Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

click for trailer

What's this?
Armored Core V is a game about giant customized robots fighting other giant customized robots and looking cool in the process. They tend to be extremely poorly explained as well. V is something like the 14th game in the Armored Core series and while the series is popular enough in Japan to keep it running, it's a pretty niche game everywhere else.

The gist of the games is that you play as a mercenary with a giant robot. In V, you primarily fight on the behalf of one faction, but whether that's due to ~ideals~ or the fact that they pay you utterly ridiculous amounts of money gold is left unexplained.

V and its sequel/expansion Verdict Day were developed in an effort to bring the gameplay closer to that of the slower PS and PS2 era-games in response to 4 and For Answer's idiotically twitchy pace. Most of the good mechanics from 4/4A carried over into V/VD, and I'm of the opinion that they managed to find a very good middle ground in the process. It would be a stretch to call the game good, but it's definitely fun. Multiplayer is tactical, teamwork makes a difference, and they managed to greatly diversify the mech designs that got brought into games.

Too bad the servers for V are down now. Multiplayer in VD is almost dead, but you can still play it if you can get enough people together.

these words are gibberish
Much like the plot. I'll clarify as we go on.

Why are you playing this?
These games have a terrible learning curve. You get dumped into a customization area with zero explanation and are immediately assaulted by walls of numbers and words that make absolutely no sense. Most people I've seen that try and get into the games wind up putting them down in frustration. I don't know of anyone off the top of my head who has tried to teach how the games work, so I figured I might as well try my hand at it. Playing through single player is just to show it off, as V has on average the longest story levels out of any of the AC games.

What makes you qualified?
First of all, I'm willing to spend money on these awful games.

I've been playing the series since the third game, Master of Arena, and kept up with it ever since. I played a fair amount of multiplayer in 4/4A and V/VD, and while the scenes were very short-lived, they would help you get real good real quick. Multiplayer in these games is obscenely unforgiving, and many people tend to give up quickly after the Nth time of getting curb stomped without dealing a single point of damage in return.

I managed to stick around long enough to wind up on the giving end of that, and the goon team was actually not bad while we were active. I'll talk about a lot of the stuff I saw and learned, since it's mostly tribal knowledge that will die off if it's not recorded. Maybe I'll be able to get Nanomashoes or TPS to get in here and talk about some old matches and ridiculous gimmicks.

what the gently caress is even happening I thought that guy was dead and why do you have dumb tank legs and
Because anime.

If it doesn't make sense, you're right. Just post your questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Story Missions are the main plot, Garage Talk is about the game itself, and Order Battles are moneygrinding garbage with some dialogue.

pre:
01 Story -01?:    Intro + Tutorial Section
02 Garage Talk 1: How to Robot
03 Story 00:      Only the Finest in Placeholder Names
04 Paint Shop 1:  Gundam Unicorn
05 Garage Talk 2: Legs
06 Order 01-09:   The Murderhobo Life Chose Me
07 Story 01:      gently caress Trains
08 Order 10-16:   Energy Crisis
09 Order 17-22:   Trash Mobs
10 Order 23-27:   Men of Honor
11 Garage Talk 3: Energy
12 Paint Shop 2:  blue makes it go faster
13 Story 02:      seriously, gently caress trains
14 Order 28-34:   A Bad Big O Knockoff
15 Order 35-39:   BURNING FINGER
16 Order 40-43:   Shocking Revelation!
17 Order 44-46:   Gentleman's Duel
18 Story 03:      Dumpster Diving
19 Story 04:      There and Back Again
20 Order 47-50:   Reganomics
21 Order 51-54:   The True ACV Experience
22 Story 05:      Infighting
23 Order 55-58:   Oldschool is Dead
24 Order 59-61:   The Quality of Quantity
25 Story 06:      Low Effort Coup
26 Order 62-65:   Downhill From Here
27 Order 66-68:   Ask Jeeves
28 Order 69-71:   Mad at Videogames
29 Order 72:      Somebody Kill Me (and Regan)
30 Order 73-76:   The Arena
31 Order 77-80:   Mailing It In
32 Paintshop 3:   My Love For You Is Like A Truck
33 Story 07:      All Aboard the Autocannon Express
34 Story 08:      City Escape
35 Story 09:      Typical Giant Unknown Weapon
36 Order 81-83:   Beep Boop Kill All Robots

-- Extra 01:      ACV/VD Multiplayer Features
-- Extra 02:      The Typical Chief Fight Experience

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have always been intrigued by this series, but as you say, they've got a reputation that makes getting into them intimidating, and I always ended up picking up something else instead. Very intrigued by the premise of this thread.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
This looks interesting- I'll be following this LP as it develops.

