Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best RTS of 1997 is......
This poll is closed.
Total Annihilation 42 22.58%
StarCraft 31 16.67%
...d-d-DARK REIGN??!?!????! 31 16.67%
??????????????????????????????????? 28 15.05%
:yayclod: 54 29.03%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
obviously Total Annihilation is the really innovative and awesome RTS game of 1997!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

starcraft is ok

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Ok.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

starcraft is ok

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

op is dumb but total a was very cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that cloud is loving adorable

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
but you see, 12 units is a massive part of the gameplay, and letting you select more makes it impossible to do any micro

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I too like slamming giant balls of soliders into eachother over and over, that's why instead of RTS I just play with plastic soliders.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
yeah it's too bad you can only select a giant ball and nothing else ever :/ what were they thinking

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Looks like only two people on this forum know how to vote on checkbox polls correctly.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

darealkooky posted:

I too like slamming giant balls of soliders into eachother over and over, that's why instead of RTS I just play with plastic soliders.

this pretends that SC wasn't famous for things like Zergling Rushes or Mass Carriers.

hell they might not have been pro level korean strategies, but it's not like the 12 unit limit actually stopped anybody from doing it, just made it a more annoying game to play

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

maybe it isnt fair to compare SC to a game made 1 year after it, but AoE2 had a 40 unit cap and soldiers that would automatically move in formation without needing to constantly micro obvious poo poo like keeping the archers behind the swordsmen

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.

lesbian baphomet posted:

maybe it isnt fair to compare SC to a game made 1 year after it, but AoE2 had a 40 unit cap and soldiers that would automatically move in formation without needing to constantly micro obvious poo poo like keeping the archers behind the swordsmen

I still play AoE and RoN. I do not still play Starcraft. Just sayin

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I still play Starcraft

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mxypu9WC8c

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 21, 2014

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/429573-broodwar-and-starcraft-2-pathing

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

no, no we have to stop it here or me, you, and dareelkooky will be stuck in this time loop forever

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

sc lets you click the units until they say funny things... thats the real game and its better than total crapalation.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
I like star craft

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i was good at zergling rushes but nothing else

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

lesbian baphomet posted:

AOE also has six different types of units (stab man, archer, counter archer, horseman, seige and monks) that are all basically the exact same while starcraft has about 13 totally unique units for each race and is much more about how unit A beats unit B

you'll notice that every AOE game that isn't "build a barracks outside their base the second I hit feudal age and go to town" ends up with giant 100something balls of units slamming into eachother, often several times, that's because AOE is all about the resources and map control (this is called "marco" to the koreans) while starcraft is a lot more about making each unit count ("micro"

like sure starcraft technically has a pretty high unit count and massing units is very much a thing, but the game is designed in such a way that you can't just attack move your entire army at once and watch (notice how much stronger mass marines are in starcraft 2 vs 1 because with bigger unit control groups they're essentially one giant marine that autogibs anything it aims at)

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.

darealkooky posted:

AOE also has six different types of units (stab man, archer, counter archer, horseman, seige and monks) that are all basically the exact same while starcraft has about 13 totally unique units for each race and is much more about how unit A beats unit B

you'll notice that every AOE game that isn't "build a barracks outside their base the second I hit feudal age and go to town" ends up with giant 100something balls of units slamming into eachother, often several times, that's because AOE is all about the resources and map control (this is called "marco" to the koreans) while starcraft is a lot more about making each unit count ("micro"

like sure starcraft technically has a pretty high unit count and massing units is very much a thing, but the game is designed in such a way that you can't just attack move your entire army at once and watch (notice how much stronger mass marines are in starcraft 2 vs 1 because with bigger unit control groups they're essentially one giant marine that autogibs anything it aims at)

Yeah but AoE has wololo

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFVdRi0BCjw

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

lol at the idea of lumping all the Aoe siege weapons into the same thing, as though you could group a trebuchet with a mangonel with a cannon and not eat poo poo+die

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Rancid Turd Shits.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Start Crapping as soon as I see this game, cuz it gives me diarrhea.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ragg posted:

Rancid Turd Shits.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ragg posted:

Start Crapping as soon as I see this game, cuz it gives me diarrhea.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's incredibly stupid that "micromanagement" ever became a good thing somehow, and not an obvious symptom of a severe design flaw.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

ty for reminding me that I have TA discs hiding somewhere and that I should play it

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

Falsum fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 21, 2014

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
MIcro is for korean bug-men.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Checked all the boxes as any true video game lover should.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Ion Helmet posted:

I think it's incredibly stupid that "micromanagement" ever became a good thing somehow, and not an obvious symptom of a severe design flaw.

look at that one link falsum posted about how everything good in starcraft is awful design that makes it ~deep~

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I think micromanagement works in some games which are focused on a squad of units like Dawn of War 2. But I don't like high amounts of it in games that have a split focus in base building where by necessity you're sometimes not looking in the right place via semi-random chance.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
You could certainly argue that Starcraft's worth as a competitive game is accidental and born out of bad design (although is it necessarily bad design if it gives such good results?), but saying micromanagement is never a good thing is mind-numbingly stupid.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Falsum posted:

but saying micromanagement is never a good thing is mind-numbingly stupid.

maybe for weird korean RTSes perhaps, but in everyday jobs micromanagement absolutely sucks huge amount of donkey dick and its gay as gently caress and harms productivity

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I'm more of a warcraftian.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Kylra posted:

I think micromanagement works in some games which are focused on a squad of units like Dawn of War 2. But I don't like high amounts of it in games that have a split focus in base building where by necessity you're sometimes not looking in the right place via semi-random chance.

want to make your eyes bleed watch any competitive rts game play and watch at the screen bounces around like a loving pingpong ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

BERGfu posted:

want to make your eyes bleed watch any competitive rts game play and watch at the screen bounces around like a loving pingpong ball.

That's why they have spec modes.

• Locked thread