Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Next Episode:
May 15 @ 8 EST/7 CST/5 PST

4x22 – “Cry Havoc” - SEASON FINALE :siren:
After Juliette's latest betrayal, Nick, Hank, Trubel, Monroe and Wu take the fight directly to her and the royals.

:siren: Grimm has moved from 9 PM to 8 PM. Change your PRV timing's accordingly.

-------

Nick (reading from a Grimm’s journal): “ ‘I arrived in Philippines at Manila May 1904 after a long, ardous voyage -’ ”
Hank: “Do you have to start at the beginning?”
Monroe: “Yeah, pick it up right before the ‘and then I cut off its head’ part.”
Nick: “All right…” (sounding bored) “ ‘Snuck down the putrid alley’… ‘fetid smell of blood’… blah blah blah… ‘and then I cut off its -’ Okay, too far.”

Previous thread titles:
Grimm Season 4: "Another baby? I don't even know where the first one is!!"
Grimm Season 4: "I know what convoluted means."
Grimm Season 4: Grimmless in Portland
(Thanks to Cuddlechunks)

:siren: Now renewed for Season 5! :siren:

Grimm is a fantasy/horror police procedural, which has took the premise: “What if the classic fairy tales are based on real creatures living in human society” and expanded it into a fairly well-grounded mythology spanning centuries.

One day, Portland detective Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli) started seeing visions of humans changing into strange creatures. His (dying) aunt, Marie Kessler, told him that he is one of a long line of hunters known as “Grimms” who can see the true forms. Aunt Marie left Nick her trailer of weapons, equipment, and a library on many creatures, which Nick uses to solve Wesen-related crimes.

The Brothers Grimm were not just collectors of stories and folklore, but profilers of the Wesen (pronounced VES-sen), a variety of creatures that have been living and passing as humans. Many Wesen have extra abilities, such as super-human strength or resilience which can make them dangerous. Others are generally harmless, content to live ordinary lives among humans. Ordinary humans can’t see Wesen – unless the Wesen want to be seen.

There’s a series over-arching plot about a mysterious thing taken from Constantinople during the 4th crusade by seven Grimms working for the Seven Royal families (Note: The show hasn’t explicitly said what the royals are. Comments from the producers say that the Royals are NOT Wesen, just “regular folks”. I suspect though that the Royals are Grimms. Some other things writers and actors have said seems to agree with that).

They seven crusaders decided that whatever they found was too dangerous for the Royals to have, so they hid it, locked away with seven Keys, each with part of a map written on it to give the location of the treasure. (Comiccon teaser spoilers: There will be another key in Season 4, and in Season 5, they’ll answer what the drat keys are for.

Four of the Keys have fallen into the hands of the Royals, one is missing. Nick received one key from Marie Kessler, and a second from dying Grimm Rolek Porter. The trouble is that at least one royal family knows that she had the Key, and that it was passed on to Nick, and through Season 1 and 2, they’ve made many attempts to kill Nick and get the Key back.

This is the fourth season, so if you’re in this thread, it’s safe to assume you’re familiar with the show, so you just get a few sentences of bio, and then last year on Grimm…

Note: Some bios are incomplete, but I just want to get this thread up now and can work on filling those in more later.

Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli)

• Decapitare… I think I like that.

Nick is (well, was) the titular Grimm – a veteran detective, who awakened to his Grimm powers in the pilot episode. He’s struggled with balancing behaving as a normal cop with his ancestral reputation, which was more like decapitate first, ask questions later.

In the early part of the season, Nick had to deal with the consequences from his temporary ‘zombification’, during which he accidentally killed a man in a bar fight. Nick wanted to turn himself in, but his friends talked him down, and the case remains officially unsolved, crimes pinned on the ficticious identity created to smuggle Nick’s body out of Portland.

The zombie toxin (and possibly in combination with its cure) altered Nick’s metabolism, increasing his strength and endurance, and occasionally making him appear to be dead, although at least the last effect seems to have worn off.

Nick encountered Alexander - a representative of the Wesen Council a couple of times. The council business put them at odds both times, but mostly over the methodology. Nick ended up cutting Alexander a couple of breaks, but made it clear that might not always be the case.

Season 3 started out with Nick rendered into a zombie after being sprayed by “Baron Samedi” ‘ s venom. Samedi however did not realize that a Grimm would react differently. Nick awoke sooner than expected, but was still mindlessly violent. He ignored Samedi’s commands, causing the plane he was on to crash. After that he wandered into a bar and started a bar fight, during which someone died. After being cured, Nick wanted to turn himself in, but his friends talked him down.