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
Why yes, your suffering does feed me
You're not kidding about the multiplayer, and it's the same as it's always been. It's been nearly 10 years since I briefly did online matches and learned in a hurry just how terrible I was without using a completely broken optional part as a crutch. I've been hoping to see someone give the series a good run through starting from AC2 or AC3, but I didn't even know games after 4A existed after I lost the time/willingness to learn them again. When the regenerating tutorial bot in 4A destroyed me I figured it was time to move on.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It should be interesting to see somebody tackle this game. I got :spergin: SS rank in AC4, though not in AC4A even though that game was much cooler than 4 (Yaaaay, I have shoulder chainguns and machinegun arms again! :neckbeard:)

The reason I never got that far into V, was not because the mission map felt like a mess or because the plot felt even more "Wait, what is going on and which side am I even on?" than usual. Or how it was annoying to tell the difference between weapons in your growing pile of random stat growth guns. Or any of the various new gameplay mechanics.

I dropped it because it wanted me to grind points which were best obtained through online battles to unlock parts to customize my robot, in the game series all about customizing your robot. Oh also gently caress you the item sever is down so you can't buy anything at all anyways. gently caress that. I expected about the same in the "Gotta force the online integration, even if you want to play the single player campaign." when I heard about Verdict day, and was too lazy to check if that assumption was true or not.

EDIT: The only AC game my brother has played was 4A, and yes he did need to ask for some clarifications. But then he plowed through it for the most part blind aside from some of the admittedly BS bits like "Oh, no. you have to escape through THIS tunnel. Not THAT big tunnel that suddenly becomes a dead end which is what you used in an earlier mission here." and such things. He beat that level with the two NEXTS's and the magical "Nerfs your lock-on aim, but not theirs" mission faster than I ever did though.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 21, 2014

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I remember being a pair of 9 and 10 year olds who bought master of the arena because of the box art and it lead us down a dark path of robot punching and falling off of levels.

Turns out that playing a niche series for ~10 years prior to the release of an actual online version turns you into a monstrosity against other players. Basically giant robot child soldiers.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 21, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Man I played the hell out of the PS2 AC games. Loved the customization and crazy pacing of combat, numbers everywhere. I think it's a shame FROM decided to go with the very transitory online model, the ideas sound amazing but come on, it's FROM they don't have the player base to make that last.

Anyway, this is fun to watch so far and I hope you finish out the story, those are always a bunch of plot twist and loyalty reversal fun. ALSO: OUR JUNKBOT MUST BE PAINTED BRIGHT PINK.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Bright pink junk bot it is!

Commoners posted:

I remember being a pair of 9 and 10 year olds who bought master of the arena because of the box art and it lead us down a dark path of robot punching and falling off of levels.

Turns out that playing a niche series for ~10 years prior to the release of an actual online version turns you into a monstrosity against other players. Basically giant robot child soldiers.

I don't think either of us knew that hover leg blade fights would turn out to be the perfect training for later games.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
I used tank legs in AC4A because of their huge load limits I could usually make a crazy build and I usually spent all my time in the air anyway so the turn speed was never an issue...they were also pretty durable.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
I bought this game because I am a fan of the series, I was hyped to hear some people from the Front Mission team were working on it (after fleeing the sinking ship that was SquareEnix), and I really had fun with AC4A. Unfortunately I never really got into it that much, I guess the online component didn't really work for me and it felt too different from the traditional AC campaign style.

It does have what I consider to be the best looking opening video in games though.

Oh and if we're going to have a pink AC maybe our emblem should be a unicorn with a rainbow?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MaterialConceptual posted:

I bought this game because I am a fan of the series, I was hyped to hear some people from the Front Mission team were working on it (after fleeing the sinking ship that was SquareEnix), and I really had fun with AC4A. Unfortunately I never really got into it that much, I guess the online component didn't really work for me and it felt too different from the traditional AC campaign style.

It does have what I consider to be the best looking opening video in games though.

Oh and if we're going to have a pink AC maybe our emblem should be a unicorn with a rainbow?

This was about the same deal for me. I'd played through every Armored Core up to this one, and while I very much enjoyed the Front Mission-style aesthetic and feel of everything, I couldn't make heads or tails of the plot and who was who and who was doing what and what side I was on. And I'm the kind of person who could give you giant detailed :goonsay: explanations of the plots of every Armored Core game up till that point.

I've got Verdict Day sitting on my shelf right now, completely unplayed because I never actually got more than a quarter of the way through V, so watching how this LP handles the game should be interesting, to say the least.

