Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
Meh, Harrison isn't the problem with Towns. He gets plenty of touches in the post and around the basket, he's just a huge wuss who wilts if he gets hit in the paint. Dude just finesses poo poo around the basket and is incredibly weak with the ball (gets stripped a lot). Not to mention he always tries overly complicated poo poo instead of just going to the rim, like against Bama, he did some turnaround fadeaway shot against a defender 3 inches shorter and 25 lbs lighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Someone tell me about D'Angelo Russell, he has been skyrocketing up the DraftExpress mock draft recently and I know almost zero about him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Guard for OSU. Stepped in as a freshman and immediately became their go to guy and became one of the best scorers in the county. He's a really good outside shooter and pretty good going to the basket. NBA teams are projecting him as a possible point guard right now but that's mostly desperation. He plays like a 2 and has plenty of size for the position. Other than maybe Muiday he's he beast guard in the class by miles and looks like one of the most nba ready guys. He's the player I want utah to wind up with the most.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

and looks like one of the most nba ready guys.

Watch it now.
He is the only OSU guy Ive ever liked.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Can anyone tell me where they think the Knicks are ending up and who'd be a good fit for them? We might have a serviceable sixth and seventh man combo of Galloway and Hardaway Jr. for the future but outside of Melo the team is basically a dumpster fire.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Doltos posted:

Can anyone tell me where they think the Knicks are ending up and who'd be a good fit for them? We might have a serviceable sixth and seventh man combo of Galloway and Hardaway Jr. for the future but outside of Melo the team is basically a dumpster fire.

Frankly, I can only see Greg Monroe as a possible signing and for the max. The top guys seem destined to stay with their teams, it's not looking good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Boosh! posted:

Frankly, I can only see Greg Monroe as a possible signing and for the max. The top guys seem destined to stay with their teams, it's not looking good.

I'd take Monroe, Lowe is saying he's playing like one of the best big men in the East.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Doltos posted:

Knicks need literally anyone at any position and will finish in the bottom three of the NBA (most likely). Best players are Okafor, Towns, and Mudiay. D'Angelo Russell rocketed up a bunch of people's draft boards but I haven't had the chance to watch any of his footage.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man, the Lakers lost nine in a row before the win on Thursday and still barely holding onto that pick. I was just about to force myself to watch non-Arizona college ball to get some familiarity with these dudes but maybe it's pointless.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
6'5" Brazilian point guard with a 7'1 wingspan and crazy big hands. This guy ticks all the boxes. Could he be as good as Bruno Caboclo?? Stay tuned to the NBA and find out

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-George-Lucas-4814

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

chunkles posted:

6'5" Brazilian point guard with a 7'1 wingspan and crazy big hands. This guy ticks all the boxes. Could he be as good as Bruno Caboclo?? Stay tuned to the NBA and find out

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NBA-Draft-Prospect-of-the-Week-George-Lucas-4814

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
He can reach the floor without stretching.

Are we calling him Star Wars or what

Which Star Warses are we talking about when we do

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's has to be a photo shop

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
So would you guys say this is shaping up to be a deep draft? Top heavy draft? Bad draft? Seeing some names up high that I know might struggle in the NBA so I'm pretty nervous.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Barbosa had similar measurements when he came out

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

So would you guys say this is shaping up to be a deep draft? Top heavy draft? Bad draft? Seeing some names up high that I know might struggle in the NBA so I'm pretty nervous.

Somewhere in the middle of all of those, and it depends on what your team needs. If you need an athletic defensive big man then it's really deep. If you need a guard or a lights out shooter then it's pretty bad.

Overall I think it's decent though. Okafor and Russell are a really strong top two, and there are a decent number of other guys with a shot at making an impact.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 11, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Not as good as last year, better than the year before. Last year's draft was decimated by injuries but the talent level was really high.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Stanley Johnson looks mean. He might struggle to fit in if he's not on the right team, but with the right players around him he could be really really good. I love his little stepback and I love the way he looks with momentum.

Hassan Whiteside makes me feel better about Karl Towns. The tools will win out, even if it takes him a little bit to learn not to be as soft as a baby's belly. Maybe he's just afraid of getting hurt before he turns pro?

BIZORT posted:

Man you remember everything. You might have the best memory of any non brain tumor causing borderline mystical abilities guy.

He's a freak.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Igor Strelkov posted:

Stanley Johnson looks mean. He might struggle to fit in if he's not on the right team, but with the right players around him he could be really really good. I love his little stepback and I love the way he looks with momentum.

Hassan Whiteside makes me feel better about Karl Towns. The tools will win out, even if it takes him a little bit to learn not to be as soft as a baby's belly. Maybe he's just afraid of getting hurt before he turns pro?

I really like Johnson. He's not finishing as well as you'd like (maybe because he's not the most explosive dude in the world, despite how he looks), but he's strong enough that he should be able to improve that, and he draws fouls, hits threes, and has a nice mid-range game. He's also actually showing he can be the go-to guy for a good team, which is big at this stage. He's goon on the boards and plays defense too. Draft express has him 5th right now which seems about right to me.

