Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Say what you will about cats, at least they instinctively know how to shut up instead of requiring extensive training to not bark constantly at everything.

categorically false. *a chorus of meows at 3am* <- every time i spend the night with a lady who owns cats. at least dogs are naturally diurnal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Please teach my neighborhood cats to instinctively shut up in the middle of the night, thanks

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
my dumb fat old cat will loving howl at 3am if hes the slightest hungry while my dog is chill af

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
one cat is trying to open cabinets today so I hear thunk thunk thunk thunk while the other one sits a foot away and watches

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

SilvergunSuperman posted:

SA is insanely obsessed with toxoplasmosis, it dominates absolutely every cat topic.

Its basically the only reason why people keep cats - their brains are riddled with parasites.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
My cats are sweetie pies.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
if a cat in an environment is a sufficient size isn't it pretty much the apex predator?

there are apparently mountain lions beginning to move in around the general area where I live and it freaks me out

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZvqhM3OQS8

I'd like to see your cat defend an entire Tibetan village.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Lunixnerd posted:

Its basically the only reason why people keep cats - their brains are riddled with parasites.

Surely this line is just as much a winner on the 300,000,000th repetition, bring back doobie doghaus

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Surely this line is just as much a winner on the 300,000,000th repetition, bring back doobie doghaus

Dog Owner: It's really insanely not good to drink pee and think that poop is good, it's bad for you and socially not good either as a human being

Cat owner: *peeks up from behind litter box filled with toilet stuff, and its all over their face because they're eating it* Ah, how droll, yet again you think repeating the same thing makes any differents. Nice... not.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

Isn't it airborne when the poop's been around so long that it desiccates and breaks apart? So the solution is really just to stop leaving cat poo poo piled up in your litter boxes, and for the rare moments you actually clean them out be sure to wash your hands like a grown-rear end person.

There is less time spent overall cleaning a litter box than having to be bullied by a dog's need to act like that little man in the anti-smoking commercials. You know, the one that's a bully and is all like "IT'S TIME TO SMOKE UP NOW human being PUT THE GAME ON PAUSE."

I hate that guy. It's a totally accurate portrayal of dog owners/smokers, though.

Accretionist posted:

My sister's cats were socialized around dogs. They behave like dogs and don't even meow. They are the best cats.

Claven666 posted:

cool cat stories

One of my cats, Stanley, thinks his name is "Dammit" but is otherwise the most chill and friendly cat who runs over to me when I come home and knows when you want him to keep off of something. He must have been raised by dogs because dog-only people actually like him. The other cat is a little bitch raised from birth by my girlfriend from before when we met and it howls a little at night sometimes but is basically okay.

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

Cats also good if you want a small pet because any dog that tops out under ~40 lbs is an irredeemable piece of poo poo

Truth.

Three Olives posted:

Two dogs are better than one dog but some of us don't have giant houses so we have two small dogs.

No. That doesn't make it better.

ArbitraryC posted:

Actually cats frequently torture their prey and kill for sport rather than hunger. In what little capacity rodents and birds have for preference I'm sure they'd rather get eaten by a snake.

Beyond that though if you wouldn't go around killing them yourself you probably shouldn't introduce something that will. Cats devastate local wildlife as they are super efficient killers. They kill stuff that would not otherwise be dying and that is 100% on the owner for all suffering they cause.

If you wouldn't trap a squirrel and kill it slowly and painfully, don't have an outdoor cat. If you live on a barn or something and have mice problems though that's of course a different story.

Cats are natural hunters. If they are not trained by the momma cat to kill, they don't always do it in the most efficient manner. It's pretty cruel looking, but it's not like you can tell them how to snap necks better or anything, they're cats and learn by watching mom.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 21, 2014

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

In short, dogs are awesome, but they typically show emotion to anyone, even strangers. Cats want nothing to do with strangers. Since you have to earn a cat's trust, people who never owned cats tend to hate them. I had no strong opinion on them before my wife brought her childhood cat into our home, and after a few months, I saw what all the hubbub was about!

i have two cats, one is anti social except towards us, the other demands pets of any random stranger to come into the house.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

"Yeah well my cat is actually awesome, he totally acts like a dog"

Ummmmm

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I want one of those maine coon cats

they're pretty big

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

it almost seems like cats and dogs both have their good and bad parts, and people who haven't owned one or the other are biased towards whichever they're used to

p.s. don't let your cat outside and don't let your dog poo poo everywhere without cleaning it up

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

same

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
I don't mind cats but I'd never have one for a pet. They stink up a house really bad.

And for everyone who says 'oh i have cats and my house doesn't smell', bullshit I just got punched in the face with cat piss smell as soon as I walked in the door.

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009
One of my cats shat in the bathtub the other day.
I still love it. gently caress the haters.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Guancho posted:

I don't mind cats but I'd never have one for a pet. They stink up a house really bad.

And for everyone who says 'oh i have cats and my house doesn't smell', bullshit I just got punched in the face with cat piss smell as soon as I walked in the door.

If you are bad at cleaning a litter box and/or have upset the cat, yes, your house will smell like piss. Some cats are not chill, just like dogs, and if you stress out a cat they will piss everywhere, just like an upset dog.