And I'm always happy to see more Armored Core LPs cropping up here. For such an expansive series, its very under-represented.

jopparoad
Jul 27, 2009
Pillbug
Can you believe this was made by the same company that did the Souls and Tenchu games? Blew my mind, I played the poo poo out of the Armored Core games since the first one on the PlayStation.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I've played the hell out of these games since the first one but haven't tried the last two series yet (4/4a/5/vd). Did they ever make shoulder cannons worth a drat in anything other than quads/tanks?
I'm still terrible at these games but I put it down mostly to my ineptitude with console controllers. I drive like a drunk in 3D games without mouse and keyboard.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
I bought Armored Core 4 because there was nothing out at the time and while I did have some fun mucking around it was obvious to me that it would require far too much dedication to learn the meaning of all the numbers. I look forward to seeing how these games play for someone who knows what's what.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Lotish posted:

I have always been intrigued by this series, but as you say, they've got a reputation that makes getting into them intimidating, and I always ended up picking up something else instead. Very intrigued by the premise of this thread.

Think of the series as being like the Gran Tourismo games: yes, you'll undoubtedly have an edge if you know how much horsepower there is in a gallon, but you can usually get by with careful consideration and testing.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Can you walk? or is movement all boosting? I don't think I saw you walk in any video. Why do legs matter if you never walk anywhere?

Also yes. So far this plot is incomprehensible.

I think it is also really ugly too, it is so dark and oversaturated and since it is so fast I think youtube is not doing it any favours.

(I played quite a bit of the demo for the first AC many years ago but haven't really seen the series since. I really quite liked that demo but this new one seems... not stompy enough?)

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
As someone who loves giant robots and especially games that let you build and customise your own, I've always enjoyed the Armoured Core series. Even though I am spectacularly crap at them. I managed to get pretty far in AC4A, but only because as far as I could tell your starting NEXTs were uncommonly good at what they did. Or maybe it was just the energy one. Either way, I'll be following this with a lot of interest. I might even learn how to play properly :downs:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Atlatl posted:

I managed to stick around long enough to wind up on the giving end of that, and the goon team was actually not bad while we were active. I'll talk about a lot of the stuff I saw and learned, since it's mostly tribal knowledge that will die off if it's not recorded. Maybe I'll be able to get Nanomashoes or TPS to get in here and talk about some old matches and ridiculous gimmicks.

So when I see the top player/clan/team/whatever earn more than the next four after them combined, I start to get suspicious; was "Ash Legion" just a bunch of hyper-obsessives, or can we attribute some of that to hacking?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Nah, they just had a really active team at the time. It's not like the competition was all that stiff either. Goonal Cortex got up there with only 3 or 4 of us playing anywhere near regularly, and for most of the time you might only get one or two challenging matches in a day.

Update 1: Arts and Crafts Time

it hungers for the blood of innocents
pre:
Paint Shop 1:  Gundam Unicorn
Garage Talk 2: Legs

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Atlatl posted:

Gonna have to wait til I get home to watch the new video but I am loving that avatar :lol:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I played a lot of the older ones but mostly fell out of the scene after Silent Line. Nexus made way too many styles of AC near impossible to design effectively, Ninebreaker's single player mode was just dumb and Last Raven has a giant iron wall for a difficulty curve. Definitely interested in seeing how things are going with the series now.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, this should be fun. I've played the games since day one, but kinda had a falling out with 4 and 5. I still got them and played them, but they never really caught me the same way the PS1/2 era games did. I remember trying to set up the first ACV goon group, but the small group limit and weird MP system got to me, and I stopped playing around the time the megathread closed. Good to see some goons kept playing until the end at least.

It'll be interesting to see how you handle that mission.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh, this should be fun. I've played the games since day one, but kinda had a falling out with 4 and 5. I still got them and played them, but they never really caught me the same way the PS1/2 era games did. I remember trying to set up the first ACV goon group, but the small group limit and weird MP system got to me, and I stopped playing around the time the megathread closed. Good to see some goons kept playing until the end at least.

It'll be interesting to see how you handle that mission.

Yeah the bizzaro MP system with invasions and NEEDING the other players to be online to accept a defense was just silly.

I was in the second wave of goons playing V, right after the first guild died out up until the BIG boss event launched.
The highlight was when we found a way to game the "Defenders must be online and accept a defense" system, but having a goon join up with other squads that had territory, then accept defense missions and tank them before quitting and rejoining us.

V was pretty neat in general design/mech balance compared to some iterations of AC where everything but 1 leg or gun setup were worthless, and big squad based multiplayer was fun, so it was just so frustrating that From's really obtuse and "Oh Japan!" style of matchmaking ruined a great game.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 21, 2014

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I've only played AC 4, 4A and VD, so I wouldn't really know what it was like to play the PS or PS2 games. And having 4A as my first AC really coloured my view of mech building priorities, so much that except to gently caress with specific missions in VD where the enemy only has a single attack type I can't bring myself to use anything but a fast light to medium mech with rapid fire weapons.