Towns has been better lately! They've been making more of a concerted effort to get him the ball and he's responded well the last few games. And he's still really good as a shotblocker and rebounder. He'll be better in the NBA where he'll be asked to mostly be a pick and roll guy early.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

BIZORT posted:

I recall having the same reaction to a photo of Jeremy Lamb but he was only 6'5"/6'11" and didn't have those obscene triceps

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
When guys are all hunched over and the camera is at a weird angle arms can look way longer than they actually are. Lamb still has a ridiculous wingspan though, and 7'1" on a 6'5" body is also pretty ridiculous.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So the stretch 4/5 rankings are:

1 - Okafor
2 - Towns
3 - Johnson
4 - Kaminsky
5 - Portis?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

So the stretch 4/5 rankings are:

1 - Okafor
2 - Towns
3 - Johnson
4 - Kaminsky
5 - Portis?

Are you asking about big men who can hit threes or just like a general list of good big guys? Either way this list is hosed up on a bunch of levels, I just want to know which ones for sure.

For "big guys who can shoot" I'd go

1. Kaminsky
2. Prozingas (based entirely on rep, I haven't seen a second of him)
3. Myles Turner
4. Towns (hasn't actually shot well in college but had that rep coming out)
5. Looney (see above)

If it's just a general ranking of big guys I'd go:

1. Okafor
2. Towns
3. Turner
4. Looney
5. Porzingas

with Portis pretty close behind

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 12, 2015

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

The Glumslinger posted:

Someone tell me about D'Angelo Russell, he has been skyrocketing up the DraftExpress mock draft recently and I know almost zero about him

Just read the Grantland piece on him, saw the highlights and learned that he's a southpaw! I'm all in on that dude.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
hey there was some important W C-S news I missed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRjYRl1veuU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

It's 2016 draft news, but it's pretty important.

Thon Maker will be making his decision to reclassify sometime this week. If he does, and all signs are that he will, then the 2016 draft just got a lot more interesting. Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas and Indiana are all recruiting him heavily.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 17, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I feel like - if I am the Sixers - Oubre would be the best at this point, IDK.

Russell and Mudiay look too small for what the Sixers like.

They both seem to be about 6'5" with a 6'8" wingspan. (Which is slightly bigger than MCW.)

Thon Maker has "the look". He looks like a NBA big already.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 17, 2015

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

They both seem to be about 6'5" with a 6'8" wingspan. (Which is slightly bigger than MCW.)

Holy poo poo, he is 17 years old and is 7'1".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Watch Hezonja's highlights v Real Madrid

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mario-Hezonja-6392/

He had 22 points and looked decent for 19 yo.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Paul Zuvella posted:

Holy poo poo, he is 17 years old and is 7'1".

He's been that big for a few years now too. I think the only reason people weren't posting his videos here was a general sense that it's kinda weird to salivate over 14 year olds. He was like 7 foot by 8th grade. Same ethnic group as as Manute Bol. Dinkas are a lanky people

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
People a saddling Maker with a really unfair amount of hype based on one youtube highlight tape.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MourningView posted:

People a saddling Maker with a really unfair amount of hype based on one youtube highlight tape.

There is a video literally called "Thon Maker will change basketball as we know it". This kid is doomed.

Though I hope he makes it in the NBA as a defensive presence just so he can have the nickname "Thon Maker the Ball Taker"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He made a couple threes in a tape so now he is a taller Kevin Durant, somehow.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've read a lot about how Thon will go long long periods of playing really unremarkably and then do some highlight-worthy thing but admittedly I haven't watched it myself and that was from a while ago. I also hope he isn't married to his 3 like Myles Turner.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

I think Russell might be able to play next to MCW. Or replace him.

I hope they get either him or Stanley Johnson.

e:

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 17, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

I've read a lot about how Thon will go long long periods of playing really unremarkably and then do some highlight-worthy thing but admittedly I haven't watched it myself and that was from a while ago. I also hope he isn't married to his 3 like Myles Turner.

Before a recent slump Turner was hitting 3s at a good clip.

Also Russell is plenty big enough to play SG and taking Oubre over him would be really dumb.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 17, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Are we talking about somebody shoehorning Oubre into a SG role? I hope not because nope.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MourningView posted:

Also Russell is plenty big enough to play SG and taking Oubre over him would be really dumb.

Chad Ford Agrees

quote:

What the team needs is someone in the backcourt who can really shoot. Russell is that guy, and he would be a perfect fit next to Michael Carter-Williams in Philly.

Of the guys at the top of the draft, Russell is far and away the best fit for the Sixers. If Embiid can get healthy and live up to his potential, Noel and MCW continue to develop, Saric comes over and continues his strong play from Europe, and Russell comes in as a dominant backcourt scorer in the mold of James Harden, suddenly the Sixers' future starts to look much brighter.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/mock/

I dont know if posting insider is kosher in SAS but it would be nice to see his top ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

euphronius posted:

I dont know if posting insider is kosher in SAS but it would be nice to see his top ten.

Just as long as you include any retroactive updates.

• Locked thread