far as I'm willing to go. Sorry, OP, from now on you're on your own :(

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I'll do it. Should be an interesting experience.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

University of Adelaide has Finnegans Wake lying about, for those wanting to read it on an e-reader of some sort.

I might join in on this experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I learned that there is a better online version than the one Earwicker linked. It even has annotations!

http://finwake.com

• Locked thread