Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

pasaluki posted:

I didn't like Trubel at first but now she's the best character besides Monroe.

A lot of why she is awesome is because she's like a fast forward button for boring plots. She actually does things instead of just talk about them. I was worried because she had a "dark backstory" the show would dwell on it or use it as a crutch. But instead of dragging the plot down she does the most to actually advance the plot.

She gets right in the face of people and finds out wtf is going on in 10 seconds where it takes Nick and Hank forever.

The whole wesen attacking Nick subplot she basically demolished before it began. She's the one who essentially told Nick and Juliet to just gently caress already because she was sick of them being so needy.

Trubel rules and has made the show better and more entertaining. Hopefully the show realizes they lucked out with the actress and character and doesn't mess it up!

I think the main difference between Trubel and Nick is that Nick has been trained to go through due process and as an officer of the law it would be kind of bad if he just went and slashed some guys tires (to be fair, because Nick also has said job as a detective he isn't as aware of these things as Trubel is), whereas Trubel has been in and out of mental hospitals AND has killed how many people since her Grimm aspect awoke?

Trubel gives no fucks about law and order and yes the show is better for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
This episode was leaps and bounds better than previous, but I was surprised to see so many comments and no one point out what I thought was an obvious plan for the writers: Josh and Trubel get together. Whether he Grimms or not, she will become his lover and savior and they can go off to wherever they go off to and be written out of the show. Why else bring Josh back? He is either going to be a Grimm, or he will become Adalind-level/Juliette-coma of annoying levels with his innocence of and perplexed amazement of everything his dad tried to tell him about.

"I don't have any idea how to use [a machete]!" poo poo. I am dreading his character's reappearance already.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

JD Bucks 7 posted:

This episode was leaps and bounds better than previous, but I was surprised to see so many comments and no one point out what I thought was an obvious plan for the writers: Josh and Trubel get together. Whether he Grimms or not, she will become his lover and savior and they can go off to wherever they go off to and be written out of the show. Why else bring Josh back? He is either going to be a Grimm, or he will become Adalind-level/Juliette-coma of annoying levels with his innocence of and perplexed amazement of everything his dad tried to tell him about.

"I don't have any idea how to use [a machete]!" poo poo. I am dreading his character's reappearance already.

I think a lot of people did comment on it, and yeah, that's probably happening to the extreme hindrance of the show going forward.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Why does everyone keep coming up with the idea that Trubel is going to be written out? I'm going to go against the flow and say she isn't.:colbert:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

hollylolly posted:

Why does everyone keep coming up with the idea that Trubel is going to be written out? I'm going to go against the flow and say she isn't.:colbert:

I hope she sticks around and starts getting bit parts in action movies.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Accretionist posted:

If thru ever make a movie on the Mistborn series she's exactly what I pictured for the Vin character.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hollylolly posted:

Because Jacqueline Toboni is only credited as a guest star in her second season. It could be a case of an incompetent agent, but if they planned to use her in most of the episodes she should have full cast status. Since she doesn't have it, odds are good she's going to disappear in the next two episodes, either permanently or until the season finale.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Jedit posted:

Because Jacqueline Toboni is only credited as a guest star in her second season. It could be a case of an incompetent agent, but if they planned to use her in most of the episodes she should have full cast status. Since she doesn't have it, odds are good she's going to disappear in the next two episodes, either permanently or until the season finale.

Amber Benson was on Buffy for almost three full seasons and was credited as a guest star until her final episode.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Do guest stars get paid less? She is rather new to the industry, right?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

ETB posted:

Do guest stars get paid less? She is rather new to the industry, right?

Just checked the original article I read about how she got the role. I didn't know if she had graduated college yet or not. At the time of that article, they expected her to graduate with her class, so she shouldn't have had to take time off of shooting to finish this season.

Accretionist posted:

Yes. She is loving awesome to watch fight.

Here's an article from May about how awesome the cast is. The site makes you answer 2 questions in order to read the article, which is loving annoying. I just thought it was cool that Sasha Roiz loaned her his bike.

quote:

Sasha Roiz, who plays Captain Renard on "Grimm," "lent me his bike, so I was able to get around. I'm thankful to the people there for, number one keeping it weird, and just for welcome me with open arms."

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 2, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Bored posted:

Yes. She is loving awesome to watch fight.

She's actually certified in stage combat!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Accretionist posted:

I wonder how much she's taught the rest of the crew, namely Nick. :smug:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Accretionist posted:

I know. I actually searched for that after her fight with whatever-the-shoplifting-monster-was. I was like,"She is awesome at this and dancers usually don't even make fight choreography look that awesome. What is her background that she is so good at this?" She actually puts a lot of power into the choreography and I don't think I've seen a woman, even in action films, put that kind of power into fight choreography before. I thought it was really cool. She gives the moves weight, is what I mean, if that makes sense.

