Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Philly doesn't always do what they should do, however.

quote:

Show up to a January shootaround at Wells Fargo Center, 120 minutes before tip-off, and two things quickly become apparent. First: These Sixers are conspicuously long-limbed -- 10 of the 14 athletes boast a wingspan at least six inches longer than their height. Second: With the remarkable exception of forward Robert Covington -- an undrafted, sweet-shooting 24-year-old with a 7-2 wingspan -- approximately none of them can, you know, shoot.

quote:

Kelly Oubre Measured 6'7 (with shoes) 190 lbs with a 7'1 wingspan at the 2013 Kevin Durant Skills Academy ... Measured 6'6.5 (with shoes) 204 lbs with a 7'2 wingspan and 8'8 standing reach at the 2014 Nike Hoop Summit ... Measured 6'7 (in shoes) 199 lbs, with a 7'1.5 wingspan at the 2014 Kevin Durant Skills Academy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Philadelphia found their future by looking back to their past - An entire team of Dikembe Mutumbos.

I guess Dikembe had an okay jumper, though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

I guess Dikembe had an okay jumper, though.

he what

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Philly watches MCW jumpers so go off of that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I literally do not remember seeing Dikembe take a single jumper ever. I'm sure it happened. He apparently attempted two three pointers in his career (missed both, but, ya know, sample size). Maybe he made a mid-range jumper on accident one time. But it could not have been very many. He barely shot the ball just in general much less from range.

Did you confuse him with Hakeem? Or Manute Bol? Hakeem had a decent midrange shot and there was that weird period where Manute started shooting threes. They are all very tall African people with strange sounding names, so I understand. Or do you have access to some secret video database of him drilling jumpers in practice? I want an explanation.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 17, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It looks like Deke took about 12% of his shots more than 3' from the basket.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

He's been that big for a few years now too. I think the only reason people weren't posting his videos here was a general sense that it's kinda weird to salivate over 14 year olds. He was like 7 foot by 8th grade. Same ethnic group as as Manute Bol. Dinkas are a lanky people
Getting all googly-eyed over 14-year-olds isn't just kind of weird and perverse, but it can also lead to situations where years down the road you end up looking like a complete idiot. See: Cotton, Schea.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
Ronnie Brewer was a better jump shooter than both MCW and Tony Wroten. Actually, the combined duo of Mutombo and Ronnie Brewer is better than the combined duo of MCW and Tony Wroten (at jumpshots).

Mutombo took close to 200 jump shots each of his first two seasons, then a total of another 200 over the rest of his career.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

I literally do not remember seeing Dikembe take a single jumper ever. I'm sure it happened. He apparently attempted two three pointers in his career (missed both, but, ya know, sample size). Maybe he made a mid-range jumper on accident one time. But it could not have been very many. He barely shot the ball just in general much less from range.

Did you confuse him with Hakeem? Or Manute Bol? Hakeem had a decent midrange shot and there was that weird period where Manute started shooting threes. They are all very tall African people with strange sounding names, so I understand. Or do you have access to some secret video database of him drilling jumpers in practice? I want an explanation.

I think it was a phantom memory, especially since the only YouTube video I could pull up under "Mutumbo makes a jumper" was Shaq making a jumper on him.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Crazy Ted posted:

Getting all googly-eyed over 14-year-olds isn't just kind of weird and perverse, but it can also lead to situations where years down the road you end up looking like a complete idiot. See: Cotton, Schea.

and who can forget the American Pele Freddy Adu

Thon Maker's real advantage which can never leave him, like that of Manute Bol's 14 year old 6'10" son Bol Bol, is an undeniably fun name. But if Australians want to be excited about a prospect then Ben Simmons is closer on the horizon.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Mutumbo did become a serviceable offensive player at one point, or at least if you threw him the ball right under the basket with some space, he could put it in if he wasn't fouled too hard.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Edit:

I still can't believe he averaged nearly 17 ppg as a rookie.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 18, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jack's Flow posted:

He played the most minutes on one of those crazy Westhead Nuggets teams that went a million miles an hour, so he had a lot of possessions to work with.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX89ijwRFV8

He walks on just about every basket he scores in the first half of that video and he's pretty awkward but he gets the job done. No jumpers, though. Hook shots from outside the paint!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Jack's Flow posted:

Edit:

No defenders no crowd I choose to believe that's from warmups so still never a jumper in a game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Even he seems surprised to be shooting a jumper

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Word out of KC today is that Cliff Alexander is leaning heavily towards going to the draft this year so this should excite whoever is picking around 27.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He'll go first round and get guranteed money so it's not a huge mistake. He could go higher next year but he could also drop like a rock if he doesn't take a big step forward. At his size he can only live on the potential thing for so long. And without knowing more I could see him being unhappy with his role at KU.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Can't disagree with any of that. He recently earned a starting spot but didn't play much last night because West Virginia and that crazy trapping defense neccesitates an experienced big who is a reliable passer.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?

MourningView posted:

He'll go first round and get guranteed money so it's not a huge mistake. He could go higher next year but he could also drop like a rock if he doesn't take a big step forward. At his size he can only live on the potential thing for so long. And without knowing more I could see him being unhappy with his role at KU.