He was happy to no longer have to lie to Juliette, and brought her in to help research the Wesen-of-the-week. Nick was about to propose until Nick’s mother Kelly showed up with Adalind and her baby in tow.

End-of-season 3 status: He was raped by Adalind disguised as Juliet, which made the real Juliet quite upset. Something Adalind did caused Nick to lose his powers as a Grimm, making him just a normal person.

Hank Griffin (Russell Hornsby)

• Hearing the truth isn’t the problem. It’s seeing and not being able to explain that pushes you over the edge.

Hank is Nick’s partner on the police force. He’s been married multiple times, and has a rather laid-back personality.

Hank recovered from Russel Hornsby’s torn Achilles tendon, and continued adapting to helping Nick deal with Wesen cases, and occasionally working outside the law. He is now so accepting of Wesen as normal, that he asked out his (former) physical therapist even after witnessing her change and rip out the throat of a gang-banger. She turned him down because while he was comfortable with dating a Wesen, she was not.

End-of-season 3 status: Helping Nick, Trouble, and Juliet drive away from the panict at Rosalee and Monroe’s wedding.

Juliette Silverton (Bitsie Tulloch)

• [Our life] has been screwed up by what you are. I don’t think I can take it anymore.

Juliette is a veterinarian and Nick’s live-in girlfriend.

Finally on the “Scooby squad” full time now that she is in the loop, she helps Nick with research, and occasionally Rosalee with brewing mixtures. She’s become fast friends with Rosalee and they see each other even for non-case-work. She also started exchanging e-mails with Kelly Burkhardt.

Eventually though, the excitement of being involved in Nick’s world started to turn to resentment over the dangers associated with having a Grimm boyfriend. This started to surface after Adalind appeared in their home, and continued after Nick brought the young and newly discovered Grimm Teresa Rubel to their house to stay with them indefinitely. After Nick had sex with a disguised Adalind, Juliette warned him that she was on her camel straw

End-of-season 3 status: Really fed up with the complications Nick being a Grimm has added, and really pissed off at Nick for sleeping with the disguised Adalind.

Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell)

• To take on a Lausenschlange and a Klaustreich at the same time? That takes some really large – well, figuratively in her case – cajones.

Monroe (a Blutbad) was the first Wesen that Nick talked to after getting his powers, and provides Nick with help and assistance with various Weasen-related cases. They grew to be close friends.

Through one of Nick’s cases, he met Rosalee, and they fell in love. Monroe proposed to her, although the engagement had some minor bumps, meeting Rosalee’s family, and Monroe’s very conservative and traditional parents, Bart and Alice. They did not approve of Monroe marrying a Fuchsbau, and even less of Monroe being friends with a Grimm, but they came around eventually.

And we still don’t know what his last name is (and even then we can only assume Monroe is his first name because that’s what his parents call him, and the wedding was interrupted just as the JotP was announcing “Mr. and Mrs. …”

End-of-season 3 status: The wedding was finished, but after Trubel showed up, it caused a panic, which he and Rosalee are trying to deal with.

Capt. Sean Renard (Sasha Roiz)

• Well I am Royal, and I can be a bastard.

Renard helped cover up Zombie-Nick’s rampage, and swiftly retaliated against his half-brother Eric, by arranging for a car bomb to pick him up at the airport. That caused a lot of chaos with his family, and Renard took advantage of the distraction to visit Austria to strengthen his ties with the resistance. He learned that Adalind might be carrying his child, and he told her to choose a side – him, or his family.

Renard arranged for Adalind to get out of the country with her baby. He didn’t expect them to show up at his apartment, but when they did, with Nick and his mother on her heels, Renard took a stand: Nick would take Renard’s child away over his dead body. When Viktor showed up at the police station and bluntly told him to hand the child over, or else he, and Adalind would be hunted down relentlessly, Renard realized there was no choice, and handed the baby over to Viktor – but participated on a fake attack by the resistance and stole her back, sending her away with Kelly Burkhardt.

End-of-season 3 status: Shot three times by a Verrat agent, he’s critically wounded and there was a question of his survival (but I suspect he’ll make it).

Sgt. Drew Wu (Reggie Lee)

• …and normally I’d make a joke about diapers, but frankly: not in the mood.

