Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

BIZORT posted:

It was my own understanding that a big part of what made Cousins go from potentially great to great is not shooting so many of those midrange shots and just going down low and doing what he does best more frequently. Why would you draft a less skillful guy who'd take up more space down low and force Cousins out to the midrange area again? I know he's improved from there and some low usage guy won't be the one necessarily forcing a guy like Cousins out but look at Omer Asik. He's low usage and not particularly offensively skilled so the only area he's respected is near the basket, forcing others away from him. Also, what is the benefit of having a 280lbs guy like Cousins gambling on the perimeter defensively?

Cousins is disruptive in passing lanes and is a useful help defender whereas he's weaker in iso and in the low post.

As it stands Cousins has a lot of double teams so in theory he could pass out to WCS if teams try to cheat off of him. I don't know how they would necessarily work out the offense there but Cousins is taking about as many shots from outside as he always has (about 65% from inside of 10 feet, about 35% from outside of 10 feet, same as the rest of his career) so it's unlikely that his improvement is as simple as "stopped taking bad shots".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Ugh you're right. I need to look at BBR before making posts that go off of my dumb eye tests

Anyway, does Okafor project into something like a taller Elton Brand?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I dunno, how often did Brand have his back to the basket? I really don't remember, it feels like a decade since he was good

Okafor is pretty much constantly in the low post (and for good reason, pretty much no one can stop him there) but also does pretty well when he puts the ball on the floor. He's also a pretty good passer. Offensively, he'll probably be a weird hybrid of Al Jefferson and DeMarcus Cousins. Defensively, he'll probably be a hybrid of Big Al and a folding chair

Fake edit: ooh have a chart

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cousins has good hands and instincts, Lowe pointed it out a bit when talking about his defensive improvements. The attention wanes at times, but when he's allowed to sag off screens (an adjustment Malone made this year) and corral ball handlers like he was a goalie he can be very disruptive. Unfortunately while his attention is on the guard/wing, the Kings forget to rotate or help and the basket is wide open

As far as offense goes, he's been paired with the likes of Samuel Dalembert, Jason Thompson, Reggie Evans, JJ Hickson, and Carl Landry throughout most of his career. The only time he's had a stretchy guy next to him were those 2 months Patrick Patterson didn't play like poo poo for us. It might not be an ideal fit but it's not like he's really had one before.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Okafor is so unstoppable around the basket that it broke Kevin Pelton's projection thing. It just assumes no one can actually make that high a percentage of 2 pointers and regresses him like crazy.

The Jefferson comparison works in terms of polish as a post scorer and rebounding ability, but he has a way better all around game. Al is a complete black hole most of the time, while Okafor is a good passer who knows how to find the open guy when he's doubled. He's also a lot better cutting off the ball too, and of course he's bigger so the defensive issues aren't quite as pronounced, even though they're still there. Brand was actually really good defensively so I dunno that I like that one as much.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Philly just traded MCW. All bets are off.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

So the smart money is on either Mudiay or Russell being Sixers next season and I'm completely okay with that.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Ty1990 posted:

So the smart money is on either Mudiay or Russell being Sixers next season and I'm completely okay with that.

Yeah, that was my thought too.

They are going hard after Mudiay, I bet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Looks like the Sixers are well suited to move down or move up depending on what they want and how they value guys. They have a lot of ammo to move up and if they land number one, I could see them trading Okafor for a fortune.

I love the NBA draft.

edit

Bosh may miss the rest of the season. That Heat pick could be really close to 10.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Looks like the Sixers are well suited to move down or move up depending on what they want and how they value guys. They have a lot of ammo to move up and if they land number one, I could see them trading Okafor for a fortune.

I love the NBA draft.

edit

Bosh may miss the rest of the season. That Heat pick could be really close to 10.

Okafor is way better than Embiid or Noel so I don't know why you'd trade him.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Okafor #1, trade Noel for the #2 pick for Mudiay.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

I believe he meant trading their treasure trove of picks to move up in the draft to pick Okafor for themselves. The 76ers don't even have the worst record right now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If they get Okafor and they like him of course they could keep him.

I just meant if they get #1 and feel like they want to move him, they are in a great spot that way too. They can move up or down.