If you've established who is boss and how things are gonna go from the get go, they will do their best to hide their excrement from you in the box (you bought the odor absorbing litter... right?) because that's how it works. They don't need poop-angry or pee-angry hairless apes possibly trying to murder them.

Cat body language is different than dog body language, but it's totally understandable unless you are, in fact, a creepy shithead. They also do sight (blinking, looking away and back but squinty means everything is chill while staring means poo poo's gonna go down one way or another) things instead of smelling all up on things like a dog.

Cats and dogs are different but both cool. Well-adjusted cats are great, like small dogs but not lame at all. Perhaps people who don't like cats (creepy shitheads) are thinking of feral cats when they think of cats.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
It's so weird going to other peoples' homes and encountering their traumatized semi-feral cats compared to my cool chill cats or my parents' cool cats. I dunno how people can gently caress up so bad raising a catten.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

This is the real problem with cats. 3 billion birds annually ! I know you love your cat, but birds are cool too and deserve a chance.

Keep your drat cat inside the house, jerks !

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
well if the birds didnt wanna die maybe they should fly away~

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
The only thing my cat can catch is worms

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I have a cat that's a nice cat it just spends all day murdering.

Murdering murdering murdering.

Torturing rodent animals it finds until they die or until the dogs decide to help out and eat the chipmunk or mouse or whatever.

Besides that the cat is very nice and friendly.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If a cat was big enough it would undoubtedly torture you to death, yeah

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Cats are pretty much autistic.

People that like cats are autistic

It's not a mystery

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

In short, dogs are awesome, but they typically show emotion to anyone, even strangers. Cats want nothing to do with strangers. Since you have to earn a cat's trust, people who never owned cats tend to hate them. I had no strong opinion on them before my wife brought her childhood cat into our home, and after a few months, I saw what all the hubbub was about!

bullshit.

Also I paid 300 bucks for this thing it better love me right off the bat.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i stayed at myu sisters for a week to look after their dog and whenever i went out for a smoke the dog was very excited and jumped up and wagged his tail and wanted me to pat him and for the first day i thought "wow what a nice and happy dog i like this dog and he likes me" and after that it got really old and i realised that the dog didnt like me it just liked me patting it and if i didnt pat it it would poke me with his paw and if i still didnt react he would sit on my foot and i thought then that a benefit of having a cat is that you always know where you stand

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

there was an old towel outside and i played like tug of war with the dog with it the first day and every day after that he would pick it up and carry it around following me i took a photo after wrapping it around his head because i thought it was funny

i hope you like the picture of a dog that i took

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Sometimes the cat will act like it wants you to pat the belly

don't

pat

the

belly

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

don't

pat

the

belly

Never do this. I read somewhere that since prey animals often get disemboweled via belly, it sort of mimics an attack and makes most cats feel incredibly insecure. It would be like if a human friend went from a friendly bro hug to suddenly grabbing your balls.

Otherwise cats are cool but unlike dogs, they are born with personalities that either love or hate humanity and the ones that hate getting pet and act half-wild suck. Either own a cat or own a big dog. Both are a thousand times better than yappy little shithead dogs. For every small dog that is cool (because it has a human owner that doesn't treat it like a literal infant) there are a thousand worthless little yappy bite machines that are constantly being cradled in the arm of a lovely person who won't let it act like the little mutant wolf abortion it really is

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cuckoo posted:

For every small dog that is cool

I had a teacup poodle (didn't buy it, relative gave it to me because her husband hated it) and she was the coolest dog ever, and probably my favorite of all my pets. One of the things she loved to do was crawl right up your belly and nuzzle her head under your chin.

She barked like a motherfucker though all the time at anybody she didn't know or any noise she heard outside, but that's the way toy poodles are. I thought it was funny but I'm sure guests didn't.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i have a pet catamount, it preys on my neighbors who are all "DURRR cats are bad and im creepy!! stop killing our children"

idiots

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Bolow posted:

Cats are pretty much autistic.

People that like cats are autistic

It's not a mystery

http://www.amazon.com/All-Cats-Have-Asperger-Syndrome/dp/1843104814

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Decebal posted:

This is the real problem with cats. 3 billion birds annually ! I know you love your cat, but birds are cool too and deserve a chance.

Keep your drat cat inside the house, jerks !

Some birds deserve it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HDqjX7gRyA

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bolow posted:

People that like dogs are autistic

FTFY

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

don't

pat

the

belly

That's not a bellypat request, dummy. When cats are on their backs they can bite as well as claw you with all four sets of claws, which are all super sharp compared to doggy digpaws. It's their disembowel finishing move. Just let them be when they do that. They're not taunting you when they do that, they just wanna get their stretch on and not have their undercarriage hosed with, that's submissive doggy nonsense.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
when you buy a cat do they inject you with some kind of drug that makes you crazy over some disease carrying pests or are you crazy before purchasing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etherealshaq
Mar 6, 2010

COME DOWN AND EAT CHICKEN WITH ME, BEAUTIFUL. IT'S SOOOOOOOOOO DARK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loJWtdJmG1I

cats are more entertaining to watch

• Locked thread