Sergeant Drew Wu is a colleague of Nick and Hank, and typically serves as the officer-on-scene who tells Nick and Hank what they’re about to find. Wu is first on the scenes of often gruesome crimes, and he uses snark and sarcasm to describe them.

That was not the case for one particular event, where a childhood friend of his was attacked. Wu noticed some eerie similarities - the details of the attack resembled that of a Filipino legend. Wu suspected that her husband was responsible, and was trying to make the attack look like the legend – until he burst in and saw the fully woged Aswang. This broke his mind a bit, especially when Hank and Nick pretended they hadn’t seen it. He checked himself into an mental health institution for a while. Juliette visited him and helped him by telling him about her experience with her amnesia.

End-of-season 3 status: While investigating Renard’s shooting and the decapitation at Nick’s house, Wu discovered some of Nick’s Grimm books and saw some of the drawings of Wesen.

Rosalee Calvert (Bree Turner)

• It’s not that easy to admit being wesen – even to other wesen. I did everything I could to deny what I was. I hid it, hung out with all the wrong people. You have no idea how badly you just want to be normal.

Rosalee is a Fuchsbau who runs a tea and spice shop, and acts as a Wesen apothecary.

In Season 3, she moved in with Monroe, and soon they were engaged. Before that though, she reunited with her family, who she hadn’t really seen since shortly after her father died.

End-of-season 3 status: The wedding was finished, but after Trubel showed up, it caused a panic, which she and Monroe are trying to deal with.

Adelind Schade (Claire Coffee)

• Figure [out how you can help me]. Because one day I’ll stop crying.

Adalind underwent a long and hilariously disgusting and annoying ritual meant to help her regain her Hexenbiest powers (although they were not seen to manifest until after she gave birth).

Her pregnancy soon became known – both to prince Viktor, who had spy cams hidden in her hotel room, and to Sean (through Martin Meisner following her to an OB/GYN). Sean came to visit her in Vienna and warned her to pick a side, her or his family. He warned that his family would only be interested in her child, and would have little use for her afterwards.

Adalind’s baby’s heartbeat on the ultrasound was unusual, as if there were twins (there weren’t).
Her pregnancy advanced much faster than was normal, either because of her baby’s heritage or because of the ritual she underwent to get her powers back.

Adalind fled the Royals – and their Verrat enforcers - with Meisner’s help, and she had her baby in Meisner’s old family cabin. He delivered her to a representative from the resistance to smuggle her out of Europe. The representative turned out to be Kelly Burkheardt.

End-of-season 3 status: On her way back to Vienna to meet Prince Viktor and see her baby.

Other Characters
Teresa “Trubel” Rubel (Jacqueline Toboni)

• I like the queen [chess piece]. She saved my life once. … I jammed her into a Coyotal’s neck when he attacked. We were playing chess at the Mildord State Mental Hospital. They were not happy with me for that.

Teresa Rubel (who goes by the nickname “Trubel”) is a young Grimm who had no one around to tell her that she was a Grimm. Ever since she started seeing Wesen, she thought she was going crazy. When Nick and Monroe discovered her in Portland, she was grateful to learn that she was not insane.

Nick took her under her wing and started teaching her about the Wesen world. Trubel is rash and reckless, but has good instincts, and recognizes when she’s made mistakes.

End-of-season 3 status: She decapitated the Verrat agent who shot Captain Renard in Nick’s house and called 911 before driving off to try and get a cure to Nick. Her barging into Monroe and Rosalee’s wedding sparked a panic.

Viktor Beckindorf (Alexis Denisof)

• It is imperative that you find them immediately. I don’t care who you have to bribe, threaten, or kill.

Prince Viktor is a cousin to Eric and Sean, and the one who ended up in charge after Eric’s sudden death. He’s been mostly focused on trying to hunt down the resistance and getting the Royal-blooded baby Adalind was carrying, but grew increasingly frustrated at the Verrat’s lack of success in both areas.

End-of-season 3 status: He’d just conned Adalind into de-powereing Nick, in exchange for letting her see the baby which he did not in fact, have.

Bud Wurstner (Danny Bruno)

• I want to save those kids just as much as the rest of you. I’m just not exactly wishing that we might encounter the most hideous beast no one’s ever seen.

Bud is an Appliance repairman. He’s a friend to Nick and Monroe, and occasionally helps them out with Nick’s cases.