Like, last week, I was watching Nick fight to try to figure out if he makes the moves look as awesome. But I think they choreograph differently for him, which makes sense for the character as well as the actor, so it was difficult to say. It was still an awesome fight scene, but didn't make me think,"gently caress, he is awesome," like Trubels fight scenes do.

Bored fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 2, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Bored posted:

She gives the moves weight, is what I mean, if that makes sense.

Absolutely, it looks like if she missed there'd be a stunt guy taking the rest of the day off. It's much, much better than seeing another poor actress in high heels trying not to fall over during high kicks.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 3, 2014

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
When Trouble first showed up, I wasn't expecting to like her. I assumed it was going to be the classic cliche of the insane, evil character who shows the hero how he himself could have turned out if he had made the wrong choices and fell to the dark side. I thought she'd be all broody and dark, refuse to be a team player, snap at anyone's attempts to help her or befriend her. I've seen that character so many times before, and I'm so tired of that character.

And that's just what she was... for maybe one episode. Then instead, she started to grow in a refreshingly realistic way, and sidestepped most of the dark, broody angst I had been expecting and dreading. She's great.

And yeah, her action scenes look great. They actually cast someone who could sell a fight scene, and it makes all the difference.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Well, or they could actually be advancing the key plot. Maybe.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

JD Bucks 7 posted:

I was surprised to see so many comments and no one point out what I thought was an obvious plan for the writers: Josh and Trubel get together. Whether he Grimms or not, she will become his lover and savior and they can go off to wherever they go off to and be written out of the show.

Is this sarcasm? I've been reading the tumblr thread and I can't quite tell if you are serious about this or not.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Thank Christ for a good Grimm episode. It's been a while.
The actor doing Josh, as well as the character seemed much more on the ball this time. I really liked the interplay between him and Trubel in Nick's house. His fear was a unrealistic, Buffy-type of fear. Very "Oh, I'm so afraid right now, but still funny".Still, at least he was emoting all over the place instead of being so bland. I don't really mind him starting out as a Shaggie-type character who turns Grimm somewhere down the road.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 4, 2014

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

Sash! posted:

Is this sarcasm? I've been reading the tumblr thread and I can't quite tell if you are serious about this or not.

CTRL+F on page 5 give me nothing. page 6 gives me people thinking that he will magically be a Grimm. So, yea, "they" discussed Josh, but not in the sense he is a weak rear end "I don't even know how to use a machete" (spoiler: you swing it) and I don't see him and Trubel hitting it off absent her protecting him, or him becoming a Grimm. Not much of what people discussed, which, sadly is all of 5 goons, so we know where the show's ratings are ultimately going.

BTW: Is having an SA account now tied to reading or giving a poo poo about Tumblr? If so, i didn't get the memo.

JD Bucks 7 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 4, 2014

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I think he's saying that the Trubel + Josh theory you propose as 'obvious' is terrible and sounds like something a tumblr shipper came up with (he's been reading the SA thread about tumbr recently and couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not).

But I could be wrong!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

hollylolly posted:

I think he's saying that the Trubel + Josh theory you propose as 'obvious' is terrible and sounds like something a tumblr shipper came up with (he's been reading the SA thread about tumbr recently and couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not).

But I could be wrong!

You are correct!

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I can't see Theresa having any romantic interest in Josh. Or even non-romantic interest in Josh. Outside of Nick, the person Theresa seems to care about the most is Juliette, likely because Juliette feeds her and bullies her into clothes shopping on Juliette's dime. Also, Juliette once beat the holy living gently caress out of a Klaustreich, so the two can bond over that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
4x07 – “The Grimm Who Stole Christmas”
Nick, Hank, Monroe, and Rosalee search for a trio of mischief-making Wesen who are drawn to destroying Christmas decorations.

I'm pretty sure this is the Fall Finale. Also the timeline for Grimm must be all over the map, because only a short time has passed since Monroe and Rosalee's wedding, and wasn't that supposed to be in the Spring?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'd guess we're getting at least one or two more episodes, because 7 is really early for a fall finale.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
According to Wikipedia the midseason finale is next week and then the show's back January 9th. Can't complain about that, considering some of the big gaps between episodes this show has had before.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
There's at least one more new Grimm coming next week.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

johntfs posted:

There's at least one more new Grimm coming next week.

Okay. I was only basing my guess on the fact that it seems like this would be the Christmas episode, and it would seem odd to have another episode afterwards. I guess that one could still be set before Christmas, though.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I'm going to be really sad when that train turns out to be an omen. :(

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"...so there's actually a reason for fruitcake"
This show.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Grimm Season 4: "...so there's actually a reason for fruitcake."

Nooooooo, Trubel, don't leave!

legoman727 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 6, 2014

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Oh gently caress you show.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Fruitcake owns. gently caress you, Grimm.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I was wondering where that car went.

But oh no I don't wanna see it leave like that :(

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

hollylolly posted:

Bored posted:

hollylolly posted:

But I could be wrong!

johntfs posted:

I can't see Theresa having any romantic interest in Josh. Or even non-romantic interest in Josh. Outside of Nick, the person Theresa seems to care about the most is Juliette, likely because Juliette feeds her and bullies her into clothes shopping on Juliette's dime. Also, Juliette once beat the holy living gently caress out of a Klaustreich, so the two can bond over that.

