Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

straight up brolic posted:

Cons: Dominican, and therefore not trustworthy.

he's been competing AGAINST Team USA since he was 16, it's kinda hosed up and sinister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I was looking around for some gameplay videos of Okafor (how they work in the set, mistakes as well as successes) instead of those 1000 dunks HUGE UPSIDE capital letters videos and youtube keeps showing me new videos of Thon Maker while I'm reading that age discussion in the NBA thread and it's freaking me the hell out holy poo poo :eyepop:

but yah there were a few preseason videos and there's been a game or so now so I want to see how they're all doing. How does college preseason compare to NBA preseason? Asking cause things look lax as heck in that first one, barely bothering to pass out of a double
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUG7OKrzDmg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDD1xLddV_I

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 22, 2014

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
So I'm looking at Tyus Jones, and I'm thinking "Good News For Friendship Basketball", he's the guy what signed onto Duke as a package with Okafor because they're both from the high school of Apple Valley, Minnesota but then I'm thinking dang this kid looks like a ventriloquist dummy

then I'm thinking I wonder if he has to shave to make it two brows? then I'm wondering how many years of Anthony Davis Dominance it's going to take before we get more folks coming in leaving it as two? Or will they pick up a lil PG who's like Hey AD Me Too I wanna Be Like Antman. I can't wait !!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
That's so disappointing Apple Valley sounds like a Mario Brothers name like a name made up by foreign spies to sound Western

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
7 foot Latvian Kristaps Porzingis, DraftExpress #9, #2 international after Hezonja, busting out the Jordan Tongue. Remarkable veteran tongue presence for a kid who was born in, '95, between Bulls threepeats.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GERXqp8U9JE

?

I think he's been dropping in draft projections for a while now, no?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03T4HYI_BGY
good friendship and holy cow post spins

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
He can reach the floor without stretching.

Are we calling him Star Wars or what

Which Star Warses are we talking about when we do

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
hey there was some important W C-S news I missed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRjYRl1veuU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Paul Zuvella posted:

Holy poo poo, he is 17 years old and is 7'1".

He's been that big for a few years now too. I think the only reason people weren't posting his videos here was a general sense that it's kinda weird to salivate over 14 year olds. He was like 7 foot by 8th grade. Same ethnic group as as Manute Bol. Dinkas are a lanky people

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Crazy Ted posted:

Getting all googly-eyed over 14-year-olds isn't just kind of weird and perverse, but it can also lead to situations where years down the road you end up looking like a complete idiot. See: Cotton, Schea.

and who can forget the American Pele Freddy Adu

Thon Maker's real advantage which can never leave him, like that of Manute Bol's 14 year old 6'10" son Bol Bol, is an undeniably fun name. But if Australians want to be excited about a prospect then Ben Simmons is closer on the horizon.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
MV who's your college team? I hear some Iowa squad is doing amazin' this year is that your thing ?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Okafor's already played 150 more minutes than Embiid did in college. Probably helps that Okafor fouls less than half as much as Embiid did, but there's probably some other things going on too. I was under the impression that everyone was much, much higher on Embiid's potential as a defender?

also from a few pages ago yeah it was UNI I was hearing about.

Also D'angelo Russell is another Montverde Academy alum, that school's really producing a lot of players

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Max Awfuls posted:

Do normal trade rules apply on draft day or could you deal Deron Williams and/or Joe Johnson for just a draft pick and not have to match salaries? Not that I'm saying any team should accept such an offer from the Nets, but would it be viable?

Normal trade rules apply but in general you only have to match salaries when you're over the cap (although you can always acquire a minimum salary player). Everyone is almost always near enough the cap that a max salary player would put them over.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I been following Christmas for a few years and it sucks that he'll never play next to Nerlens Noel because 4 years at Syracuse is a defense death sentence

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

kiimo posted:

2016 will get stronger when Thon Maker re-classifies. Also that Australian 7-footer Isaac Humphries will boost the class.

edit: I'm confused. Thon Maker will re-classify out of the 2016 class into 2015. Isaac Humphries is the following year.