Kelly Burkhardt (Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio)

• I don’t trust anybody I’m not close enough to kill.

Nick’s mother, and a Grimm. She abandoned Nick when he was 12 because of the danger of her life, and spent most of her time on the road.

She returned to Portland with Adalind, thinking that Nick’s house would be a good place to temporarily hide out – not knowing who she was at the time. Kelly worked with Nick and Renard to fight off the Verrat agents looking for the baby.

As part of Renard’s plan, he had her “arrested” for the murder of Catherine Schade (Adalind’s mother), and told Adalind that as a mother, you have to sometimes give up what you love most.

End-of-season 3 status: She’s taken custody of Adalind’s super-powered baby Diana, to keep it out of the hands of The Royals, the Resistance, and Adalind.

Alexander (Spencer Conway)

• "This Grimm is not like anything we've seen before"

Alexander (a Pflichttreue) is an operative for the Wesen Council, an entity which enforces Wesen Law. He has visited Portland two or three times, and encountered Nick. He was surprised that Nick just let him go after Alexander attempted to dispatch a Grausen. The next time, he wanted Nick to deal with a murderer who had attempted to steal a mummified Anubis, but it was as a cover to let him try to steal the body for himself so it could be respectfully disposed of. Nick stopped Alexander, but only to let him know that Nick knew what he was doing. Nick helped Alexander dispose of the mummy.

Martin Meisner (Damien Puckler)

• My fight is here.”

Meisner is a member of the Resistance, fighting against the Royals to get revenge for his murdered girlfriend. He was the one who killed Eric Renard, and acted as Sean Renard’s bodyguard on Sean’s trip to Vienna. Afterwards, he was assigned to watch Adalind, and helped get her away from the Royals before giving birth.

Meisner ensured that Adalind successfully made it to the plane to take her and her child out of Europe. After that, he told Renard he was going underground for a while.

King Frederick (Dan Kremer)

Sean and Eric’s father, the King is a Royal, the head of the House of Kronenburg. He only appeared in one episode, but I suspect he’ll become more important (but then again I’ve been wrong before).

Previous thread titles:
Grimm Season 4: "Another baby? I don't even know where the first one is!!"
Grimm Season 4: "I know what convoluted means."
Grimm Season 4: Grimmless in Portland

Links
NBC.com - Grimm
Wikipedia – Grimm
Grimm Wikipedia – List of Wesen
Grimm Wiki
Season 3 thread

:siren: Best Wishes for Monroe and Rosalee (Holy crap, this is amazing, watch this right now) :siren:

Comic Con 2014 Grimm Panel Part 2 Part 3
Grimm Official Youtube channel (see it for interviews)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Please don't keep Adalind stuck in Europe for no reason for half the season again, Grimm.

edit: Oh god that wedding video is amazing.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 20, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zaggitz posted:

Please don't keep Adalind stuck in Europe for no reason for half all of the season again, Grimm.
Fixed that.

quote:

edit: Oh god that wedding video is amazing.
It really really is.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Do they have tails? It's a good question.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Poor Juliet. :smith:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

THat wedding video was superb. I had to stop the video when Nick said, "I'm something of a poet." I was laughing so much.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
1. That wedding video is absolutely priceless.

2. I'm considering not watching the first half of the season, with a long drawn out Regain Powers plot with multiple characters again inexplicably banished away from the main plotline and never interacting, until the midseason climax where Nick inevitably regains his Grimm-ness by stealing Trubel's powers and the show quickly and quietly shipping the interesting character off to never be seen again and we hit the giant Reset Button. Maybe after that we'll get some fun cases of the week. :smith:

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
The only way I would be okay with this whole loss of powers thing would be if he could somehow hide his Grimm eyes better after inevitably regaining the ability to see Wesen. Make him an even more of a Grimm to be feared. Sadly, I think it will just be a wasted storyline to kill time before actually forcing the writers to explain what the hell is up with the royal houses, the keys, the coins, the entire mythology of it outside of Portland.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

JD Bucks 7 posted:

The only way I would be okay with this whole loss of powers thing would be if he could somehow hide his Grimm eyes better after inevitably regaining the ability to see Wesen. Make him an even more of a Grimm to be feared. Sadly, I think it will just be a wasted storyline to kill time before actually forcing the writers to explain what the hell is up with the royal houses, the keys, the coins, the entire mythology of it outside of Portland.