Looking forwards to seeing your playstyle, Atlatl.

E: Whoo, Reverse Joint 4Lyfe :whatup:.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 22, 2014

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I'm another person who played all the old games, all the way up to AC4A. The cutscenes definitely have that classic feel to them, for better or worse. I'm most surprised they added wall jumping of all things, and brought back the terrible cannon stance. I feel like From's been slowly improving their stories with each iteration, but simplifying things down to The Corporation and The City is kind of disappointing; I'll give it a chance to pick up, surely it can't end up as bad as Front Mission Evolved. So far it looks closest to Last Raven, which for its atmosphere was IMO the best in the series on PS2.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I love our new paint job. I also love that the in-game money is literally gold (Au), feels appropriately videogamey especially since you get so much in this one :stare:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
My playstyle is being a giant dumb IOB RJ baby who hovers at the vertical limit of the map, shooting missiles into the backs of unsuspecting passerbys and stealing kills from the medium-lights.

Update 2:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Atlatl posted:

My playstyle is being a giant dumb IOB RJ baby who hovers at the vertical limit of the map, shooting missiles into the backs of unsuspecting passerbys and stealing kills from the medium-lights.

I honestly don't have much of an idea of what this means, but it sounds better than my strategy of 'OB towards enemy, shoot until one of us blows up'.

Also, while I don't know about V, VD had at least two AC battles I remember well. The first one being the first one you fight, an idiot with kinetic blade weapon arms and nothing else (for the uninformed, weapon arms are fragile and KE blades are basically giant combat knives) who I remember fondly for ragdolling into an explosion a bunch of times when I needed money early in my game, and that one loving fight with the father and son in heavy ACs who use sub units all the fuccking time.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
DONTREL DOLPHIN LIVES

He thirsts for the flesh of the homeless and police.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 22, 2014

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
Oh man, I had this game and let a friend borrow it. Even after I got it back I didn't get back into it. I always meant to play the campaign again but never did. Also thought it was pretty hard and would have liked a friend to play with. That also never happened. I guess I'll just tune in for this then since I've a soft spot for mecha action.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Atlatl posted:

Update 1: Arts and Crafts Time

Amazing beyond my wildest dreams!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Man, I always get sad when I'm reminded that AC isn't available to cool Pc players like me. I freakin love huge robits that shoot other huge robits, but Japan doesn't want me to have fun without buying a console. It's very tragic indeed :(

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
armored kores indeed

i am an embarrassment

Update 3: :romo: You Are Now Entering The Salt Mines :romo:

pre:
Story 01:    gently caress Trains
Order 10-16: Energy Crisis
Armored Core for PC would be glorious.

As much as I like our current Joseph Joestar color scheme + Dontrel emblem combo, we should probably do something new to celebrate graduating from a junk mech. Any suggestions? Any preferences for subject on the next garage video?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Armored Core on PC sounds great til you start thinking about how loving awful the controls would be on keyboard and mouse, considering how long it took From to come up with decent ones on a Playstation controller.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Lol at your hug-match with the train :v:

Man, this story really is disjointed as hell so far. Will there ever be a reason for why we now play for the good team? I mean the late resistance leader foreshadowed it in the most blunt way possible, but it would be neat if there's a reason behind it other than gettin payed or being a goody good guy. Also it's a super weird decision to make the cash battles take place in the future of the main plot that you're following now. I mean, they could just have given you a limited set of side thingies that pop up after each main mission, and have the side thingies be related that what's currently going on. But Japan, I guess.

dis astranagant posted:

Armored Core on PC sounds great til you start thinking about how loving awful the controls would be on keyboard and mouse, considering how long it took From to come up with decent ones on a Playstation controller.
They could probably get away with an atrocious default scheme that all the pubbies rage about, while the core(heh) audience leans back and plugs in the gamepad of their choice :)

But yeah, controls would be an issue and I get that.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I have played AC since the original back when I was the tiniest munchkin. Some days the series just makes me go "WHYYYYYYY" and hang my head in a mix of despair and shame, still fun robutt shooting.

(heavy cores fer lyfe)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tank jousting 4 lyfe. Way back when Nexus was just about to come out in the states I dark horsed some fansite's big 64 man fantasy tournament with a nice jousting tank that used that huge double back slot laser cannon and all the fancy energy weapon parts.

There isn't going to be a rendition of "9" in this one, is there?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

As for no boosters, previous armored core games had you on tiny platforms (like an airship or submarine) that you couldn't fall off without leaving the battle area, and I mean TINY, thats for walking on.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Or even better: making you jump back and forth between tiny platforms (that are usually shooting at you) to reach objectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nothing against you, Atlatl, but for a game about giant anime robots the combat looks really dull.

• Locked thread