If I had to choose Id take Embiid over Okafor, but obv yeah you can play both.

I don't think Noel is very good right now and not really a consideration.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

If they get Okafor and they like him of course they could keep him.

I just meant if they get #1 and feel like they want to move him, they are in a great spot that way too. They can move up or down.

If I had to choose Id take Embiid over Okafor, but obv yeah you can play both.

I don't think Noel is very good right now and not really a consideration.

I think trading Okafor would be a horrible misstep if Hinkie's plan is to rebuild via the draft. He looks like he has the opportunity to be a once in a generation type post player. We don't even know if Embiid can play.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
They're going to draft Okafor and trot out a line up of Aldemir, McGee, Noel, Embiid, Okafor.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Okafor #1, trade Noel for the #2 pick for Mudiay.

No one is trading a pick that high for Noel now.\

Trading up and down in the draft is way harder than y'all always seem to think it is.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, why would someone trade a top pick for Noel who is two years closer to being off his rookie contract when they could have traded a song for him on draft night?

Hopefully Embiid gets some playing time this year, as I think his play will determine a lot of moves the Sixers make. Either way, if they get the #1 they will take and play okafor.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

MourningView posted:

Trading up and down in the draft is way harder than y'all always seem to think it is.

Master trader Morey tried time and again to do this and when he finally managed it, it was going from like 14 to 12. Teams have way more faith in their drafting and development then they probably should.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

chunkles posted:

Master trader Morey tried time and again to do this and when he finally managed it, it was going from like 14 to 12. Teams have way more faith in their drafting and development then they probably should.

If you draft down and someone on or between your spots hits you are chewed out by the media for a decade.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Basically no matter what you do you're gonna get chewed on by the media for a decade though

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Desperately trying not to take the bait.

edit: and failing. If he stays healthy Embiid can be transcendental. I don't think people who haven't watched him every game understand the rate at which he excelled. It was insane to watch, every week some new amazing thing happened like he'd been doing it for years. He'll never be Anthony Davis but most anything else is possible.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 20, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

Noel I don't see how it's even debatable. Embiid maybe. Okafor is better right now and safer, but Emiid's ceiling is insane and he showed flashes of being great while also managing to be at least a good college player.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kiimo posted:

edit: and failing. If he stays healthy Embiid can be transcendental. I don't think people who haven't watched him every game understand the rate at which he excelled. It was insane to watch, every week some new amazing thing happened like he'd been doing it for years. He'll never be Anthony Davis but most anything else is possible.

It's not exactly bait, no one knows how good any of these players are going to be so at a certain point this is all speculative. Like Okafor is really loving good. Joel Embiid was really good, but he looked completely invisible for huge stretches of games in college and would occasionally do something super cool. We literally have no idea how he is going to translate to the NBA, where everyone is bigger, stronger, and better.

Okafor on the other hand is completely domination college defenders, has one of the most polished post games I've seen in college, and is an excellent passer for a player his size. He has just as much a ceiling as embiid and a much, much higher floor.

I also didn't say "The sixers should get rid of Noel and Embiid" I responded to someone saying the Sixers should trade Okafor if they got the #1 pick, which I think would be incredibly, incredibly stupid.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm trying to imagine Okafor and Embiid playing together. The paint would be like a redwood forest.

I am not sure what you mean by disappearing for huge stretches. That was Wiggins. Embiid only disappeared when he hurt his back.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Embiid was really up and down in a way that Okafor hasn't been. He'd usually do something that showed how great he could be in every game but he rarely would consistently dominate a game like he sometimes looked like he could, and like Okafor does now. Which was sort of to be expected given where he was at in his development cycle, but I assume that's what he means.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well Okafor has been special. That's not normal for a freshman I don't think. Freshman are usually inconsistent.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

Embiid was really up and down in a way that Okafor hasn't been. He'd usually do something that showed how great he could be in every game but he rarely would consistently dominate a game like he sometimes looked like he could, and like Okafor does now. Which was sort of to be expected given where he was at in his development cycle, but I assume that's what he means.