And the writers gush in every drat interview about how they write by the seat of their pants because why plan ahead?
It's getting harder to look forward to this show each season.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Ideally, the depowering would be permanent and the rest of the season would be Team Grimm trying to groom Trubel into taking Nick's place.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
4x01 – “Thanks for the Memories” :siren: SEASON PREMIERE
Questions are raised about the events at Nick’s house. Nick has to deal with the fallout of losing his powers, just as a new, memory-consuming Wesen arrives in Portland. Adalind returns to Vienna, expecting Viktor to have her baby.

Grimm returns tonight. A lot of people don't like the look of Nick getting depowered, with memories of Juliette's season-spanning amnesia/obsession plotline. Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical about that as well. It's ostensibly because they never really explored Nick as a "normal person", but well, "Nick as a normal person" isn't exactly what people tuned in to watch for in the first place, now is it? It's unlikely that Nick will be re-powered before the mid-season mark. Adalind is once again back in Europe.

Still though, there are some potentially interesting things to come. Teresa will have to step up and help Nick out more than she ever expected. Wu has seen the Grimm books, and he'll likely start poking around asking questions. Adalind will probably not be pleased at all that Viktor does not, in fact, have her child. And Reynard is fighting for his life in the hospital.

The premiere episode will pick up literally minutes after the season finale. Let's hope it's a good one.

BarbarousBertha posted:

And the writers gush in every drat interview about how they write by the seat of their pants because why plan ahead?

It's at least honest, unlike the writers of Lost and BSG who swore up and down that they had plans, but it was actually just seat-of-the-pants throw-in-whatever-who-cares.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

4x01 – “Thanks for the Memories” :siren: SEASON PREMIERE
Questions are raised about the events at Nick’s house. Nick has to deal with the fallout of losing his powers, just as a new, memory-consuming Wesen arrives in Portland. Adalind returns to Vienna, expecting Viktor to have her baby.

Grimm returns tonight. A lot of people don't like the look of Nick getting depowered, with memories of Juliette's season-spanning amnesia/obsession plotline. Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical about that as well. It's ostensibly because they never really explored Nick as a "normal person", but well, "Nick as a normal person" isn't exactly what people tuned in to watch for in the first place, now is it? It's unlikely that Nick will be re-powered before the mid-season mark. Adalind is once again back in Europe.

Still though, there are some potentially interesting things to come. Teresa will have to step up and help Nick out more than she ever expected. Wu has seen the Grimm books, and he'll likely start poking around asking questions. Adalind will probably not be pleased at all that Viktor does not, in fact, have her child. And Reynard is fighting for his life in the hospital.

The premiere episode will pick up literally minutes after the season finale. Let's hope it's a good one.

It's at least honest, unlike the writers of Lost and BSG who swore up and down that they had plans, but it was actually just seat-of-the-pants throw-in-whatever-who-cares.

The part in your spoiler about the Memory wiping Wesen has me intrigued. What if, he wipes Nick's mind and in the process gives him his power back, because why the gently caress not?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'd love for them to defy expectations and not drag powerless Nick out for more than an episode or two. But I have no faith that they will.

Prove me wrong, Grimm writers!

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

hcreight posted:

I'd love for them to defy expectations and not drag powerless Nick out for more than an episode or two. But I have no faith that they will.

Prove me wrong, Grimm writers!

Nick'll get his mojo back sooner or later. For my part, I am eager to bear witness to the glorious smackdown that will ensue when Juliette meets up with Adalind.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Hey, Nick and Hank figured out that Adalind de-powered Nick because she made a deal with the royals. Wu is definitely freaking out a little.

EDIT: Well, that's certainly a cliffhanger way to end the episode.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 25, 2014

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Did...did they just call Wu 'Jeremy'? Isn't his name Drew?

Also, fucccckkkk I guess Sasha Roiz' contract negotiation didn't end well.....

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

I guess pretty much nobody's watching this, anymore. AVClub canceled its coverage (oh no, now who will hamfistedly try to force Buffy comparisons down the show's throat every ep!), nobody's posting much about it here.... ah well.

It was a fun episode, all in all. The Case Of The Week really felt like it was interfering with the much more interesting main line of the plot, and I'd have been happier having it relegated to a standalone future episode so that the show could focus on the story first. I like the cut of the new FBI agent's jib, and hope she stays around; similarly, I think Renard is a fakeout and am half-anticipating half-dreading what shenanigans will come around to save him after being called dead on the table.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So, what are the chances of the lady seen at the end being his mother or maybe sister? She seemed pretty upset, and we know he's half Hexebiest, and since his dad is apparently the "King" that would make his dad human, right?

