Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
i know a guy that ordered a dvorak keyboard online and when it arrived it turned out to be one of the dozen of ansi dvoraks ever made

serves him right for buying a spergboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
also move this to yospos my av looks like poo poo here

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
if this gets moved to yospos itll be my 2nd thread moved to yospos today im trying to bring yospos to the masses here ok

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

wtf is a mechanical keyboard

jesus christ oip stop ofbuscating

it is a keyboard with mechanical switches under every key as opposed to most modern keyboards which are made with a rubber membrane thing under the keys

the rubber membranes mean they are more spill resistant (but still not really) but the mechanical ones give better tactile and audio feedback which some people like. I think they let you type faster ultimately, too, but mostly people prefer it for the feel of the keyboard vs the rubber ones.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Al Borland posted:

rosewill makes decent power supplies if I remember.

No clue on keyboards I just go logitech on that poo poo.

Don't get me wrong I'm always down for a good troll post but I tend to draw the line at literally attempting to burn people's houses down

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
i played cal counterstrike with a $10 keyboard and won all the time you guys are hoemoes

Incredulous Dylan posted:

i still type with basically two fingers just really fast

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
They feel good to type on and only one kind makes a ton of noise.

If you're the kind of person that literally doesn't care about anything yeah they're not for you.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Whatever the old basic Dell keyboards were, those are the fastest to type on I can prove it

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I have a ~20 year old Model M that I found in a pile outside the computer science department one day. It has a speaker in the bottom and weighs a lot.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dear GBS: Please murder me if I ever start to care about the sound that my keyboard makes

Thanks in advance,

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Don Tacorleone posted:

Dear GBS: Please murder me if I ever start to care about the sound that my keyboard makes

Thanks in advance,

Should we murder you if you start to care about other people caring about the sound their keyboards make because that's worse IMO

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Devils Affricate posted:

Should we murder you if you start to care about other people caring about the sound their keyboards make because that's worse IMO

Do not murder me I was only joking

Repeat, do NOT MURDER ME GBS

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Don Tacorleone posted:

it's too late; a fat, awkward assassin is lumbering towards your door as we speak

he is going to bludgeon you to death with a keyboard from 1989

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

I want a silent keyboard designed for one handed use that can be hosed off

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Don Tacorleone posted:

you're hosed bro

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
browns, tenkeyless. highly suggested friend. may try reds next time

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just typed this stream of consciousness style to nobody in particular in ntopasd

I never really learned to type like a normal. In fact, you'll quickly see that despite the apparent handicap of typing with only like the first three fingers of each hand, if even that, I have for the most part overcome that issue handily. In fact, while i could, most likely, type faster, with fewer errors and more efficiently than I do in this style were I to learn proper touch typing, i feel like the actual investment of time and effort, really would not be particularily worth it when considering what sort of improvement might actually be possible. All things considered, I think i'll stay with my weird, hosed up manner of typing. My fingers are good at it. You'll notice my right hand in particular, anticipates where upcoming letters will be placed and is able to position fingers in the appropriate place even when the left hand is still typing. Words words words words owrrwrwegergsgbxdfgbnxfg
bh;
n,gN

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Back in 2000-ish, I went to a computer show, and some guy had a giant box of really old IBM model M keyboards (mechanical, clicky keyboards) for $5 a piece. Best of all, they all looked like they'd pretty much never been used, and I loved mechanical keyboards, so I happily bought one. My husband and friends who were with me thought I was insane.

Hilarious side story is that they sold it to me and put it in a thin plastic bag, like a grocery bag when I bought it, but the thing is a million pounds and while walking around the computer show, the bag ended up breaking and my keyboard fell to the ground. My husband and I both bent to pick it up at the same time. Unfortunately, he was faster to stand up than I was, which means that he was lifting the keyboard while I was still bent over to grab it. Because he lifted it so quickly, the giant metal keyboard whacked me in the face hard enough that the cap on the Alt key went flying across the room.

I loved that thing for the next 10+ years, but it was one of the really old ones, so it didn't even have a PS/2 connector. The loving thing was DIN.