No I think you got it, 'class' was his high school, he'll be HS class of 2015 and he should be in the 2016 NBA draft along with a name favorite of mine for several years now, Diamond Stone

Y'all are right about upcoming Australians and Canadians. Here's some Ben Simmons game footage instead of an all-dunking mixtape:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNsLZ4bT4vo

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Haha

1) andrew bogut
2) luc longley
3) patty mills

nice squad you stupid fuckin country

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
2016 is supposed to have some top pick wings, and also maybe GARY PAYTON II as a second rounder. He is Gary Payton II instead of Gary Payton Jr. because Gary Payton Jr is a different and earlier one of Gary Payton Sr.'s sons. It must be awful to be so disappointed in your son Gary Jr that you try again with Gary 2

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hello I would very much like to know about SEC Player Of The Year Bobby Portis

:3:

recent SEC Player of the Years have gone on to be Anthony Davis, John Wall, and also a dude who is doing quite well for himself as a starter for the Cairn Taipans in Australia so I'm not sure what the Award means

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

I talked about him a few pages ago I think. I like him. Doesn't seem to have any serious flaws that jump out. Might be kinda bad at defensive rotations because that team's defense is garbage if they aren't forcing turnovers. But he has decent size for a 4, can score from all over, and is a good rebounder/shot blocker. I think he's a little undervalued at the moment but his stock seems to be rising. He should go somewhere in the middle/end of the lottery.

Realistically Towns was the actual best player/prospect in the SEC, but until about the last month or so he wasn't really producing like it for a variety of reasons, some his fault and some just UK being so deep. But Portis is really good.

Ah, you did, I missed it. I was rereading True Grit then so my brain couldn't handle an additional Portis until I seen the picture:

MourningView posted:

I really like Portis and I'm not sure why he isn't higher. He scores well inside and out, rebounds, blocks shots, and seems pretty athletic. He was a big time recruit and played well as freshman too so it's not like he's out of nowhere. Ford says he's not and explosive athlete but he seems fine to me and is good at stuff that typical corresponds with athleticism

Yeah I don't know what explosive athlete really means aside from dunking ability. Some kinda advanced metric of vertical leap divided by weight? I've watched a lil video now and he doesn't jump very high but he runs well for a big dude. Anyhow from what I've seen I'm 100% satisfied calling him The Next Kevin Garnett, evidence as follows:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
GP2 has been leaping up the draftboards since MV pointed out that a high college steals rate converts well to NBA play, and The Glove's brood is one of the NCAA leaders in steals. His dad says he's not aggressive enough tho'.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
N'Diaye is obviously nothing but size, so he's gonna get drafted by the Jazz and developed into an all-time defender as they do.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
And once there was a huge 20 year old that a junior college assistant coach found fixing cars and the Jazz took him in the third round and now he's the all-time NBA leader in blocked shots. I may have skipped over one or two things in this summary.

Mamadou is a West African form of Muhammad and N'Diaye is a very common Senegalese last name so there is no guarantee that his career course will be the same professional lackluster as the previous Mamadou N'Diaye. It's the French African form of just like being named John Smith, which doesn't imply that I have to handcraft luxury artisanal toilets all day, but it is something I very much enjoy doing.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

I'm gonna try to do a NBA draft guide to the sweet 16 with the players to watch for every team left later.

I really want to read this and can you talk about Arvydas' son even though I guess he probably won't enter the draft until at least next year?

edit: He's so much smaller than his legendary dad because dumb father chose to marry Lithuania's Best Babe Contest Winner instead of the pure basketball eugenics route we espouse nowadays:

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 23, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
gently caress Yeah here's a celebratory linked 19mb Arvydas Gif
http://i.imgur.com/8TWULU5.gif

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Oo thank you for the writeup. know I seen Buddy "Buddy Love" Hield play some D after losing it on this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBiksdUSOuk
He's got a good attitude and I like him.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Archeologists discover previously unknown Perry Ellis high school scouting mixtapes, there are many mysterious deaths on the boat transporting the film back to the mainland

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
don't forget DJ Hogg and Thon Maker and the newest Oak Hill Academy alum, Dwayne Bacon