I also think it's a fakeout death. I expect his heart to start back up at the beginning of the next episode, or the lady at the end to somehow work a way to bring him back.

Not liking this normal Nick, though. I hope he gets his powers back either next episode or the following. Any longer and it'll be stupid.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mukaikubo posted:

I guess pretty much nobody's watching this, anymore. AVClub canceled its coverage (oh no, now who will hamfistedly try to force Buffy comparisons down the show's throat every ep!), nobody's posting much about it here.... ah well.

It was a fun episode, all in all. The Case Of The Week really felt like it was interfering with the much more interesting main line of the plot, and I'd have been happier having it relegated to a standalone future episode so that the show could focus on the story first. I like the cut of the new FBI agent's jib, and hope she stays around; similarly, I think Renard is a fakeout and am half-anticipating half-dreading what shenanigans will come around to save him after being called dead on the table.

I just watched the premiere on Hulu. It was fine. I'll probably continue watching it when I have time, which is never live, for better or worse. The problem, I think, is this:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

:siren: Best Wishes for Monroe and Rosalee (Holy crap, this is amazing, watch this right now) :siren:

It's awesome. All these characters are really fun, and although you don't see it in that video, they bounce off each other in entertaining ways. The show itself just goes for a serious-99%-of-the-time tone. Like, Bud is everyone's favorite character, but he just straight up doesn't work in the version of the show that we have.

3-4 years is a long time to constantly be thinking "that was fine, but man, this show could be really entertaining."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Mukaikubo posted:

It's clear that there wasn't enough time to deal with all the loose ends from last week's episode. This is another two-part season premiere. The octopus/mind-flayer guy will be back next week. Wisely, they at least omitted Adalind.

PureRok posted:

So, what are the chances of the lady seen at the end being his mother or maybe sister? She seemed pretty upset, and we know he's half Hexebiest, and since his dad is apparently the "King" that would make his dad human, right?

I also think it's a fakeout death. I expect his heart to start back up at the beginning of the next episode, or the lady at the end to somehow work a way to bring him back.

The woman's hair reminded me of Adalind's, so I suspect that this is Reynard's mother, who's also a Hexenbiest. My guess is that she'll have some trick to help save Reynard's life.

Reynard's father is a Royal, which is apparently different than a normal human, given the Big Deal Adalind carrying a child with Royal blood was. The theory which make the most sense to me is that it's possibly a special/elite kind of Grimm, but who knows.

quote:

Not liking this normal Nick, though. I hope he gets his powers back either next episode or the following. Any longer and it'll be stupid.

That ain't happening, and I don't know why people even have hope that it will. Taking his powers away seems like it would be a much bigger deal than for just two-four episodes.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 25, 2014

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Boxman posted:

I just watched the premiere on Hulu. It was fine. I'll probably continue watching it when I have time, which is never live, for better or worse. The problem, I think, is this:

It's awesome. All these characters are really fun, and although you don't see it in that video, they bounce off each other in entertaining ways. The show itself just goes for a serious-99%-of-the-time tone. Like, Bud is everyone's favorite character, but he just straight up doesn't work in the version of the show that we have.

3-4 years is a long time to constantly be thinking "that was fine, but man, this show could be really entertaining."

You're right, though I'm more generous to it than you are, I think. It's a very frustrating show in that it can be great, and it shows flashes of being great- back in the first season, that episode with the not-hansel and not-gretel was exceptional and gave me a lot of hope, and I consistently adore the worldbuilding and lighter moments when they give themselves a chance to own it- but week in and week out, my reaction is yeah- "I enjoyed watching that. Gosh, that could have been so much better in a few pretty clear ways!" That's enough for me to keep following it week after week, and four years in I'm finally cured of my hope that it'll ever be consistently better than "good", but it doesn't stop me from hoping.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I agree that the case of the week felt really shoehorned in and this isn't the first time that's happened. They put together a formula in seasons 1 and 2 and they're sticking to it to the detriment of everything else.

What's the point of having Nick and Hank investigate a Wesen of the Week when Nick can't see them anymore? This seems like the perfect excuse to shake free of that formula and not waste episode time, but instead they straitjacketed the case into the story, rushed through the important stuff and had to crowbar Trubel into the Grimm role and it's really messy.