I'm laughing at this point because it's easier to laugh than rage. Clearly there's only no romantic interest because the writers were in too much of a hurry to get Trubel off the show to develop even that much. We thought "No, the writers can't possibly be that bad at their jobs". Surprise! They might be that bad at their jobs. Honestly, am I going to come back to this show after the winter break? I dunno. Maybe? poo poo. Trubel was a desperately needed breath of fresh air, and the writers just kind of shrugged and hastily wrote her off. Maybe she'll come back for Special Appearances down the line, but I guess they didn't want her on the main cast for reasons. loving christ, Monroe and Rosalee are the last things on the show that regularly show up that I actually enjoy watching more often than not.

Are we just, like, deciding to drop FBI Conspiracy Birdcop Plot? I mean, I wouldn't be that surprised given Grimm's tentative and distrustful approach to continuity, but that seems like a lot of effort to be tossed out with Trubel. That's literally the only thing giving me hope that this might be a grand fakeout, which would be Really loving Stupid but not as Really loving Stupid as actually getting rid of the character outright.

But no, I guess we've got to free up more time for loving Adalind in Vienna. gently caress this show.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm laughing at this point because it's easier to laugh than rage. Clearly there's only no romantic interest because the writers were in too much of a hurry to get Trubel off the show to develop even that much. We thought "No, the writers can't possibly be that bad at their jobs". Surprise! They might be that bad at their jobs. Honestly, am I going to come back to this show after the winter break? I dunno. Maybe? poo poo. Trubel was a desperately needed breath of fresh air, and the writers just kind of shrugged and hastily wrote her off. Maybe she'll come back for Special Appearances down the line, but I guess they didn't want her on the main cast for reasons. loving christ, Monroe and Rosalee are the last things on the show that regularly show up that I actually enjoy watching more often than not.

Are we just, like, deciding to drop FBI Conspiracy Birdcop Plot? I mean, I wouldn't be that surprised given Grimm's tentative and distrustful approach to continuity, but that seems like a lot of effort to be tossed out with Trubel. That's literally the only thing giving me hope that this might be a grand fakeout, which would be Really loving Stupid but not as Really loving Stupid as actually getting rid of the character outright.

But no, I guess we've got to free up more time for loving Adalind in Vienna. gently caress this show.

Pretty sure nobody would have given him a hard time if he hadn't said they were going to be "lovers". I even went back after he was so baffled by my response to make sure I didn't misread that he thought they were going to become romantically involved. I still don't think they are saying that Truble and Josh are gonna hook-up, that way. All of the posts your quoted said that Truble will not likely be sleeping with Josh because that is weird. The posts said nothing about Truble leaving the show and the writers using Josh as an excuse. It was a weird comment. It is weird when people automatically jump to the conclusion that when two single people talk, they will soon be loving.

Also. You need to calm down. The actress might have other work to do and this was the easiest way the writers could think to write her off for the moment. For the most part, this show has been very good at writing against our expectations, which is one of the reasons I like it.

Bored fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 6, 2014

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Maybe they'll give her and Josh screentime? I'd be pretty happy if they ripped off Supernatural for a few episodes and then had some 'Filmed on location in Philadelphia!' action.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The best part about this week was no Adalind. Trubel leaving is a major disappointment though (but hey, Wu will finally learn what's what next week.

You'd also think that Nick would have by this point just scanned all his books rather than going out to the trailer every other five minutes.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This show is called GRIMM, not Grimms. Of course Trubbel was temporary until Nick was re-powered. Maybe her leaving will allow Wu's storyline to be resolved...naw, probably not.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Party Plane Jones posted:

You'd also think that Nick would have by this point just scanned all his books rather than going out to the trailer every other five minutes.

Digital databases/libraries aren't necessarily fully secure and there's probably quite a few secrets in the Grimm journals that need to stay secret. Magic aside, it's pretty goddam difficult to "hack" paper.

Theresa will be missed, but hopefully she can return later in the season (probably being chased by Royal assassins) or maybe get her own Grimm spin-off next fall. I liked that we got one last dose of her "Let's get this poo poo done" attitude in her locating the Wesen KKK. I also liked her "We're Grimms. Can't we just go over there now and stomp these fuckers into a mudhole already?"

I'm wondering if Juliette's actually pregnant and if it'll turn into some weird fast-growing Hexengrimm superbaby.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

johntfs posted:

Digital databases/libraries aren't necessarily fully secure and there's probably quite a few secrets in the Grimm journals that need to stay secret. Magic aside, it's pretty goddam difficult to "hack" paper.

Who said it had to be networked? You'd need to physical access then, which compromises books all the same.

Point being that Team Grimm needs an IT guy. I wonder how Wu is with computers?

• Locked thread