Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Nothing against you, Atlatl, but for a game about giant anime robots the combat looks really dull.

These games usually meter out the fun equipment quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cythereal posted:

Nothing against you, Atlatl, but for a game about giant anime robots the combat looks really dull.

It is still early, but also those pointless pointless side missions, in most previous games every mission had something to tie it into the main story or at least fit into the theme, pointlessness was reserved for the arena.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
God, I love looking at the AC series - I tried to buy a copy of AC4 a while ago here in Korea, but unlike 99% of console games, that was one that they actually bothered to do a full menu translation into korean for. I can read a bit of hangul at about a 1st grade level, but goddamn was it hard to get into, which is sad because the AC series seriously has some of the best looking mechs in any game.

The only thing I want to see is an AC game where the movement is a little less arcade-y and a little more like the lumbering gigantic hunk of metal that you are, but I guess the fast, frenetic gameplay is something of a hallmark for the AC series.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

This LP is really making me want to pick up another copy of AC4. I think i'm one of the few who really, legitimately enjoyed it (despite being absolutely garbage at it and every other AC game). I'm also having really bad flashbacks to that time I tried Last Raven and spent the first few missions getting my arms shot to pieces and wondering who the gently caress thought that mechanic was a great idea :v:

Atlatl, if you're looking for paint schemes, can I suggest something obnoxious and Digital Camo'd to hell and back?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I like AC4 as well. I especially like the garage system that got rid of the store let you try out parts before you bought them.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I want to say it gets more exciting but then I might be lying. Some of the story mission boss fights are about as fun as it gets and there are no high speed 5v2 fights or anything similar to be had. At this rate I'll probably finish V fairly quickly and move on to Verdict Day where I might get a chance to show off how chaotic it can get playing against people or well-programed UNACs.

From Software actually came out with a heavier-feeling mech game called Chromehounds, but I thought it just wound up feeling like a Mechwarrior game at the end of the day.

e: or I can go plow through 4 and 4A with my NG+ saves because lol gently caress new starts on those games seriously

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Atlatl posted:

From Software actually came out with a heavier-feeling mech game called Chromehounds, but I thought it just wound up feeling like a Mechwarrior game at the end of the day.

To Chromehounds' credit, it let you build weird rear end artillery sniper mechs, and that guncam feature was pretty drat cool. There's basically a spiritual successor in the works called M.A.V., apparently.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
MAV's been extremely slow going, though, so god knows when it will ever actually pick up.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Atlatl posted:

I never really played Chromehounds as a slow game for the few days I played it online. What I ended up with was essentially a Mario Cart with four rocket launchers that could get me 2.5 mech kills a match before exploding horribly.

I was a bad scout though, I was to focused on :black101: to properly communicate.

E: And those order battles show you why taking a few seconds to change your weapon loadout to deal with the enemy's defenses is a very good idea. That tetropod, for instance, would have gone down like twice as fast if Atlatl had used something other than a battle rifle in the right arm slot.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 23, 2014

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I only played AC2: Another Age for like a blockbuster 5-day rental and I reciently bought ACVirdict Day; I would play it more but I got other things I wanna also play :saddowns:

I don't give much of a crap over the story, just let me at the garage and I'll go nuts.

played chromehounds a lot more since I didn't have anything else at the time; the whole menu system in at least Virdict day with the team stuff feels like chromehounds like that.

I did enjoy chromehounds when I was on a team that was active during the times I could play. we would roll in and stompy robits all over; I never was too good at actual fighting but damnit I was pretty good at being a mobile radar tower. very late in my time playing that I discovered my true calling: playing stupid-fast scouts that were only armed with piles and a smoke-grenade launcher since nobody ever had thermals installed. it was like I was Monsoon and they were DSP.

I should play Verdict day more when I have less things to do

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

For the true ACV experience your emblems must be 90% anime girls and 10% Ace Combat squadrons.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Atlatl posted:

armored kores indeed

i am an embarrassment

Hey don't feel bad about it, I remember this kind of crap happening to me even when I got the first Armored Core for Christmas and was playing the crap out of it way back in the day. I think weird janky fail conditions and level construction have always been part of the series.

I think for our new emblem we should have an anime girl riding our soulless unicorn of doom.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Armored Core on PC sounds great til you start thinking about how loving awful the controls would be on keyboard and mouse, considering how long it took From to come up with decent ones on a Playstation controller.

I'm just gonna come out and say that to this day I have an extreme case of stockholm syndrome regarding the AC1 through Silent Line controls. With slight variations of course, changing turning left/right to L1/R1 and moving left/right to the d-pad. Chalk it up to playing pretty much every PS1 action game with that control style to death (especially Megaman Legends) in the pre-dualshock era I guess.