When my computers still had PS/2 connectors, it was fine to use a DIN to PS/2 connector to make it work, but once my motherboards started coming with USB only, I was kind of hosed, because nobody in their right mind makes DIN to USB connectors. Did a lot of googling and happily discovered that I wasn't the only weirdo in the world who preferred them and got myself a Unicomp. Not as awesome as my old-as-poo poo Model M, but still better than every other keyboard. I'm glad I'm not the only person who is insane about their keyboard.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 21, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

mechanical kb nerds sound like wine reviewers

Cherry MX Clear switches have often been called "stiffer browns" though some users note that they have more of a tactile feel than browns do. This really can be a subjective topic, though this is another switch that could be considered "ballanced." The force required is comparable to most rubber dome keyboards, with a nice tactile feedback to tell you the key has actuated. These switches are harder to find on keyboards.

As a note: this switch actually has a peak force of 65g, it is 55g at the point of actuation. This is due to the design of the Cherry switch itself.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
so it's like sporting equipment only the exact opposite of sporting equipment

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
It's cool that goons have begun investing in specialty gear to maximize their posting potential

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

It's cool that goons have begun investing in specialty gear to maximize their posting potential

I'm imagining you wearing decade old cargo pants full of holes as some sort of expression of holistic apathy. They're just keyboards that feel nice and most people don't know about them.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
mechanical keyboards own.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Stoic Commie posted:

i played cal counterstrike with a $10 keyboard and won all the time you guys are hoemoes

thread /over this guy is a pro

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Sex Bumbo posted:

I'm imagining you wearing decade old cargo pants full of holes as some sort of expression of holistic apathy. They're just keyboards that feel nice and most people don't know about them.

Cool, what else are you imagining? I got sailboat crewed by dolphins.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

FordPRefectLL posted:

i feel like such a human being like in the way it was cool to call people in the 90s

only if you bought it for these forums. If you bought it to game you are just a nerd.

Eptar
Jan 14, 2003
Oh no, not again.

Qvindtar posted:

Typing on a Filco Majestouch 108 (blue chassis) with custom keycaps and MX Cherry Browns switches.

Welcome to the cool keyboard club, OP.

Sup Filco brother. Filco Ninja Majestouch 2 with blue switches here, it truly is an experience that the rubber dome peasants just wont understand.

real talk tho it's loud as gently caress and my wife hates it. CLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACKCLACK

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Mnemosyne posted:

nobody in their right mind makes DIN to USB connectors

Yeah but people in some kind of mind make DIN to PS/2 adapters and also PS/2 to USB adapters.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Das Keyboard scrubs

get on my level

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Skeleton Ape posted:

Yeah but people in some kind of mind make DIN to PS/2 adapters and also PS/2 to USB adapters.

I considered that but it seemed insane and I wasn't sure if it would work or not. It was my best option until I discovered that Unicomp was making keyboards, and then it seemed like it was just easier to get a new keyboard.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

im pooping! posted:

I bought a rosewill power supply because it was like 30$ and it was definitely good enough to run my computer

good enough for like 6 months anyway, until i pressed the power button one day and a fireball the size of my fist shot out of the back of my computer

some cheap capacitor melted and shorted the thing out, im lucky it didn't cause a bigger explosion actually, it could have easily burned my house down

this happens with the $200 power supplies too, but people are so embarrassed that they spent $200 on a power supply that they never report it or make angry shsc posts about it

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
The only reason to use a mechanical keyboard at work is to passive-aggressively drive your co workers insane. So, thats pretty much why I have one.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
can mechanical keyboards still get keyboard goop??

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FordPRefectLL posted:

also this thing is loud as gently caress my boyfriend is gonna be pissed

Which will in turn make you pissed.

What I'm saying is your boyfriend pulls out his tee-tee at night and pee-pees in your goof-slot.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Beef Turret posted:

Normal
Mecha

that bottom one comes off as very deep penetrating and erotic.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

im pooping! posted:

I bought a rosewill power supply because it was like 30$ and it was definitely good enough to run my computer

good enough for like 6 months anyway, until i pressed the power button one day and a fireball the size of my fist shot out of the back of my computer

some cheap capacitor melted and shorted the thing out, im lucky it didn't cause a bigger explosion actually, it could have easily burned my house down

welp glad i dont use them lol.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Johnny Cash - I Bought a Mechanical Keyboard Just to Set it Up

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Johnny Cash - I Bought a Mechanical Keyboard Just to Set it Up

hooked it to a rosewill power supply and watched it burn burn burnnn

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
I have cherry blues right now but ive typed on reds a couple times and i think i like them more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Pikachu posted:

I have cherry blues right now but ive typed on reds a couple times and i think i like them more

I want cherries now.

• Locked thread