Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
people who keep cats are pedophiles. all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Stoic Commie posted:

i don't know anyone with murderous intent of cats motherfucker but like everybody dislikes them probably because they suck

Fairly sure theyre the most popular pet in the world

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I have a theory that the reason why so many cats appear to be antisocial is that they're just learning behavior from their owners, who tend to be antisocial. Cats do whatever they see people or alpha cats do, and if you never interact with another human being and recoil in disgust from other people then they'll do the same.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
a pet that requires not that much care but may reciprocate more than something like a goldfish or one of those little pythons seems like a good balance to me

you have to find one with the right personality though- parents have one that acts like it's super happy to see you for about 20 minutes when you get back to the house and then kinda goes "eh ok that's enough" and walks away and lies down on the floor or something

it is a good cat

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I was good friends with a guy who grew up in Idaho and one of his favourite activities was shooting cats. He and his friend would drive around farms or wherever and have guns and they'd shoot any cats they came across. One time he shot a dude's pet cat while it was on the guy's front lawn and the guy got in his car and chased him for about 20 minutes. That was the only cat murder he regretted.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Say what you will about cats, at least they instinctively know how to shut up instead of requiring extensive training to not bark constantly at everything.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

King Vidiot posted:

I have a theory that the reason why so many cats appear to be antisocial is that they're just learning behavior from their owners, who tend to be antisocial. Cats do whatever they see people or alpha cats do, and if you never interact with another human being and recoil in disgust from other people then they'll do the same.

Never seen a cat down a bottle of aspirin then call all its friends for attention

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cats suck, they never listen to commands, they have no personality, and they poo poo in your house. No one really needs them to catch mice anymore so why not get a real pet like a dog?

Even if you need something to catch mice they have dog breeds to do that too! better all around.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Whorelord posted:

Fairly sure theyre the most popular pet in the world

yeah cus it's easy to make a lot of them, they're like the ramen noodles of pets

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Digiwizzard posted:

uhh unless they're trained dogs tend to distrust anyone they're not familiar with. from there it just takes a small push to get them literally murdering anyone who isn't their master

But then its just a trained dog, and not a free being. Why would you do that to an animal friend. Dog owners, am I right?

ihopeirememberthis
Sep 8, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_individual_dogs#Faithful_dogs

Read that cat-lovers

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

I was good friends with a guy who grew up in Idaho and one of his favourite activities was shooting cats. He and his friend would drive around farms or wherever and have guns and they'd shoot any cats they came across. One time he shot a dude's pet cat while it was on the guy's front lawn and the guy got in his car and chased him for about 20 minutes. That was the only cat murder he regretted.

kill your friend

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
nah he's cool

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014

lol epic

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Don't forget about birders. Cats'll clean an area out in no time

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

wow.

I'm pretty sure your friend should move up to homeless people already. Or better yet.

you guessed it

Kill himself.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

Kill himself.

the most dangerous prey

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
you shouldnt own pets its gross and your house smells really bad and you guys are pretty gross -a muslim who has females clean for him on the regular

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cats#Famous_pet_cats_of_gorillas

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
dudes that like cats are inevitably weird as gently caress and broken in some way

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pon de Bundy posted:

you shouldnt own pets its gross and your house smells really bad and you guys are pretty gross -a muslim who has females clean for him on the regular

But do we own the cat or does the cat own us?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
of all pet owners, cat people are the worst. Only those gross fat women who keep rodents and skunks or whatever are worse

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Pon de Bundy posted:

you shouldnt own pets its gross and your house smells really bad and you guys are pretty gross

Pon de Bundy posted:

-a muslim who has females clean for him on the regular

Pon de Bundy posted:

you guys are pretty gross

:vince:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
listen I just want an animal that sleeps all the time and I don't have to feel bad about leaving in the house while I'm at work

maybe a greyhound would work as well as a cat I guess

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

a pet that requires not that much care but may reciprocate more than something like a goldfish or one of those little pythons seems like a good balance to me

you have to find one with the right personality though- parents have one that acts like it's super happy to see you for about 20 minutes when you get back to the house and then kinda goes "eh ok that's enough" and walks away and lies down on the floor or something

it is a good cat

yeah this is my cat p much, whenever someone comes over he runs over to the door and says hi and kinda hangs out and just chills, not needy as he doesn't like being in people's laps or anything, he just hangs out. He will talk too, if you talk to him he will meow back.

People are always saying "oh your cat is awesome, he's the only cat I like, how is he so cool??" Probably because I'm not a reclusive weirdo and talked to him and introduced him to lots of other people. May have helped that I lived with four other guys when he was young and we regularly threw parties and poo poo.

I didn't even try to get him but my weirdo convict neighbor came over one night with a kitten and was like "yo i got you a cat" so I kept it.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

My cat had diarrhea on the floor last night, then puked on the stairs this morning, then missed her target soon after and left a large swimming pool of pee by the litterbox soon after. I loudly professed my murderous intent for this cat.