Playing fight ACs in every other game just doesn't feel quite as involved with dual-stick controls, even though they're objectively better.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Nanomashoes posted:

For the true ACV experience your emblems must be 90% anime girls and 10% Ace Combat squadrons.
that makes 100% anime. i shall oblige.

Update 4: Suplex the Doom Train

it's real green out today huh (this game looks awful)

pre:
Order 17-22:   Trash Mobs
Order 23-27:   Men of Honor
Garage Talk 3: Energy
Paint Shop 2:  blue makes it go faster
Story 02:      seriously, gently caress trains

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The new paintscheme is everything I could have hoped for :allears:

Also, seriously, that loving train... That looks like such a pain in the rear end to fight.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 24, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty much every AC game has a lovely train chase mission and they're all terrible.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
With how much you love kicking poo poo, I think you should swap in a melee arm. Actually... are there any legs that give you charge bonuses?

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
Those helicopters look like their rotating bits would hit each other but what do I know about helicopters. Also why was everyone saying that fighting that train is a suicide mission I'm sure an AC would be able to destroy some train tracks no problem, all those guns attached to the train wouldn't mean much once it's toppled over.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
woah woah woah man you're thinking way too logically here

7c Nickel posted:

With how much you love kicking poo poo, I think you should swap in a melee arm. Actually... are there any legs that give you charge bonuses?

You're in luck, because even though I'm completely terrible at melee I've taken to using those pile drivers whenever I get the chance. Charge damage is based on the leg, which has its own attack stat for that. Generally heavier legs means more damage on the charge.

I also somehow forgot to put in part of the emblem so I updated it in between videos.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Armored Core V: Energy at... 30%

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

macfam posted:

Those helicopters look like their rotating bits would hit each other but what do I know about helicopters.

They're called synchropters and they're actually really good for heavy lifting because they don't have to divert power to a tail rotor to keep from spinning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLkN0cnOO6w

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 24, 2014

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Aw man. I loving love ACV. I would love to co-op with ya if you want.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Finally got around to watching gently caress Trains.

Thank you for providing the authentic AC pilot experience :allears: Even if you're still better at this one than I was (for what little I played of it).

I'd be back on the ACV wagon if you didn't have to grind those goddamned team points so you can customize your robot more :argh: I got tired of seeing next to no new parts after a pile of Ordered missions and a chunk of story missions.

EDIT: What kind of armored core game can end up with a stack of "Did not suck too badly" cash and nothing you want to spend it on in the early game :sigh: Granted it probably didn't help that I kept thinking "Okay, THIS time it will unlock a bigger version of X... damnit".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 24, 2014

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Pretty much every AC game has a lovely train chase mission and they're all terrible.

4 answers was awesome. Mostly because it was less of a chase and more of a boarding action.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Following this thread made me start a run through Front Mission 3 again

Don't judge me, I needed some time with robits after seeing other robits that I can't have

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tin Tim posted:

Following this thread made me start a run through Front Mission 3 again

Don't judge me, I needed some time with robits after seeing other robits that I can't have

Yeah, this is really making me want to play Silent Line, but it doesn't like softmodded ps2s and I'm not sure I feel like fighting PCSX2 right now.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Man, Youtube is really struggling to keep up with this game sometimes.

The game does this thing you sometimes see in mid-2000s CGI-heavy hollywood movies where in order to mask the artificiality of the special effects, the creators would douse the CG characters in particle- and postproduction-effects or keep them in indistinct lighting conditions and camera angles at most times, to keep the eye from getting too critical over their place in the filmic world. Only, Armored Core V does it all the time, to everything.

The big difference is, since a director has total control over what's happening on screen at all times, they can deliberately structure these obfuscations to still carry a particular motion or tone, keeping the picture expressive even if it doesn't allow you to focus on a particular object within it. It's why the intro cutscene for the game looks as gorgeous as it does; Some surprisingly good cinematography there, for a video game.

However, during the gameplay itself, the person in control of the camera is, well, you, and the game has to struggle to keep its blockbuster-chic aesthetic up while your're doing fuckin' whatever. The result is that every now and again, the environment, camera, lighting, particle effects and so on miraculously come together just the right way to create a really great looking picture, but an instant later it all falls apart and you're left with an image that looks muddy, overcrowded and indistinct. Worse, it can be really difficult to discern immediately relevant gameplay information like your energy level from aesthetic chaff. Do you even have a health bar? The brightest and clearest part of your HUD are your route markers, of all things. Why? They're hideous!