I like this show. I like the majority of the cast and I like the world. I just wish the writers would do more with everything.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

I like this show. I like the majority of the cast and I like the world. I just wish the writers would do more with everything.

Well, they're not gonna and they don't see why they should. Two years more to find out what the map leads to? Whatever.

I'm in the "when I have time eh" camp for sure, and if Renard's death sticks it won't even be that. Shirtless Sean and Monroe sweaters are pretty much the two things that keep me tuning in every week. I'm far from hatewatching, but watching Grimm is becoming for me what watching the first season of Agents of SHIELD quickly became: "I'll play the episode in the background so I keep up in case something good actually happens." That payed off with SHIELD but I don't see any reason it will for Grimm.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Some Numbers posted:

I wish the writers were a little more ambitious, and it is odd for a genre show to make it this long and still stick with monster of the week format.
But Grimm is a feel good show for me, i love the world and the cast works to well together, there is nothing stopping it from being better, but as it is, it always makes me happy.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
I didn't watch the first season when it aired, but Stabbey's OPs, GrimmWiki, and the second season got me into it. (I did watch the fist eventually.) I feel like many of you do. Do I have to spoiler preview talk? When Nick says "maybe I don't want my powers back" made me want to hurl poo poo at the TV. So, for many years you just killed about 50 different species of Wesen, but so long as you can't see them first-woge your life would magically go back to normal? Everyone who had beef with you would forgive you? Who could write that? He should feel like a walking bullseye without his power. He should desire it back with intensity more than adalind wanted hers.

That would make for a compelling and interesting character, instead we will get a talk with Juliette over tea about how maybe this is a blessing and blah blah.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

I dont think he really meant what he said and his actions in the rest of the episode with regard to the case seem to back that up.

I am glad this show is back.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Nick really was finally getting into his groove with being a Grimm and enjoying his role. However, there's no denying that it has a personal cost.

In S1, him keeping the secret made Juliette turn down his proposal, and him revealing his secret to her in the finale made her think he was literally insane.

S2 Juliette getting put into a coma/getting amnesia was a direct result of him being a Grimm coming back to bite him, and it screwed up their relationship for months. Juliette was enjoying helping out until Adalind came back, and Nick brought Trubel to stay in their house without consulting her first. And of course, Adalind sleeping with Nick was another consequence of his Grimmness, and Juliette flat-out told Nick that she didn't think she could take this sort of thing happening anymore.

Nick doesn't hate being a Grimm (anymore), but he does hate the problems being a Grimm has caused between him and Juliette. However much Nick wants to be a Grimm, he wants to keep Juliette more.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I just want this show to end with Nick and Adalind alone on a barren and scorched Earth, their escalating attempts to gently caress each others lives over as much as possible having reached the inevitable tragic end.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
Juliette seems to have had a serious turnaround since the end of the last season. Maybe I'm having some selective memory issues here, but I seem to recall her being very Done with everything. Now she's being very defensive about what happened.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
Yeah, the whole Renard thing is obviously a fake out. I, too am hoping they don't drag the whole powerless Nick thing out for too long, as that would suck.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Merlinicus posted:

Juliette seems to have had a serious turnaround since the end of the last season. Maybe I'm having some selective memory issues here, but I seem to recall her being very Done with everything. Now she's being very defensive about what happened.

Well, Adaline banged her fiance using a spell to look exactly like her, revenge on that bitch is probably the foremost thing in her mind and she might feel some resentment towards Nick but can't quite blame him for it.

Also, its about time they bring in Wu. He's already had his mind broken once, he's gone around terrified he'll see things that "aren't" real, he's seen the Grimm journal, he knows something is off, and letting him suffer just because Monroe is antsy about more people knowing is bullshit. Wu may not be as close to Nick as Hank but he's still definitely a friend and his role as a patrol cop means they can call him for a specific kind of help that Hank can't.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

pentyne posted:

Well, Adaline banged her fiance using a spell to look exactly like her, revenge on that bitch is probably the foremost thing in her mind and she might feel some resentment towards Nick but can't quite blame him for it.
I mean either would be understandable, but she seems to have flipped from angry at everyone to revenge mode for no reason from the season finale to the new season premier.

pentyne posted:

Also, its about time they bring in Wu. He's already had his mind broken once, he's gone around terrified he'll see things that "aren't" real, he's seen the Grimm journal, he knows something is off, and letting him suffer just because Monroe is antsy about more people knowing is bullshit. Wu may not be as close to Nick as Hank but he's still definitely a friend and his role as a patrol cop means they can call him for a specific kind of help that Hank can't.