Yeah, I mean Embiid showed a ton of potential with how quick he was learning and putting things together, but Okafor already has put it together

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Okafor's already played 150 more minutes than Embiid did in college. Probably helps that Okafor fouls less than half as much as Embiid did, but there's probably some other things going on too. I was under the impression that everyone was much, much higher on Embiid's potential as a defender?

also from a few pages ago yeah it was UNI I was hearing about.

Also D'angelo Russell is another Montverde Academy alum, that school's really producing a lot of players

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

kiimo posted:

Well Okafor has been special. That's not normal for a freshman I don't think. Freshman are usually inconsistent.

Has he been special defensively?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

EvanTH posted:

I was under the impression that everyone was much, much higher on Embiid's potential as a defender?

You are right, first draft analysis on him I pulled up...

quote:

Defensively, Embiid is a game-changer. He has impeccable timing and hand-eye coordination, making him a dominant shot blocker. His length is imposing. He can turn an open shot into a blocked shot and make it look easy. Embiid’s length and feet should allow him to become a great pick-and-roll defender, particularly when his team chooses to ice. I see a lot of Kevin Garnett in him in this aspect. His wingspan and lateral agility will prevent guards from turning the corner and getting to the rim. It’s shocking to fathom that this kid has only been playing basketball for four years. He is just so smooth at both ends of the court. If he continues to improve the way he has since he first began playing, he could put together a career worthy of the Hall of Fame.

I forgot he was the favorite to be the overall first pick before his foot fracture was discovered.

Oh and I'm not sure how Okafor compares defensively but Towns definitely.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Okafor's relatively average defensively. He's kinda slowfooted but he's big enough that he can deter shots that way, and he's pretty smart. Towns is really good defensively, but he's a lot worse offensively than Okafor is on defense.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Am I retarded to say that if I had to choose, as a Sixers fan, who I wanted in June that I would take Russell or Mudiay over Okafor? This is based on me loving Embiid and assuming we won't be able to fetch all that much for Noel in a trade (by that I mean him + a first wouldn't get us back into the top 6 IMO).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It makes sense based on need but I don't think you pass on Okafor. He's the clear cut number 1 prospect and I don't think you pass one of those up if you have the pick. And I especially wouldn't do it for Muiday who seems like a huge unknown. There's a lot of ifs with Embiid too. Passing on what looks like the best player in the class and then watching Embiid continue to get hurt or stall out in his development would be pretty bad.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
If you have the opportunity to have a repeat twin towers situation like San Antonio did but with a David Robinson more the same age as Tim Duncan, you do it.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly though, what would prevent them from possibly having the first triple towers? Its not unreasonable for Noel to come off the bench for 30 minutes and pair with whoever isnt tired or in foul trouble. It has potential to be ridiculous.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

jimcunningham posted:

Honestly though, what would prevent them from possibly having the first triple towers? Its not unreasonable for Noel to come off the bench for 30 minutes and pair with whoever isnt tired or in foul trouble. It has potential to be ridiculous.

Pels have done pretty well with a jumbo package of Anthony Davis, Omer Asik, and Ryan Anderson. The Jazz had some success, too, when they played with Al Jefferson, Derrick Favors, and Paul Millsap.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The only issue I really see with it is that I don't think either Embiid or Okafor can play PF defensively, but that's still on those things I think you try to figure out probably.

Kibner posted:

Pels have done pretty well with a jumbo package of Anthony Davis, Omer Asik, and Ryan Anderson. The Jazz had some success, too, when they played with Al Jefferson, Derrick Favors, and Paul Millsap.

Yeah but neither of those are comparable becuse they didn't feature three guys who all get almost all of their offense around the basket. Anderson shoots threes and Davis doesn't wreck spacing either because you can let him work out of the high post. Utah was a little closer but Millsap can shoot too.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 21, 2015

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

The only issue I really see with it is that I don't think either Embiid or Okafor can play PF defensively, but that's still on those things I think you try to figure out probably.

I would imagine they will be able to once there bodies stop growing and play for 2 or 3 years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

jimcunningham posted:

I would imagine they will be able to once there bodies stop growing and play for 2 or 3 years.

Okafor is never going to be quick enough for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
Do normal trade rules apply on draft day or could you deal Deron Williams and/or Joe Johnson for just a draft pick and not have to match salaries? Not that I'm saying any team should accept such an offer from the Nets, but would it be viable?

• Locked thread