The sad thing is, the game really needs these obfuscations, because frankly, the core animations, vital part of any mech game, aren't very good. Look at that first pair of reverse-joints Atlatl was rockin', and watch the heels casually clip into each other during the turning animation. The walking animations are consistently awful - the way your feetsies slowly slip-slide forward makes your AC feel less like a thirty-ton killing machine and more like a vaguely miffed cloud gently drifting through the streets. They probably made walking useless to make you just boost all the time anyway, which is hella easier to animate thanks to those bright jets covering most of the Core.

On a conceptual level there's all those neat little details that make the ACs more intricate and technical like the anchors deploying from the feet and the origami folding weapons, but you don't really see any of that because you're too busy rocketing around everywhere and showering the world in comet sparkles. The designs and intro cinematic suggest a game of deliberate, mechanical heft, but in practice it's more Gundam SEED-style pew-pew-zwee-laser-fighting. So it's not the stompy robot game you might expect, but it doesn't have the heart to go full-anime crazy Getter Robo style either because everything is just that bit too static and rational. Total aesthetic disconnect.

...So all that being said, I really don't understand why I'm so interested in this game and so disappointed in a lacking PC port. For how much the art design doesn't work, it's still a really unique and interesting look for a game. But what really interests me is, bizarely enough, the story. I actually really like the level of ambiguity at play. Like, the bad guys are totally transparent and obvious - they're an evil corporate police state, bam, everything said, now you can stop thinking about them because they're not that important, the real focus lies on your own faction. Like, the resistance wants to topple the oppressive government, but what are they fighting for, like, what political system do they want to fill the void with? Do they want democracy, or just to replace the existing military dictatorship with their own? The Order missions seem to peg uncomfortably close to the latter. It's funny how the dialogue plays Fran as this kind and earnest rebel soul but she's totally cool with hiring the guy who was involved in her own father's death and ordering him to kill dozens, and seems to enjoy playing post-apocalyptic warlord just a little too much. That's a surprising amount of character depth for someone who just occasionally talks into your ears and never actually shows up on screen.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
If you haven't been doing this already, I would highly recommend watching these at the highest quality so you can see a little bit more of what's going on. The graphics aren't good but everything's so tiny that it might make the gameplay more understandable.

I'm not going to attempt to defend the story, but I will say that Rosy is by far the best character out of any of these games and Chief is the most fun villain, if only for the fact that his VA is going ham on the script. Most AC game stories are left very ambiguous (4/4A's was so much so that the localization team got confused, hosed up, and made it worse) and leave the player to piece together what's going on. Some like it, some don't,

but

gently caress it enough of this lets go punch the poo poo out some robots

Update 5: Fists of Fury

pre:
Order 28-34: A Bad Big O Knockoff
Order 35-39: BURNING FINGER
Order 40-43: Shocking Revelation!
Order 44-46: Gentleman's Duel
Story 03:    Dumpster Diving

Extra 01:    ACVD Multiplayer Features
e: accidentally uploaded the raw video for order 35-39, I'll leave this one up until the real one's uploaded
e2: fixed

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 25, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Glitchy, inexplicable AI is one of the things that make the AC series so endearing.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
I think you've caught up to the point in the game I got to before quitting. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the game.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Update 6: Meet the Family

pre:
Story 04:    There and Back Again
Order 47-50: Reganomics
I'll probably finish this game up within the coming week, save for the dumb secret stuff. If I were to do another one of these, would people prefer that I play 4/4A or Verdict Day?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Atlatl posted:

Update 6: Meet the Family

pre:
Story 04:    There and Back Again
Order 47-50: Reganomics
I'll probably finish this game up within the coming week, save for the dumb secret stuff. If I were to do another one of these, would people prefer that I play 4/4A or Verdict Day?

Fight all the secret Zodiac bosses and 100% the game just like me before you move on.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
ughhhhhhhhhhhhh I really don't want to speedrun those story missions

gently caress gemini

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Atlatl posted:

If I were to do another one of these, would people prefer that I play 4/4A or Verdict Day?

These stories aren't nearly dumb enough. You should pick up a copy of Phantom Crash for the original Xbox so we can have lame teenage drama, even more ridiculous paint schemes, psychobilly, and a default protagonist named MR.USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaaDZo9902k

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I know nothing about Verdict Day, so if you think that would be cool to show off that would be nice.

Otherwise, I liked 4A better than regular 4. More parts, cooler set piece missions. I also liked how they would change up some things for the Hard difficulty versions sometimes instead of just adding more health to enemies at times in 4/4A.

Am I missing something or is V's single player 90% order missions? If you could finish up the game soon after Story mission number FOUR? Maybe as I catch up on the videos out already, more of the order missions get closer to standard AC missions instead of "Kill 10 hobos/cops"? I mean, even in the old games a lot of missions were not much to comment on, but at least there could be some variety in gimmicks and location (Stumble into a room and oh poo poo that giant robot torso and arm is wielding a gun three times the size of my AC).