Then about a half hour later she sat on my lap and purred while I watched adventure time, I took it back... this time.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Cat owning scientists: cats are "selfish, unfeeling, environmentally harmful creatures."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
My sister's cats were socialized around dogs. They behave like dogs and don't even meow. They are the best cats.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Vegetables also carry toxoplasmosis, point invalidated

Yea this. They are both awesome animals for entirely different reasons.

Let's be real though, dogs are better

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah mine was best friends with my roommate's gigantic great pyrenees. it was awesome, they would cuddle together and everything. except this lead to the dog climbing into bed with me as he followed my cats lead. It's drat hard to convince a great pyrenees to get out of bed.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Look, just eat some cat poop for a while and you'll start to understand

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

Let's be real though, dogs are better

It depends on your situation and such. If your home is regularly empty (due to both spouses working), it's kind of hard to have a dog. If you like to go on long vacations, dogs can be a problem for you as well. You can leave enough food, water, and litter out for cats and they'll be fine on their own for weeks at a time.

But if you want a pet that will protect your home, can go hiking with you, etc. then yes, obviously get a dog. Or better yet...get both! :D

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Keeping lower animals for pets is dumb. If it's not food and it's not a work animal, forget about it.

e: What I'm saying is gently caress your cats AND your dogs.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
lots of really, really stupid/ignorant opinions in the thread

to date i have had:

-a gay cat that wanted make-up put on him and would try and screw the other male cats. he was super friendly and would come when called. RIP Gideon, wish you hadn't ripped a hole in the screen and got hit by that car

-a maine coon that woould answer you in meows if you talked to him, enjoyed being picked up and cuddled, would answer to his name and come running if you called him and would play fetch with you. he also greeted EVERY stranger by rubbing on their legs. you could do anything to this cat and he wouldn't care. we dipped his tail in iced tea once back in 2001, and after licking it off he realized he loved iced tea and would steal it from you if you had some and didn't share. RIP Karmine, he passed away last month at the ripe age of like 13-16 (we were never sure of his age)

-an english shorthair that craved attention from anybody and was extremely intelligent. he taught himself how to play with one of those pull string toys that cats love to chase, as in he would pull the string with his teeth and then let it go for himself or the other cats to chase. would leap up and try and get his head into your hand for pats if you were in the same room as him. RIP Nikita, sorry the cancer took you

yes, I said cats. plural. my family is heavily involved in cat rescue, and if a cat needed a loving home before being adopted we took them in. some cats stayed forever, some went to good homes. yeah, the garage smelled absolutely awful but so loving what. i love dogs and they smell like death whenever they get even one single drop of water on them. gently caress the haters.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Groper posted:

Keeping lower animals for pets is dumb. If it's not food and it's not a work animal, forget about it.

e: What I'm saying is gently caress your cats AND your dogs.

Yeah but if you can give a dog or cat a loving home and food and warmth for 10 to 18 years instead of them dying on the streets in only a few months then what's the problem here exactly??

Everybody wins!!

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Vegetables also carry toxoplasmosis, point invalidated

because cats poo poo in the soil genius lmbo

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Yeah but if you can give a dog or cat a loving home and food and warmth for 10 to 18 years instead of them dying on the streets in only a few months then what's the problem here exactly??

Everybody wins!!

The problem is that the vast majority of people are too lazy to spay/neuter their animals or, even barring that, just to keep them from going outside, and then they perpetuate more dogs and cats to die in the streets. Or hell, sometimes they WANT their misbegotten fur-children to have "cute fuzzy babies" that they don't have room for and end up having to give away, or let run free, again resulting in more scavenging waste-creatures.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
If you wouldn't go around torturing local birds, rodents, and insects then you probably shouldn't own a cat that goes outside. You personally are directly responsible for every animal that suffers at your cats claws, and yes your cat does go around eviscerating the local wildlife whether you see it or not.

Cat owners are clearly sociopaths for having an automated animal torture machine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Groper posted:

The problem is that the vast majority of people are too lazy to spay/neuter their animals or, even barring that, just to keep them from going outside, and then they perpetuate more dogs and cats to die in the streets. Or hell, sometimes they WANT their misbegotten fur-children to have "cute fuzzy babies" that they don't have room for and end up having to give away, or let run free, again resulting in more scavenging waste-creatures.

lol gently caress that, I get strays neutered/spayed all the time and I have to trap them which is a pain in the rear end. But the place I volunteer at does it for free; people are probably stupid and think it's cruel to do their pet or something

One time one of the cats I trapped to get neutered was actually microchipped and it turns out he just got lost and we were able to find his owners :3:

I would love to let my cat roam around outside (he basically begs for it every day) but we're scared he'd get hit by a car or something, plus we don't want him killing birds. We tried letting him in the backyard but even with a fence he managed to squeeze through and escape; luckily we knew to watch him and we promptly got him back in the house :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Haha, wow. Cats are even worse jerks than I thought.

• Locked thread