Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Never thought I'd see the day, but here we are. A robit game with a plot that's weaker than in Front Mission Evolved :downs:

When you get past the grimark atmosphere, most AC games are like this. You are a mercenary pawn taking missions from faceless megacorps. Your actions have little consequence and in the end the status quo remains intact. The gameplay, the insane attention to details and the small plot snippets is what keeps people interested in this series.

AC4A arguably has the best story, and it's honestly fairly blah. And the endings are as follows:
1) Status quo remains intact
2) You kill an absolute shitton of people resulting in humanity's extinction
3) You kill only most people on the planet and escape into space.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Atlatl posted:

The 4A murder ending is wonderful and has the hypest final mission out of any AC game, especially on hard mode.

Old King = best king

:stare:

That's not the usual opinion I hear about that level. What AC did you use for it?

EDIT: Okay I'll explain this.

In AC4A the Earth is polluted to all hell due to the use of Kojima particles in AC weaponry. The megacorps decided that WAS JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH SON and created NEXTs, which are ACs that use Kojima particle technology to its fullest extent enabling them to have better armor, weaponry and Offense Armor capability. Due to the pollution, the rich and some of the middle class escaped onto these giant floating habitation ships called the Cradles. These Cradles are supported by facilities on land called Arteria. People who didn't make it on the Cradles make do with what they can, since they live on a planet with a toxic atmosphere and ravaged by war thanks to the megacorp NEXTs and Arms Forts.

The Destruction path has your character join a dude named Old King and together you destroy a Cradle squadron and send them plummeting to Earth. Each Cradle has 20,000,000 people on it. You destroy 5. The Old King keeps count. Your Operator is so disgusted by this that she leaves her post when the mission starts. Having completed that, you are now locked into the Destruction ending and are greeted by the final mission.

That final mission is Occupation of Arteria Corpals. It's basically AC4A kaizo mode.

After an extremely vague briefing, you find yourself and the Old King in the facility. Then your now ex-Operator chimes in and says "Please accept my apologies, that briefing was fabricated. This is the end for you. I think you know why."

You are then attacked by four of the highest ranked members of Collared (The in-game NEXT pilot ranking system) at the same time. Each one has a NEXT equal to your own. One is a decent challenge, two would be a hard fight, three would be unfair. You have to fight four. If you play on Hard Mode, a fifth NEXT joins the fray; your ex-Operator Kasumi Sumika in her own custom NEXT.

I have only seen people beat that mission by cheesing the AI, getting it stuck on walls, and then fighting them one-on-one. It is hard as gently caress.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 30, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NightfallGemini posted:

By the way, I recall there being murmurings about AC5/VD being linked to ACfA in way more than just cameos. Is there any legitimacy to that claim or is it just speculation?

Yes. Big time spoilers:

One mission in VD has ruins of a crash-landed Cradle. More significantly, the final boss is a cobbled-together White Glint that the antagonists reverse-engineered out of ruined technology

• Locked thread