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
He's actually a gigantic black dude who's been a youtube highlight sensation for years because he was 6'10" by like 9th or 10th grade and I would argue it sounds more like a cheap stripper name or an automatic translation of a news feed

but such a beautiful multifaceted name inspires us all differently :)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
More notes: "Chase Jeter" sounds like an unbelievable prick with a lot of money and he signed on to Duke
Prince Ali (mighty is he) signed on to UCLA
King McClure is going to go to Baylor

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Labissiere apparently had some extremely shady poo poo going on with some Caretaker/Agent/Guardian who sounded a little like a basketball-poverty predator from the writeups I seen, he ain't even in the NCAA yet and folks is already exploiting the poo poo out of him.

At some point he was apparently playing basketball for some prep academy that doesn't technically exist?

edit: for clarifying, his guardian was doing all the shady poo poo, Skal seems to be a fine young boy from all reports

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 13, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Why does everyone hate the Knicks we haven't done anything criminally retarded since Jackson came on :(

they've gone to the playoffs 4 times in the last 15 years and got out of the first round once

are they so jealous of the prospect of our shining star player Langston Galloway :(

Lockback posted:

I like the storyline of "They probably shouldn't have selected the ROY"

I'm going to deliberately misread "they" and say it reminds me that some years they shouldn't give out an Oscar for best movie because when all the movies suck it degrades the award

Victor and Rudy and Giannis gonna be all-stars soon tho

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Niwrad posted:

Bringing in Fisher, not getting anything of value for Tyson Chandler, not getting anything of value for Shumpert and JR, and maybe signing Carmelo to a full max.

Fisher's biggest mistake so far has been going on a 2-win streak at the end of the season

Chandler looked injured and dead, I'm really really surprised how well he's held up back in Dallas. I've never been a big fan of Calderon so I don't think they got anything near equal value, but all that ignores the biggest positive of the trade--Raymond Felton is no longer on my team.

the Shumpert/JR salary dump + 2nd round pick has yet to register for me as a bad thing because I like those guys a lot and it's fun to watch them on a winning team hmm

ahaha trading for Bargnani was egregious to the point that those things are all still relative positives

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

How many guys ever put that up? Payton, Stockton and Nash never did. Paul's the only guy in the past 20 years to do it.

9 dudes
http://www.basketball-reference.com...at=&order_by=ws
Deron Williams '10-'11 is the only dude other than Paul to do it in the last 20 years, he hovered around 20/10 for 4-6 years

MourningView posted:

Dumping JR and Shumpert was just a salary thing, and I don't think there was really a huge market for either guy anyway given how they were playing in New York and what JR was making.

hah first we're talkin' draft stuff in the NBA thread now we're talkin' NBA stuff in the draft thread

JR and Shumpert were definitely playing all the value out of their contracts but it does seem like they coulda got a little bit more for 'em. Although that 2019 pick might not be so bad when the Cavs suck forever after they alienate LeBron again.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
^^ you forgot Michael Adams (26.5/10.5 for the nuggets 90-91 on 66gp) but I had no idea he existed so who am I to talk edit: you edited it in. Who the heck was Michael Adams?

MCW was also a 22 year old rookie, which usually means you're not going to make The Leap.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 14, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
There's two things that'll make me really love a prospect -- excellent reflexes and sneaky dirty play (WILL TO WIN) and Russell putting the VCU dude on his face has both of those--
https://vine.co/v/OYa5LebaHag
(check out Russell's right hand for the dirty play)

Metapod posted:

does kanter's defense even matter when the other 4 players on the court will russ kd ibaka and morrow? that offense is unstoppable

In general, yes, it matters a whole lot. You really really want your PF/Cs to be able to protect the rim.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Fallen off a cliff and injured his hip then his ankle I think, injury shut him down weeks ago--he never played more than 10 games for 'em

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Here's a single clip for comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdId6AdS-xg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk06wUYjiDg

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
What're OKC's chances for a top 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
so (5/1000) + (5/999) + (5/998) = ~1.5% but then 4-14 things go in loss order so they'd get 14th?

• Locked thread