The hospital scene was such a tease, I was very :getin: when Hank was just about to tell Wu, then the Doctor comes out and interrupts everything. I feel like they'll tell him in the next couple of episodes.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Boxman posted:

Pretty much where I'm at. I think Arrow and Scandal (S2 and S3 anyway) have broken me -- it's really hard now to watch shows where the overarching plot moves at normal speed rather than at Mach 10, let alone Grimm which tends to drag it out as slowly as possible. The characters would be fun and interesting enough to carry it, but the wesen-of-the-week and Adalind B-plots leave very little time for those great character moments either.

I'm still keeping up with it, but it's become clear that Grimm's probably never going to become a must-watch-ASAP show for me.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Arrow has definitely spoiled me, too. With Grimm, it's now to the point where thinking about what I'd do differently is as much or more fun than actually watching, and it mostly centers around speeding up the narrative and tightening the scope and focus.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Orphan Black moved at Mach-10 and look what that got you. A meandering as all hell second season which had maybe 5 really good moments total. Most of which involved Helena.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Party Plane Jones posted:

Orphan Black moved at Mach-10 and look what that got you. A meandering as all hell second season which had maybe 5 really good moments total. Most of which involved Helena.

But that's just a matter of planning far enough ahead.

Grimm's writers have said they do not plan ahead at all. :(

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Merlinicus posted:

With Juliette I think it's mostly a boundary thing. When we meet her and Nick it's pretty clear that they're in a long-term, committed relationship and probably have been for some time. Even if they aren't married, Juliette is kind of a "cop's wife." Once she finally got clued into the whole Grimm/Wesen thing, she was able to look at it from that aspect - that Nick was essentially kind of a special sort of cop. In some ways the revelation of the Grimm stuff made her relationship with Nick even better. She's friends with Monroe and Rosalee. She can even sometimes help Nick with his cases by using her knowledge of science and veterinary medicine. Life was good.

The came the latter part of last season. Nick's mother brought Adalind Schade, the hexenbitch who turned most of the previous season into Juliette's personal coma/amnesia hell, into her and Nick home to stay with them without asking. That didn't last, but then Nick decided to bring Trubel, a pretty, troubled, somewhat murderous young woman to stay in their home also without asking. Then Adalind stole Juliette's form and used it to seduce Nick in their own bed. Finally, Nick's boss was shot in their house by a guy who was then beheaded, also in their home.

Just look at Juliette's face as she's walking through the house looking at the blood, bullet holes, messed up bed and her nightgown (which Adalind wore). Her anger and resentment have coalesced into a cold fury at Adalind as the author of these continual violation of the sanctity of her home. It's been made fairly clear that Juliette is a somewhat territorial person. Violating Juliette's personal or living space is a sure way to draw her anger as witness what she did to the ogre in season 1 and the abuser in season 3 (and for that matter her driving off an obsessed Renard with gunfire in Season 2).

What we saw over the previous episode was Juliette's resentment of these repeated violations go from a generalized anger toward the universe at large (and certain people in it) to a cold, practical determination that Adalind will be continuing threat unless and until she's put down like a sick animal. And who better to put down a sick animal than a veterinarian?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Accretionist posted:

But that's just a matter of planning far enough ahead.

Grimm's writers have said they do not plan ahead at all. :(

The whole "Wessen can spot Grimms" things was always ambiguous until they had to come up with a reason why. Fanon thought that Wessen would spot their woge in a Grimm's eyes but it ended up that the seem a Grimm's eyes as jet black when it happens.

The key thing is really galling, because its been 4 seasons and almost nothing has happened with it other then "this key is SO IMPORTANT" and minor clues since then but generally nothing else.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
It's a loving crime that Juliet is a part of the Scooby crew and Wu isn't. Maybe the squid guy will suck out Nick's memories of her, and she will finally go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Brocktoon posted:

It's a loving crime that Juliet is a part of the Scooby crew and Wu isn't. Maybe the squid guy will suck out Nick's memories of her, and she will finally go away.

Not that I don't think Wu absolutely deserves to be clued in, but Juliet is awesome*.

*as long as she doesn't have amnesia

• Locked thread