EDIT: Your moments of "What the gently caress? :argh:" speak to me of the authentic AC pilot lifestyle.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 26, 2014

Satori_Ryu
Mar 8, 2006
Comcastic Ronin
Verdict Day is $5 on PSN with Plus right now (10 Normal)

Man I have missed AC. I played AC1 hardcore when it came out. I even joined an online Clan well before online play was possible. We where hoping some of the direct dial play to come over from Japan. Sadly it did not. We had to haul Playstations and Tvs around for tournaments. Linking was fun, but man did it mess up a lot.

I have been wanting to get back into it. I have not played it since AC3, so I am hoping this is a good hoping back on point.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Satori_Ryu posted:

Verdict Day is $5 on PSN with Plus right now (10 Normal)

Man I have missed AC. I played AC1 hardcore when it came out. I even joined an online Clan well before online play was possible. We where hoping some of the direct dial play to come over from Japan. Sadly it did not. We had to haul Playstations and Tvs around for tournaments. Linking was fun, but man did it mess up a lot.

I have been wanting to get back into it. I have not played it since AC3, so I am hoping this is a good hoping back on point.

You're a bit late. Verdict Day's multiplayer is pretty dead now.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Can I request that you take a KE MG / laserblade / cluster missile build out for a spin? That was always my bread and butter in the earlier AC games. (Either that or a quad reliant on shoulder cannons, but seeing as it looks like you can no longer deploy/fire while moving in a quad, it wouldn't be worth it.)

I'm also in two minds about the aesthetics of the mechs in this one. I absolutely loved the design in AC1 through LR - they occupied a space somewhere nicely in between walking tank and anime madness. Whoever was doing 4/4A got drunk on the increased polycount and everything looked way too busy to my eyes. V/VD looks like it's gone much more front mission in its aesthetic, which is kinda nice and tank-like again, but I'm not sure I like the stumpier leg proportions, exposed innards everywhere and mandatory massive shields on the left knee (are those functional at all?).
I'll also second the sentiment on the walking animations being silly. For those who haven't played the older games, it used to be that only heavyweights would walk like that. Middleweights jogged by default, and lightweights would sprint. Trying to dodge without boosters was still suicide, though.

A couple more questions - are EOs still in the game, and is projectile velocity much of a thing? There were a bunch of weapons I would avoid like the plague (light/energy MGs, pulse guns, MG arms) simply because their shots travelled so slowly you couldn't hit a moving target excet at point blank range.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
ACVD's multiplayer is mostly dead but at least you can still use the online features. I'll try and go for an oldschool build in the next video. Not too sure if it'll work out for story mission 6 though, and I want to use 7/8/9 to show off the power and majesty of tank legs.

EO's haven't been a thing since 4 and projectile velocity is still important at range against people. Short range weapons generally have pretty high velocity but they have very sharp damage dropoff past their optimum range.

Update 7: And Nobody Was Surprised

pre:
Order 51-54: The True ACV Experience
Story 05:    Infighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Crazy Achmed posted:

Can I request that you take a KE MG / laserblade / cluster missile build out for a spin? That was always my bread and butter in the earlier AC games. (Either that or a quad reliant on shoulder cannons, but seeing as it looks like you can no longer deploy/fire while moving in a quad, it wouldn't be worth it.)

I'm also in two minds about the aesthetics of the mechs in this one. I absolutely loved the design in AC1 through LR - they occupied a space somewhere nicely in between walking tank and anime madness. Whoever was doing 4/4A got drunk on the increased polycount and everything looked way too busy to my eyes. V/VD looks like it's gone much more front mission in its aesthetic, which is kinda nice and tank-like again, but I'm not sure I like the stumpier leg proportions, exposed innards everywhere and mandatory massive shields on the left knee (are those functional at all?).
I'll also second the sentiment on the walking animations being silly. For those who haven't played the older games, it used to be that only heavyweights would walk like that. Middleweights jogged by default, and lightweights would sprint. Trying to dodge without boosters was still suicide, though.

A couple more questions - are EOs still in the game, and is projectile velocity much of a thing? There were a bunch of weapons I would avoid like the plague (light/energy MGs, pulse guns, MG arms) simply because their shots travelled so slowly you couldn't hit a moving target excet at point blank range.

Those leg shields do serve a purpose, believe it or not. All of the leg types have a trick to them, and you've already seen the quad, tank and reverse joint tricks, but for bipeds the trick is that the shield is deployed when you go into a ready stance (use big weapons) and increases your defense.

• Locked thread