Yeah, kinda reminds me of Poythress' situation after his freshman year. If he doesn't improve, his stock will plummet.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Kidd-Liggit posted:

Yeah, kinda reminds me of Poythress' situation after his freshman year. If he doesn't improve, his stock will plummet.

What happens with him this year considering the injury?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He goes undrafted

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

chunkles posted:

He goes undrafted

It was always a little depressing to watch him and Lebryan Nash slowly slide down the draft boards every year for the last 4 years.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I mean, I guess he comes back. Dude will have graduated with a degree in finance or business administration or something after this year though and along with the fact UK has a decent chance to win a national title this year, he may decide to just move on.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

He goes undrafted

Someone will roll the dice on the him in the second after next year probably, which is about the best he could have hoped for even before the injury.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

MourningView posted:

Someone will roll the dice on the him in the second after next year probably, which is about the best he could have hoped for even before the injury.

You really think someone will bite?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope you all watched the Hezjona tape from DE

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Mario-Hezonja-vs-Real-Madrid-Video-Analysis-4813/

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Next to oversized PGs and athletic defensive bigs, raw Euro athletes are my rushmore

I have not been able to follow the draft or even college basketball as closely as I'd like this year :/

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

You really think someone will bite?

Unless he's like completely horrible when he comes back, sure. He's super athletic and has a lot of "great intangibles" bullshit around him.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Unless he's like completely horrible when he comes back, sure. He's super athletic and has a lot of "great intangibles" bullshit around him.

If he gives his teammates enough handshakes and has An NBA Caliber Strength and Conditioning Program maybe he'll turn into Horace Grant

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Declan, as resident Caulie-Stein fan, talk him up to me and how he'll fix the Kings

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

Cauley-Stein runs the floor really well for a big and has very soft hands. While he's not great offensively hes shown improvement in that category every year at Kentucky, and he's the best defensive big in college basketball. Struggles a bit with huge centers but he can defend the post well, can legitimately switch onto guards on the perimeter and prevent them from driving around him. The big question with him is his effort/motor because he'll randomly just kinda glide through a game and have like 3 points and a rebound.

e: Also, he'll randomly(once every 5 games or so) decide he's a point guard and try to dribble through the press or thread a pass through traffic.

Kidd-Liggit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 18, 2015

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Grantland with a long piece titled

quote:

The Resurrection of Kyle Wiltjer

http://grantland.com/features/ncaa-...l-championship/

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
WCS is the best defensive player in the draft but he's starting to fall back to earth offensively a little after a strong stretch early in the year. The potential is there to at least be a really good roll guy, but that's the absolute best you're going to get out of him on that end and he doesn't do it consistently.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
MV who's your college team? I hear some Iowa squad is doing amazin' this year is that your thing ?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

MV who's your college team? I hear some Iowa squad is doing amazin' this year is that your thing ?

No, I'm a fan of The University of Iowa, who are a NCAA bubble team and only the third best team in the state. Iowa State and especially Northern Iowa are both having great seasons. UNI is actually a pretty strong program in general by mid-major standards, but they're close to the top 10 this year and having their best season ever, so that's probably the one you're thinking of.

Iowa at one point had the best program in the state by a big margin, but they made a couple awful coaching hires in a row that are still handicapping the program. When I got there in 09 they were one of the worst teams in the country. They've sort of crawled their way back up to respectability the last three years, but it's not where it was.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 18, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MourningView posted:

WCS is the best defensive player in the draft but he's starting to fall back to earth offensively a little after a strong stretch early in the year. The potential is there to at least be a really good roll guy, but that's the absolute best you're going to get out of him on that end and he doesn't do it consistently.

Thinking about your post made me look up Branden Wright. I did not know he was the 8th pick of the 2007 draft right in front of Noah.

Of course WCS is way way bigger than Wright.

edit

Actually Wright has a 2" longer wingspan than WCS :wtc:

euphronius fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 18, 2015

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Declan, as resident Caulie-Stein fan, talk him up to me and how he'll fix the Kings

Well, in theory he compliments Cousins very well, since while Cousins is (at times) excellent at defending the pick and roll, and with WCS behind him to protect the rim, he can gamble a bit on the perimeter and chase guys around. Offensively, it's a bit more difficult to see how they fit together (Cousins excels at putting the ball on the floor and passing, WCS is a garbageman/roll guy, and neither of them are especially good at either posting up or stretching the floor) but WCS figures to be a low usage player on offense, especially if Gay and Cousins are there (moreso if they trade for Dragic). There's also the possibility that Boogie develops a midrange jumper (he seems to hover around 40% from that range although it's been pretty up and down from year to year) but a lot of his value comes from him crashing the boards so I don't know if you want him hanging out on the outside. That being said he makes so much sense on defense that you should probably draft him anyways and figure out the offense later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

It was my own understanding that a big part of what made Cousins go from potentially great to great is not shooting so many of those midrange shots and just going down low and doing what he does best more frequently. Why would you draft a less skillful guy who'd take up more space down low and force Cousins out to the midrange area again? I know he's improved from there and some low usage guy won't be the one necessarily forcing a guy like Cousins out but look at Omer Asik. He's low usage and not particularly offensively skilled so the only area he's respected is near the basket, forcing others away from him. Also, what is the benefit of having a 280lbs guy like Cousins gambling on the perimeter defensively?

• Locked thread